Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• I am in process of trading in my 2000 focus for a new one... my fuel pump was recalled - i had already replaced it so i got my deductible back. since i started with a different mechanic (because i moved) every time he touches one thing another goes out - so i am towing it to ford and starting over - probably i will pay the extra with this one when warranty is up and stick with ford mechanics cause atleast they know the car... does anyone have opinions on the 2007s.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Its only 2 months away.

Synch will be standard on the SES and part of the SE upgrade packge.

Mark.
  • Ok so I've got a 2001 focus SE, and I had just got it all working fine. Then one day while I was leaving work me and my friend got in and started to drive home. Everything seemed fine until I tried to put down the windows, and they didnt go down. I decided I would turn the car off and start it again and see if that made any difference. Well, when I turned the car off and turned it back on, it started fine only now I couldnt shift it into gear! After a while of pondering what to do, I found (by random chance) that if the key was turned off, the windows mysteriously worked again and the car shifted, and the air worked as well. This was really weird, and obviously everytime I left my ca somewere I needed to unhook my battery so it didnt drain it. Then suddenly the car wouldnt even shift when the key was off, and when I attached the battery again the guages all started to flip back and forth and I got an annoying beeping sound I had never heard before. I have no idea what could have happened, the only thing that happened while I was at work was that it rained, but I also checked my fuses and none were burnt. My breaklights work but my taillights do not, my headlights still work, my radio still works. I am at a loss of what to do, now when I need to use my car I have to manually change gears before I start the car and after reattachingthe battery which is very annoying. Can anybody help ME???
  • I figured it out, in case anyone has similar problems. After a 2 day search of wires and connections I found the problem was just a simple corroded ignition relay. FIGURES.
  • i own an '02 focus se wagon w/ 2.0 zetec.

My electrical problems kicked in about 3 weeks ago.
    When i accelerate from a stand still or punch the gas when i'm traveling at a slow speed, i hear 4 or 5 steady clicks from the fuse box under the dash, the lights dim along with the clicks, and on some occasion the battery light comes on and/or the gauges peg, then die, then come on again normally !! All this with the car running smooth as butter !

took it to a garage 3 days ago the mechanic changed the coil (which had several rusty cracks in it), telling me that his focus had a cracked coil which caused the gauge spiking. Well, $368.00
    and 3 minutes after leaving the garage with an empty wallet.....click,click,click,click........but NO spiking !

i took it back right away, the mechanic got under the dash and checked the relays........one was hot and the other cool.
    Seeing as both were identical he switched them around. the cool one was for the horn and the one running hot was the "voltage anti-discharge" relay....(direct translation from my French owner's manual)
    It seemed to have worked but next day it was back to clicking and dimming. I'm going back monday to see what they can do.

I've read all of kartdevil's posts....he had the exact same problem
    he went thru 9 alternators !!! before trading in for a new Focus.

i haven't check the battery terminals. Mechanic said the alt is charging fine.

Seems like more than a few people have this irritating problem.

If anyone has any light to shed here or has actually fixed the problem (permanently) PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASE post :cry:
  • ttaittai Posts: 114
    lol, you have the dreaded battery cable problem.
    It will cost $800 to replace the faulty cables and
    whatever else Ford wants to replace. Just limp the
    car to your dealer. He'll know exactly what to do with it.
    In about 2 years, you'll have to replace them again.
    Sell your car now while you still can. More repairs will
    come soon.
  • thanx for the help ttai. you've saved me a few trips. to the garage......it's well appreciated. :)
    At least i know exactly what to tell the mechanic to look at.....hopefully it doesn't come with an $800 price tag.

i just got the car in April !! i'm gonna tough it out a little bit longer (hope it's the right decision)

how long did this problem take to find on your focus?
    did you put in unnecessary parts (like i probably did) ??
  • I am unfortunate enough to have a 2000 ford focus. After driving home from work the car sat for 20 minutes then would not start. No clicking noise, just a humming noise. Later that day I noticed that the power door locks also won't work. When I hit the fob to lock the doors I get the same humming noise as when I try to start the car. Is it a relay, fuse or high power fuse? All I want to do is to get it running so I can trade it on a Toyota, which is what I should have bought to begin with.
    This problem was a technical service bulletin. It happened to me the first month I had the car. Then it happened 3 times more. The symptoms were the same. The speedo goes wild and pegs at top speed. Ford refused to pay for the repair after the second time. SELL THE CAR!!!
    I know I had to replace the starter after 70k miles.
    I can't tell for sure what the problem on your car is since
    it sounds bizzare. I did hear the relay on mine.
  • SAME EXACT problem I'm having. Haven't gone to the dealer yet. My focus is a 2000.....warranty is LONG gone. Wonder if this is a recall if so many new owners are experiencing it...

