Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A3 Suspension Questions

2»

Comments

• lilseamuslilseamus Posts: 1
    I also have enjoyed my '07 A3 since november. Speedy little girl with good handling and great options. However, I am struggling with this road noise and tire wear issue, and it is beginning to frustrate me. I have 42K miles, gone through 10 tires, 3 alignments, and hours of arguing. My current set of tires are 12K miles old, and are already Cupping!!!!! I can not afford to be buying new tires every 15K. I could just put that into my car payment and drive an A8. I drive ALL highway miles on nice roads. Does anyone have any idea what causes this problem? I really need a fix, not new tires. Please help
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Posts: 126
    I have the same concerns lilseamus...I might be swapping cars sooner than i want to...
    Last time i visited my closest audi dealer, there was a guy there with an A4 Quattro...(i have an 06 A3, my first set lasted 20,000)with 20,000 miles his tires were shot.

I'm told by some local mechanics "Audi's" are know to chew up tires! I don't think the awd subaru's are prone to this.

Help us out guys!!!!
    don
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341
    On my 2006 A3 2.0 DSG Sport I got the rarer OEM performance tires, the Dunlop Sport Maxx's. These are fantastic tires. Yes, they will barely last 20,000 miles, and if it was winter, I'd probably have to change them right now at 18K.

However, they have fantastic grip and traction, especially on wet roads, it's almost like rain is irrelevant to my A3's handling with these tires. I believe most A3's came with Continental Performance tires which don't rate nearly as well from reviews I've read. I can't complain about 20K miles from ultra high performance tires, I think thats about right with my aggressive driving style to boot.

However, due to a special deal I am purchasing Falken's FK-452's in 225/45R17 size (just like the OEM size). These are AA traction rated, Y speed rated, and 94 load factor just like the Dunlop Sport Maxx's, but for a lot less money.

The only real complaint about my OEM tires is that I thought they had too much road noise develop when roads were not ideal. With smooth freshly paved roads however, they were quiet.
  • Hi!
    It's now march 2008... How do you like the potenza's?
    I need to replace the pirelli but i can't decide on a make.
    Thanks for your help
  • saccyclistsaccyclist Posts: 1
    I have nearly 8,000 miles on my 2007 Audi A3. Overall, I am very pleased with the car. It is simply a blast to drive. About a week ago, however, I noticed a rattle/clunking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. I checked the cargo tray, rear seats, spare tire, and even removed my roof mounted bike rack. All items were properly secured. The noise persisted. I returned to the dealership for assistance. Fortunately, the service advisor heard the noise. We then asked a technician to ride in the car. With a person sitting in the rear seat, the noise stopped. The dealership then tried to convince me that the noise was normal. To prove their point, they asked me to drive a brand new A3 and explained the vehicle's suspension has "elasticity". Of course, the new A3 did not make this same noise I refused to accept this explanation. The vehicle is still at the dealership. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Thank You
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,021
    So there's a noise with no one in the backseat, and no noise with someone in the back seat and the dealer can't add 2+2 = 4?

Well then, suggest to them that it *might* have something to do with the rear suspension, which is further compressed with rear passengers.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

I've had an extremely rarely occurring rattle in the back of my A3 as well. Check the seat belts, I'm sure its that, particularly the ones on the side that can have hard plastic and metal buckles coming into contact and vibration with the plastic trim, moldings, and panels on the rear/side panels.

That's what it was in mine, and I haven't heard it since I adjusted the seat belt buckles on the belts.
  • tzhangtzhang Posts: 3
    I had my A3for about 2.5 yrs with 24K miles on it. The tire noise was driving me crazy. Every time when I drive on I-95 I had to turn up the music. I just replaced all the tires with
    Falken ZE-912. Man, that made a big different and the noise is gone.
  • Hey Marc,
    That is a bunch of crock. The A3 has some sort of issue with the suspension where at approx 5-7,500 the tires start "cupping". As a fed up A3 owner I hope they come up with a solution because I can't buy tires every 7,500 miles.
    Larry
    "cupping" will definitely increase tire noise. They'll wail like an 18-wheeler.

