Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• lunaparklunapark Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Haven driven my Focus and was going to buy the Dart, but it was not out when I got the Focus in April, 2012, The focus drives, handles, and feels faster than the Dart. The Focus feels more compliant on the road. I was so excited when a dealer called me from an hour from my house about receiving the first Dart, I got in the car and drove down with the intention of trading in the Focus, only to be so extremely disapointed. Dodge had such an incredible opprotunity to get it right, and they so missed the mark and the thing has a Turbo in it and the Focus out accelerates it in N/A form.
  • hwiebehwiebe Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem as johnnyb15. I had the updates done before Christmas and now it's doing the same thing again - slipping into neutral it how it feels - back and forth. Can't get any speed out of it. Left it back at the dealership and told them not to call me until it's fixed once and for all.
  • 2007 Ford Focus with 95,000 miles. I'm having the very same issue as #579 above. Most of the time it is working ok - but now and then, it will ref like in neutral. It has happened when just starting out. But also when going down the highway at 70 mph. Took it to a shop this past week and they are saying that the transmission will need to be rebuilt. That there are two bore holes in the transmission that need to be rebored. And cost will be around $2,600 plus tax. Ouch. It has been a good car - until this. Have never had tranny problems in any past car for 45+ years. So very frustrating. (Mechanic said that Ford has had transmission issues.) QUESTION: Does anyone know of possible ways to get this fixed for less? No warranty. Just looking for possible alternative solutions. (Or would it be better to sell it and get something newer? Pro's and con's?) Thanks....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    $2600?? You could buy a brand new transaxle from Ford for less than that. Maybe you need to shop around a bit and get a second opinion on this issue.

• maniac4maniac4 Posts: 41
    Thats way high of a price.........aamco should run around 1,500$. remove and replace. You are getting taken advantage of In my opinion!.
  • the car is an automatic transmission has 70k miles on it i was driving along one day and the transmission kind of cut out in around 3rd gear and sounded like it was free wheeling , the overdrive light did come on but once i pulled over (silly) i turned the engine off and it wiped the code . Since then i have heard the same noise occasionally is there any way of checking the problem other then code reading and is anyone a mechanic these days who can troubleshoot without charging an arm and a leg? was quoted $400 just to drop the pan . only a few weeks before another light came on for the airbags and was wondering if by the off chance this could be related?
  • just_focusjust_focus CincinnatiPosts: 29
    My brother tells me that the S mode can be used for 2 things. 1 Manually shift the car with the button shifter or 2 pull it into S mode and just drive it. He said it shifts much better around town and its not fussy. It does not go into 6th gear so it kind of a City/sports mode. I am going to try it tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it works around town.
    Arent the cluches on the powershift covered to 60k miles?
  • I just got my ford focus 2012, used, in august and I found out that my transmission is leaking and causing the cluches to slip. also found out my warranty ends in 2014-(warranty started in 2011)must have only been a 3 years warranty or 60,000 mile. I had a 2002 focus and never had a problem with anything. I loved it but now I am worried about having more issues with this one. Luckily the warranty covers it now. but what about next year/ I hope after this is fixed that will be the end of it.Maybe this info will help others, I hope so.
  • toolate1toolate1 Posts: 2
    Anyone confirm is late model Focus are affected by the transmission owes or not. in the news i see Ford reporting the the programming has been changed byt I doubt that is the real issue
    Im a little confused . Isnt it three year 36k mile bumper to bumber and 5 years 60k drivetrain warranty?

That entire transmission should be a warranty item. Including the clutches. But I cant get a specific answer. The driver has no input as to what the clutch does, As contrary to a stardard shift. On a standard I can see where a new driver can burn out a clutch.But I cant see a new driver burning out these. no input.
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    You are wise to doubt. The frequency may be lower, but there are still MY '13 owners reporting transmission "quirks".
  • I drive in the S mode quite a lot.....I find that it does less of the "shuddering" so to say but it still does. I let it shift automatically instead of using button shifter. Hasn't solved it, but I still want to get it in anyway....I switch back and forth from Drive and S....makes a difference to me...It's still aggravating though! :confuse: ">
  • dd123dd123 Posts: 52
    Thinking about buying a ford focus 2013 automatic
    Looking at the transmission problems here, I am reconsidering my decision and thinking about going for civic 2013.
  • puffinalongpuffinalong Posts: 32
    edited March 2013
    dd, go to Kelly Blue Book focus s consumer reviews. I just bought a Focus Ti $25,000 and I'm afraid to drive it.
    I've been locked out twice the Sd card failed and so did the bluetooth, as the screen frooze I 'd stay away from a focus.Toooo many problems with the transmision and MFT.
  • mifocusmifocus Posts: 1
    2013 models also affected. Bought new '13 Focus SE which had oil leak from rear main seal leaking onto cluthes. Defective from the factory. At 7000 miles finally took it in and got the bad news. Took Ford 2 weeks to get parts, only showed up after calling Ford's customer service.

After repair, transmission does shift more firmly - but you have to wonder how long. Car sat for a couple of days, when it was started and put into drive it made a loud noise as the clutches appear to be sticking. Back to the dealer.

Automatic/Manual transmissions seem to be a disaster. Wished I had read other comments earlier.
  • toolate1toolate1 Posts: 2
    how did you know you had a problem?
    Surprising no class action law suit yet or recall
  • There is a class action suit google it or read KBB complaints on the Focus trannies. I think the title is Focus S tranny probs. :sick:
    Just curios would a select shift from a escape swap out to a focus?. the 2.5 liter block looks the same.I think it might work. the bolt pattern appears the same. but I didnt measure. Wouldnt it be better if this swap could be done at the dealer and end these complaints? If its not working out change it. I either love mine or hate mine its that type of tranny.
    There is none that im aware of google lied!