Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• hughihughi Posts: 3
    My 01 Ford Focus with 94000miles has until now been totally problem free but recently it has started to loose power to the lights, heater, wipers etc....
    I've been scrawling through loads of the answers & suggestions to the problem on here but have yet to find one that was a CONFIRMED repairer of the problem!!!
    The battery is perfect, fuses are good, earths are fine & even after the car recently got laid up for over 3wks in an airport carpark, it still started first time so am presuming alternator has to be charging the battery sufficiently!!!
    Any help or advice that HAS succeeded to date would be much appreciated????
  • oldfordmecholdfordmech Posts: 124
    Sounds like your problem is in your IGN SWITCH or loose,or burned wiring at ign sw plug-in. This switch is located on the top side of your steering column, under dash. Remove lower panel, below steering column. you will find 4 nuts holding S.C.
    to dash, lower down column, the ign sw wiring is held to the sw w/an 8mm bolt. the sw is mounted to yhe column w/2 10 or 11mm nuts. Lift switch up and pay attention to where the rod from the key goes into sw. Your problem is most likely the switch.

Good Luck;
    Cliff
    Hiya Cliff.....as am new to this site, I just wanted to double check with you that your post #338 was in fact meant for me & my focus post #337, better safe than sorry before I start to examine the ignition switch.
    Much appreciated, Hugh.
    I received your e-mail, and YES the IGN repair was ment for you on your post #337
    Cliff
  • wspriggswspriggs Posts: 1
    Headlights work like normal DRL , However a ford focus does not have these!! The car was hit in the front end and drivers airbag deployed, I replaced bag and had module reset. There were no elec. damage to this car! I know this car was a rental car prior to purchase could they have installed DRL??? I checked the relays under the hood theychange nothing! The last ansewer was to check the stalk switch! What is a stalk switch??? Or a possiblepinched wire in the column!! None of these conditons fixed it!!
  • muttbunchmuttbunch Posts: 1
    Hey All:

Recently I replaced my altenator/battery to discover the original alt was fine. Lights began flickering, instrument panel, headlights, etc. So I did some digging around the altenator area and determined same as described earlier, corroded red wire off the pig tail.

Here's the kicker, I replaced the pigtail, not trimming the wires, just leaving them as is, hooked them up one-by-one to the corresponding wires matched on pins 1, 2 and 3. It solved the flickering, however, now, the lights surge, or pulsate rather and it's quite annoying. I took it to the dealership and they cannot seem to figure out what it is.

Basically, at idle, even driving at a steady RPM, you can see the all of the lights, instrument, headlights and all, kind of pulsate like a heartbeat. Dim/Bright/Dim/Bright. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Check battery voltage at the battery, with a digital volt meter, if it go up & down at stesdy eng speed, I would say to reinstall you old alt and retry.
  • kaben55kaben55 Posts: 1
    Did anyone ever resolve this problem? I am having the exact same issue with my 2000 focus. Everything works except for dash, licesne plate, parking, and buzzer. Also the fog lights will not work in the parking light setting on switch. I switched the relays and all fuses I could find associated. I swapped out the switch with a used one, but still has same symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • bgobronbgobron Posts: 1
    Dear Piglover,

I am having the problem that you had i.e. the trunk on my station wagon opens when I start the car and press the brake. It first occurred last Friday night; then went away later that night. I had a Ford dealer look at it Saturday and they could not find a problem.
    Today, Sunday, it has reoccurred. How did you get the problem resolved?

Sincerely,

weg
  • I too had my clutch replaced and shortly thereafter began having issue with my electrical on my 2000 Ford Focus SE The dash board gauges go all sorts of crazy and the lights flicker and eventually go out . However I can get them to return for 10-15 seconds if I flick the high beams and/or the turn signal. Additionally when I brake I'm able to get back the dash lights and the gauges; they then will return to their appropriate places for the same amount of time. Upon turning off the car I'm garaunteed to just get clicking noises and dancing gauges on my next attempt to start my car radio and the clock also have these same issues. Please send back any info. your Ford dealer provided to you so i can share it with my mechanic. ">Anyone else care to respond?
    edited July 2010
    I would first look for a ground wire not reinstalled after clutch was repl. or a loose or dirty ground. Make sure your battery cables are CLEAN & TIGHT, on BOTH ends of cable. It sounds like your gauges and dash lights are trying to ground through your other lights when you flick your switch. You may also have a bad inst.cluster, but I would have ALL grounds checked FIRST.

Cliff
  • I have a 2000 focus and when I either speed up or slow down, the radio will shut off and come back on and lights flicker and the transmission seems to skip for a second or two and then drives fine. Does it every time now. Someone mentioned it might be a ground problem. Any help would be appreciated.
  • We did replace the battery a month ago because the car died while in the parking lot. Starts every time now. Also had the alternator rebuilt a couple of years ago.
    Three seperate garages told me that they tested my alternator, they said it definitely needed replacing & was the cause of all the electrical issues!!!
    I went to a breakers yard looking for a 2nd hand alternator & was told by the manager to bring the car to a mate of his......it took him 1hr & he charged me 45euros. He simply replaced the wiring into the alternator, the three smaller wires inside the one larger cable had partially corroded inside without any visible signs on the outside of the wire casing. The car's electrics are ALL now back running perfectly & I saved a small fortune not having to replace a perfectly good alternator. Hope this helps.
  • I have been looking for a bad ground and while the car was running, I put my hand on the positive battery terminal and it was pretty hot. Does anyone know what the problem might be? The car radio and engine seems to shut off for a second and comes back on when I slow down to make a turn. Also noticed that when I turn the head lights on, the radio whould shut off and come back on. Any help is appreciated.
    James
    Heat is caused by resistance. Your pos cable could be loose or dirty at either end of cable. Your cable could have broken wires or the ends of cable may not be crimped tightly.
    Also, if you have to replace the cables, be SURE the wire is a good heavy gauge.
  • godleyegodleye Posts: 2
    Driving home the other day my radio quit. I thought the chan had died so i went to change it and the lcd readout said low battery. At the same time i noticed that my Speedometer/fuel gauge/ and heat gauge were all off and on 0. Also no lights worked or blinkers. I took it to a local auto zone and they said it was the battery. I replaced the battery but today i am having the same issue. After the car is turned off it will not immediately crank back up, but If i leave it sitting for 10 to 15 minutes it fires up fine and will run another 20 mins or so before it happens again. During this whole time the car still drives but i have no electrical components that will work. Auto Zone tested the alternator and said it was fine but i have no idea what it could be at this point. Help me please.
  • mklndmklnd Posts: 1
    My daughter has an 06 Ford Focus and just experienced exactly the same problem. Have you found out anything?
  • My 2006 Ford Focus has been a great car but the battery light came on suddenly as I was getting ready to park a week or two ago. It went off but I cleaned the cables anyway. This morning the radio, lights, and air conditioner went off but car was still running. Low battery light came on so I drove to auto repair store (Auto Zone). They said the battery was good but they are charging it and said it is probably the alternator. Had this problem with an older Ford Tempo several years ago and it was the fan belt. It would come loose or wear out and the battery was not getting enough power. I changed the alternator once when all I needed to do was change the fan belt. Has anyone else had this problem with this model? Would appreaciate feedback.