Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• SAME EXACT problem I'm having. Haven't gone to the dealer yet. My focus is a 2000.....warranty is LONG gone. Wonder if this is a recall if so many new owners are experiencing it...

My car drives perfectly during and after the crazy dials and lights flicker and peg. Used to be triggered after I hit the O/D off button on the gear. Now it's happening anytime.

ANyone no what I should tell the dealer when I take it in?
  • jdlhjdlh Posts: 2
    Hi, Can anyone help?

I've recently bought a focus zetec. Seemed ok for a few months in summer, but since change in temperature, I've noticed some odd things.
    1) When I press the brake pedal, the dash lights and main beam all dim slightly, and occasionally flicker, but only slightly.
    2)Twice now, my drivers window has not worked (foot on brake pedal at times, not sure if relevant). After a few seconds, hey presto, it works again.
    3)when I press down on wiper lever, the single sweep stops part way over and needs the lever to be constantly pressed in order to get it back into position. I tried pushing the lever in towards the steering column as there appears a small gap (couple of milimeters) between the top part of the level and the steering column connection.

I've heard that Focus' have a lot of electrical problems, and I'm beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for!!

Any ideas???

Mark
  • Try starting the car within 15 seconds after you unlock the driver's door with the key fob remote. My girlfriend has a 2000 Focus & it is in the shop right now getting an alternator b/c her battery light keeps coming on. I put a new battery in it this past weekend & the light still comes on. We are driving close to 800 miles in 2 days this coming weekend & we don't want to get stuck on the mountains of WVa, so we are getting the car serviced now. Try the key fob trick, that is what we have to do to start her car.
  • vegas8vegas8 Posts: 3
    im having trouble with my 2001 ford focus HELP !!!! just last week this problem started my sister was using my car when she drop of my brother to school it literally turn off on her. She got jumper cables and and the car was fine.. the car started working fine but until next day i went to work everything was fine got home then i was going to use my car again and it didn't turn on my brother gave me jumper cable's i ran the car and it was fine AGAIN !!! then the next day i went out and the car light's started to dim well i pull over and thankfully i got to a parking space and the car turn off..... my brother AGAIN gave me jumper cables i would drive stop and the car will turn off then again and again until i got home.... My brother says is the battery but others say is the alternator CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME !!!! my car has been sitting for a couple of days now.
  • I just had the "power control module" replaced on my 2000 ford focus. My car would not start and couldn't be jumped. The repair guy said it was the power control module and when replaced the car seems to run fine, at least as fine as a 2000 ford focus can run. Hope this helps.
  • sky336sky336 Posts: 9
    After 8 alternators on my 2002 acting the same way as yours is. the kicker is mine is acting crazy again. I am going down road & battery light comes on & then when at light it starts trying to cut off i would say alternator & battery is your problem because i have had 5 batteries with my alternator. the alternator kills the batteries.
  • pidelpidel Posts: 2
    My Husband bought me a 2006 Ford focus ZX3! I used to love my car, but it has been in the shop 5 times sense September of 2006, and started after the 2nd day He bought it
    Water bottle was leaking into Floorboard
    Transmissin
    Steering belt
    Alternator
    Radio
    Electrical With lights,rear hatch back latch
    Idle pully
    All due to faulty parts the dealer said!
    I just put it back in today due Vibration on right turns. they said it looks like the CV joint on the transmission end.
    I have a whole stack of work orders on the car! I will be trading it in as soon as warranty is up!!!!
  • I have had the unique experience in the last two days to have my 2003 ford focus almost need a tow due to no start, then see a ford focus being worked on where I rented a car that was experiencing this clicking relay noise.

I remembered a mechanic had showed me that disconnecting the positive lead will reset the computer and turn off warning lights..so I recommended to the guy working on the clicking noise to try disconnecting the positive lead. He did that and when reconnected the relay reset itself and NO PROBLEM anymore.

So...now I go back to my car to call the tow truck for my no start issue and before the guy tows my car away I ask him to disconnect the lead so my computer is reset before going into service. (why is a longer story). Anyhow boom. He disconnects the positive lead, resets the computer...and the car starts repeatedly without a problem.

