Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• puffinalongpuffinalong Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    You'll lose a lot of money on a trade.
    I agree with your post though I tried to warn everyone on here
    but, to no avail. I have a Focus Ti and I don't drive it hardly at all. I have 1600 miles on it.(in 4 months) I'm dumping it and going back to a German or Japanese car.
    Consumer reports ,which I should of read stated the Focus had a black circle for reliability.
    How it got rated # 1 compact car is crazy. The car is noisy,rough riding and the transmission is suspect.
    You can't expect Edmunds to help you as Ford advertises on here.I've been on Edmunds for 20 years.I use to love the Integra days and Nippon Only,Himmler,Syder,Luv My Sepher all those guys were knowledgeable.
    You never hear about the class action suit brewing over the Focus DCT transmission on here.
    Sorry you had to join the club,but hang on to it for at least 2 yrs.You have a 6 year warranty on the tranny.So keep bringing it back and put My Garage and Ford motor in your favorites .You will be able to print out all your service calls.I have had 4 electrical visit as the sync and nav went kaput and car locked me out twice. Unreal for 23k and trying to be patriotic.
    Be well and prosper. Puffin
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,644
    "You can't expect Edmunds to help you as Ford advertises on here."

Simply not true. :) We try to help everyone. That's what we do.
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    The amount of misinformation on here is comical:

“I do know the escapes are a cvt type transmission.” – maniac4

No it isn’t. It’s a conventional torque converter automatic.

“.. so i got a rental. .2012 Ford fusion. .. same tranny. ..” - starluck3000

No it’s not. Like the Fusion, it’s a conventional torque converter automatic.

I understand the pain a lot of you feel, my Focus had the shudder a couple of times. But the dealer replaced the clutch pack about 5,000 miles ago and the tranny has been pretty much perfect since then. Sure it behaves a little funky now and again, that’s the way the DCT is. And it’s a heck of a lot better than a CVT that so many manufacturers are going to these days.

There’s a new Motor Trend compact car comparo that puts the brand new Sentra dead last. Why? In large part due to its CVT that sounds and behaves horridly. I think this is just becoming the nature of compact, highly fuel efficient cars.
  • maniac4maniac4 Posts: 41
    Ford clearly calls the fusion transmission a E-cvt automatic. What do you call it?
    Fusion my bad.....yes funny stuff. LOL. Just fix it already!.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    I can't even imagine where this notion came from. If we refused to help anyone who has an issue with a vehicle manufactured by one of our advertisers, we'd have zero posts. Hosts also regularly encourage members to report serious issues to the NHTSA, since that's the best way to gather complaints in one place, and they're the only ones who can investigate and force a recall if needed.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Ford clearly calls the fusion transmission a E-cvt automatic. What do you call it?

That's for the hybrid only. All other Fusions have a conventional TQ automatic. Doubt you got a hybrid as a loaner / rental, so you were probably driving a conventional auto.

I agree, I'd prefer a conventional auto in the Focus too. But there does seem to be something to the claim of increased efficiency of the DCT. The Focus has pretty much the fastest acceleration in the class but is still competitive on fuel economy.
  • ptbishptbish Posts: 7
    I'm glad to here Ford was able to fix your problem. At the risk of beating a dead horse to death (ha, ha), the problem I , and many others, are having is more than just a little shudder and quirky behavior; the thing sounds like it's got loose metal rolling around when shifting from 1-2, and 3-4. At the same time it tends to hesitate badly. This is a flawed design and needs to be recalled before someone gets killed.
  • ptbishptbish Posts: 7
    I thought things had settled down the last few days, but I think it was only because I was doing mostly highway driving. I just got back from tooling around town in my beautiful new car, and the "clatter" monster reared its ugly head again. I have the day off tomorrow, so I thing I am going back to the dealer to get the service manager to ride with me.. not expecting any results, just want to start getting the thing documented. I am at 750 miles, btw.
    I just know the dealer will say something like
    A you just arent used to it
    B Its fine its all in your head
    C I dunno whats wrong
    D You test drove it and it was good right? you prolly broke it.
    E Wheres my lunch you just wait right here while I hide{dern fool knows im stuck there.}
    F You got a oil leak at the seal but its just dandy.No Worry
    G get lost, Ive never met you
    YOU GET TO PICK THE EXCUSE! thats what I call customer service. :(
    I heard them all. Im not violent but want to pinch his head off. Try to keep cool. I cant though.

