Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Steering/Suspension Questions

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Consumers Union agrees, unfortunately.
    The Malibu Maxx's on their reliability list report that the '04s are now below average, with brake, suspension, and electricals declared much worse than average. '05's are average but showing the same trend.
    A Malibu general trait, it seems, as the sedans follow the same paths.
    I wonder what the electrical problems are? What I've seen are corroded signal lamp sockets and occasionally blanking out instruments and control lights.

At least engine and transmission do well.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    don't be so sure on the tranny. Mine is getting clunky when I accelerate after the car has coasted and downshifted to second gear. I too have a popping noise in my steering/rack now that it has been replaced. Something tells me GM is going to be puting a whole lot of parts into this car over the next 101,000 miles.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    well I certainly must be the lucky one in the bunch then...84K...and not a problem .....original steering column. rotors, suspension parts etc..... and only seen the service department once for a burned out turn signal socket....and still going strong, only thing I have done is replace the wiper blades...third set of tires...and synthetic oil changes.........regular scheduled maintenance otherwise...and will do the 100K service probably around the first of the year.....new plugs and replacing all fluids....
  • whitmikawhitmika Member Posts: 1
    I have had a power steering issue on my '04 Maxx at low speeds. It is most noticeable when pulling into/out of parking spaces. I took it into the dealer about 8 months ago and they said it was a faulty battery causing voltage fluctuations which was throwing off the power steering controls. They replaced the battery, re-programmed the controls and it seemed to solve the issue.

I have recently had the steering gear replaced to try and solve the clunking issue, but since I have gotten it back the power steering problem is back and maybe a bit worse then before. I have already had the steering column recall done and both of the power steering issues have been after that replacement. Does anyone else have similar experiences with the power steering?

I am now out of warranty, and I am very leary of taking it to the dealer since I never get a good feeling that they actually know how to resolve the issue.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I have 06 Maxx LTZ with only 2765 mi on it. Brought it in to dealer for first time to have problems fixed. They replaced windshield cowl trim to fix flutter noise. They replaced rear shades which would not retract.

My problem with steering from day one was intermittent no assist when car first started. With car not moving if you turned wheel left or right it would bind at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position and when you rocked wheel back and forth you could hear a clicking sound in the column. This made it difficult to back out of a parking spot.

Dealer said steering rack had to be replaced. I questioned this since I never have any rattle/clunk noise when driving over bumpy roads at low speed. So they replaced the steering column. But that did not resolve problem. They then swapped the column with one from a new car on the lot that did not have the binding/clicking problem. This did not resolve problem on my car. They finally had to replace the steering gear and that resolved my problem.

Now steering is now A-OK. No more binding/clicking. Now have full assist during parking maneuvers.
    I chatted with my friendly Chevrolet dealer discussing the problems I face with the traction control system on basic Malibus/Maxxes. He said I had not read the owners manual and claimed that by simply applying the brake once after encountering a loss of traction, the ABS system would work with the traction control system to lock the spinning wheel.

Is he describing the NW9 system, which is (per previous posting) only on the SS Malibu models, and the one__not__ on the '04 Maxx LS I am driving?
  • plw2344plw2344 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a low mileage Malibu Maxx in March of this year from Carmax. The steering gear has been replaced 4 times to date due to a "clunking" sound and feel in the steering when turning in to and out of left and right turns. After each replacement, the "clunking" goes away for about a month's worth of driving then gradually returns. That makes a total of 5 steering gears in about 26,000 miles. The best Chevy's Customer Relations could do is promise me a "component letter" that will guarantee the part for 6 years or 100,000 miles. While this is appreciated, I would rather the Chevy engineers fix the problem. Chevy's Malibu folks have one chance to make a first impression... and so far, it's not a good one. Do I hold the record for steering gear replacement?
    the steering column issue and the clunk in the suspension have been around on the Maxx since its release in 04..many of us have had the problem...some to a greater degree than others...the clunking sound is usually associated with the suspension vice the steering column...

