Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Accessories & Modifications

mybooomybooo Posts: 92
edited October 29 in Chevrolet
Does anyone know of a source for an engine cover for the 3500 engine that is in the MAXX? I see I mine does not have one and others do. Thanks!

Comments

• bhw77bhw77 Posts: 101
    Second to that!
    Where is no engine cover on my 2004 MAXX LS.
    Is it suppose to be there?
  • mybooomybooo Posts: 92
    I put on a set of BF GOODRICH TRACTION T/A's. &0k tire and teh best I have found for Iowa driving! I had them on my Grand Prix GTP and put them on the 'boo, and she goes through anything! YOu will love them. Check out tirerack.com for reviews. I got mine from walmart for under $400 for 4 mounted.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    try gmpartsdirect.....if you know the part number...call your dealers parts department and ask....
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    I agree with pao about GM Parts Direct. The part number you want is 12593411 and it shows up on their site. Looks like GM list price is $86.73. They show their price <$50 but I have no idea what you would actually pay - probably somewhere in middle.
    THANKS guys for your help! I had not been able to find a part number. I found one online from a place that parts out new cars - $75 shipped. I don't know why I want one, but I do :-)
  • "I found one online from a place that parts out new cars..."

Can you post the link to where you got the part?
    It is: www.nordstromsauto.com They sell all kinds of auto parts and specialize in cars with less than a few hundred miles on them. The local dealer wants $86.73 for the part. Thanks again to all who helped me on this!
    my obvious question is since all ours seems to have the engine cover...why didnt yours come with one...????? ask the dealer to get you one for free!?!
    I have tried the dealer I bought from. They keep skirting around the question. So, I decided to find one myself. I think they are only there for cosmetic reasons?
    be insistent..most are for noise level control inside the passenger compartment..dont think that is much of a problem with the Maxx however
    Thanks for the advise! I have contacted them again and will see. I should have looked/paid attention when we bought the car the end of Oct. I did not know that it was suppose to have one until a few weeks ago when i saw a pic of the Maxx's engine. I do want one though :-)
    I am confused now! Looking at a local dealers website, the photos of the enignes in the Maxx, there is not an engine cover! So I am wondering, is it standard on an 05 Maxx LS or not? Very confusing!

Thanks!

Larry :-)
    I just got word from the dealer that they will special order one in at no charge! THANKS for the advice! I really like this forum! I was a member of a Grand Prix forum (previous car), and while I did learn some things, I think it had a lot of younger members on it, and it was pretty out of hand. The Maxx and Malibu forums seem real helpfull, and there seems to be a lot more friendlyness.

Larry :-)
    I have an 04 Maxx LT...will have to look tonight..but I pretty sure I have a engine cover on mine.....my new 06 Pontiac Solstice has one for sure!!!!
  • Am I the only one who's not sure what an engine cover even is? Any photo links?
    Well, I just got another email from the dealer. He is saying the don't make them for the MAXX. I have seen them on the MAXX, so I know they have them! here is what he wrote me:

"Larry,
    My parts department went to order the engine cover and a message popped up that said engine cover not available for year make and model of vehicle. So they called General Motors and in 2005 General Motors did not put engine covers on the Malibu Maxx. There is not even one that can be ordered. This was a big surprise to me, apparently you can get one for the regular Malibu's but not the Maxx. Anyways, let me know if there is anything further I can do for you. "

So back to square one. Oh, and what does it look like? They are black plastic, with "3500 V6" on them and they cover the top of the engine. Looks rather nice!
    Engine cover was a late add to the 2005 Malibu but went on both sedan and Maxx. Underhood there really isn't any physical difference between them anyways.

However I should have mentioned this - cover won't attach properly to older engine because there were some other changes to put in attachment provisions. One would likely have to have 2 cars before/after to see what changed
    I wondered if that was the case. THe build date was Aug 04, so it is an early 05. I can live without it :-)Just thought it dressed it up...but who sees it anyway? :-)
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    I call them dust collectors. All they serve is to make it harder to take off the valve cover to repair the engine. I originally thought you were talking about the fire blanket under the hood. I'm glad I was wrong; no car should be without that.
  • prdmprdm Posts: 145
    -I originally thought you were talking about the fire blanket under the hood. I'm glad I was wrong; no car should be without that.-

Those are merely sound insulation - they will not drop down and smother any engine fire.
  • marlapmarlap Posts: 18
    Hi i have a 2005 maxx ls and was interested in putting a roof rack on top basically just for looks. Can anyone recommend a good one? so far i really am enjoying my car had it about a 2 weeks now. I wonder why don't see more of them on the road? I live in S.C. and have only seen one to date.
    do a google search for yakima or thule.....be careful of clearances if you have the sunroof....since it slides back over the roof of the car...in VA here but come down to Greenville during football season...also to Charleston..as there is where my son lives
  • I would like to add a GPS to my Maxx and would like to find out if any of my chat friends have installed one on a MAXX. Which one would be a good fit for our car?
    I didnt do an install...simply got the magellan roadmate series...and with a mounting bracket...mounted it to the dash...been there almost two years now
  • Pao, can you send me a photo so see how it looks installed? The dash on the Maxx is kind of odd and I am interested in seen where did you install it that it can be reached from the driver seat. My email is rodrigo.fernandez@excite.com

Thanks.
    will have to look and see if I have any....it was a profit mount..you can order it....and it is on the top of the dash..to the left of the little shelf that has the hazard button and the malibu name plate... foward to the point that dash curves up for the drivers gauges....hope this helps..will try to see if I have a photo of it tonight
  • rferdrferd Posts: 28
    Thanks Pao. You gave such a good description that I do not need the photo anymore. If you have it, so much better but I get the idea.
  • ANYONE KNOW IF CHEVY HAS A RETROFIT KIT TO PUT A REMOTE STARTER ON A 2005 MAXX? ANY IDEAS ON WHATS A GOOD REPLACEMENT TIRE FOR THE MAXX? :confuse:
    There might be some type of system offered which is a complete add-on but the factory remote start system isn't supported as an upgrade for 2004/5 models. For 2006, Chevy started building all Malibus "remote start ready" so that the dealer can quite easily upgrade one of those vehicles with a GM Accessories Kit which includes new fobs and a unique authorization code.

I am sure someone else will post about replacement tires since there have been some messages previously on that subject. Not from personal experience but I have seem many positive comments on the Goodyear TripleTred however it depends on how much you want to pay.
    We had the dealer put a remote starter on our 05 MAXX. We wanted an 06, for that reason, and the dealer wanted to sell the 05, so he added that in to ours. It is -15 with -25 wind chill, so it has been awesome having it!
This discussion has been closed.