Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    jsfocusjsfocus Member Posts: 16
    Two days ago, when I test drove the 2003 ZX5 hatchback, the sound from the turn signal caught me off guard. It was way toooo loud. So much so, that I dreaded having to use it. In comparison, my 2000 Ford Focus ZTS sedan turn signal had a nice sound and perfect volume.

Nevertheless, I bought the ZX5. The mechanic at my BC ford dealership told my sales agent that he's never tried modifying the turn signal to decrease the volume, and wouldn't really know how.

I intend to investigate further. I've sent an e-mail to Ford and will post their reply here when it comes in about 3 days from now.

Does anyone know how the turn signal can be modified?

I can't stand this loud turn signal and refuse to live with it. I find myself avoiding using the turn signal whenever possible. Not even the radio drowns out the sound.

I wish FORD would offer its customers the choice of taking their vehicle in to have this loud and irritating tick-tock turn signal modified AT NO CHARGE. IT'S WAY TOOOOOOOO LOUD!!!!!
  • Options
    I called the 1-800 number for the Ford Customer Relationship Centre to ask about modifying the turn signal in the 2003 ZX5 to make it more quiet. The 1-800 # doesn't deal with technical questions, so I was referred to my dealership where a mechanic could call the Ford Engineer Hotline.

The Service Dept. at my dealership explained that the loudness is caused by the RELAY. They had tried changing the relay in a Ford truck of a customer who had also complained about the loud turn signal, but it met with no improvement.

The dealership offered to try changing my relay at no cost to me...'cause they'll do it under warranty. But they're pretty sure it won't make a difference.
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    The 2000 models have a "silent" turn signal.
    Apparently the NA customers which were used to the loud turn signals in their previous cars started to complain. FoMoCo's responded by adding a little "speaker" to the turn signal unit.
    It's called a solid state switch I think.
    There are no mechanicals relays in there.
    Search focaljet.com
    There were some good instructions posted a while ago on how to silence that speaker.
  • Options
    rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    Not sure if this will help, but back in the day... you could get rid of the "60 Minutes" ticker by swapping in a flasher relay from a more upscale car. Our 70 Monte Carlo sounded pretty cool with a Caddy flasher relay in there....
  • Options
    Thanks for the info and suggestions...

I tried searching focaljet.com, but unfortunately couldn't find any instructions there.

I sent an e-mail to the service dept. at my dealership to ask them to look into it. I told them of the possibility of a speaker, and also asked if they could install a 2000 model unit.

My service representative is taking my issue seriously, even going so far as to sit in four Focus's to hear how they sounded. They were all loud. He's having a mechanic look into the situation for me, though it is merely a design feature of the newer focus'. My 2000 turn signal was just purrrrfect, and I would be willing to pay up to $200 to have it switched/installed.

Will post the reply when I get it. It may take a couple of weeks because my service representative is off getting married and honeymooning.

p.s. It's not just the loudness of it...The turn signal also has a TICK-TOCK, TICK-TOCK! It hurt my ears the first 3 days; it doesn't hurt anymore...i've gotten somewhat used to it...but I'd still much rather have the 2000 model unit.
  • Options
    ... like any minute somebody is going to say, "and now Andy Rooney."
  • Options
    dvc1492sdvc1492s Member Posts: 13
    Driving to work this morning after heavy rain last evening. The passenger side floor board was soaked (1/4" of water). No AC on this one.
    Dealer fixed by removing windshield cover (passenger side) and sealed so water can not enter into heater box and then to passenger floor. Took all of 1/2 hour. Dealer stated that would replace carpet and underlay if smell should develop. Shop vac and air dry should do the trick. Hopefully, no other further problem. What happens in 7 years with some dampness on the interior. Time will tell. I've got 23k mile on it right now.
  • Options
    Funny, just posted the other day about the leak. I hope this isn't one of those 'bad things come in three scenerios'. Drove a couple miles yesterday and parked in the drive last night. Went out to start up the '02 Z3 this morning and nothing. It cranked but no combustion. Pulled out plug #1 to see if I was getting spark and sure enough it was. I also noticed some spray from the plug hole. Could this have been fuel? It smelled like gas.
    I've read the posts about the fuel pump. Is it in the tank? Does anyone have some suggestions besides the obvious, of take it back to the dealer. I've got 25K on it right now.