its a matter of how tolerant you are with the clunk I would guess...I have a small clunk in the suspension....as well as my steering column..but I hardly notice it.....3 years. 84K later..and still the original parts from the day I took delivery.....if 5 steering gears dont solve the problem..dont think any will to be honest.......take the 6/100 warranty on the part...

there has been a engineering fix to the clunk in the suspension.....to some degree.....but nothing new in the steering column.....the steering gear in relationship to the suspension..may be the issue...and I dont beleive they have fixed that issue yet
  • oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    My 04 Maxx - the first delivered by my dealership way back when, will come off the 3/36 Warranty next month so I did the rational thing - made my list and visited my dealer's service department.
    Of course one of my complaints was the rattle - they told me that the control arm required replacement and that a brake job was due. They did both, and like everyone else, the rattle is all but gone - only rattles at low speed on rough concrete pavement - it's livable.
    Also, the seat tracks on the driver's power seat were shot requiring a completely new seat frame - they had to send it out to an auto upholsterer for repair. It took them the better part of 2 days to get everything done - during which they were kind enough to rent me a replacement ride from the local Enterprise. To me that's going the extra mile for the customer as I have to take my wife for dialysis every other day.
    The only thing that really frosted me about this whole experience is what they charged for a brake job - with tax it was $748.00. I don't mind paying a fair price, and the brakes are now perfect again, but $375 per axle seems very high to me. Any thoughts???
    I was seriously thinking of dumping my Maxx, but now it's like a new car - maybe I'll keep it a while - besides, who would buy an '04 Maxx?
    Oh.... about understanding - I understand why General Motors is slowly going out of business - how can you build a car with so many inherent problems, pay for all the repairs for at least 3 years per car, sell them at huge discounts because nobody will pay list for them, and think you can stay in business???? I just read yesterday that Klutz... I'm sorry, that's Lutz says that GM will depend on their spectacular new designs to sell their cars. Have you read the final entry for the Pontiac Solstice on Edmunds.com? They've never been happier to get rid of a long term test car than the Solstice - a real disappointment! New designs mean nothing if the execution is garbage. My next ride will probably be a Honda - not just design, but engineering.
  • tgimaxxtgimaxx Member Posts: 9
    I have an 04 Maxx LT with 32K miles. I noticed the same clunking when turning the wheels to the left, seemed to come from the left front end of the car. They are replacing the steering box??? We'll see if that works.
  • tgimaxxtgimaxx Member Posts: 9
    I had my brakes replaced under warranty, not without a significant battle, and now 12K miles later they've warn 40%. It seems that the 04 Maxx goes through brakes about every 20K miles. I drove Fords for years and never replaced brakes earlier than 45K so it's not my driving patterns. I love the car but am seriously considering trading it in the next couple of years.
    brakes depend on driving styles, traffic etc........on my 04 Maxx LT....I replaced the OEM pads at 64K...and had all the rotors turned...price was $400 for the entire job.....as was mentioned...$375 seems high per axle...I shopped around..and ended up with an independent local mechanic.....all the chain brake shops..wanted at least $300 an axle.....now have 82k on them...and are still over 70% left....

this is in northern va..with stop and go traffic.......
  • mfh1mfh1 Member Posts: 15
    TSB replacement of steering gear did nothing to fix the problem, Travel over washboard road and all #$%% breaks loose. New noise - when steering at slow speeds, hear and feel a deep thud as wheels go one way then correct to the other direction. It's subtle, and I waiting for my dealer to say "everything seems OK to me." Three year smart buy comes up next October - kids love the rear DVD but I can't wait to get rid of this car. Oh why don't they offer rear DVD in the new Impala, which is really nice.... Don't want an SUV, just a six passenger car with a decent trunk like my father had in 1968!
    You described the symptoms perfectly. I have the exact same thing. I get a "deep thumping" noise as I turn the wheel when accelerating from a low speed. I've said it 5 times, I'll say it 6: I think GM is going to be puting a lot of money into this car. Thanks GMPP. By the way, my driver's seat installation went well. Hopefully someone as thin as I, won't be able to put so many repeat squeeks into a seat over the next 3 years.
    Hey J....still going strong here....86K my the Maxx now...and not a problem....I too have a thump at slow speeds first thing in the morning....but it does go away after a 1.4 mile or so.........about to put new plugs and wires into it soon....

