Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Steering/Suspension Questions

Comments

• davidwlidavidwli Posts: 9
    Go to your GM dealer and tell them what happened as there is an extended warranty from GM on this specific matter; I know as I have the letter which GM mailed to all owners. I can fax you a copy if needed...Dave
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 389
    Go to your GM dealer and tell them what happened as there is an extended warranty from GM on this specific matter; I know as I have the letter which GM mailed to all owners. I can fax you a copy if needed...Dave

I don't recall ever receiving this letter on my wife's 2006. What was the wording? (was it about rack problems on previous years, and did it specifically say it was for all components of the steering, or just the rack?) Thanks.
  • tas7107tas7107 Posts: 6
    Thankx, I'll look in to it...
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,747
    I no longer own a Maxx but to back up last entry , can add the windshield deicer did ok job helping clearing snow from windshield. However, you'll need to get snow off the cowl for proper ventilation. Rear defogger did ok at helping get ice off rear.

In __snow__, the Maxx with Tripletreads was acceptable if not outstanding.
    On ice, the Maxx will go nowhere or skid its front, especially if you brake or accelerate.

Blizzak series 60 tires may help (I've not used them).
    Seems my wife's '06 Maxx is true to form with many others on the intermediate shaft steering clunk problem. We just had the 22687711 kit installed today at 32K (just a bit before our warranty expires).

From what I've read the fix is not permanent and we can expect it to re-occur around 60K or so. I might just try the lube method once we're formally out of warranty.

All in all the car has treated her great and it's been her best car to date, averaging over 30MPG since it's now warm weather.
  • smaxxsmaxx Posts: 9
    I have an 06 Maxx SS with 36,000 miles. I had the same steering clunk as everyone else. Dealer replaced steering shaft and front struts at 31,000 mi. The noise is gone for now, but I expect it to return again someday.
  • Took my 2006 Maxx in for first service since I bought it (used). Asked service mgr if there was a permanent fix for the clunk. He said he had an intermediate steering shaft that was a sealed unit. I said go ahead and install it (covered by warranty). I guess the old shaft had to be constantly lubricated, not so with the sealed unit. It's only been two days since the service so I can't say if it will last, but it makes sense that it would.
    By any chance did your paperwork mention the 22687711 kit ? (I'm hoping that kit is the sealed unit you were referring to). I just had this work done in the past few weeks
    (but others have mentioned the same kit for some time)

Thanks if you can check.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,747
    The last replacement I had for the shaft, which I think was the newest type, got rid of the clunk (trouble free for 4000 miles, at which point I traded the car for an AWD'er to handle winters better).
  • People, you have no ideal how far the GM steering problems go. There are some real mechanical issues. I have a 2005 malibu maxx ls with the 3,5 lt. Let me share the many parts replaced. 1. upper control arms, 4 racks, 4 sets of outer tie rods, 3 steering wheel control modules, 3 steering wheel column. 7 times my local chevy dealer had to hook up a steering module scanner to re configure the steering axis. It fail ever time. Nothing work, until. I decided to take it to a different dealer to get a second opinion. A GMC dealer. This dealer flat out said they knew of the problem and had no real pernament fix. The next day I was called and was told that they found a code that relates to a fix. but was told they could not promise a pernament fix. That was June 13th 2008, I have had this problems for almost 2 years, I have this car for 3 years. This also was the only time I received a code for anything with this car. To add, this code was not a alert code, but a stored code. They had to use a steering module scan tool to dig it up. This code, if fixed will solve your loss of power steering after acceleration. The problem, a high amount of volts going through the module component. Remember this is a nonhydrolic steering system, except for the rack, which means you can now have electrical problems when it comes to steering issues. Now you think that would me happy. Well at first I was until the squeaky, very loud noise that came from the rack and column. Thank God I got a extended warranty. I'm done.
  • trobbinstrobbins Posts: 3
    See below where I'm not alone here. Picked up an '05 car 3 weeks ago- 68,ooo km on it. Its my wife's car, but I drove it to work today. Power steering quit on the highyway. I'm reasonably fit, so it was no big deal, but would have scared the heck out of my wife. David W mentioned he has a letter on this. Could you please fax a copy to Terry at 902-873-6610.
    I can see a fight with GM coming on!
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    this was a complaint filed with the NHTSA who open an engineer design fault study on the issue....it was subsequently closed as it was noted it wasnt a major occurrence in a large enough volume of vehicles and that GM/dealerships were taking appropriate actions when the issue occurred....I have an 04 Malibu Maxx LT....which now has almost 130K on it.....and havent had one problem with the steering or the front suspension.....

this doesnt dismiss the fact that some are having steering column problems that should be addressed by the dealership...the regional tech rep or other GM field rep. The front suspension is a bad design, allowing for clunking etc...but certainly not one that would require the amount of replacement parts that some have seen......can the dealerships simply be replacing parts hit and miss...to try to eliminate something that actually cant be fixed.....dont know.....I hope you can find a solution to your issue......ultimately, if you arent happy with the auto...get rid of it.....
  • pkd01branpkd01bran Posts: 10
    Yes, you all have no idea how bad/far the problems go. I think I know this by now: (1) The dealer has to know what they are doing with this stuff. (2) The dealer has to expertly scan, using the proper special scan tool. (3) There are sensors inside the column/electric-motor area that have to be working/adjusted right for the motor electronics (inter-related with the whole GM-LAN computer that runs everything on the car) to deliver the correct assist (right vs. left, among other things) or any assist at all, for that matter. (4) Everything, in general, about the whole steering/suspension/wheels/tires system on the whole car is incredibly sensitive. (5) IF the dealer knows what they are doing, and replaces the proper parts with the LATEST versions of the various replacement parts, then things should work reasonably well. For a while. In any case, I suggest cultivating a close working relationship with the best top-notch "front-end suspension" - type independent repair shop in your area; you'll likely need it sooner or later, if only as a "consultant".
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    I'll have an even better story for all of you shortly; hopefully by the end of the week. My outcome better be a good one, or the story will get even better than than what it is. Needless to say, the Maxx won't be driven by me any longer.

Signed: no-more-maxx4me
    Oh No.....more problems???
    If the power steering on your Malibou quits there is a service bulletin on it. It covers the car for 7 years or 107,000 km. The bulletin is Special Policy Coverage 07126. There is no charge for the repairs.
    VIN has to be between 5F100001 and 5F2500216
    but is this warranty for GM Canada alone since you mention KMS in the mileage..or does it apply to GM US
    Good question; mine's Canadian, but I can't believe all those VIN's - range is 1/4 million- were sold in Canada.
    I'll try to find out from the Dealer
  • morainemoraine Posts: 4
    I have looked at the Maxx and it would fit my needs, but am quite concerned about the steering and front end issues.

1. Did they correct those problems for the 2006 and 2007 models?

2. On another post I read that the cars with Vin Numbers between 5F100001 and 5F250216 in the 2005 models were the problem ones. Did the problems extend to other Vin numbers and later models?

3. If one purchases a used Maxx and it has the problems that have been well documented in this forum, does anyone know if they are still covered by GM even if the warranty has now expired?

Thanks