Thanks,
    Jack
  • Options
    Don't know how it happened but the fuel cut off switch was triped. Nice to know where this thing is if something like this ever happens again. For those of you who don't, theres a gas pump picture with a slash though it at the passenger kick panel. Just take the tab off and push it down.
    It isn't a toggle switch though, meaning I couldn't have shut it off by accident when sucking up all that water on the passenger floor board.
    Has anyone else had such a failure?

Jack
  • Options
    dedetdedet Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Ford Focus, ZX3. I just bought it in June and I have been having serious brake issues but a few weeks ago I noticed a wierd clunking noise coming from underneath the front right side of the car. It sounds like when you are going up on a rollercoaster. It mainly happens when you are going slow and let off of the gas, but it can happen anytime too, especially over like bumps as in dirt roads and all. I took it back to the dealership today and they say they are baffeled as to what is making the noise, they are looking at it now. If anyone has this problem too and knows what it could be please let me know so I can tell the dealership.

Thanks
    Dede
  • Options
    dedetdedet Member Posts: 2
    #156 of 166 Comedy actor... by vadp Feb 27, 2003 (9:10 pm)
    Why so much of drama?
    What were you driving before?
    Just in case you didn't know, the front brake pads IS a wear item. They DO need to be replaced on the regulare basis.
    Some people are very hard on their brakes. I know several that wore down their brakes during a single day while autocrossing.
    Some are much easier and get more than 50,000 miles out of their FACTORY Focus pads.
    19,000 miles for the OEM front pads is a reasonable period.
    Uneven pad wear is a legitimate problem though.

Oh really, well hear this. I just bought my Ford Focus ZX3 2003 in June and had to bring it back 3 weeks later because the brakes were bad. Well, they are still not fixed and I just had to bring the car back again, the dealership has it now. But there is an even bigger issue going on. There is a wierd loud clunking noise coming from the right front underneath. They say they are investigating and they have no idea what the sound could be. But it's very obvious and does not sound good, it sounds like when you are going up in a roller coaster that clunking noise. The sound mainly happens when you let up off of the gas then you hear clunk clunk clunk.
    Everyone says I should tell them I want another brand new Ford Focus because this one is not even 2 months old and look at the problems, Lemon Law may apply here, but I'm not sure what to do. This is twice on the brakes and now the clunking noise that they do not know what it is. Brakes may wear out but not that early, impossible. I had not even 1,000 miles on my car and very loud brake noises started immediatly after I bought it. When I push the brake pedal in, I am not always able to stop, the car slows down, but it does not stop.

Dede
  • Options
    valmontvalmont Member Posts: 3
    It is kind of strange sounding and loud.Just find out where the sound is coming from and put some foam rubber or other cover over it to mute the sound to whatever level you like.
  • Options
    starbirdstarbird Member Posts: 38
    my 2000 LX focus is now producing the same wierd loud clunking noise coming from the right front underneath that Dede noticed. I have no idea why its recently started doing this accept that I recently had to spend $700 having the brakes replaced at 25,000 miles (which sucks).

I'm hoping that its just something trapped underneath the car, and not a poor repair job done by Koons garage. Especially as I really don't want to take it back until it reaches its 30,000 mile service.
  • Options
    I just bought my Ford Focus ZX3 2003 in June and had to bring it back 3 weeks later because the brakes were bad. Well, they are still not fixed and I just had to bring the car back again, the dealership has it now.