Im holding out for the 08 Malibu...or if my $$ are in order....the new design Cadillac CTS......
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Lost my power steering while pulling out of the parking lot today. DIC said "power steering" or some such. Turned the key off, restarted the engine and no problems.

I'm out of warranty so if this fails, I'm paying. Doesn't seem to be rack related, just no electrical steering. Assuming it's the electric motor (not sure how that works), how much will that cost me?
    Happened again today while taking it in for an oil change. This time it continued.

Dealer says (after trying to sell me all kinds of extra services, i.e. flush transmission @ 40K) that I need a new steering column. Approximately $750, ouch. Unless this entire assembly including relays and electric motor is one big part it seems a little strange to me.

Anybody else experience anything like this???
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Did dealer read codes from vehicle? I don't know if dealer's would typically share that info with you though :(
    Had I read the earlier posts I could have probably figured things out. Apparently relay problems on the column. This seems to be a real Malibu shortcoming seems to be steering. Hope that rack and pinion problems aren't next.
    It "really" doesn't matter but I am pretty sure there isn't any "relay" in the column for power steering function.
    OK, not a relay-- a torque and position sensor. I'm not yelling, NHTSA is.

http://www.lemonlawclaims.com/malibu_brake_and_steering_problem.htm

Date Investigation Opened : March 30, 2004
    Date Investigation Closed : July 1, 2004
    Summary:
    ODI OPENED PE04-031 BASED ON EIGHT REPORTS OF ALLEGED POWER STEERING FAILURE IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. THE COMPLAINTS ALLEGE THAT THE DRIVER SUDDENLY LOST ALL ELECTRIC POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE WITHOUT WARNING MAKING THE VEHICLE DIFFICULT TO STEER. THE SUBJECT VEHICLE UTILIZES AN ELECTRIC POWER STEERING ASSIST SYSTEM (EPS) THAT PROVIDES VARIABLE STEERING ASSISTANCE BASED ON STEERING WHEEL TORQUE, STEERING WHEEL POSTION, AND VEHICLE SPEED. GENERAL MOTORS DOCUMENTS IDENTIFIED THE FOLLOWING TWO FACTORS THAT CONTRIBUTED TO THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES: A. CONTAMINATION OF THE TORQUE AND POSITION SENSOR FROM THE SEPARATION OF GREASE APPLIED TO THE STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY. B. ELECTRICAL NOISE GENERATED ON THE POWER AND GROUND SLIP RING SURFACES OF THE TORQUE AND POSITION SENSOR. THE NOISE IS GENERATED AS THE SENSOR CONTACT BRUSHES MOVE ALONG THE SLIP RING SURFACES WHEN THE STEERING WHEEL IS ROTATED. ODI'S ANALYSIS SHOWED FAILURE RATES THAT ARE OF CONCERN TO ODI AND INDICATED THAT THE ALLEGED DEFECT IS CONTINUING TO OCCUR IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. THIS PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS TO FURTHER INVESTIGATE THIS CONCERN, TO ASSESS THE POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES, AND TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE OF THE AFFECTED POPULATION.
    Yes I read that before and the results of investigation are also on their site. There was a recall on 2004 model thru a certain VIN range regarding this - do you have a 2004?
    '05 ls
    If design of columm is fundamentally the same in '05 as was in '04, then problem could occur in '05 (depending on manufacturing tolerances or parts quality from secondary vendor).

Malibu, unfortunately, has a consistently bad repair record in Suspension, electrical, and brakes.
    I only rotated the oem Bridgestones once, at about 22,000 miles. I'm now at about 42 and should replace at about 50K.

