Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    I have a 2012 SEL hatch built on 4/29 and I haven't had any transmission issues. At first, it shifted a little hard and it took around 800-1000 miles for the shifting to smooth out, now it's perfect. Some cars have experienced a shudder and shifting concerns that have not smoothed out over time, those issues were cleared up with reprogramming. Cars built after August or September have the new programing and are not experiencing any issues. I'll also add, if you are considering MyFord Touch, you should not have any concerns. Cars built after October have an entirely new software design and owners with units built prior to that date will receive a usb drive early in the first quarter of 2012 with a total software update. I love my Focus, it's smooth, quiet and gets great mileage and it looks good too. I hope this helped.
  • DO NOT BUY A FORD. I purchased Ford Focus 2012 6 months ago and transmission is a problem. Dealer keeps resetting computer, upgrading computer software still a problem. I am certain it is a design flaw and Ford wishes me to accept a less then solid car. If you want to settle for sub par workmanship then Ford is your choice. If you want well built and reliability then Toyota, Honda, Hyundia are you options. You would think that by now American Car makers would be able to produce solid cars. Its a crap shoot, you might get lucky and be fine. I can't stand Ford dealer soaked me for full retail on this 2012 focus and transmission is messed up. Sometimes the transmission will work OK if you press the gas just right but if you don't it sputters and grinds. The dealer now is telling well that just how the transmission works. An occasional grinder a sputter here and there, it's fine they say. I say I purchased a brand new car and should not have to accept sub par performance. Again if you don't mind getting the shaft then go ahead and purchase FORD
  • I am experiencing a similar issue in my Ford Focus 2012 automatic with 16,000 miles.
    Vibration and hesitation as you described also transmission grinds(rattles) sometimes when you let off the gas and apply the gas between gears shifting.
    The dealer keeps resetting and updating computer software that controls the transmission. NOT WORKING. Last time around they are saying well that is just how it works. OMG now they want me to accept a sub par performance and forget about it. Frustrated.
  • Here is my story...
    December the 20th, 2011
    To whom it may concern:
    I bought a Ford Focus SEL 2012, in a local Ford “CarOne” dealer. The sales person that sold the car to me said that I was buying one of the best cars in the market, with extraordinary new technology and that it is unique in the world.

With that on mind I had to arrange all the documents necessary to make this happen and be one of the first costumers to buy the all new Ford Focus 2012.

On the 30th of May, I received by email the invoice and on the 6th of June my new car arrived to the dealer and I picked it up. At first I was very happy until all problems started to appear.

I had to take the car back to the dealer because something was wrong with the computer inside, the touch screen it was continuously resetting and a black screen appeared saying “it was performing an scheduled system maintenance”. The person from the dealer’s workshop told me that it was nothing to worry about and it was a matter of programming the computer again. After that, apparently the touch screen was working fine.

Again on July, I had to take the unit back because I felt something was working wrong with the unit’s transmission, the shifts were not working right, I don’t know exactly how to explain this, but the transmission was bumping, hitting within itself. I immediately took the car back to the dealer’s workshop and they told me that what the car needed was an additional computer-programming process and the car stayed for two days. Another failure in this “new” unit is that as of today the pilot door and the door behind are misaligned in relation to the rest of unit’s body. I also have asked to fix this problem but nothing has happened.

After that, I took out the car from the workshop and at first it did feel different but the truth came up a few days later showing the same symptoms. So I did take it back again to the dealer’s workshop. By August, I had taken my Ford Focus four times back to the workshop because the computer and the transmission problems continued to appear.

This time, he told me again that the problem was neither in the transmission nor in the motor; he said that everything was about programming the computer again. So this time he asked me to drive another unit to try it and see how this unit was working so he can copy the programming and put it into my Ford Focus 2012 unit´s computer. We did the test with a Ford Focus 2012 SEL PLUS, and this unit worked fine. He copied the program and pasted it into the memory of my Ford Focus 2012.

Again, I took it out from the workshop but I had to take it back because something was wrong with the touch screen, the volume was going up and down with no reason. This time I talked with the Ford Dealer’s General Manager to let her know all the problems this unit was having and that I was not happy with the quality of this Ford Focus SEL 2012.