If what you're saying is true then you'll have NO problem getting your money back or a replacement car through your state "lemon law".
    The "bad brakes" that can not be fixed by the dealer is considered to be a serious safety problem.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    $700 to replace your brakes?! My god, you were royally screwed! I surely hope they gave you all new rotors, calipers, and wheel cylinders and this was for both front and rear brakes. Even then, it's still way too expensive. You shouldn't have had to spend more than $300 for front and back. My friend just replaced the front pads on my other friend's 01 Focux ZX3 at 31k. Total cost, $40 for a new set of pads and an hour of his time. That really sucks a shop took advantage of you like that. If I were you, I would be questioning how much they charged you and raising hell. Your Focus is no 100k Porsche.
  • Options
    I thought they overcharged me too, but, according to Consumer Reports, not by as much as you think. According to them replacement front and rear brakes should cost about $500-600 in Washington DC. I'm not using them again though. A typical service there cost $100 and Hill & Sanders Ford in Wheaton costs $40, a much more reasonable price.
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Depending on what state you live in, the Lemon Law can usually be pursued when you have a new car in the shop for the same problem 3 or more times in the first 12months/12,000 miles of ownership (whichever occurs first).
  • Options
    Apparently the dealer didn't put the calipers on properly, and so the clicking sound occurs. It cost another $40 to fix it.

Talking of which, it looks like I'm going to have to replace the tires again. The car dealer told me that the tires Ford uses are pretty soft, and hence switching to a different compound might get some longer wear out of them.
  • Options
    retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    Our 2003 Focus ztw (auto trans) was parked in our garage(about 1 hr after driving), unlocked and nobody around. The alarm system started honking the horn and flashing the lights. Starting the engine shut down the alarm. I will be going to the dealer Monday, but can anyone shed any light on this problem?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major newspaper is looking to interview people who recently bought small cars after previously
    driving larger cars or SUVs, despite whether you traded from big to small or if you still have the larger vehicle. He's especially looking for drivers of the Mini Cooper, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Dodge Neon, Hyundai Tiburon and Mazda Protege. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Tuesday, October 28, 2003 with your daytime contact info and the type of vehicles you had and have.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    lhnlhn Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have hesitation problems between 30-60 mph and stalling out (feels like fuel cut off) when coming out of a high speed turn? Ford said they cannot duplicate my high speed cornering problem and wanted the car for a couple days to check the hesitation. The engine light also came on recently. A vacuum solenoid was replaced under warranty about 4 months ago. My 01 ZX3 has 45K miles on the odometer and has been a great vehicle until recently. Any help or comments will be appreciated.
  • Options
    xquxqu Member Posts: 55
    It sounds like the fuel pump went bad. You might want to get that checked first.
  • Options
    happysmileshappysmiles Member Posts: 1
    An article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer dated Nov. 20, 2003 addresses this problem and I have had every one of the problems it listed.

Stalling at a variety of speeds and conditions. Most likely to happen with less than a quarter tank of gas (mine at a half tank), sharp right turns such as entering a highway from a cloverleaf.

Ford has extended the warranty to 10 yrs. with no mileage limit but is not having a recall because this is not a safety problem. NHTSA disagrees and so do I.

I have had the fuel filter replaced that helped a little, had the pump checked and it was fine. But I have been the passenger in the car when the car hesitated while passing a car on a two lane highway and seeing the on coming traffic closing the distance a little too fast for comfort. Trying to merge in traffic gets to be scary. You do not know if and when the car is just going to start acting like it is out of gas. I have had to pull over to the side of the road and hope my car will start back up and then try to move into 65 mph traffic from a dead stop and in a car that may or may not go.

