Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• atbearatbear Posts: 322
    "Have you ever looked into the thrasher charged guys in Indiana? Any good?"

Yeah, they are good guys... They're cage car is really fast. They are more race oriented than street performance oriented though, so I wouldn't go for their cam unless you don't plan to drive your car everyday! It's very aggressive!

"The Aurora air box isn't the greatest., but is very different than the Impala"

Right, you won't see those kind of gains by the K&N panel on the Impala, the stock airbox is too restrictive. If you gutted the Impala airbox you might see gains though! I don't doubt the gains on the Aurora V8.

"I'd be concerned about pulling hot air off the engine with an exposed cone filter. Hot air will lose you power."

You ARE certainly right there! The is very true. That is why I have a Fenderwell Intake (filter is in the fenderwell). I get cold air all the time! I had a Thrasher Cold Air Intake box, but I found it's quality to be less than perfect, so I sold it, and did the FWI.

"How do you know the Borla doesn't add much power??"

I haven't made it to the dyno yet, but others have and it really doesn't do much unless you open up the exhaust before it as well. The stock catback on the Impala isn't the restriction, it's the downpipe and ubend on our cars that is the restriction starting point. I got my exhaust because I've done downpipe/cat/ubend too, and I like the sound!

I went to the track stock and ran a 15.9 in 99 degree temps (I live in Baton Rouge, LA). I was running the same as a late 90's Mustang GT! Now I'm probably a few tenths faster, but not a whole whole lot. Once I get all my other mods I'll probably be low 14s in the 1/4. My ultimate goal is 13.999.

I love my Borla. It's NOT loud at all (people with Grand Prixs who have it sometimes complain it's not loud enough). But, it does have an awesome low tone. There's not a lot of drone with it either. And the quality is TOP NOTCH. Borla is straigh through design- best flowing on the market! I believe it's 2.5" into 2 2.25" pipes. Dual dual tips. It'll last forever. It's kinda pricey though. And if you have anything other than an '00 Impala, you'll have to get the 2nd hanger welded on, cause they changed that in '01 and Borla didn't update. I personally would suggest the GMPP Stainless Exhaust for a cheaper solution. They didn't have that out when I got my Borla. It's getting good reviews.

"How much $$ is that throttle body??? My understanding is that the TB and MAF are together as one unit on the Impala."

Yes, the TB and MAF are in the same unit, and are controlled together. That's why the TB is so important, makes great gains, and is a good mod even for a lesser modded Impala. The link to it is here: http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/products/prod_throttlebody_GT.ht- m . That is the Stage 1, and the Stage 2 will be out soon (I'm getting Stage 2).

Let me know if you have anymore questions... I've been researching this a long time, so I like to think I'm pretty knowledgable.. for a TON of info on our cars though, go hang out on www.ClubGP.com . That's where I've learned all my stuff. Good luck!
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    Thanks. You certainly have done your homework. The cone in the fenderwell sounds great. That info about the exhaust is really interesting too. I guess if the exhaust before the converter is lacking - then yeah, the stock exhaust is probably pretty good for what gets to it. I'll print your post out if I ever get an opportunity to work on our 01 LS. Very interesting about the Thrasher charged intake too. That thing looked good, but maybe that cone is a bit too stuffed in there. It may experience a lot of bad turbulence around the cone.

One thought - a simple K&N panel on the Impala may actually help more than you think. The way I see it is that because the box only allows a small area of the filter to be used, it's got to really hurt airflow. Therefore, opening it up with the K&N media may seem like a huge relief for the engine - unless the used area is so small that it is still restricted even with the better media. Another way to look at it is this - if the air was evenly drawn through -say - 2 sq.ft of filter (just for illustration here - that would be huge), paper would probably not offer much more resistance to flow than the K&N. As the filter area used gets smaller, the paper hits it limit as to what it can flow and resistance to flow probably goes up exponentially whereas the K&N panel may still be flowing OK without some exponential loss yet. Just a thought.

Back to questions - where/how did you improve the downpipe and U bend? Is there a kit?

You know, I do get ticked off at GM sometimes. That 3.8 is a great performer - I love it. But it seems GM will strangle these engines with half baked intake and exhausts. Why? For instance, the reason (my theory here) why the air box is so restrictive - it's to keep it quiet. If the box had more volume inside and used the entire filter area it would probably resonate more. The Aurora box used some double wall stuff - but on the inside so it was only slightly better flowing. If they want to keep things quite - double wall it on the outside.

The exhaust - no excuse for that. Throttle body too. A bigger TB is better for everything - even economy unless you hammer it too much.

Anyway, I just have to add that my other car is an overhead 4 cam 32 valve V8 (with one heck of a record at Indy) and I still have a lot of respect for the pushrod 3.8 in our Impala. I get tired of the pushrod bashers. They are great engines they offer economy, affordability and good performance.
  • 02lssport02lssport Posts: 75
    You can buy the downpipe, cat, and ubend replacement as a single bolt on. There is one at http://www.mandsproduction.com that looks like the best option.
    Atbear:
    I have read that many GPers have had the u-bend and resonator removed by a muffler shop as an inexpensive way of opening up the bottleneck and having a sportier exaust note.

Any thoughts???
    That TB looks great. That is pretty reasonable when sending back the core too.