A few days later, by mid September the same bumping and hitting was still feeling in the transmission, this was the sixth time I took back the unit to the workshop and after 2 days of the unit being there, they called me and told me that one of the reasons of the bumping and hitting it was because a motor mount was damaged. He asked for the piece to Mexico City and 2 days later it arrived to the dealer’s workshop. They changed it and once again, for a few days, the car was feeling somewhat better, but not completely. In time, it started to feel like it was losing power between shifts, it felt like I was driving a manual shift transmission instead of an automatic transmission.
    Once again the bumping and hitting within the transmission began to reappear, and again last Friday, December the 16th the unit was taken to the dealer’s workshop. And again, they told me this time it was only a matter of programming. He also told me that he had a software update and that he will be installing it into the Ford Focus SEL 2012’s computer. He also said that he will need to perform a driving test so the computer can learn and after all these new strategies the car will be ready to hit the street again.
    They assured me that with the new programming my Ford Focus SEL 2012 would be ready and I would enjoy all the features of this wonderful unit.
    Saturday the 17th by noon, they called me to tell me that the car was not working well and it was showing the same symptoms, bumping and hitting within the transmission.
    Today is Tuesday the 20th of the December 2011, I have called the General Manager to tell her that my patience has reached its limit and that I need an immediate solution. I have asked her to lend me a car meanwhile we completely fix the problem because I have been without a car each of the seven times that the car has been in the workshop. As you can see, this situation is completely out of what someone can expect of a new vehicle. I believe I’m not asking for much since I’m taking the car for guarantee and they have made nothing to compensate the inconvenience.
    My Ford Focus 2012 has run 6,650 kilometers (4,132 miles).
    With the experience I have had so far with the acquisition of this Ford Focus, I feel I would never again buy a Ford unit nor recommend FORD as an option to my family, friends, colleagues etc. I’m very unsatisfied with FORD dealer in Monterrey, México and with the functionality of this unit.

Only through a lasting solution to my problem will I be able to change my current feeling towards your company.