Im not pointing fingers but its sad to see people working real hard for a car like this. Its just wrong. I need a lawyer. Its as if they literally put their hands in your pocket and took your money. Why is it always the working folks getting hosed. But dont fret none they will set you right up with a cup of cofee and a million excuses. Everyone of these problems are fixable tsb,s prove it. But how do you get the dealer to fix it?
    Prolly cam, But that torque convertor sounds great. The main reason we are even having this conversation is simple. the slipping clutches 11-12-13 tsb.
    not performed and the dealer is useless. I could fix it for them if I had too. 6.5 hours?. They dont want to do the job 6.5 hours to R&R a transmission aint enough time for a flat rate mechanic........no money in it. Isnt what this all boils down to? I agree the car is faster and rides nicer than others but come on man. fix it!
  • dcpeazydcpeazy Posts: 1
    So ford just contacted me regarding my focus. They are going to buy it back. Issues started at 5k, took it in at 5k, 19k, 23k, 26k, 31k x3, all for the transmission issues. They are giving me 28k credit for my car, the trade-in i had done, tax license, and are charging me 1400 for usage to 5k miles(the start of the issues). I assume I have to use the credit to pay off whatever is still owed on my car and I then put the rest toward the principal amount of the new car i get ? Or can I walk away from the car and dealership, and just take my money from ford minus whatever is owed? any help is appreciated
    Have you tried other dealers? The dealer I go to is one of the largest in the state, probably has 30 service bays, and every time I go in there to complain they replace something. They've never given me the runaround yet. I have a feeling they have more pull with Ford and have more service techs that are an expert in each field and therefore can do these trickier jobs. If your dealer is a small mom and pop, I'd suggest finding a larger one in your region.
    Naaa. I called ford and they are very involved. Its the dealer for sure. Ford aint happy with them
    Wow, you done good , At least its good ford done that for you. Id get a different ford though. In your case they stood behind thier product. I get a new clutch pack and seals tommorro. hope thats the end for me. but you done the impossible...kudos
  • julsibejulsibe Posts: 1
    Hi...I have a 2013 Ford Focus. I have 4600 miles on it. The other day I started noticing a klunking noise, and I could feel a vibration in it. I called my dealership and they told me to bring it in. Of course when the service guy drove it, it didnt make any noice....I got in it with him and we went for a little drive and sure enough the klunking started. Heres what I was told.....apparently the focus has a issue and will "shudder". They can fix this fairly easy. HOWEVER.....mine issue is in the transmission, and they said something about when it goes to 3rd gear. Thankfully I didnt get the run around from my dealership. They got me a loaner told me that it would be about a week and said they will call when they get in there and find the problem. I am not happy about this. I dont think I should have to drive around a brand new car that has had the transmission torn down. I have had better luck buying used cars!
    edited May 2013
    Well thats it the focus it is gone for good ,,I traded it in for a escape. little money lost but a loss is a loss. the dealer owner was there and help greatly. thank goodness I wont have any more dct to worry about. I wont be posting here no more . but for sure in the escape pages. Do yourself a favor a dump it fast. its value is dropping like a rock. yes I lost a testicle but im free at last.

good luck guys and girls but you got to know when to throw in the towel.I did and am very pleased.

the end of over a year of aggravation god bless
  • puffinalongpuffinalong Posts: 32
    does the Escape have a front wheel version or a 2.0 and what tranny does it offer that makes you feel so good?
    Surely the millage will differ.
    Good luck,Puffin
    Yes fwd...motor 2.5 liter . transmission 6 speed torque convertor..It does have a select shift option . but I prolly wont be using that part of it ....mileage is ok. but it does eat more gas. keep in mind its got 49 miles on it. so the motor is very tight.Cant really say much else . Its built right I can say that . From a perspective of the little miles and what Im seeing.. A word on the focus..once I saw how small that tranny was especially the clutch...I traded while the new clutch was being installed. why heck! that clutch is tiny.
  • robo309robo309 Posts: 1
    Wow, I just found this website and now I know I'm not alone. My 2012 Focus Sel has been at the dealer 3 times because I knew something was not right with the transmission. Each time they tell me owe yeah we've adjusted it and it is better, but even after they pulled the transmission it seems better for a few weeks, then back to jumpy and rattling. I love my car, it's my first new car I've ever had. Leave it to me to pick a lemon by the way, I'm going to take a trip and going to go up a large grad. Can anyone explain to me how to get the car more power for going up grade? I've read my manual 10 times, but I don't have overdrive cancel, so I assume I need to put it in "S" mode, but then what? Help please.