Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Steering/Suspension Questions

Comments

• drejdrej Posts: 119
    On My 05 I got similar reactions, I had a Code flash on the Radio Display, "Pwr Steering" But no other Details, I got No CEL. 85 K miles and stil ok other wise
    Any ideas what to check, My Local dealer should be my la$t option. D~
  • There was a service bulletin issued on the '05 steering. I saw it posted somewhere in this forum. It extended the factory warrenty to 7 years from the date of production for this problem. It is supposed to cover 100% of the repair if that turns out to be the problem. You might want to look into it.
  • You can register at www.gm.com and view the owner's manual online.
  • madmaxx06madmaxx06 Posts: 3
    2 weeks ago the passenger sided wheel bearing and the drivers side control arm ball joint were replaced. The alignment was adjusted. Now this week the passenger side cv axle was replaced. Signs that the book has been leaking out grease for over a year. I am sure hoping this is all the repairs for my Maxx for a while.

2006 Malibu Maxx LTZ
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Posts: 82
    edited August 2010
    After parts replaced noise went away - don't know for how long.

Parts: Shaft, Steering Intermediate 25962603 & Shaft Kit 06526 - PC

GM did a goodwill repair (no cost) at 70,000 + miles

2004 Maxx LS
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    great on the goodwill repair by GM...did you have previous problems documented on the steering prior to this....guess I have been fortunate with my 04 Maxx LT, about to roll 167K and no major repairs yet....have replaced right rear brake caliper and right front inner and lower tire rods......but no other problems......
  • "...did you have previous problems documented on the steering prior to this...."

Yes

Strange - you mentioned replacing right rear caliper - I had to replace it also. Another manufacturing/engineering defect? The piston in the caliper wouldn't totally release causing the rotor to score.
    my replacement was due to it leaking...would consider it a defect based on the age and mileage on the car....6 plus years and 160K.....

the fact you had the steering issue documented probably muliple times....convinced GM to replace the column.....that is certainly a weak link in the early MY malibus......
  • There are two clunk points of interest.

The first clunk point: A repair any one can do:

I was advised regarding the clunk noise and a home band-aid regarding greesing. Look for the steering shaft. From the engine bay the steeing shaft is hard to see. Get a light in there and you will see a universal joint. A shaft coming from the steering wheel conected by a universal joint to a shaft that goes into the steering box. The shaft/joint will probably be very rusty in colour, meaning they are dry and need to be oiled and greesed. It took me a few minutes to get a can of penatrating oil in the availble space and square up the spray nozel. Once aimed properly spray the heck out of this joint with a penatrating oil. Move can away, start car and rotate the shaft by turning the steeing wheel to spray the back of the universal joint. Once done, squeeze your hand in there if you can and pack any kind of greese around this joint. If you can hoist the car up, you will have a better view and accesabilty of the shaft/joint. it did not get rid of my clunk, since the joint has been greesed, it is not so agreesive. The shaft and join get rusty along with a poor design.

The second clunk issue: is in the steeing shaft. Disconnecting the steeing shaft from the universal joint. Technicians have been greesing the heck out of the steering shaft.

I am not that confident. So i opted for greesing the universal joint. I noticed a little little clunk on my 2008 HHR. And It has the exact same set up. Exept not as rusty. did the same thing. Happy motoring!
  • Took my 2004 Maxx to dealers several times about "clunk". Until the last time the dealers apparently just lubed the joint, joint was super rusty. This last time a new shaft was installed - it is possibly a new design, no bare metal - it looks painted or powder coated black.

Had it done about 5 months ago and so far steering is excellent, i.e., normal.

Since I had a record of problems with steering there wasn't a charge for the new shaft.
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 389
    It's been over 2 years since the factory "22687711 kit" was installed on my wife's '06 Maxx under warranty and so far it's been fine since.
  • Here's a link I found to service bulletin 06-02-32-007F related to this problem, though it doesn't mention warranty extension. I have the clunking problem too. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/AlSmitty/2010-03-06_164922_Steering_Shaft.pdf
  • I just had to replace my leaking right rear brake caliper too - at just under 123K miles.
    this describes a condition on my 04 Maxx perfectly (clunk in steering column) ....long past warranty at this point at 172K...and no long term impact at this point.....wanting to make 200k before I let it go perhaps......only time will tell....

for the longest time always thought is was the suspension...but had it checked by several different mechanics...none of whom could find anything......so just simply lived with the slight clunk.........
    Well pao, since your 2004 is of the first design shaft it looks like you can follow the instructions in the bulletin supplied by patmaxxlt (thanks!!!) and just grease the shaft coupling. Worth a try.
  • NO! DO NOT use any grease or lube unless/until you have read and understand the LATEST version of that Technical Service Bulletin ["TSB"], which is 06-02-32-007G which came out in April 2010. (NOTE the G at the end.) I know it can cost big bucks, but the best place to get any steering or suspension or alignment or wheel or brake, etc. stuff worked on on these extremely difficult cars is the Service Department of a high-volume Chevrolet dealer (use a high-volume one, as they will have seen a lot of these cars, and will be most familiar with the TSBs, the latest-series parts, etc.).
    That TSB does not seem to address the same part at all (steering coupling), so I fail to see why greasing the older style coupling as recommended by the earlier version of the shaft would not apply if that is found to be the source. (the newer version of the shaft should not be greased but replaced per that TSB, but this TSB addresses other possible causes.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/tsb-06-02-32-007-a-35203/
  • hhmaxhhmax Posts: 44
    2005 maxx LT lost power steering in when pulling out of drive way. I had the information letter saying that the steering column had a service adjustment of 10years 160,000 kms (in canada). My question is: Is this a one time replacement or it is a extended warranty of 10years 160,000kms for the steering column?
  • RE the brakes, including calipers, everything is very trouble-prone; note that the Brakes have a Black Dot in the Consumer Reports auto Frequency Of Repair Records in the Annual Auto Issue which comes out each April (and is updated/duplicated in the Annual Buying Guide issue/softcover-book that comes out each December). There is also a Black Dot for the Suspension, which in Consumer Reports' systems inclusions includes everything to do with steering.
  • Read that "Customer Letter" [industry term] very carefully; you'll note that it only applies to one part, and even then you have to have 4 or 5 things/parts go wrong exactly in the way it says, to qualify.