FORD do not tell me this is not a safety issue. Are you waiting for someone to be killed in the car first? I have made up my mind that because of your attitude toward this issue I will never buy another FORD.
  • Options
    Ford Focus Service Campaigns

Service Campaigns are voluntary programs in which the manufacturer agrees to replace or repair a defect beyond the terms of the express warranty and may provide for reimbursement for prior repairs.
    Unlike a safety recall, the program may be limited in time beyond which the consumer receives no assistance.
    Sometimes the NHTSA accepts a Service Campaign in lieu of a safety recalls which means manufacturers and/or dealers are not subject to the enforcement provisions of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
    When NHTSA accepts a Service Campaign in lieu of the more consumer protective Safety Recall, NHTSA lists the Campaign on its website.
  • Options
    honumoihonumoi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 ford focus SE sedan. Well, recently the car has been hesitating a whole lot. The lights on the dash as well as the headlights flicker right before the car hesitates. It seemed to happen only at night and right after I put a full tank of gas in the car but it's been doing it like crazy lately. ANy ideas? I know it could do with fuel pump but what about the whole light flickering ordeal? Well, if anyone can help me or give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Options
    vertovvertov Member Posts: 1
    In response to honumoi's post about the lights flickering when the car hesitates - I had the exact problem on my 2000 SE, and then my car started to stall afterwards. When Ford replaced my fuel pump, the hesitation stopped as did the flickering lights that went with it. I think it's totally related.
  • Options
    honumoihonumoi Member Posts: 2
    Thanks vertov!! I thought I was the only one with that problem. Others that I talked to haven't had that problem. I took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to the computer and really couldn't find anything wrong, except saying something about the trans fluid and they flushed it out and that it should be okay. They test drove it and of course, everything was fine. I took it to another dealer before that and since, I live here in Germany, that particular dealer could look at the car but really couldn't diagnose the problem because I have american specs and they deal with the german ones. I just hope that this problem can be fixed because the whole driving on the autobahn is not funny. Anyway, thanks for your help!!
  • Options
    redfive2112redfive2112 Member Posts: 15
    To Ford's credit, they are backing the fuel pump for 10 years, with no mileage limit. The symptoms they describe sound like a lot of the problems described here, especially the stalling at midspeeds or in corners.

The notice said they had to re-design the fuel pump and it will start to be available to dealers in mid January. It also mentioned compensation for customers who have already had their fuel pumps replaced, but I didn't read that part too closely.

I haven't had any problems with mine as of yet. Actually, mine's been very trouble free so far(knock on wood).

-Scott
  • Options
    bee14bee14 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I noticed all the problems that people are having with their Ford focus. I bought a used ZX3 in November and it has been in the shop four times now for engine stalling and cutting out and flickering lights. My car is actually in the shop now and they can't seem to find the problem. I was wondering redfive2112 if the 10yr warranty applies to used cars?
    Thanks
    Barb
  • Options
    fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Sounds like the fuel pump problems several have already mentioned!
  • Options
    roger65roger65 Member Posts: 1
    dedet, if they can't fix after 3 trys lemon law it. I just got a new 2004 focus zts because they could'nt fix my rough idle on my 2002 zx2. ford settled out of court in about 4 weeks. i live in florida, and went thru the fl lemon law. Good Luck Dedet.
  • Options
    fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    YES the fuel pump warranty applies to USED cars...the warranty passes on with the car. HOWEVER, the date of manufacture will decide if your car is included. You can call any Ford dealer and have them run the VIN to see if it's included (and if any other extended warranty campaigns cover the car).

Good luck.
  • Options
    sciencegeek1sciencegeek1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

We have a 2001 ZX3 with approx. 40,000 miles on it. We had a snowy winter last year in the Maryland area with lots of resulting potholes. I hit one fairly hard and thought nothing about it. Noticed a slow leak in front wheel, finally pulled it off to look for the "nail" and discovered the rim was almost cracked through. We probably drove on this for a month and so I feel pretty lucky that nothing horrible happened. We bought a new tire and rim from Ford for a mere $500. I've had alloy wheels on previous cars and never had this happen but thought maybe I hit this pothole "just right".

