Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne: Interior

My dealer tells me GM is holding back on the 5 seat model (buckets) for right now for some reason. Anyone know anything about this? :confuse:

Comments

• keith3keith3 Posts: 17
    5 seat models were very scarce in Illinois in January when we were looking. 6 seat versions were everywhere. We ordered a 5 seat CXL 18 Jan. Car built 30 Jan., delivered to us 14 Feb.

Dealer told us that 6 seat glut was not a GM thing. He said that the dealers were getting what they ordered and most thought 6 seat model would be more popular. Maybe just talk, but that's what he said.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Posts: 77
    I placed an order for a Lucerne CXL V8 late last week and just received this word from my dealer:
    "We were told that production would not start next week. Production has put constraints on Lucerne’s built with the front bucket seats and 17’ Chrome Aluminum wheels.

"They did not give me a reason, but I suspect it is high volume of cars with these options already built. I will continue to investigate further on Monday."
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    What probably happened is that the product manager at Buick has to estimate the options before the vehicle goes into production. He/she does this by looking at past percentages and just gut feel. Probably he overestimated the bench (40/20/40) seats and non uplevel wheels due to the high penetration of these on the c/o vehicle. Now that the car is out the new styling has brought in a new class of buyer, ie not old, and the tooling is not enough for the buckets and uplevel wheels.
  • Strange that Buick would under-estimate or not be prepared for the demand for bucket seats if that is a feature that younger buyers prefer, when that is the new group they are trying to attract. The flagship CXS is only offered with buckets. They had better fix that problem in a hurry.
    I have confirmed that the CXL with buckets and 17" chrome wheels are on constraint (orders still being taken and built but slower than orders taken).

The penetration of these two options are higher than forecasted and tooling capacity is not high enough. By 2nd quarter increased tooling should be completed and constraints lifted.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    A reporter in Southern California is looking to interview a retiree who has been very loyal to the Buick brand over the years, right up to the present. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, March 22, 2006 containing your daytime contact information and a few words about the topic of interest.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Since 1985 have owned ONLY New Buicks, and before that used ones!
    After recently driving Grand Marquis, Avalon, and Azzera, the Buick Lucerne is my CLEAR choice.

WHY?? Because my priority is a quiet and comfortable ride.

The Lucerne has only one SERIOUS drawback, narrow eating surfaces. The Lacrosse seats are 20 inches wide, my Park Ave seats measure 21 inches, and the Lucerne seats taper down to 18 inches!!!!!
    Why does the full size car, costing thousands more, have smaller seats than GM's mid-size car????

This just may be a deal breaker for me...........
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Why not respond to the email address given?
  • You ask why not respond to e-mail address?

Respond to what? What is your question to my opinion about uncomfortable seats in a $30,000 CAR?

This IS a fine automobile and certainly retains the Buick feeling and character that I have chosen for 30 + years.

However I am ready to replace my Park Ave. NOW!

I have been in contact with GM about this issue (Small seating surfaces) in their "Flagship Car", and I await their reply.

Just a couple OF years ago Buick boasted of "Catchers-Mit"
    Seats in the Lesabre, and Parkave. This was a FAR SUPERIOR design to what is NOW offered. I want to go Forward NOT Backward relating to comfort when I am prepared to spend over 30K of my money.

I prefer cloth seating to leather. It does not need to be heated when cold nor cooled when hot!
    Cloth has a neutral feeling.

Unfortunately the cloth seats in the Lucerne DO NOT look like they belong in a near luxury automobile.
    Again the seating surface is INFERIOR both in COMFORT AND
    APPEARANCE to what is in the Lacrosse CX!
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    All I know is that the leather seats in my CXS are probably the most comfortable seats I've had in any car I've owned. I've taken 5 hour trips in the car and never had any problems whatsoever. Don't notice any type of "narrow" seat in the car, either.
    Take it EASY!! HOST was referring to message 1046 looking for loyal Buick owners to talk to reporters. Does not really care about your seats.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I have yet to drive the Lucerne, but I can tell you that the car is impressive from what I have seen, and the seats are excellent for the average sized driver. I have never had an issue with GM seats and think they have always been one of the best. Keep in mind that now-a-days a lot of the seats in new vehicles are not made by the manufactures but by seat companies. GM and Chrysler for years were/is using the same seats in their mini vans, and the regular Cobalt seats went through extensive testing to provide excellent support for long distance driving (though some say they are too firm), and they also offer the Recaro seats in the top of the line SS supercharged coupe.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi, sorry, I think we've had a misunderstanding.