What will be different on Stage 2???

The description makes it sound as though they taper the transition from the TB. That would be very good.

Also, when I dyno'd my TB on the Aurora (bored from 75mm to 80mm) it did indeed add power all over the curve. So I don't doubt the claims on the link saying it adds power throughout the curve. I really noticed it. Better throttle response and all.

I tried to tell RSM that the TB would be better if they tapered the transition from the MAF to the TB (on Aurora) and make it more bell shaped. They never listened. That one you link to seems to incorporate this idea.

Is it hard to do?? How do you get the TB off on the Impala? I can't even figure out how to get the rubber boot off the unit.
    "Atbear:
    I have read that many GPers have had the u-bend and resonator removed by a muffler shop as an inexpensive way of opening up the bottleneck and having a sportier exaust note.
    Any thoughts???"

The ubend is a restriction, the resonator is not. Depending on your planned mods, the best route changes... for a quick fix just do the ubend. For a complete fix get the DP/Cat/Ubend and a Cat-Back system.
    "What will be different on Stage 2 TB???"

Stage 2 should be way better. I believe the only mod on the Stage one is porting, but the Stage 2 will have optimized MAF tables and such.. and might come with larger fuel injectors.

"Is it hard to do?? How do you get the TB off on the Impala? I can't even figure out how to get the rubber boot off the unit."

It's super duper easy. You just pull the boot off with force. And then the TB is held down with four simple screws. Very easy and quick.. Yes the new TB is tapered for High Velocity!
    Thanks. That sounds easier than the Aurora. I'm always afraid to use a lot of force on anything. I take it that you have to mess with those throttle cables too - but those aren't that bad I guess.

I'm tempted to do this. Sounds cool.

Can you give me some idea of what is better about the after market drop pipe? Difference in diameters, smoother bends, stuff like that. What's so bad about the stock one? That is interesting.

Also, any links to your intake would be cool - or did you fab that yourself? Yours sounds very good.

If you did the drop pipe, and Borla, would you get some good gains?
    I don't think you have to mess with anything... but probably just unhook/rehook them. I've never done it before.

The Downpipe is pretty small. It's 2.5" pipe, but it's insulated, so the I.D. is even smaller than that! I got a 3" DP/Cat/Ubend all the way through with a 2.5" exit to bolt onto my Borla Catback. With the DP/Cat/Ubend and Catback, you'll probably get about 10-15HP total, and that's if you have already done intake. The exhaust really isn't restrictive in it's stock form. But once you start modding, it becomes restrictive.

I had a Thrasher Cold Air Intake Box, but it wasn't working like I'd hoped (when you stopped at a light or in taffic, the heat would "leak" into the box). So I sold it and made a Fenderwell Intake. It's pretty good (better). Give me your email and I'll email you my directions. Another option for you is to wait for the ZZP Intake that'll be coming out. It's should be the best thing out when it's released. It's like the Thrasher, but better sealed and with more available air. The Thrasher was pretty low quality. Let me know if you have any questions...
    atbear - send me any info at greg.garnes@earthtech.com Thanks. Pictures are cool. I may do some of this someday. The TB is really interesting.
  • I'm working on a custom grill for my '03 Impala. Does anybody have the part number for this piece, or even better, access to a drawing? I'd like to use the original drawing to be sure I've got the dimensions correct.

TIA.
    The Impala Grille is Part # 10289769 and it's $107.80 from the factory.
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Posts: 91
    atbear, I spent some time at the dealer and I got a second opinion telling me the number was 10306212. Then I spoke to mechanic who said sure everything was fine, we had to order the cluster and then they would send it off somewhere else to be programmed.

Then I got home and got a call from the parts person who told me that GM said that you can't switch them out, it would not work. So I'm not going to take no for an answer, I'm going to go back and talk to the mechanic again and then try to get it set up to where at least if it dosen't work out, I can get money back on the cluster.

I will keep you informed and let you know if/when I get it done.
    Hmm.. everything you said makes sense, except the part number I have for LS SPORT is 10306213. I know I'm right, unless it's been changed in the past 2 months. I'm not saying you aren't right, but just make sure before you order. Good luck, let us know what happens!
  • txguytxguy Posts: 57
    I saw the earlier post about going to a Xenon lamp. Does that really improve the output? These LS stock fog lamps seem to be for appearance only. They are pathetic in the fog as I have found out each morning this past week during my 55 miles daily trip to work. We've had thick fog each day.
    I'm putting xenon's in place of the factory fog lights real soon so I'll let you know!
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Posts: 145
    Does anyone know if there are any good vinyl floormats, that cover most/all of the carpet area in the front floorboard, being made? Also, does who manufacturers/sells these have any that are close to the neutral color of the 2001 Impala? I would like to find some because I have some of the cheaper floormats which do not cover very much space. Thanks for any and all input!
  • tommy42tommy42 Posts: 70
    try Mats For Less
  • 2002ls2002ls Posts: 11
    I ahve a 2002 LS and I have upgraded to 130 watt xenon bulbs. They throw out a bit more light, but the real problem is in the reflector behind the bulb. It is very poor compared to other factory fog lights out there. I am going to try and put a mirror coating on the reflectors, I'll let you know if it works.