Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• maniac4maniac4 Posts: 41
    Prolly cam, But that torque convertor sounds great. The main reason we are even having this conversation is simple. the slipping clutches 11-12-13 tsb.
    not performed and the dealer is useless. I could fix it for them if I had too. 6.5 hours?. They dont want to do the job 6.5 hours to R&R a transmission aint enough time for a flat rate mechanic........no money in it. Isnt what this all boils down to? I agree the car is faster and rides nicer than others but come on man. fix it!
  • dcpeazydcpeazy Posts: 1
    So ford just contacted me regarding my focus. They are going to buy it back. Issues started at 5k, took it in at 5k, 19k, 23k, 26k, 31k x3, all for the transmission issues. They are giving me 28k credit for my car, the trade-in i had done, tax license, and are charging me 1400 for usage to 5k miles(the start of the issues). I assume I have to use the credit to pay off whatever is still owed on my car and I then put the rest toward the principal amount of the new car i get ? Or can I walk away from the car and dealership, and just take my money from ford minus whatever is owed? any help is appreciated
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Have you tried other dealers? The dealer I go to is one of the largest in the state, probably has 30 service bays, and every time I go in there to complain they replace something. They've never given me the runaround yet. I have a feeling they have more pull with Ford and have more service techs that are an expert in each field and therefore can do these trickier jobs. If your dealer is a small mom and pop, I'd suggest finding a larger one in your region.
    Naaa. I called ford and they are very involved. Its the dealer for sure. Ford aint happy with them
    Wow, you done good , At least its good ford done that for you. Id get a different ford though. In your case they stood behind thier product. I get a new clutch pack and seals tommorro. hope thats the end for me. but you done the impossible...kudos
  • julsibejulsibe Posts: 1
    Hi...I have a 2013 Ford Focus. I have 4600 miles on it. The other day I started noticing a klunking noise, and I could feel a vibration in it. I called my dealership and they told me to bring it in. Of course when the service guy drove it, it didnt make any noice....I got in it with him and we went for a little drive and sure enough the klunking started. Heres what I was told.....apparently the focus has a issue and will "shudder". They can fix this fairly easy. HOWEVER.....mine issue is in the transmission, and they said something about when it goes to 3rd gear. Thankfully I didnt get the run around from my dealership. They got me a loaner told me that it would be about a week and said they will call when they get in there and find the problem. I am not happy about this. I dont think I should have to drive around a brand new car that has had the transmission torn down. I have had better luck buying used cars!
    edited May 2013
    Well thats it the focus it is gone for good ,,I traded it in for a escape. little money lost but a loss is a loss. the dealer owner was there and help greatly. thank goodness I wont have any more dct to worry about. I wont be posting here no more . but for sure in the escape pages. Do yourself a favor a dump it fast. its value is dropping like a rock. yes I lost a testicle but im free at last.

good luck guys and girls but you got to know when to throw in the towel.I did and am very pleased.