You replied to this message KarenS, "Buick Lucerne" #1046, 16 Mar 2006 11:20 am where the Edmunds.com public relations officer was inviting loyal Buick owners to email her if you were interested in talking to a reporter about your experiences.

If you'd like to talk to the reporter, you need to reply to the email address listed in that post.

In any case, you are welcome to post here. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    The widest seats are to be found in the Marquis, but they don't hold you in very well. The Lucerne's seats are still a lot better than the Azera's which are too small and flat. Has anyone compared the CX and the CXL for ride and handling? i notice Buick uses the CX in its noise comparisons with competitors. I suspect it's because of the softer and quieter tires on the CX.
  • Thanks for your comments about the seats in Grand Marquis.
    I was glad to see someone else agreed with my observations, in the Edmunds column CONSUMER REVIEWS on 1/07/06 Sarge writes: Not as nice as Park Ave. Small seats"
    I guess we all are entitled to our opinion, and to repeat the seats in the MID SIZE Lacrosse DO measure a full 2"wider, so they give up some comfort for eye appeal.
    I will very likely still buy the Lucerne because it is heads above all competition when it comes to it's ride dynamics.

I have driven CX,CXL V-6, and CXL V-8. The CX has 16" tires and is bit quieter,with more road isolation.Buick describes it as"Premium ride". The CXL was only slightly more firm,and I, who like a soft ride, liked it also,however at highway speeds a little more tire noise made it's way into the cabin.Buick calls this type their "Ride and handling" suspension, and comes with firmer 17' tires.
    I just sat in a Lucerne and the seats are a bit skinny. If you have a slightly larger than trim tush it may not fit as well as you would like! (I am 5'10 and 180#)
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    This is a repost of an earlier comment about the seats in the Lucerne.

My "bucket", at 5-11 and and a little heavy, simply does not fit well in the CXS bucket seats. They are not nearly as comfortable and supportive as the seats in my '03 Avalon. However, the bench seat in the CXL is great! Feels very nice, no problem at all. Anyone thinking Lucerne needs to check out the seat types carefully and then make an informed choice. They are very different... at least to me.

Also, at the rate Lucerne is changing... price drops, additional things, etc., it is almost a game as to when to buy one. What's up for next week? This needs to settle down a bit to keep everybody happy. Again, the car is on my list and all information posted here is appreciated.
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    I have trouble believing that. I'm 6'3", 265 pounds and have never been uncomfortable in them. I'm approaching 6,000 miles in the car.
    Seats are very subjective. I was part of the GM seat test team. We drove for hours and hours for days and days in seats and scored them using quantitative numerical scores.

I never tested the Lucerne though. But they are just a bit tight. I think the reason is that the space between the door and the seat was widened to allow better hand access to seat controls. Also the edges of the seat seem to be stiffened up by the plastic and console on the sides.

I am pretty sure the bucket seats are the same as the "bench" seats with a console in one and a convertible seat/storage in the other.
  • jvprjvpr Posts: 48
    Is the dash of the Lucerne the same one as the DTS? Somehow it looks like a recycled dash.

As for the seats, I've never been fond of bench seats. I've been driving BMW now for 10 years and I think they have the best seats in the industry. Although I have to say that Audi has been making an amazing car with the A4 and A6 lately. The Lexus IS 350 has also made a finely crafted interior. The Lexus is an amazing performance car- but BMW will always be the ultimate driving machine- from the seats to the motor. If it's not too late, GM needs to stop badging cars, stop recycling engines (they put the corvette engine into numerous cars), build better interiors, stop making cheap horsepowered cars, bump up Cadillacs performance so it can compete with Lexus and BMW and lastly supply dealers with cars to meet public demand on the Solstice. No offense- but GM will never compete with Lexus and BMW.