Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• dno36dno36 Posts: 71
    One of the earlier posts in this thread includes a proper diagram and or pic with the ID's for the solenoids(A,B,C etc...) including the wire colors leading to them.
    I am leaving for work now and will not be able to assist in tracking until I return Saturday, but there is one somewhere in an earlier post here.
    Do not "trial & error" it!

Dean.
  • merryemmerryem Posts: 6
    My Brother did mine. He said they are all different and there is only one way they would fit. I did not see them but I trust he would not lie to me.... I am the older sister! LOL

GL
  • pmc650pmc650 Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    The "A" solenoid is the only one with a white wire. I replaced the one in my daughter's 2002 Focus and it fixed the "overdrive is neutral" problem.

After dropping the pan, I used a multimeter to check the old and new solenoids. The new one measured about 15 ohms from the connector to the metal body. The old (bad) one measured open (no connection).
  • merryemmerryem Posts: 6
    Just to update. We took it to Ford. I had bought and extended warranty (don't remember doing that but they said I did) and it was to expire in 10 days! I guess luck was on my side! The trans was slipping and they rebuilt it. Cost $100.00. I think it should have been free but in the back of my head I think it was the driver and not the car...

Thanks all!
    Merry
  • fordboy4fordboy4 Posts: 1
    Where is the brake pedal switch and how do I change it?
  • allie0426allie0426 Posts: 1
    HI There...I know this post is old, but I'm having the EXACT same issue on the same vehicle with about the same miles. Pep boys pulled code p0772 (they were right in front of me when the problem occured) and I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow as I'm hoping it is covered under the ford power train warranty. I was wondering how this turned out for you?
  • focus87focus87 Posts: 1
    I have and 2003 ford focus lx with 99850miles, just recently my car started jerking on me, 1st and 2nd shift is good but when i goes into 3rd it feels like the car is on neutral, my neighbor scanned my car and the code P0750 Bad function of Shift Solenoid A, had called the ford dealership and they dont go by those codes and want to charge me $100 just for a scan. But the problem is I cant find a Shift Solenoid A anywhere in which is also know as a Shift Control Solenoid, Ive been calling places and they said they have to order the part from Ford but ford is selling it for $171, I live in SW Florida can anyone help me locate this solenoid I dont have the money to pay 171. Thank you
    Stay calm focus87.
    Search back in this thread, there are many helpful posts, use the search feature to find exactly what you need.
    If yours scanned 0750 you need an "A" solenoid.
    It costs about $48 at the Ford parts counter. Don't let them BS you.
    Follow the many here who have had the same issue.
    One of these posts has the Ford part # for the solenoid as well.
    Check posts #76 & #110 for more info.
    GL
    Dean
  • nitahitznitahitz Posts: 3
    The ford Part number is XS4Z-7H148-AA. SOLENOID ASY $46.67 IS WHAT I PAID FOR IT. Unfortunately it did not work for me I need a new trans. Hope it works for you.
  • nyyneefnnyyneefn Posts: 1
    My problem started with a 1996 Ford Contour-transmission problems-dealer I bought the car from said they took it to FORD,(later found out they didn't) Ended up with a 2002 Focus. It has been sitting for 5 yrs with transmission problems. Finally in April got a mechanic to put in an aftermarket(from a popular company) Same problem. Shifting from drive to 2nd it jerks. Now 4 transmissions later I am still having the same problem. Another mechanic told me to google transmissions and here I am. I am on disability, have put over $2000 into my car in the last month, otherwise the car is in great shape. This new mechanic told me it is the solinodes(msp).

My dad was a master mechanic. I know how to change oil, spark plugs, brakes, just not transmissions. He is no longer with us. Can anyone help with suggestions. Called FORD and they said that I can't rely on what is on the web
  • miamay9miamay9 Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    I own a 2002 ford focus and once again having problems with the transmission. A few yers ago i had to have a censer replaced in it cause it would only go 30miles ph. Now my problem is that before the transmission warms up, i can drive it forward and then in reverse,but as soon as it's warm it stops. the replacement of a transmission is costly and hoping it might be another censer. Please help!
    Have you had the computer scanned??
    No i haven't can't drive it to get it scanned. once it gets warm it doesn't move at all in either direction.how can i get this done.
  • brunocordellabrunocordella Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Anybody knows how to replace the "E" solenoid and what is the wiring colors? :( :sick:
    Ok~! I called Auto Zone to rent this scanning machine to see what is wrong with my car and to see what code i need. They told me as long as my engine light isn't on it won't scan. So i go out to make sure the engine light still pops up when i start my car and just my luck it won't. Any other ideas! Please help!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Not necessarily true. Codes may be stored but generally from problems that self-corrected (for the moment). Hence the light went out after a certain number of restarts with the problem not signaling the computer.

• sunriseflsunrisefl Posts: 1
    Just reading this today you can try What Ever It Takes 954-941-0671, don;t know if they sell to the public or just repair shops
  • efdooleyefdooley Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ford Focus that has a little over 69000 miles on it. I began to notice that when it needs to shift up (from 3rd gear up from what I can tell) I feel a vibration and it will either shift back down or finally jump up to the gear it needs to be in. This problem was much more frequent when traveling up a hill. Over the weekend, as I was driving (up an incline), the car seemed like it didn't want to shift up at all and revved very loudly with no increased power. Then the O/D off light began flashing. I took it to a mechanic who drove it (two days later due to being closed for the 4th of July weekend) and said that he didn't experience any problems at all nor were any codes sent to the computer. He serviced the transmission (changed fluids and filter etc), said that the fluid was dirty but there were no metal chunks, and stated that he had driven it three different times afterwards and it was fine. As I was driving it home that day (I live approximately 20 miles from the garage) I began feeling the vibration about a mile before I needed to exit the interstate (I was going about 65 mph). When I got off of the interstate, the car began doing the same thing that it did before, except the O/D off light did not come on this time. My dad drove it back to the mechanic this morning and had no problems out of it at all until he got off of the interstate and began going up a hill, and once again, it began revving with no increased power. Of course, I am fearful that the mechanic will either have no idea what the problem is or tell me that I need an entirely new transmission, which I cannot afford. Has anyone experienced similar problems and perhaps know of a more inexpensive solution?
  • nitahitznitahitz Posts: 3
    I had the same problem, refer to message #76. I followed the directions and at first I thought it did not work because the check engine light stayed on. But the mechanic told me I had to keep driving it so it can reset which I did and it worked. Its shifting into all gears now. The repair cost me 85 dollars 50 for the part and 35 for the mechanic because I am a female and did not want to get my hands dirty ... lol. Message #76 has been a blessing to many of us and I pray it is the same for you. Good luck. GOD Bless.
  • rhonda25rhonda25 Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a used 2003 Ford Focus for our daughter to take to college. The car is now jerking a bit when it is first started but then runs just fine very much like the problems in #279. She claims that the problem started shortly after her father changed the oil..

any ideas?