Now that we are starting to see the emergence of many potholes again this winter, I've been more careful to avoid them but tonight, coming off the beltway, I hit another one. So we pulled the wheel off right away after getting home, and lo and behold, the rim is slightly bent on one edge. I'm certainly very suspicious now. Are these rims just really soft and has anyone else run into problems such as these?
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Aluminum alloy wheels are no match for bad potholes - bends at the rim, and even crack damage is quite possible when a wheel receives a hard hit. That's the price you pay for light weight wheels. As far as replacements go, don't even think of going to a dealer for a replacement wheel - WAY too expensive. Check out local salvage yards for undamaged replacements, or contact one of the many companies that sell OEM alloys. A few years ago, I purchased a factory take-off alloy wheel for my ZX3 from the Tire Rack. It was a brand new factory wheel, and I recall paying about $75. Ford alloys are quite common, and should never cost very much (they are offered on online auction sites all the time) - shop around and pick up a spare or two, and put them away for a rainy day!
  • Options
    Check out this store.
    They sell sets of 4 NEW wheels with tires for $399 per set OR just wheels for $199 plus shipping (see the last page)

http://65.109.103.142/files/focus.pdf
  • Options
    puckyhuddlepuckyhuddle Member Posts: 52
    The headlights on my ZX3 will not go on unless the engine is running. A problem I can live with, but I think it's indicative of something deeper. I'm not sure if it always did this, but the service rep said this is a feature on some models. I'm sure that's BS. Can anyone confirm? Also the headlights and the interior light's brightness will change in intensity while idleing. Additionally the cigarette lighter has no power. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    This is the car's feature to prevent complete discharging of the battery in case you forgot to turn your headlights off. Which is actually very cool considering how many people do just that.

The cigarette lighter has no power probably because of the blown fuse or dirty contacts.

Flickering lights at idle for short periods of time (1-3 sec)while changing electrical load (applying brakes, turning a/c on/off) is another Focus "feature"
  • Options
    puckyhuddlepuckyhuddle Member Posts: 52
    You've restored a little bit of my faith in service techs.

My first thought on the lighter was a blown fuse. I went to check it the other day, but Ford didn't think of embedding a handy little plastic fuse puller in the cover like their brothers at Mazda did, so I could't pull it. It will have to wait until the weekend.
  • Options
    Hey Pucky, got a set of needle nose pliers?

Reminds me of the time my fuse kept blowing on my old GTI cigar lighter. Put in fuse, immediately blows. Went through 3 NEW fuses before I found a PENNY in the socket!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 focus predictably hydroplanes at 50-55 mph, also worst winter handling car ever. Replace of damaged alloy ($200) and four tires, alignment and maybe struts advised by dealer today($600). Car has 15,000 miles. I've read all posts in this board and am afraid to ask to have brakes checked. I just accepted engine noise, grinding brakes, unusual rattles(?hamster wheel)in engine compartment as just a ford. A friends father was a service manager who lives by the adage FORD means Fix Or Repair Daily. Anyone with handling concerns?
  • Options
    hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    Sounds like your dealer is putting a kid through college. Actually, the handling on my 2000 Focus has been a positive feature. I did see rear tire wear at 30,000 (there's a TSB, you can't adjust the camber, the dealer may suggest replacing the struts) but I nursed them to 48,000. I noticed wheel spin from a stop after about 40,000, and the new tires are only somewhat better (replaced the original Goodrich with Yokohamas based on reviews at Tirerack).
        Did you lose control and damage the tires and suspension? Do you have cupping on the inner edges, squeaks or bouncing (struts)? The dealer fix sounds drastic. Check into Aquatreds or a similar tire designed to avoid hydroplaning. Do your homework and don't blindly trust the dealer.
        The brakes are noisy even when they're not worn out, but they are known to wear fast and are easy to check. Don't set yourself up for rotor replacement because you're thinking "I shouldn't have to be getting this done." When you do replace them, get the newer style metallic pads - MUCH less dust and noise.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    ...the rotors on my wifes 2000 sedan were getting thinner than I liked around 28K miles, but I didn't replace them with Ford rotors.

There's a company called BAT INC ( http://www.batinc.net/ ) that (I don't know if they still have the kit) but had a EBC rotor kit with Mintex pads that were real nice. Great braking feel, wear much better as well.