Sounds wierd...but try it.
  • Yes, speaking of frustration..a guy in consumer reports said it best. THe focus is one of the most fun, repsonsive car you can drive in its class...if you have the time to get it repaired. I am on my second focus and seen the repair shop many times. But I did buy a second one. Probably the last.
  • Mine is going to shop again today. Ford should do something for all of us trapped into these junk cars. I am so pissed. I just pray because Ford says these are wonderful cars & they have not had alot of trouble & complaints from customers. I am the 1st one that they have heard this junk from. This mess has caused many probs in my home. Ford needs to be held accountable for all the pain & stress we all have gone thru over these piece of craps. Totally fed up with Ford here. What can we do as a group?
  • jdlhjdlh Posts: 2
    Hi,

Following my last message, regarding the lights, I've noticed that they also flicker both on the dash and outside when I brake at low speed, and when the revs drop and the engine goes to idle. Could it be anything to do with the alternator? Also The switch to the power window is still drawing a lot of current. Could the window motor have stalled?

Several people have suggested an earth, but I've only been able to access a few, which showed some corrosion.Cleaning them made no difference. Does anyone have any ideas about which earth to check, and where it is? Could it be the alternator output? The ECU?

I've decide to pay a car electrician to come and have a look (£40 call out, which includes first hour).

Reading and earlier thread, I noticed this:

Under the 'Limitation Act' of 1980 you have up to 6 years to claim for manufacturing defect.Send a letter to :

Executive Department
    Ford Motor Co.
    Eagle Way
    Warley
    Brentwood
    Essex
    CM13 3BY

Has anyone had any success with this? Unfortunately I bought the car second hand from a garage, and as luck would have it, the warranty has expired. Does anyone know if there is a way to try and get them to cover the cost (I can hear the laughter as I suggest this!)?

aaaaargh!
  • Hello All,
    I am having problems with my 03 SVT. Something keeps draining my battery on occasion and it is not any aftermarket parts. If I pull R24 - Battery Saver Relay it seems to kill the drain or if I pull fuse 36 - A/C switch / Hazard flasher / Instrument Cluster it kills the drainage as well. But if I keep it unplugged I have no guage information.

It is very sporatic so it is hard to determine what exactly is causing the problem.

Whatever it will stick and in about 14 hrs time (no driving) the battery will be dead (after work/morning)

What do you suggest?

THANKS!
  • i own a ford focus 1.8 tdci sport 2003 drivin home today (luckly only about 2 mile) i noticed my head lights suddenly dimmed then came back thought nothin of it till i realised all my windscreen wipers (Front & Rear) started going at a really slow speed but front were only set to intermittent then i noticed front lights had gone out got home got out the car bashed the lights usually a proven quick fix but nothin so thought id turn off the car and start again turned the key took it out but car didnt feel like stoppin and just carried on running. so then i purposely stalled the car turned everythin off locked it opened it and tryed to start it again no go so locked it (all using the key fob) and left it for ten mins to get changed after work went back out now wont unlock any ideas anyone please ????
  • What a bunch of winers about the Ford Focus. I have owned three Ford Focus ZX5s, two 2002 and one 2003, for some time and driven all over with them. One, a trip to Florida and back. I think they are one of the most reliable and best cars made. They are fairly simple cars and there is almost nothing that goes wrong with them. The only thing you read about here is people with problems. Try buying a SAAB 9-3 and then you will really have problems. Stop wining about one of the best cars on the road.
  • I'll trade you my 2000 ford focus. Drive that for awhile and tell me how reliable they are. Funny that a car company that produces so many "of the most reliable and best cars made" is in so much trouble with declining market share and losing so much money.
  • Kind of interesting..I agree with everyone on both sides. There are good luck stories and not so good luck stories. After posting my problem, and solution on this board and mentioning continuing small problems with my old focus(s) YES...I just bought another one. Problems and all the focus zx3 to me has one of the best designed cockpits and instrument layout of any car I have driven, so I bought one of the last model year 2007 brand new since they are not making them anymore.
    But try just opening a door on the new focus. The handle is hinged on plast and everyone I checked out also wiggled loosely when opening the door. The old focuses dont do that they are solid. Seems ford is giving up a little accessory quality in the new design. Still..I love driving my zx3, when its not in the shop.

db
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Ford sold 195,462 vehicles in the US in October. Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo and Landrover.

Toyota/Lexus sold 197,592. That is a difference of 2%.

Yet if you read the BS put out by the automotive press, Ford is a day away from going out of business and Toyota is a day away from ruling the world.

The victor is the current automotive market is the consumer. Not since before the great depression did one have so may different automotive purchase options.

Don't worry too much about Ford. At least until Toyota figures out how to make a tru F series beater. As good as the Tundra may be, an F series beater it is not.

Mark.
  • Hello,
    I would appreciate any advice how to fix my problem. I have Ford Focus SE 2000 (no fog lights). A couple of days ago the parking lamps and instrument cluster lighting went out suddenly when I pressed remote luggage compartment release button. Side lights (left, right), brake lamps, back-up lamps, and hazard flasher are working fine. When I press brake pedal, the instrument cluster lights up normally.