the end of over a year of aggravation god bless
  • puffinalongpuffinalong Posts: 32
    does the Escape have a front wheel version or a 2.0 and what tranny does it offer that makes you feel so good?
    Surely the millage will differ.
    Good luck,Puffin
    Yes fwd...motor 2.5 liter . transmission 6 speed torque convertor..It does have a select shift option . but I prolly wont be using that part of it ....mileage is ok. but it does eat more gas. keep in mind its got 49 miles on it. so the motor is very tight.Cant really say much else . Its built right I can say that . From a perspective of the little miles and what Im seeing.. A word on the focus..once I saw how small that tranny was especially the clutch...I traded while the new clutch was being installed. why heck! that clutch is tiny.
  • robo309robo309 Posts: 1
    Wow, I just found this website and now I know I'm not alone. My 2012 Focus Sel has been at the dealer 3 times because I knew something was not right with the transmission. Each time they tell me owe yeah we've adjusted it and it is better, but even after they pulled the transmission it seems better for a few weeks, then back to jumpy and rattling. I love my car, it's my first new car I've ever had. Leave it to me to pick a lemon by the way, I'm going to take a trip and going to go up a large grad. Can anyone explain to me how to get the car more power for going up grade? I've read my manual 10 times, but I don't have overdrive cancel, so I assume I need to put it in "S" mode, but then what? Help please.
    I wouldn't play with the S mode especially down shifting.
    Do you have a 2.0 or a 1.6?
    I have Ti, Ford made a mistake getting rid of then SEL Focus IMAO,
    Save your money up and trade or sell it before your tranny goes and keep all records. Puffin
    edited May 2013
    Yup puf is right on. Save all documents and dump that car as soon as you can. We will prevail in a court of law if we stand together,. Ford knows this . they simply cant get away with this anymore. thank god for the internet. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Robo, if your tranny is reluctant to downshift when going up a grade, shift into S mode and use the rocker switch on the shift lever to manually downshift. I do this all the time, but rather I do it to upshift at 35 mph to save fuel since the it won't automatically upshift until 40 mph.
    Kirstie, no one is asking for help from Shifty,or you.
    All we want is that, if you know that a problem exist as in the Focus tell us.
    We don't get on here just for T.C.O: or T.M.V. I thought we were all members that try to help one another.
    You can't say the Focus DCT isn't suspect.
    Maybe, I don't know what the host on Edsmund do.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    Well, there's no way for our editors to know about every problem on every vehicle, especially those that show up after the first few months of ownership. Our editors provide some initial reviews, and in those reviews they point out what they see as flaws.

We try to provide info by way of consumer reviews - these are reviews of the vehicle provided by people who OWN the vehicle. That's the same way many other sites gather data on issues and reliability - by polling consumers who own the vehicle. Our editors generally have a vehicle sample of one, meaning they would have driven one Focus of any particular model year. Consumer reviews offer a sample of multiple vehicles, and that's better since not all vehicles will have an issue, even if that issue is prevalent on that model.

The point is that we don't "hide" info from consumers because the manufacturer has purchased advertising here. I guess I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, or expecting...?

(Host, by the way, are just here to help guide conversation and help people find their way around... and to ensure that no one's trolling, spamming, etc.)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• markag1markag1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2013 and I have the shudder and the sound of loose metal or plastic. My dealer reports this is a 2013 problem and is covered, of course, by warranty. if you have been charges ANYTHING, call ford hotline and ask to have your complaint reviewed by a regional service troubleshooter. You can get your money back. By the way, I have had it in for the trans 2 times, they replaced gears, still a problem. The shudder is no better also.
  • ptbishptbish Posts: 7
    I'm going to pick my 2013 Focus up from the service dept. this afternoon. It's in for exactly the same complaint... mine happens after the tran. is hot, is that the case for others? I've got 1k miles on the car. I have started a case with Ford customer service, for what it's worth. I love the rest of my car; hate the tranny. Same tune you've all heard before. I'll keep you updated on my progress or lack there of.
    I haven't been driving my Ti, much as to keep the millage low in order to sell it next year.
    I have 1800 miles in 6 months and it's a 2013 Focus Ti sedan loaded.
    Well, I took it on a fly fishing trip. I traveled through gorges, notches, and through the mountains and at times wished it was a 6 spd.
    Ok, going up the mountains, or hills that had slow vehicle lanes were murder as the tranny wouldn't stay forever in a low torque gear and the tires seemed out of balance. I want to know if this is a shudder.
    When I hit the S curves in the notches I punched it and I went from 50 to 83 mph like it had an after burner on it. The engine was running like a V Tec. It just wanted to go. (fun ride) I stopped at Screw Auger Falls to have lunch and took off up the gorge and the car drove like riding a dead horse as the tranny wasn't shifting fluidly at all . It took to long to get up to speed
    and didn't shift smoothly the timing in the gears is off.
    The car is definitely for a flatlander. Happy Motoring, Puffin
    Flatlander.LOL Havent heard that one in a long time......And you are correct , Its not worth a hoot on hills. I reckon this car is very bad on I-40 at the tennesse state line?.Them hills are as steep as a mules face.LOL
  • ptbishptbish Posts: 7
    edited May 2013
    A quick recap: 2013 Focus SE, 6 spd auto, 1100 mls.,shuddering, slipping and making grinding,or rattling noises during up-shifts at low speeds when trans. is well warmed up (30 min.). Took it in to Mall of Ga. Ford last week. Their trans. tech. did test drive with me and said "that's not right". I didn't get it to make the noise,( though it did it immediately upon leaving the dealership, of course) but she did witness the shuddering, slipping, hesitating...however you want to describe it. Took it back the next day and left it for 2 days. They did a lot of testing, both stationary and moving, said it was slipping from 2nd to 3 rd gr. , reprogrammed the shift points, for which there is supposedly a TSB. My work order said that they could not completely remove the slippage but it was within Ford specs, and that the grinding noise was fixed. So.... I've now had it back a week and have not heard the noise yet,(it only occurred when the trans. was very hot, however, so the jury is still out) but it is still shuddering during low gear shifts. My service rep said to give it two weeks to re-learn my driving habits, so I'll do that, and then take it back again. Why do I think I already know where this is heading. Hmmm... :confuse:
  • Just a reply to that. . I'm so tired of hearing that. . Learn your driving. I do believe this is the common response.. it's getting old. .. well I've got parts on back order.. that will be interesting to see the outcome.. and life goes on! ;)
  • Well. .I took my 2012 Ford focus se in Wednesday. Had an email from the dealership that the parts that were on backorder until the end of June were in. .. early. What's in the report states this. .. fluid leak from input shaft seal causing clutch slippage...so they changed the clutch assembly the inner and outer input shaft seals ... plus all other fluids involved around there. ... so. . We shall see. Its like this. . You want to believe it's fixed.. but is it really?? It seemed to easy. ..Time will tell. . Keep you all posted!