*just looked it up. They still have the kit. Their part number is H420SF and it is $109 for the kit for the front (includes for both left and right sides). It doesn't say EBC rotors for that kit, but it was when I received it. Easy to do.
  • Options
    I R T "hydroplanes", my original tires were Firestones, not Goodrich.
  • Options
    fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    My son's original Firestone tires were rotten in the snow (I think a lot of people have to remember that the tires play a huge part in the handling of a car and often problems related to wet and or winter driving are directly related to the tires!). At about 40,000 he had the need for new tires and we replaced the Firestones with a set of Toyos...immediately better snow handling!
  • Options
    snaptabsnaptab Member Posts: 21
    BF Goodrich recently came out with a new high performance V rated all season tire called the Traction T/A. Works great in the rain and light snow. Better yet they actually offer it in the rare 205/50/16 size used on the Focus!
  • Options
    hjmaurerhjmaurer Member Posts: 2
    I live in Death Valley and I am 2 hours away from a dealer in any direction.

Yesterday, the check engine light came on when leaving the grocery store. It stayed on steady. The car "lurched" or "missed" when I attempted to drive down the road. It felt like bad gas. I was at half a tank.

I refilled at Chevron to full and securely tightened the gas cap. It only helped some. I went to an auto shop guy who could not pull up any codes, so we assumed bad gas. I chanced going home and it was better for the hour drive back, but then 10 miles out, it started doing it again.
    I was afraid I wouldn't make it. It got real bad just as I made it home on a prayer. That "pulling" or "lurching" feeling in the engine has me real freaked out. I am so far from any dealership (2001 Zx3 45,000 under warranty)and I have no cell phone out here should I get stranded.

Should I tow it? What could it be? Any clues?
    Thanks, HJ
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    ..that it's a bad fuel pump. Very common on 2000 and 2001 Focuses. There's a 100,000 mile extended warranty on the fuel pumps if I remember correctly for those years.

Anyway, my first guess would be the fuel pump.
  • Options
    My 2000 LX SOHC has had problems twice. The first time the check engine light came on and I lost power, and even stalled driving along at 40 mph. The dealer called Ford, who told them to replace the head under warranty. No more trouble for another 3 years. (I'm told the valves start to stick because of carbon building up. The dealer verifies by doing a "power balance" test.)
    This year, I had problems stalling whenever coming to a stop (clutch pushed in, no check engine light). The original dealer said I'd have to replace the head AGAIN, at my cost. A second dealer replaced the fuel pump under an extended warrranty program (I did pay to have the jets cleaned). He said that water/crud in the gas tank exacerbates the pump failure. The first dealer says the pump fails electrically. I'm not sure who to believe, I just think dealers are taking advantage of customers as Ford tries to hide their mistakes on these early Foci.
    If you received a letter from Ford, it mentions specific conditions when the pump might act up. In my opinion, this information is more confusing than helpful. Have the dealer check what version of the head and fuel pump you have (They should be able to do that over the phone).
    I never got stranded, but you'd be wise to have a cell phone or companion car if you take it in.
  • Options
    hjmaurerhjmaurer Member Posts: 2
    Thank you hotx3 and seminole_kev.

Turns out, I had a recalled part for which I never received a letter from Ford. Thankfully, I made it all the way to a Vegas dealer with a neighbor following me the whole way.
    The DPFE sensor (recall 02M01) that is part of the emissions system is faulty. They replaced it under extended warranty. I still don't feel confident though. I still feel like I can feel fine "pulling" in the engine. Something is not right. I'm going to Ridgecrest Wednesday and I think I will take it to another dealer just for a look. I think there is more to this fuel pump thing. Incidentally, what is a head?
    I'm getting AAA, a cell phone, and I think in the near future, a Toyota. I am just losing my confidence in Ford altogether.
    Thanks for your help. Check for that recalled part too.
  • Options
    Are you gonna ask them to replace the fuel pump?
    It should cure that lurching feeling according to the people who already done that.
    And it's free too.
This discussion has been closed.