Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• dno36dno36 Posts: 71
    Just my 2 cents. It sounds as if the rumble is related to the viscosity of the trans fluid or a thermo sensor related to the trans.
    Are you super-sure you have the proper fluid in it, and there is not tooo much fluid?

The light blowing and the gauges.....eeek. Intermittent electrical is one of the worst to find, however...if that entire cluster twitches, I would think the issue would be either the connector for that cluster or in the power source that feeds it.
    One time my dash light would flicker a bit and then I kept blowing the minivan fuse that ran my dash panel lights. I found the problem was in my trailer wiring harness had worn through in the back and was shorting out causing me to lose dash and running lights.
    GL Dean
  • See post # 165 for my first entry about this issue.

Back in May, I had a new Jarvis tranny put in a 2005 Focus with about 89K miles. on it. The original transmission failed about 12K miles after the car experienced numerous, strange electrical problems.

I continue to have transmission problems and am about to take the car back to the garage for the third time. The car runs fine for a day or so. Then shifitng becomes very rough. The OD light flashes and the "check engine " light comes on. Codes show a heat sensor on the tranny keeps blowing. Last time it also showed a bad ground in the left tail light. Garage has already replaced sensor twice and thoroughly cleaned the ground connection. What else could be causing this to happen?

The strange electrical prolems from last year included a blown alternator, anti-theft fuse that blew, and a seemingly good battery rather suddenly turning into one that held no charge. All through these issues, the battery idiot light never came on although I had it tested and it is working.

Any ideas, anyone?????
  • I have been using Castrol Trans fluid for high milage transmissions, it is a Merc V fluid. I have checked, re-checked, and re-re-checked fluid levels numerous times. I have thought the issues were with internal lubrication not being sufficient but have not been able to figure out a solution. I thought perhaps it might be an issue with a solenoid or valve body but not sure where to begin to check that. It has been hard finding good repair literature, especially when it comes to dealing with the tranny. Any suggestions on where to get a good manual for tranny repair for this car?

Thanks~
    Fred
  • dno36dno36 Posts: 71
    Hey Fred,
    We all feel your pain.
    Internal lube doesn't sound like the issue here, while I am not sure if the '04 & '02 trannys are the same, the same basic issues apply.
    If it were a solenoid, it should show up when you have the codes scanned.
    Maybe the dash-electrical issue effects the scanning of the computer??
    How many times have you had it scanned?
    Are you sure it was a good scan?
    Getting a repair manual for the tranny.....my only idea would either be a "Haynes" type manual or go online and see if someone offers a better one there.
    GL
    Dean.
  • fuzzy46fuzzy46 Posts: 3
    I'm trying to find an AZ or AA in my (New York) area that will read my transmission codes. Any I've contacted claim they can only do it if the check engine light is on. Is this true?

While I don't have a light, I do have the banging/clunking up and down shifting between third and fourth that some seem to have described in this forum. I'm trying to find out what's up.

Any other places to try besides AZ or AA for the codes?

Thanks.
  • Yes, check engine light has to be "ON", scanner only diagnoses when the light comes on, it sounds like hard parts or possibly a bearing in the transmission broke, you don't say wether auto or stick.
  • yes it can, pour 3 qts of fluid wait about 5 min. pur 1 more qt then start the engine, leave in park, let engine idle about 5 min addd another qt. drive the car around the block, put car in reverse with the brake on for a minute or so. put car back in park check fluid level, should read about a quart low fill to mark and you're set, just had mine done and that's the way the tranni shop did it.
  • Try EBAY, you need to know which tranni you have, there should be a sticker on the oil pan and on the top of the tranni but it's hard to see. There are listings for rebuilt valve bodies also anywhere from 75.00 to 200.00 depending on the trans. Good luck
  • I have an 03 ford focus zx3. it's a vin 3, 2.0 DOHC. My problem is this, The car will not go into gear while the car is on. While the car is off, It'll go into all gears just fine. If for example i put the car into first gear while the car is off, then start the car, while keeping my foot on the clutch, the car wants to move forward but will not stall. At first i thought it was the clutch, but i've owned 4 manual transmission cars, and i've had the clutch wear out on almost all of them. The clutch on my focus has showed no signs of slipping, or any other problems for that matter. I noticed about 2 to 3 days prior to the car not moving at all an odd shake in the clutch pedal, and i can't quite remember, but i think it may have popped itself out of gear once. i have heard from several different people several different possibilities. i've heard pretty much everything from the clutch to the master and or slave cylinder, to the syncros in the transmission. Upon inspection tonight, i found that there is a small white piece of plastic that is attatched to the clutch pedal. not quite sure what it is or what it's called so bear with me here, but it's pretty much a plunger assembly. it moves with the clutch pedal and pushes into a black rubber plunger i guess.... at any rate, the black rubber is attatched to hydraulic lines that go to the brake fluid resevoir (*sp?). when you depress the clutch and release it, you can see small amounts of brake fluid coming out from the black rubber. So i'm wondering if i'm not having a problem with hydraulic pressure considering this is a hydraulic clutch (at least i think so from what i've been told). i'm absolutely clueless as to what to do and so are my friends. i don't have a whole lot of money (which is why it's been sitting for almost 2 months), so i don't want to put the money into anything unless i'm almost positive it will be a sure fix. any recommendations will be tremendously appreciated. :sick:
  • Oh yeah, this sounds exactly like a hydraulic clutch system problem.
  • Transmission bearing failure on my above Focus SE, loaded (4 speed auto). Developed "grunching", whining, and momentary locks-up, and strange shifting behavior last 1000 miles. I say last 1000 miles because this is the 2nd time I've had it in for transmission problems.

