Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Ford Focus Transmission Problems

13637383941

Comments

  • i DONT KNOW WHO THE BIGGER JOKE IS HERE, nhtsa OF FORD,,,,,,,, tell eveyone what your going through with the runaround FORD reps, they really suck
  • When car engin & drive train is at summer temperature and you start off in 1st gear the car will lop 3 or 4 times before going into 2nd gear. This makes city driving dangerous. The car is under factory warranty. The mechanic drove the car & said nothing was wrong. What should I do now?
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Find another dealer who's more helpful. At least demand they flash your PCM / TCM with the latest software. DCT shudder is not normal and can be fixed (speaking from experience).
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    "So in reality every purchaser of these horrid little junkers HAVE NO WARRANTY. "

    That's not been my experience. I've been in several times for warranty work and my Ford dealer has been very responsive every time. Most bugs are worked out now. Front suspension still feels a little loose for my taste - new strut mounts currently on order. But could also be the tires.

    If your dealer keeps giving you the "it's normal" routine, go to another dealer. That's the nice thing about Ford / GM - there are dealerships everywhere.
  • I'm new to this site. My 2003 ZTS is having over drive issues discussed in this forum. I want to read the advice in post 76 and 110 but can't figure out find the post number to get there. I must be missing obvious. Help me?

  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,694

    @aimeefereber said: I'm new to this site. My 2003 ZTS is having over drive issues discussed in this forum. I want to read the advice in post 76 and 110 but can't figure out find the post number to get there. I must be missing obvious. Help me?

    Should be this one from member aokrongly

    http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4060675/#Comment_4060675

  • I have a 2012 Focus SE with just over 22000 miles. I have lived with the minor glitches and quirks of this transmission, however the transmission recently gave out on the interstate. The vehicle started jerking and the "transmission failure" warning came up on the display. I managed to crawl off the interstate and to a gas station, but that was as far as she would go. Once she was parked, the transmission would not engage. It has been at the dealership for 2 days now and they are still investigating the issue. The response on their part does not instill me with confidence. If they do not make this right, I will never purchase another Ford.

  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810

    @tonyeh2116 said: I have a 2012 Focus SE with just over 22000 miles. I have lived with the minor glitches and quirks of this transmission, however the transmission recently gave out on the interstate. The vehicle started jerking and the "transmission failure" warning came up on the display. I managed to crawl off the interstate and to a gas station, but that was as far as she would go. Once she was parked, the transmission would not engage. It has been at the dealership for 2 days now and they are still investigating the issue. The response on their part does not instill me with confidence. If they do not make this right, I will never purchase another Ford.

    Maybe I just come from a lucky family. Going all the way back as far as I can remember, father, grandfather, uncles, etc. I can recall only two cars we had with transmission issues, and both were 1965 Impalas that my Dad and Grandfather bought at the same time.

    So most any tranny issue seems like "that shouldn't happen" to me, and at only 22,000 miles to basically have a failure, seems way out of line. Hopefully they can make things right for you. The tranny was built by Getrag Ford Transmissions, which is a joint partnership with Getrag, and I've seen a number of reviews of the third generation Focus that point out tranny issues.

    PFFlyer@Edmunds

    Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

  • I too had the Focus transmission curse. Bought my 05 with 117K. Within 2k miles, no second, no fourth, OD light blinking, and check engine light on. Scanned, got P0767. Changed filter, and then all 6 solenoids. No good. Removed the adjuster bolt for the 2/4 band, probed hole with 1/4" x5" bolt. Found band 1/2" below where it should be. Pulled end cover without removing trans completely from car.( just lowered drivers side) Band was broken. Removed pieces, installed new band ( about $20.00) silicone sealed end cover and it works great now!!!!!!! Changing band took about two hours, and jack stands, a floor jack, and regular hand tools.

  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810

    @mrfixit731 said: I too had the Focus transmission curse. Bought my 05 with 117K. Within 2k miles, no second, no fourth, OD light blinking, and check engine light on. Scanned, got P0767. Changed filter, and then all 6 solenoids. No good. Removed the adjuster bolt for the 2/4 band, probed hole with 1/4" x5" bolt. Found band 1/2" below where it should be. Pulled end cover without removing trans completely from car.( just lowered drivers side) Band was broken. Removed pieces, installed new band ( about $20.00) silicone sealed end cover and it works great now!!!!!!! Changing band took about two hours, and jack stands, a floor jack, and regular hand tools.

    Always nice to hear about folks who are able to work on their own vehicles. Not as much of that around as there used to be ;)

    PFFlyer@Edmunds

    Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

  • quickflashquickflash Posts: 2

    @PFFlyer@Edmunds said: Always nice to hear about folks who are able to work on their own vehicles. Not as much of that around as there used to be ;)

  • quickflashquickflash Posts: 2

    I have 2005 Focus 2 liter with 126,000 was stopped at a light and when I went to take off transmission would not engage. Transmission slips and has no drive in forward or reverse gear. Making noise no engine light, and no codes using ez-scan 6000. Fluid looks dark and has burnt odor. Will drop pan this weekend for visual. Has anyone else had this issue seems to be catastrophic not a selinod :( -

  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,694

    Does your scanner access the TCM codes at all?

  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810

    The fluid doesn't sound like a good sign, but keep us posted as things progress. Mr Shift and the owners and techs that hang around the forums are always helpful!

    PFFlyer@Edmunds

    Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

  • sabalsamsabalsam Posts: 1

    I just took delivery of my second Focus Titanium. My first was a 2012. I love the car as much as I did the first! While the first did have a transmission problem with my 2012, a knowledgable dealer diagnosed the problem on the first go round. The problem turned out to be a leaking seal which fouled the clutches. Once the seal and clutches were replaced under warranty the car ran flawlessly!

    I do miss a couple of really neat options that Ford has done away with, the automatic rear view mirror, rain sensing wipers and the integrated garage door opener, but none were deal breakers.

    The nicest thing today was to head to the gas station and fill the tank for less than $30 thanks to E85. This is new to me as my last one was produced prior to the flex fuel engines being available.

    All in all I love the car, and hope that it lasts as long as the other Ford products I have owned.

  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810

    @sabalsam said:

    All in all I love the car, and hope that it lasts as long as the other Ford products I have owned.

    Good to hear it all worked out for you! And welcome to the forums. Always nice to see new faces. If you have any questions about the forums or Edmunds in general, don't hesitate to ask!

    PFFlyer@Edmunds

    Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

  • tasha79tasha79 Posts: 3

    can then get it into reverse very easy.

    Remember there is no syncro on reverse.

  • tasha79tasha79 Posts: 3

    Please help???!!!!! I have an '03 ford focus automatic transmission seems to be stuck in second gear when it should upshift as i increase speed automatically but doesnt ! The rpms rev real high and sound like they are maxed right out!! As i press the gas there is no relief in the sound and the car sounds like its going to explode!! Im not well educated in this department but would really like to know if i have to replace the tranny or if it could be something minor?? Solenoid Im hoping???

  • tasha79tasha79 Posts: 3

    I am just hoping this might be a common issue with the make and model before i go getting ripped off and lied to by another shystie mechanic who gets off on making the big bucks off of girls who dont know [non-permissible content removed] about fixing cars!!!

  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810

    Could be a solenoid or something with a computer (I'm no tranny expert by any means), but obviously there's an issue you want to deal with before any damage is done. Don't see any way to avoid taking it to a mechanic, since trannies are generally not DIY jobs.

    PFFlyer@Edmunds

    Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Sign In or Register to comment.