The one rotation made the rotors slightly warpy but not enough to really bother me. I'm thinking about Costco for the replacements since they assured me that they take a lot of care on torquing.
    get the parts numbers from the dealer..and do some shopping around...try gmpartsdirect....they should be cheaper...and then ask your parts manager to match the prices......may save you some money as well if you end up having to pay
    If this craps out again (it is drivable, not pleasantly, without power steering), I'll know how expensive it is and start carefully shopping-- including independent shops (if it's not too obtuse given the lack of electric steering). I had no idea we were talking $800 when I brought it in.

I'm also disappointed that there's only a 12/12 parts and labor warranty. I remember (well because it was my worst new car ever) that my old 86 Ford Tempo had lifetime warranty on every repair. That's how I found out how many things could break once.
    I was all fired up looking for gmpartsdirect. Can't find Chevy cars, only trucks come up when I click. Must be a software error. I don't have the parts number here with me, so I can't check that way.
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

you will need the parts number in order to see it..check with your dealer
    the popping and clunking, I mean. Just like before..

At this point I truly believe the front ends of these cars with electric steering will never work right.

A Hydraulic system (at least every one I know about) puts the corrective force on the rack and suspension itself - the steering columm sort of goes along for the ride.

An electric system puts all the force on the Columm itself, forcing the column pinion gear to move both rack and suspension. That's a lot of force on a small gear.

If I am wrong, please advise?
    Maybe that's why they screwed up the gas mileage with hydraulic systems on the 07's. Why else would they change the car in its last year of production.
    ooooh, you just put a stake in my heart csandste. I was hoping for some good news on the Maxx's revival.
  • carolinamaxxcarolinamaxx Member Posts: 9
    Hello! I just purchased a used '05 Maxx on Saturday and LOVE it. Well, except for the clunking in the steering wheel that so many others experienced. I'm so heartbroken and not sure what to do. Many folks said it got worse after being worked on, so I'm a little apprehensive to do anything. Then again, will it cause more damage if I just leave it as-is?

As far as I know, the car only has the one month/1000 mile dealer warranty, although, I had people tell me at the dealership that it came with a 5 year/60000 manuf. warranty. :(

At this point, I do love my car, but if it's going to be troublesome, I'd rather not have it. lol

Does anyone have ANY advice at all? Should I let the dealership (not a Chevy dealership, btw) look at it? Should I leave it alone? I'm going to tell them I don't appreciate them lying to me, but since it's not in writing, there's nothing I can prove. :mad:

I REALLY want to LOVE this car!
    I just called the dealership and they said to bring it in so they can check it out. I worry, with them not being a GM dealership, they're not going to know what on earth I'm talking about. Are they able to look up the service bulletins?

I wonder why, if all of these people are having the same problem, there's not been some sort of recall notice?

My appointment is Friday morning. I hope some of the resident gurus peek in before then. ;)
    You may want to print out some of these posts. Be aware, however, that Edmunds posts aren't statistically significant. Just because five or ten on us on this board have had steering troubles, doesn't mean that's what's actually going on with the total production run.
    Hello, csandste. Thank you for your reply. I had thought of doing that very thing, but am having a hard time narrow it down to pertinent posts. :P

I'll keep checking in! Hopefully, I'll be like the one poster that only had the clunking and nothing else. lol

If nothing is done, will my car fall apart or is this just a nuseance (sp) sort of thing?
    The steering column (only thing I've replaced), is an $800 nuisance. Probably a lot more for the rack. In my case I didn't hear any clunking. Power steering failed for about 10 seconds on start-up. A month later it went out totally. The car was drivable to the dealer.
    ack! I'm glad you're ok and were able to get to the dealer. Maybe since I'm clunking, I'll be ok. ;) Pao (I believe that's the poster's name) said that he's been clucking for 90-something thousand miles with no further difficulties.

