Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Front wheels locked on 1990 Mitsubishi Montero front and four wheel drive

dorothy4dorothy4 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Mitsubishi
I would like to know if anyone can give me any information on how to unlock the front wheels on my 1990 Mitsubishi Montero (front and four wheel drive). The owner's manual has instructions on how to solve the problem, but as a lay person the instructions are difficult for me to decipher.
Thank you for any information that can help me with this problem.

Comments

• Options
    alanr2alanr2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Dorathy,

I own two older Monteros-a 1989 and 1991 (same model year as yours). To unlock (or disengage) your front wheels, shift into two wheel drive mode with the stick. You should see a light go off on the dash to indicate that you shifted out of 4 wheel drive. Then, put the truck in reverse and back up about 30 feet. This will disengage the front wheels (i.e. differential) and let each front tire spin seperately. The differential lock light on the dash should go off at this point and you can drive forward and be on your way. If you don't put the truck in 2 wheel drive and back up, it will keep the axles locked.

If you are driving on wet surfaces and want added traction, you can leave the front wheels locked in but shift from 4 wheel to 2 wheel drive to drive in this mode (great for driving in heavy rain and puddles). Caution: don't drive over 55 mph in 4 wheel drive mode and don't drive on dry pavement for any distance when you have the truck in 4 wheel drive.

Incidently, I live in the St. Louis area also. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions on your Montero. They are great trucks.
This discussion has been closed.