Cupping is usually associated with a weak suspension BTW or at least a very active one that's doing a lot of hopping around.

• Hi

I have an Oct 87 A3 Sportback which was fine until about 3 months ago then it developed a noise like spanners rattling loose somewhere and with the window down at low speed it was even louder.

Having checked behind trim panels and in the spare wheel well I found what I thought was the problem, fastened under each suspension arm is a plastic cover to keep dirt off the suspension bushes etc.

At its first service I asked the garage in France (as I am over here at the moment) to investigate. The solution! they removed the covers, they told me its a common fault, they serve no useful purpose and they always remove them.

The noise has gone but I checked with audi Uk who say they would never remove them they should have been refitted correctly. Hope this helps
  • I have a brand new A3, and i found the air suspension very noisy, is this normal, because is very stresfull when you have your windows open..... Pshh, Pshh, Pshh every second .... men !!!!
  • hey everyone, i'm new to the thread but have been suffering the cupping issue on my 2006 A3. Multiple mechanics have told me that cupping is a suspension issue as you all have mentioned, but that the suspension is operating fine on the car. What they're concluding is that the car is too light for the suspension system that Audi has chosen to install on the vehicle (probably the same equipment they use on heavier models like A4, etc). . .so, I filed a complaint at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm. . .I encourage everyone to do the same in hopes of getting a recall ordered and this issue remedied.
  • arejohnarejohn Posts: 2
    It's not cupping, it's feathering. Early 350z had it on front BS tires. Nissan modified the front toe spec and BS modified tire tread edge pattern. Nissan released TSB and paid for tires and alignment.
  • txf70txf70 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 A3 S-line Sportback, 2.0T... Since I bought it in Feb 08, I have noticed what is like a small "wobble" feeling which I would feel in the seat and floorboard. I have taken it to dealers constantly and 1 mechanic acknowledged feeling it as well, but had no idea what it was other than maybe the tire pressure. How can you tell if your car tires are "cupping"?
    To try to explain the problem better, imagine feeling a continual and rhythmic "bump" alternating from right to left even on smooth roads, and it continues up until around 50 MPH where I no longer notice it (or when making turns). If anyone has a similar problem or idea, please share.
    BTW, unfortunately, I am in Italy driving a US Spec car and finding a helpful dealer/mechanic is a nightmare.
  • The tires will be warped and unevenly worn. If you can go to a tire center (like sears in the US) they can check the tires, and also check your alignment (rear and front) and determine what the cause is. In my case it was alignment being off in front and rear. You will need new tires but the problem should not continue.
  • Don, I have the same problem with my 2008 A3. My A3 has P6 on it. They are noisy to the point replacing them. However, I was talking to my mechanic friend and he told me that the rear-end of the A3 toe-in is not adjustable. He said that the problem is due to much toe-in and camber settings. Have you or anyone heard anything about this? Also, I looking for a workshop manual for eh car, paper copy or electronic copy.

Tony---2008, A3
  • Shipo, I know I am replying to an old posting. But do you know if the A3 S-line rear suspension is fully adjustable? i.e., Toe-in, camber, custer, etc?

Tony
  • aattardaattard Posts: 7
    Larry, did you confirm the suspension setting issue with the A3. I have heard the same thing from another Audi mechanic. If the rear suspension is non-adjustable, (toe-in, caster, and camber, etc.), I do not see how another set of tires is going to fix the problem. Someone, please respond. I cannot stand the the noise any more. Thanks abunch in advance.

Tony
  • I have a 2008 A3 sLine. Lots of road noise. Was just told by the dealer that the issue is due to feathering on the tires and that the A3 is prone to it. My Toyo Proxies 4 are virtually new and have been ruined.

Can anyone advise regarding the question of suspension adjustment or modification to alleviate this issue?
    Yep, feathering would certainly make a tire noisy. Some tires seem more prone to this than others.

The common cause is incorrect toe-in (alignment problem). it's also possible that there is some worn front suspension bushing causing things to shift around.

while coming to a stop from almost a dead stop. You know that last second where the car goes from 1 to 0 MPH and the weight transfers and the car bobs a tid bit. I'm hearing noise now where once there was no audible noise.
2»