The dealer couldn't duplicate the problem the first time, so I had to drive the vehicle until issues were prevalent to troubleshoot.

Not happy with this vehicle on all fronts. First new vehicle I have purchased since 1992, and will be my first and last Ford.

I put nearly a quarter million miles on my Jeep Cherokee before it was totalled by an Ford F250, so I don't abuse vehicles.

I should have gone with my gut and purchased the Honda Civic.

Hindsight.

Charles
  • Dealer got tranny back together/mounted. Mechanic test drove it; STILL TRANNY PROBLEMS!

Another tear-down and more parts ordered. Service Manager said it is a good thing that the mechanic test drove it. I smell a Lemon Law claim brewing.

Has anyone else had issues with their 2009 Focus Auto tranny?

I can't believe I'm the only one...

Charles
  • I have a 2004 ford focus(auto), i had to a new transmission put in about a year and a half ago. (POS FORD)

about 2 days ago, i put my car in gear, turned my wheel right and started to back up, it felt like my right wheel was shaking.

i called my dad he took it to the shop, they said it was the transmission, something about worn clutch plates.

i don't think it could be that

i can't find anything about this, what are common problems do worn clutch plates cause?

thanks.
  • Just replaced the clutch master cylinder. bled the thing about 20 times. still no dice. Still will not shift into any gear while the car is on, but off it shifts just fine. Ordered a new CPP due to the fact that the car threw a check engine light for it about 2 years ago, hoping this might be the final fix. if that doesn't work i'm completely lost. i'm about ready to just douse the car in gasoline and torch it. words cannot express how frustrated i am with this car. has anyone else had this problem? i've seen numerous posts that sound identical, but nobody has posted a fix to it.
  • The only other thing i can think of would be the slave cylinder located by the trans.
  • Well can you observe if the clutch fork is moving when you press the pedal---does the clutch slave cylinder actually push the rod to work the clutch fork in and out?

If there's little or no motion, then it's your clutch hydraulics.

Bleeding clutch hydraulics on some cars can be a devil of a job---sometimes you just need pressure bleeding tools.
  • Well if it were worn clutch plates, the transmission would slip badly. Is this what happened? How exactly did they come to this diagnosis I wonder? X-ray vision?

Anyway, if they've guessed right, worn clutch plates are something that happens eventually to all transmissions, the result of wear and tear, miles, and heat. The clutch plates are what "grab" the power generated by the torque converter, and these plates are applied or released depending on what gear you are in. They can be controlled by electronics, or hydraulic pressure, or both. Usually they slip and start to burn off their friction material.
  • Judging from all the focus tranny complaints, we should all get together & do a class action lawsuit. Ford should be held responsible! 3500$ for a automatic transmission at 26,000...ford sucks!
  • azcrewazcrew Posts: 1
    My daughter has an 01Focus. I replaced the engine two weeks ago and it ran like a
    new car. Two days ago she said it was "acting funny". I drove it and noticed that the
    transmission seemed to be slipping and not shifting correctly. I drained the pan and replaced the filter. As I was about to put new fluid in it I noticed that there is
    way more oil in the drain pan than the 3.1qts that the book says should take to
    refill after filter service. My question is. Is it possible for the fluid in the torque
    converter to pump/leak back into the transaxle and over filling it ? I know the
    fluid level was correct before the engine change.
  • You two have saved me THOUSANDS of dollars!!!!!

Car started shifting into neutral on the freeway, and I freaked out. 2002 ZTW with 131,000 miles on it. Took it to our garage (new to the shop, hadn't been going there long). Mechanic told me the tranny was done and quoted me $1700 for a used one, and $3200 for a rebuilt jasper.

Came home over the weekend, found this thread, read the entire thing....printed out posts 76 & 110, and we showed it to the mechanic, who all of a sudden was, "Oh yeah, well, that could be it, but it could also be the tranny, and we didn't want you to be mad at us if we did the solenoid and didn't fix the issue." Pure BS. So then, they wanted $600 for a tranny flush, new filter and the solenoid. We said no thank you, please put it back to together. Paid them for their time and drove off.

My buddy and I spent about 2 hours last night doing this and it worked like a charm. My only issue is a small leak that I need to locate and check.

Thanks to aokrongly and dno36 for you knowledge and compassion to share with this thread.