Therefore, I want my money back or a total change of car. I am contacting Ford’s Corporate Offices because I believe and am confident that you will be able to give a definite solution to this painstaking problem as soon as possible, given the commitment to quality and customer service that you constantly promote.
  • Keep us posted regarding contacting Ford�s Corporate. I will be taking my ford focus 2012 back for the 5th time in a couple weeks for the transmission problem. Soon I will have to contact Corporate myself and potentially go down the road of Lemon Law. :lemon:
  • My wife has a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 with about 32,000 miles driven. In the last few months, the automatic transaxle has started behaving strangely, meaning un-requested shifting, momentarily into another gear. Because the car is driven always with the overdrive on, the shifting must be into a lower gear. At first the phenomenon only happened one of two times during a 10 ten mile drive, but she had our local trusted auto garage inspect the operation of the transaxle and do a flush job on it. The auto guys there could find no problem, or did not experience the un-requested shifting.
    The phenomenon is happening more often now, maybe six times during a 30 mile drive and it seems to be correlated with the following driver actions: switching from low beam to high beam head lights, switching on the turn indicator , changing the wind shield wiper speed, turning on the cruse control on or off, We are waiting for the intermittent action to happen enough so that if we give the car to the auto garage again, they can experience it and get some insight.. The phrase on the forum “Transmission or Electrical problem?” seems appropriate. The Overdrive button works OK, as does the light. I am theorizing that a sudden change in electrical voltage make be causing the action, but it is a feeble attempt at understanding the issue. If any one has any insight, we would like to here it.
  • I figured out my noise, seems to have been front bad wheel bearings, well since I was there, the lower ball joints were bad, it seems that things go out in pairs as my brake calipers did earlier this year at different times.
    So I replaced both wheel bearings, both lower ball joints, both drive axles, both tie rod ends, both sway links, both brake rotors & pads, transmission filter & fluid, spark plugs and wires, serpentine belt and splash shield, oil & filter, gas filter, air filter.
    That should have taken care of things in the front half or car, ready for another happy 170,000 miles.
    My next project, rebuild / replace the rear components to secure any rear end problems.
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    edited December 2011
    Well, what happened?
  • I test drove the automatic-equipped Focus and Fiesta at this week's San Diego Auto Show. I was expecting to experience the various transmission maladies that have been widely report. Both cars drove perfectly, with absolutely no noticeable tranny glitches. Hmmm. . .
  • Well of course not, the ones you drove are brand new. It's not until you sign the paper work and drive 5 miles down the road that the transmission falls out. No but seriously the MTX-75 tranny is not that bad it just has issues with the solenoids wearing out around every 30 to 50 thousand miles, if you can replace them yourself is only about $140 which is not bad for maintenance costs, if you can't do it yourself, your looking at around $500.
  • dno36dno36 Posts: 71
    Are you serious....you drove brand new selected cars at the Auto Show.....Seriously...How long have you worked for FordMoCo??
  • I HAD JUST PURCHASED A NEW 2012 FORD FOCUS TITANIUM. I WILL STATE THAT THE DESIGN INSIDE AND OUT IS REALLY NICE AND ENJOY TREMENDOUSLY. THE SYNC SYSTEM IS VERY NICE BUT A BIT QUIRKY AT TIMES. THE SYSTEM DOES FREEZE UP EVERY NOW AND THEN WHICH IS VERY FRUSTRATING BUT, AS WITH ANY COMPUTER THIS DOES HAPPEN. WITH TAT SAID THERE IS NO MASTER RESET SO YOU JUST DRIVE UNTIL IT RE SETS ON IT'S OWN. THE RIDE IS VERY NICE AND WITH UPGRADED SUSPENSION HANDLING IS CRISP AND TIGHT ALSO 18 INCH RIMS. I WILL GET TO THE EXTREMELY BAD PROBLEMS I HAVE ENCOUNTERED. NOW I WILL SAY I HAVE ONLY 500 MILES ON THIS CAR. THE GAS MILEAGE IS QUOTED AS ABOUT 34-40 MPG. THEY MUST HAVE ACHIEVED THIS BY DRIVING DOWNHILL FOR 500 MILES. I AM SURE THERE WILL BE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AS TO ADDRESS THIS POINT. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS WITH THE DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP THIS IS. YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PICKUP OFF THE LINE. WHEN PRESSING THE GAS PETAL YOU GET A SHUTTER FOLLOWED BY A GRINDING NOISE THAT MAKE YOU VERY NERVOUS. THIS COULD PRESENT A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE. IF YOU ARE PUT IN A POSITION THAT REQUIRES A FAST START OR QUICK JUMP-YOU WILL BE IN TROUBLE. JUST TO SAY I SAID IT FIRST THERE WILL BE A LAW SUITS JUST AS WE SAW WITH THE HONDA. NO ACCELERATION IS JUST AS BAD AS TOO MUCH ACCELERATION. JUST FEEL TAKEN AND WENT AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGMENT. IF ANY FORD CORPORATE PEOPLE ARE READING THIS PLEASE GIVE ME ANOTHER CAR. I LOVE THE COLOR AND STYLE AND IT DRIVE GREAT AFTER 15 MPH. PLEASE HELP ME THE DEALER IS SCRATCHING THEIR HEADS.
    What a great car. I'd try ,then compare to Focus.
    Puffin
  • I know this was quite a while ago but I was just wondering if you ever got this fixed. I have replaced solenoid A and C. The car ran fine for a day or two then the same thing. Hits third and then just revs up but wont move. When I turn the overdrive off though it shifts just fine. Tested the solenoid C that was removed and it was blown.. So now I will take it apart again and see if the new C is also blown. If so then where do I look for the problem?? Thanks
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    i hate to burst your bubble here but recently i test drove a 2012 ford focus SE with the convienence package that included cruise control and MFT as well as the sync system. this car according to the door still plates was recently built on 11/28/11..the salesman assured me before the test drive that all the bugs have been worked out with the dual-clutch tranny issues and have been re-programmed.with this in mind i took the focus out for a test drive and couldn't believe what i was feeling right off the bat...jerking,grinding,pulling,..infact,i almost got rear-ended pulling out of the dealership because of the lack of low end power due to the tranny.needeless to say,the salesman felt embarreseed after he had just told me that the issues with the tranny have been fixed.i returned the focus to the dealer and this test drive for me was over and i have made a vow to never again either test drive or even consider another ford product.
  • numenanumena Posts: 3
    Last night my OD light started flashing orange so i went to AutoZone, they tested my Focus and it came back saying: Solenoid A stuck closed. Is this the same problem that everyone else has been mentioning, or is this something diferent all together. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance
  • Hi i have a 04 focus and have hit a problem with my transmission. When putting the car into drive
    the car pulls away ok but then the car over revs at the top of first gear` seems to loose drive then suddenly shoots into the remainder of the gears and then drives without a problem until you again slow down into the lower range or come to a stop can anyone outhere help me please :confuse: d the problem returns.
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    I hate to burst Steven39's bubble, but Thunderbird is absolutely right. I just bought an 2012 SEL yesterday and the transmission works fine. Worked fine during the test drive, but just to be sure I asked them before taking delivery to ensure that all software updates have been made. They said after checking into it they realized one was just issued with TSB 12 1 04 so they made that update. They apparently then drove it for a while so the transmission re-learned or whatever because the car had 34 miles on it when I took delivery. But it drove great on the 50 mile drive home. The best part of this transmission (besides the claimed 5-10% increase in efficiency, or decrease in losses, however you want to look at it) is that power delivery is uninterrupted during acceleration. Even with a true automatic you get some interruption, but this one's is imperceptable. Granted, I just got it so I'll post an update in a couple weeks but so far the car drives and looks great!