My car drives perfectly during and after the crazy dials and lights flicker and peg. Used to be triggered after I hit the O/D off button on the gear. Now it's happening anytime.

ANyone no what I should tell the dealer when I take it in?
  • jdlhjdlh Posts: 2
    Hi, Can anyone help?

I've recently bought a focus zetec. Seemed ok for a few months in summer, but since change in temperature, I've noticed some odd things.
    1) When I press the brake pedal, the dash lights and main beam all dim slightly, and occasionally flicker, but only slightly.
    2)Twice now, my drivers window has not worked (foot on brake pedal at times, not sure if relevant). After a few seconds, hey presto, it works again.
    3)when I press down on wiper lever, the single sweep stops part way over and needs the lever to be constantly pressed in order to get it back into position. I tried pushing the lever in towards the steering column as there appears a small gap (couple of milimeters) between the top part of the level and the steering column connection.

I've heard that Focus' have a lot of electrical problems, and I'm beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for!!

Any ideas???

Mark
  • Try starting the car within 15 seconds after you unlock the driver's door with the key fob remote. My girlfriend has a 2000 Focus & it is in the shop right now getting an alternator b/c her battery light keeps coming on. I put a new battery in it this past weekend & the light still comes on. We are driving close to 800 miles in 2 days this coming weekend & we don't want to get stuck on the mountains of WVa, so we are getting the car serviced now. Try the key fob trick, that is what we have to do to start her car.
  • vegas8vegas8 Posts: 3
    im having trouble with my 2001 ford focus HELP !!!! just last week this problem started my sister was using my car when she drop of my brother to school it literally turn off on her. She got jumper cables and and the car was fine.. the car started working fine but until next day i went to work everything was fine got home then i was going to use my car again and it didn't turn on my brother gave me jumper cable's i ran the car and it was fine AGAIN !!! then the next day i went out and the car light's started to dim well i pull over and thankfully i got to a parking space and the car turn off..... my brother AGAIN gave me jumper cables i would drive stop and the car will turn off then again and again until i got home.... My brother says is the battery but others say is the alternator CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME !!!! my car has been sitting for a couple of days now.
  • I just had the "power control module" replaced on my 2000 ford focus. My car would not start and couldn't be jumped. The repair guy said it was the power control module and when replaced the car seems to run fine, at least as fine as a 2000 ford focus can run. Hope this helps.
  • sky336sky336 Posts: 9
    After 8 alternators on my 2002 acting the same way as yours is. the kicker is mine is acting crazy again. I am going down road & battery light comes on & then when at light it starts trying to cut off i would say alternator & battery is your problem because i have had 5 batteries with my alternator. the alternator kills the batteries.
  • pidelpidel Posts: 2
    My Husband bought me a 2006 Ford focus ZX3! I used to love my car, but it has been in the shop 5 times sense September of 2006, and started after the 2nd day He bought it
    Water bottle was leaking into Floorboard
    Transmissin
    Steering belt
    Alternator
    Radio
    Electrical With lights,rear hatch back latch
    Idle pully
    All due to faulty parts the dealer said!
    I just put it back in today due Vibration on right turns. they said it looks like the CV joint on the transmission end.
    I have a whole stack of work orders on the car! I will be trading it in as soon as warranty is up!!!!
  • I have had the unique experience in the last two days to have my 2003 ford focus almost need a tow due to no start, then see a ford focus being worked on where I rented a car that was experiencing this clicking relay noise.

I remembered a mechanic had showed me that disconnecting the positive lead will reset the computer and turn off warning lights..so I recommended to the guy working on the clicking noise to try disconnecting the positive lead. He did that and when reconnected the relay reset itself and NO PROBLEM anymore.

So...now I go back to my car to call the tow truck for my no start issue and before the guy tows my car away I ask him to disconnect the lead so my computer is reset before going into service. (why is a longer story). Anyhow boom. He disconnects the positive lead, resets the computer...and the car starts repeatedly without a problem.

Sounds wierd...but try it.
  • Yes, speaking of frustration..a guy in consumer reports said it best. THe focus is one of the most fun, repsonsive car you can drive in its class...if you have the time to get it repaired. I am on my second focus and seen the repair shop many times. But I did buy a second one. Probably the last.
  • Mine is going to shop again today. Ford should do something for all of us trapped into these junk cars. I am so pissed. I just pray because Ford says these are wonderful cars & they have not had alot of trouble & complaints from customers. I am the 1st one that they have heard this junk from. This mess has caused many probs in my home. Ford needs to be held accountable for all the pain & stress we all have gone thru over these piece of craps. Totally fed up with Ford here. What can we do as a group?