All shook up. . For a smoother drive! :)
    Well, that's good news, But I lost all faith in that gearbox. They are supposed to be upgraded seals. but I seen the same old ones being installed in mine.
    If this don't work, As in some cases it don't. Unfortunately,

good luck to you. .Let us know how it turns out.
    If it isn't corrected after that, You have no choice but to rid of it.

I hope you don't got to do that, I did. I had too. I was in a bad spot . no car and need transportation bad. Maybe im paranoid but I don't trust them dct . What were they thinking? yes Im deeper in debt, but I don't have this stress no more.

best wishes
    Maniac.
  • Thanks Maniac.. my husband said the same thing. . Time will tell I'll keep you all posted on the out come.. time will tell! !

Happy for now.
    All shook up for a possible smooth ride!
    Fingers crossed. . :D
  • snnopy92snnopy92 Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I have a 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 petrol with auto-trans and, i get transmission error codes:
    P0761, P0732, P0734 when I scanned the first time after having several dash board warning about the transmission.
    The transmission is slipping for 1st to 2nd then from 2nd to 3rd but hesitate to 4h then down-shift to 3rd and sometimes not upshift to 4th gear at all and the lignt goes on on the dash-board at this time or when I drive at 40 KM/H and stop pushing on the gas pedal!....*
    The lasr error code reading is P0734 only?

What is the problem and what can I do to fixe it?

Thank in advance for your help.
  • please email me and tell me how that goes...i just bought a red 2013 focus se auto and drove 450 miles and now its sitting at the dealership ...i dont need it sounding like its grinding up aluminum cans under there for me...please email me at MarcusDavidLimbaugh@hotmail.com.....please let me know how it goes
  • LIFESAVER!

Thank you for the invaluable information
  • I have a ford focus 2012 se with 13000 miles on it. I was just wondering if anyone is having the same problem that I had today. I was driving and it the car just shut off and would not restart. Also the time and date are two days behind and six hours off for the time. THanks
  • Hi everyone. . Well since I got my car back. .2012 Ford focus se with close to 9k miles on it .. it was in for the tranny noise ...slipping and shuddering for those who didn't see my previous posts. It has been running beautifully! I still remain skeptical though. ..I have the fear that it might come back. . But that's the way i am. A skeptic! I do want tobbelieve that it's fixed for good and will have no more worries! I'm still annoyed that a brand new car had these types of issues but that can happen with anything! I'll keep checking in and reading updates! In case anyone was wondering it's been about 2 weeks now. ...

Smooth driving ahead! :)
  • no,sounds like a software problem though.