Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• atodd93atodd93 Posts: 1
    Have you checked to see if the external fan is turning on as soon as it warms up? It may be a sensor on the radiator or wiring?
  • I recently had an accident and had to replace my driver side headlight assembly with a new aftermarket assembly that came with bulbs. After connecting it, I noticed that both my front parking light and tail light do not work on this side of the car. The brake light and turn signal do work, however, both front and rear. Is this a bulb issue, or do I have a bigger wiring problem?
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,700
    I would say that you've either blown a fuse or that maybe this aftermarket bulb has excessive resistance. Did the new headlight come with its own plug-in connector or are you using only the original car's wiring and connectors? If you have an aftermarket connector it could be wired wrong.
  • bens_soundbens_sound Posts: 4
    edited March 2012
    You were correct. It was as simple as a blown fuse. Next time I will read the manual.
    Well keep an eye on it. Sometimes aftermarket bulbs can be troublesome, depending on who makes them. (quality control and all that). Glad you figured it out!
  • I have a recently wrecked '05 focus zx5. While putting it back together, I noticed that part of the air intake had come loose. I re attached it and tightened the hose clamp. Since then, the check engine light has been coming on. The code says "system too lean". I have run a tank of premium fuel, and put a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment in, but when I clear the code, the light comes back on in just a few miles. Any thoughts?
    I wonder if you dislodged a vacuum line somewhere?
  • I will check. Things are so tight in there, and I know just enough to get myself in trouble!
    Well I was thinking that if there was no engine light before you messed with the air intake and now there is, that a loose vacuum line would do that.
  • benb3benb3 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ford Focus. Both of my low-beam headlights are non-functioning. My hi-beams are fine. The focus bulbs incorporate both hi- and low-beams in the same bulb. I have swapped out both bulbs, the 20A low-beam fuse, both 10A (l & r) low-beam fuses, the 7A fuse, and the low-beam relay. None of these steps has resolved the problem. Anyone have any further suggestions? :(
    Well that pretty much leaves the multi-function switch on the steering column I guess....or some bad wiring/loose connector somewhere.
  • my girlfriend has a 2001 ford focus wagon SE 2.0L we were having troubles with keeping the battery charged so we went to canadian tire and got it tested. Failed. We bought a new one now were having the same problem i think its the alternator. the symptoms are we will be driving and the lights will go off and the check engine light will come on also the airbag light.
    then the car will putt and sputter then die, then the ticking and it wont start again. massive loss of power.
    what should i do???
    i checked the wires on the back of the alternator they seemed fine, ill check again in the morning.
    the big red wire that's connected to the battery was loose and frayed so i cut it and hooked it up better. i gave the car a boost and same thing. lights, dash, and dummy gauges will flip all the way up then back to 0.

please help we don't have much money and replacing the alternator 5,6,7 times will kill us like the story's Ive been reading about.

also there's a humming sound my girlfriend says "It sounds like a RC car accelerating" it sounds like its coming from the passenger side under the hood, sometimes you can hear it threw the stereo.
  • I posted on this thread some time back, had the same issue with my 2003 Ford Focus. But if my car was in the middle of flashing dash lights on and off and I turned the car off, it never turned back on. So, I traveled with jumper cables and when it was in the middle of this chaos, I just drove it until it stopped (because once it started didn't mean it wouldn't stop at some point), especially if I didn't want to be stranded somewhere. We replaced batteries, alternators, had the post factory alarm system removed, changed the ignition...no avail. Even Ford Mechanics could not figure it out. Finally, a mechanic found that there was a "ground" loose and created a new ground for it. Initially, that seemed like the fix, we went a good 4 months without issues, however, at some point, the issue came back. We drove this car for 3 years with this issue, never was able to fix it. We called her Christine and just dealt with it until we were in a place to buy a new car. I was so happy when we sold that car!
  • That's funny, Christine is my girlfriend...
    we just took out the alternator and it was extremely loose like the brushes were done, we didnt have time to put the new one in tonight but it should be a hour or so to put everything back in place hopefully she starts! and runs properly! also i think i have to do the aliment on the rear end. when im on the high way and hit a pot hole it the rear end swerves all over the place. i changed a lower control arm ( dog bone) and the sway bar linkage kit.
    i didnt know it was a 4 wheel alignment. does anyone know if that is the problem or is it a sway bar problem?
  • it worked! car runs awesome!! battery is charging perfectly, and even more power at the wheel it seems! the humming sound is gone! must of been the old alt.
    it was a BIT*H getting out. took off the motor mount, moved the motor ( took 4 guys to pull it over far enough to take it out and put a new one in. i would defiantly hate to do that again.
  • gigi87gigi87 Posts: 1
    Okay so I drive a 2002 Focus Wagon
    the problem started a month ago with the back lights and dash lights stopped working
    but the brake lights and turn signals were fine
    Checked the fuse; everything looked good
    Then we took out the back lights and just kinda wiggled the wires and they came back on
    ..So then i drove over a bump and they were off again
    ..then the rear turn signal stopped working
    and now when i brake the left back light doesnt turn on at all

Could it be a fuse or a bulb or wiring??
    WHAT COULD IT BE?? HELP!!

OH and today I found the F30 fuse burnt...
  • bueybuey Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Focus 1999 1.6 zetec, When you turn on my lights the Drivers side indicators stay on! But if the lights are off!! the indicators work fine, could someone please tell me how to fix this?
  • Remove L side parking light bulbs, front & rear. Then turn on your lights and see if your indicator light is still on. If not, you have a shorted out bulb.

If it is still on you have a wiring problem. Good luck.
  • The brake warning panel in the trunk lid of my 2006 sedan has a couple of burned out bulbs. How do I remove the light panel from inside the trunk, so I can get access to replace the bulbs?
  • On the sedan, it looks like you just remove the trunk lid inner panel and expose the bulb sockets. The 3 or 5 door has screws for the lens to remove the bulbs from outside the car, but I guess the sedan doesn't.