Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Brake Problems

Comments

• 2008 Camry Hybrid with 30100 miles. The brakes have started to squeal only when backing up when the car has been sitting for a while. There is no noise upon braking when the car is in drive. Anyone have any idea what is wrong?
  • As I back up from the house I hear a noise coming from under the car. Once I stop and drive on the noise goes away and will not come back until the next day. Anyone have an idea of what it is,????
  • I received my 2010 TCH in October - I immediately sensed the lag problem with the brakes. Really uncomfortable about coming within a few inches of car ahead....

Are the 201o TCH and PRIUS sharing the same software/firmware and/or braking system?

If so, why not recall all at same time and get it over with?
  • Are the brakes sqealing only whenin reverse? what is the mileage on your car?
  • Hello , yes only when in reverese and when cold. 636300 miles/
  • Just had the same problem....have dealer check TSB 0385-08. The brake pads were replaced, shim kit installed and I think the calipers were replaced. Noise is now gone.
  • I have 2007 Camry Hybrid and I also sensed the lag problem with the brakes as well.

My brake do not always engage immediately when I press the brake pedal, and the brake have an inconsistent feel as well.

Should I be concerned about this?
  • Thank you so much, I made a copy and will take the car to the dealer.
  • My 2007 has funny feeling brakes. I always have to hit them twice before they seem to work. I have spoken to family members about this, but not to Toyota directly yet. As far as I can tell there is no recall for this problem for a 2007 Hybrid Camry.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    edited February 2010
    I have almost 60,000 miles on my 2007 TCH and have experienced nothing like that.

The requirement of "hitting them twice" seems like a serious problem. You need to get to a dealer.

I have not noticed anything different on my car than any other car.
  • I called Toyota's customer assistance line. I was hung up on twice because according to the recorded message they had too many calls so I would have to call back. Then the phone went dead.. I then called again and got put on hold for 2 hours and 8 minutes. I was calling because I had just come from the dealership for the accelerator pedal and floor mat recall. They told me that my 2007 Camry with just 29,700 mile on it had bad break pads and rotors and I need to spend over $900 to have the breaks repaired. I told the dealership I need to talk with someone at Toyota. They gave me the customer assistance number to call. After I reached a representative I was told they would look into it and get back to me tomorrow. Because I did not receive a call back I went on the web and found a Toyota technical service bulletin saying that the 2007 Camry had bad break pads that would cause premature wear. It said do not tell the customers about this unless they complain. I called Toyota again; this time waited 1 hr for someone to answer. They said that the customer service bulletin T-BR007-07 was not for me but for the dealerships. I said well is says that the break pads installed in my car we defective and should be replaced, She said, that is only if you complain. I said, well I am complaining. Then I asked to talk with a supervisor. She said that was impossible today I would have to wait till Monday. I said, I have a car that is dangerous to drive, and I want to resolve the issue today. She said that is impossible. I said I will call back and ask to speak to a supervisor, she said no one will let you talk to a supervisor.

To say I am upset is an understatement. The car company has an internal document stating that my break pads are defective, but never tells me. I was just lucky that the service technician looked at the breaks when rotating my tires and discovered the problem. I and I and my family could have been injured or killed. We could have killed others. Toyota won’t even let me talk with someone to resolve this issue. They said I could go the dealership and talk to the customer relations manager. I did that and was told he is not in, and is not expected to be in for some time.

I am in disbelief and how reckless Toyota is with it customers. And I am very concerned about how I can drive this car. What else is wrong that they are not telling me about?? If you have any suggestions on how I can resolve this situation I will very much appreciate it.
    :sick:
  • tini56tini56 Posts: 1
    @ JFisher- let me know the outcome of this. I have an 07 with 21K miles on it and yesterday rear ened someone because my car failed to stop while having 10ft of distance between cars. My ABS kicked in and i have ceramic pieces of break pedals or something on my floor mat. not sure if it's pads or what.

thanks!
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Posts: 508
    Finally had an issue...my rear right wheel starting squealing badly. Dealer tells me its the squeal pads--took it apart and the rear pads were shot, and the rotors were a little torn up. My car has 70k miles--so I really can't complain.

About $420 for new pads and resurfaced rotors. Ouch, but...its the first time I've ever had to put money in the car, other than they crappy Bridgestones that worn out at 24. (The OEM Michelins have been on ever since--I don't like them, but they've had a long life.)
  • Yes, I have had this problem wheh I bought it new. I have just a little over 30,000 miles and have had it checked numerous times and they cannot find anything wrong. It happens sporadically even when driven for a while. But mainly backing out of my driveway in the mornings. Now my warranty has expired so they will probably find the problem and I will have to pay for it to get it fixed. Go figure........
  • My car started to make some sounds like what you have but my condition is only when I press the brake pedal. My car has 101521 miles but it's in excellent
    Mechanic shape. I did noted that the brake fluid was down from the full mark
    And I have no leaks? I added to the full mark but stills the same.
    Went to the local dealer They had it for a day, the service writer told me that
    They would bleed the system to see if that would fix the issue.
    I pick up my car ! No more noise so far. Let's see if that did the job.
  • margaz3margaz3 Posts: 1
    I want to change the brake pads for my TCH, but I want to make sure that its the same will other vehicles.
  • I had a similar problem on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. It cost me over $600 to replace my rotors and brake pads. I encountered a very violent vibration while braking on a downhill mountain grade. At the time I thought the brakes would fail under the vibration (shook the entire car and felt very violent at the steering wheel). Immediately I went to a Toyota Dealership. Since the repair it brakes smoothly (please note that I understand the feel of braking on a Toyota Hybrid) and I have had no further issues... tire wear has also extended considerably. Besides having to pay for this repair the car has performed well.
  • WATCH OUT NOW!!! Toyota Camry Hybrid Anti-Lock Mechanism (computer controlled) will FAIL WITH NO WARNING!!! Toyota service people will deny hearing of this problem!! BALONEY!!! Happened to me on my 2008 and a friend with a 2007 same thing happened. Now what are the odds huh?
    Your brakes will lock up and the car will move BUT... you will have to rev the engine - the tow guy had a heck of a time! BTW, the repair is over $2000.00
    YES!!! $2000.00 because they must replace the whole unit and not the little tiny computer part inside... WOW what a scam huh? :sick:
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Troll Alert.....