Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty/Liberty Diesel Brakes

1235»

Comments

• gmc11gmc11 Posts: 9
    Dealer replaced the CAB module. Problem still exists. Jeep is synonymous with Junk!
  • blubayoublubayou Posts: 2
    I've replaced both front & back pads, rear rotors twice and now when I brake, the steerling wheel is once again vibrating. What is wrong with my 05 Liberty? Everything else has been okay so far. I've got 53K miles to date.
    Other than the stains on the seats and the brake issue - I've been rather content with my LIberty.
    If my problem sounds familiaror there are solutions or explanations, please advise. The thought of spending another $450 is just not cool.
    Thanks.
  • sthogesthoge Posts: 28
    Vibration in the steering wheel while braking is typically caused by a warped rotor. I'm sure that's why the dealer wants to replace them. If the rotors haven't been turned before, having them turned/re-ground will normally take care of that problem otherwise, yes, new rotors are in order. Now with that said, let's talk about causes. It's been my experience that warping of the rotors are typically caused by the wheels not being torqued properly when they are changed. So the next question would be who rotates your tires. I rotate mine every 5,000 miles or so and because I do it myself, I know that I have torqued the studs myself. If you have it done at a tire store, they can be lazy at times and simply zip them on with the air gun and there is no way to have each bolt tightened at the same number of foot pounds. If you do them by hand, then you need a torque wrench to make sure that they are.
    Untorqed lugs will cause uneven pressure on the rotor and when you do either a high speed stop or a lot of stop and go, the rotors heat up a lot and when cooling down it will cool down unevenly causing warping of the rotors.

At least that's been my experience in all the vehicles that I've worked on in the past. I've got the same year and about the same miles on my liberty as you do and I still have the factory brakes and rotors on it.
  • meme12meme12 Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 jeep liberty limited with 84,000 miles. The last 2 years when it rains my brakes seem to lock up which causes me to slide. i have had 2 brake jobs, drum cleaning and finally a drum replacement. None have solved the issue and jeep delaer is clueless. the only person who seemed to know what he was doing is no longer at the dealer.
    my issue of the locking up is now starting to happen even when it does not rain - any ideas what this issue is??
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,796
    I have a couple of thoughts.

1. Is the proportioning valve in good working order?
    2. Are the rear brakes adjusted correctly?
    3. Are you still running the factory brake fluid and has the system ever been flushed?
    i brought her in for a tune up back in March - i dont recall them flushing out the brake fluid - i will bring it in again and have them check the above that you suggested
    thanks!!!! this has been a very frustrating issue for me for the last couple of years and i appreciate your feedback
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,796
    Generally, brake system flush is not on the maintenance menu and you have to request it. Shop around as the price varies from place to place. Bringing your own fluid will generally save you a few dollars.

If the shop uses BG Products, which is good stuff, then go there.
    If the rest of the fluids are original, like power steering, it might be worth your while to have that done too.

One other thought about the rear lock up is that you never mentioned if you had antilock brakes. If so, have the sensors checked.
    i do have anti lock brakes - it sounds like i need to have all my fluids replaced and a few things checked:)
    thank you - very much appreciated
  • I have a 06 liberty diesel that was making a grinding, dragging noise from the rear drivers side wheel. When I removed the rear tire and brake rotor I found the remains of a aluminum rivet in the "hat" portion of the rotor. I then discovered that the backing plate that holds the parking brake assemble had come loose from the axle. It is only held in place by two small aluminum rivets. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you get at the backing plate to replace the rivets?
  • gbeck5gbeck5 Posts: 1
    I have replaced the breakpads and the calliveter on my 2005 jeep liberty. What else could be causing them to lock up every other day :cry:
  • I am An owner of a 2005 Jeep CRD as well. I am now experiancing the brake problem that you were talking about in #82. I Have taken my jeep to the dealership back and fourth for over 3 months now. I was wondering if you had found out what the problem was. I am looking forward to getting my jeep fixed and just need and awnser and the dealership cant give me one.
  • gmc11gmc11 Posts: 9
    I finally told the dealer to replace the pads and to check the rotors. They resurfaced the front discs and found that both rear rotors were delaminated (junk). They put new rear rotors on and one of the rear calipers was seized so they replaced that. They replaced the pads on all four wheels. This solved the problem. The brakes felt like new again and the peddle did not fade. This was done at approximately 55,000 miles on the odometer.
  • iaokieiaokie Posts: 1
    My 05 libertys brakes lock up intermittenly
    One day there fine the next day I'm driving down the road and all 4 brakes slowly start to lock up to the point of not being able to move without pushing the gas pedal half way to th floor
    Ive be told it's the proportional valve or master cylinder
    Any ideas
  • I told the dealership to replace all pads,calipers,and rotors. Then they test drove it for 2 days and said it was fine but it wasn't. Problem still exists. Brake petal goes to the floor more if you hit the brakes, then let off and hit them again. Dealership states that they have replaced everything except the hoses which arn't leaking.
    Any other ideas?
  • Excellent advice! After reading this, I checked my owner's manual for the torque spec and sure enough the owner's manual states the same thing that you say. When I checked the torque, some were so tight I thought I'd break the wheel bolts trying to loosen them and others backed off easily. I will be torqueing the bolts from now on every time I have my tires rotated and balanced.
  • I checked the brakes of some other vehicles with anti-lock brakes and found that they do the same thing. The anti-lock brakes stop the vehicle by modulating the brakes on and off very rapidly. What if they are staying in the off mode and bypassing the fluid? BTW, my brakes will still go to the floor if I apply constant pressure to them when the vehicle is running. If the vehicle is off however, the brakes are firm and will not go to the floor. We need a mechanic to explain that.
1235»