Wish me luck! ;)
    the clunking in the steering rack and front end are design flaws, not safety hazards. Nonetheless, they will occur in every '04-'07 Bu and Maxx on the road. This is not an isolated incident. GM redesigned the steering gear, and as posted before, it helped 70% of the noise.
    Thank you so much! I can handle a teeny bit of clunking as long as it doesn't mean the car is on it's way to the graveyard. :D I'm so glad I posted here. I was really regretting my car choice.

I must say, though, I'm a bit saddened that we won't have the Maxx in years to come. :( Other than the noise, this car is awesome! I can't believe how much room there is in an itty bitty car. To think I had my cars narrowed down to a Saturn Vue and the Maxx.
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    My wife has a 2005 Maxx LS that we purchased in November of '05 and though it has only 13,000 miles on it I take it out every couple of weeks for a 45 minute run to exercise it and check for any problems that Colette would be oblivious to. So far I have been unable to duplicate the clunk or any other of the steering issues related here. No issues yet. You're going to like this thing.
    If you take it over a gravel road and drive around5-15 mph, you are more likely to hear the noise. It also is prevalent when turning into driveways and hitting the concrete apron at slow speeds.
    The thing I do not know is if Chevrolet is using the same front end components in the '08 "Bu.
    If so, they will have the same problems as every other 'Bu since '04 (though I suspect the hydraulic versions will hold up better).

...but as the maxx is gone for '08 and I'm one of dem hatch people, there's little incentive to keep up with the new 'Bu.
    As a huge fan of the Maxx, I'd agree with you but I've got 7 more years of ownership. GM will be puting in front ends up until 105,000 miles when my GMPP expires. I'll keep my head in these pages until the very end in case there is an unlikely recall or redesign of the parts that our mystery insiders might tell us about.
    I always thought that extended warranties are sucker bait, usually you get fifty cents on the dollar. However, given the 'Bu's fragile front end, I'm having a bit of non-buyers remorse.

Question-- I had a single steering column failure which ran $800. Is this on par for what others paid?

What does the rack cost?-- a lot more I'll bet.

Note to people looking in-- sometimes Edmunds lists can be self-fulfilling. Most people don't get on here talking about how good their front end is. In fact, until my trouble hit, I was ignorant of the problem for the first 40K plus on the car. Maybe things statistically aren't as bad as they seem. If I have no further trouble, I'm still liking this car a LOT!
    was quoted to me as around $500 including installation.

Another thread has also traced the noises to ball joints, sway bars, and a few other front end parts.

As another poster said, the Maxx / Malibu front end appears a fragile piece of work.
    Does the steering column contain everything down to the rack, or is there a separate pinion to fail as well?
    I have been praising the Maxx since I bought mine in Feb 04....now with almost 97K on ours...and not one problem....still original steering rack...still running good..just did 100k service, plugs, wires, accessory belt, transmission drain and replace......and looking for plenty more miles..still have OEM rotors....only one brake job, working on my third set of tires.....all other OEM parts intact
    pao: of all the problems you have not had, I simply can't believe you have gone that far with OEM rotors. Mine are trash at 39,000. I know your miles are highway and mine all city, but still....! My mechanic says I still have 1/2 of the pad life left, but I'm going to take it in and switch the front rotors and pads to something more reliable. I thought about taking it back to the dealer and telling him to put new rotors on the front, given the fact that I've had them turned twice, and they should have put new ones on the second time. But, I figured the dealer would just my visit as an excuse to say that "we should go ahead and put new brake pads on at this time," just to rip me off for a brake job. I can spend the same amount of money on GM junk rotors (free) and a dealer brake job, as for a whole new package at my mechanic.
    I'm at 45K on original pads and rotors, but the OEM brakes always seemed a bit fragile. I only rotated the Bridgestones once at about 20K. I replaced them with some Costco only
    BFG's and I'm not sure whether they did a more careful job of torquing but the brakes seem less shaky. However, doubt if I'll go to the dealer for replacement brakes.