Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Brake Problems

124»

Comments

• rgbizzrgbizz Posts: 1
    Stability control light comes on when braking hard at a stop light and then it takes the car a couple of seconds to start when I press on the gas. I had the car (Camry Hybrid 2012) checked today at the dealer and they said that is normal with all hybrid cars. Can anyone confirm that? I can reproduce it just by pressing hard on the brake pedal while stopped. This can be unsafe since the car does not respond for a few seconds after that...

I am wondering if this is indeed a "normal" behavior. It seems the be a firmware bug, it does not make any sense for stability control to be activated when stopping the car on a dry road

Thanks
  • There is a possibility that the stability control light coming on is due to low brake fluid. At least that would be easy to check. We had a 2009 Maxima that slowly leaked the brake fluid and when it got to a certain point, the stability control light would come on and sometimes stay on. Don't know about why the engine has trouble starting after the light comes on.
  • My car began to make noises coming from the right side which took 5-10 minutes to subside. I showed it to the dealer and they said it was the ACTUATOR but it didn't do it long enough to be worried. They recommended me to come back after it makes the sound for over 20-30 minutes. I was back within a week, when all the lights (including ABS) went on while driving back from San Francisco. Now they are saying it's $2700 just to pay for the actual part + the labor. I am negotiating with them. Any suggestions?
  • In response to : sheida
    I had the same problem (Replace ABS Actuator) with my 2007 Camry Hybrid (54,403 Miles). The problem was diagnosed at a local Toyota Service Dept. Cost quote from Toyota was $2700+Labor! I declined Toyota's repairs! I went to the Internet search engine, Google, and typed in Toyota Part Number off of the engine to see other available sources. The cost ranged from $600 to $1700. I then went to eBay and did a search for the part. I found a seller for $450 and offered $300+shipping to Hawaii. I was the only bidder since the part had a small crack but the seller guaranteed the part. I got the part within a week and installed it yesterday in 25 minutes. Only 1 mounting bolt on each side, and 6 intake ports at the top of the unit. I am not a mechanic but I did research on line about removal and installation of the ABS Actuator. The job was completed for $347.00! After test driving, all warning lights have cleared and that annoying buzzing stop!!! Don't let Toyota rip you off!

harry
  • When did your car start making the noise? before driving? during or when it was parked? Did any warning lights come on at first? What does the actuator do?
  • g1822g1822 Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 TCH and all the brake warning lights went on and the message "Check VSC System" came on as well. I waited 2 weeks to get an appointment with the dealer and when I took it in today they said I also needed an actuator. They are quoting me something like $4,400. I like Harry live in Hawaii and I don't know what to do. My car is barely 5 years old. I shouldn't have to be shelling out this kind of money. I'm hoping Harry sees this message and can help since he lives in Hawaii too.
  • ujiriujiri Posts: 1
    To Harry, and anyone who knows. .

I am so happy hearing this, with so much insight from you. Sheida thanks for bringing this up. I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, limited for 2 years now. I was travelling at about 100km/h and came across a pothole. Instinctively, I applied brakes. Immediately the ABS, VSC, caution lights came up on the dashboard and remained. On visiting my mechanic for probable brake pads change, thinking that the pads were worn, it was discovered that the calipers cylinders was in a stuck out position. This was serviced and brake pads replaced, but lost effective braking when brakes is applied after this. There came the consistent hissing sound from under the hood on the passenger side that would never go away once the gear is engaged. I have tried with a Toyota service centre scan tool to clear this without successs. On my own, I decided to crack open a little bit the 4 lines connected to the top of the ABS actuator pump. I find out that when I press the brakes, only 2 lines pours out hydraulic brake fluid. Could it be that the problem I have is a bad actuator pump that needs replacement or does it have to do with some sensors or ecu? Please someone help me.... Rgds
  • 89fj6289fj62 Posts: 20
    I am guessing you are correct about the actuator pump. My son had problems with his brakes on his Rav-4 and had to take car to a Toyota garage to have the abs bled by computer hookup. It may be the same for you. If you want to research your problem you can buy a 2 day subscription to TIS ( Toyota information system ) It costs around $10 but contains all the information available for your vehicle.
124»