Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Hyundai Elantra 5 speed/ engine idle racing

moledad125moledad125 Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
My 2001 El antra with 140 HP engine has 2015 miles on it. The problem is that sometimes when I'm in neutral or depress the clutch, the engine will idle at 3500rpm's. Now, when you put it in gear and take off, lets say taking rpm's to 4000 and depress the clutch to shift, the engine won't wind down! It will remain at 4000rpm's. It does this intermittently and occurs usually once a week. The first few times it happened it lasted about 10 min.I thought this might be some kind of break-in thing. It happened yesterday and lasted about 1hr! I brought it to my dealer and they say they can't find anything wrong with it! Is this Hyundai's way of winning over customers? I should have bought the Honda Civic! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    It could be that your accelerator cable is sticking intermittently. Another possible cause is a malfunctioning mass air-flow sensor. I think its the cable. When it happens next time, open the hood and tug on the accelerator cable or pull on the throttle arm. If the rpms drop back down, than you know your cable is binding up somewhere and getting stuck. It is very easy for that to happen, as it is a simple metal wire that connects your foot to the throttle. Was the car's idle actually racing when you took it in? I would think they would recognize a problem if it was and attempted to fix it. Anyway, hope my idea helps.
This discussion has been closed.