First, I changed brake lamps because I thought they burned down. It happened before. Then I checked fuses - they looked fine. Then I replaced headlight switch, but it didn't help. I bought a used one. Maybe I need to get a new switch.

Thank you for your recommendations,
    Dmitri
  • I have the same exact electrical problems as you.ve stated. Same exact.! : I am still trying to fix it myself cause im not paying for it . I cleaned all the engine ground wiring that is visible under the hood. But had no luck. Next i will clean the ground straps under the car the ones that connect the engine block to the transmission and then to the body. These are major ground connections that are always overlooked. I still havent done this, but hope it does the job. I can only pray. Don't change the alternator unless the dash engine light is on all the time or comes on then goes off. I had this and i changed the alternator. and now everything is o.k except all the lights flickering and the windows draw alot of power. Do have your charging systems checked though, just in case. (12 volts engine off---13 to 14 volts with engine on and all accessories turned on) If you have any luck please inform me pleeeeeessssssseeeeee. thanks
  • Experts only need reply. I have electrical problems. All accessory lights as well as headlights are flickering only when engine is on. I just put in a new battery and alternator. The battery connections are cleaned as well as (5 eyelet) grounds under the hood.(please note) The problem still occured even before the battery and alternator change. _ I have yet to clean the ground straps under the car. I need to know what causes this????
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,615
    I'd say bad ground #1, then put a volt meter on the battery when the engine is running and check for variations in current, (do your headlights flicker, if NO, then try===>)if none then I'd say there must be a voltage regulator for the instrument pagel board that is going crazy.

• cdub2cdub2 Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 focus ses. I've had it for a year, and recently when the lights are on and you use the turn signals they go crazy fast. i checked and changed fuses problem is still there. Also when you hit the brakes the reverse lights come on and the driver side brake light dims. I have changed all the bulbs in the taillights. Any suggestions
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,615
    Oh, I'd guess low voltage coming out of your stalk switch for the directionals or a short in that switch or the harness that goes to it. I believe your brake light switch runs through your directional switch, but I'd have to see a wiring diagram for your car to be sure about that. If it does run through it, then it all makes sense. If it doesn't then I might check behind the fuse block for signs of a short.

• I have a 2001 ford focus, 5 speed, 4 door. I have replaced the alternator three times in the past three months. Everything will work fine for awhile but then the first thing to start cutting out is the radio, then all the gauges will start jumping, then the lights will flicker on and off at night if I turn them on. We have cleaned and checked every ground wire in the engine of the car. I've also taken the car into the ford shop and no one there can figure it either. All they do is continue replacing the alternator. If anyone has experienced these kind of problems. I would LOVE to know what the solution is.
    Thank you!
  • cdub2cdub2 Posts: 2
    Thanks I will take a look and see what I find.
  • I recently purchased a 2000 Ford Focus wagon that has 18 inch sport wheels with little narrow low profile tires. I assume these wheels and tires are not stock items although I have been told they are worth a few bucks. I need to put stock wheels and tires back on the vehicle as these sporty jobs make driving over ANY bump a bone-jarring experience. I recently hit a bad bump on a local road and thought the wheel was going to come off! I believe this caused enough damage to make a wheel bearing go out, as one did this weekend.

The metal tag on the door with the vehicle info has no tire specs on it (???). Can anyone tell me where I might find those specs? The manual just says look on the door!! The Ford web site was useless.

Thanks,

Rick
  • My ZX3 '00 experienced the tail lights going out in addition to the instrument cluster. Paid about $75 to get it fixed, after going to two different Ford dealerships. The first dealer simply replaced the fuse, which I told them I had already done. Months later I noticed a recall on that very problem while looking at the NHTSA website where they list recalls. The dealer gave me a line that the problem wasn't with Focuses where mine was built. Hope that is the only problem with yours. My list is long.
    mlgard
  • Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes I have had a list of problems that seem to be common to this car.

Do you know what they repaired and charged you $75 for? What was the recall for and what was the solution.

I've checked th fuses as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
    Steve
  • Stock tires for focus are; 195/60-15 & 185/65-14 You got a 50 50 chance.
    You can call the Ford parts Dept and give them the last 8 digits of your vin # and ask them for 4 rims and ask them the size, 14 or 15. When they tell you hang up and buy them somewhere else. Good luck
  • Read your post. I ran into a focus that was going through alternators. It wasn't a ground, it was the B terminal wire to the battery. Thats the big fat wire from the back of your alternator going to the battery. Testing showed it had a good conection, but wiggling the wire showed it had a bad connection. Good luck.