Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• dpez19dpez19 Posts: 3
    found out what my problem was. i took the central fuse box out in the glove box and in the back of it is like a large relay type box which unclips. i uncliped it and plugged it back in and things seem to be working again. do u or anyone else know where i can purchase a new one cheap if it goes again?
  • Hi, ive found the problem!! It was the timing module. They are around £30-£35, and are apparently prone to breaking!! Your local Ford dealer should be able to sort you one out. All the probs i had orignally are all now sorted.

I hope this helps you.

All the best

XxX :P
  • john238john238 Posts: 1
    recently my 2003 focus battery died so i went to auto zone and had the alternator tested they said it was bad so i replaced it. after replacing it the battery light was still on so again i went to auto zone and had the new one tested and again it was bad. they gave me a new one and after installing, the battery light was still on so again i had them test it and it to was bad again. they suggested there could be an electrical problem causing the alternators to burn up. I dont understand how an electrical problem would just appear out of nowhere for no apparent reason if thats the problem. i know auto zone is not known for great quality but i cant imagine i received two bad alternators. any ideas?
  • try unhooking the battery cable for atleast 30 seconds, it resets your computer. Then turn on again and see if it doesnt reset your trouble light. I find many trouble lights on ford focus are false alarms.

Then, if the light comes back on or never goes off, it is probably legitimate issue.

This also worked for me on many no start situations where the computer just needed to be reset
  • Most of the problems you describe I have not had... except the parking lights (and instrument cluster).

Where exactly is the ignition relay? Under the dash near the fuses? Or under the hood?

Thanks
  • conanhconanh Posts: 5
    Yes I had this problem it was caused by the battery conections to the post. There was Corrosion in-between the post and the cable connection. The corrosion cannot be seen without taking off the cable connection off the battery post. And when I cleaned the connection I had to put shims because now the connection was too lose and I could not tighen them enuf. But I had not had a problem sence I fixed it.
  • I have a focus 1.6 2000 hatchback and everytime I apply the brakes the front side lights come on......I was informed that if I had changed a brake light, this could be the problem. I have chnged the bulb again and it is still happening. :confuse:
  • focus2005focus2005 Posts: 1
    i find it hard to replace a bulb on my focus 05 hatchback. i thought this is one of those do it yourself thing,unlike in other cars all you have to do is lose some screws and you can pull out the bulb and replace it. can anybody give me an advise. i don't want to spend on a single bulb
  • matsukesmatsukes Posts: 21
    BOY! after reading about all these problems with the Ford Focus it makes me sad I just got a new 08 SES! The car has less then 1000. miles on it and there has been no problems as of yet but I will now try to sell the car just to get rid of it before any of the problems in this forum starts! I paid $16,000 for the car I wonder if I will be able to sell it fast for $5,000?
  • fjm1fjm1 Posts: 137
    SOLD!!!

I'll fly anywhere in the continental U.S. and pick up this excellent vehicle without a moments hesitation in driving it anywhere.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    The forums cannot be used to buy and sell items, so if you want to continue please use email.

I figured the post was a rhetorical question rather than an actual offer for sale myself.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dwhitlockdwhitlock Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm having a similar problem with a 2000 SE wagon. Changing the range sensor (tells the ignition that you're in park) didn't solve it. The dealer and my usual mechanic are stumped (the mechanic is looking into that relay switch you mention.) Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks,
    Dean
  • Whiners?

Do you realize you are in a "focused" (pun) discussion? We are just looking for help and advice about electrical problems with the Ford Focus.

You should understand that you sound like the whiner here. :cry:
  • oldfordmecholdfordmech Posts: 124
    You say your charging about 14 v. You should be charging 14.4 under a load with your blower mtr on Hi and headlights on and your battery charged. Find the rated cap of your battery and have your battery load tested with a carbon pile tester at 3 times the rated cap. the battery should hold 9.6 V. for 15 sec. Batt ground circuit can be load tested w/the same carbon pile tester and should not have more than .05 V. drop. Find someone in your area that knows how to run these tests and you may find your problem. Hope this helps you.
  • Since my original post a year ago, I've had a Ford mechanic friend hook up a computer to the car. He said it was either the GEM module, or a short to the back wiper, or some other short. The GEM was checked and is fine. No short was found. I have yet to check and clean the grounds.

Where do I find a user-friendly diagram of where my grounds are?
  • oldfordmecholdfordmech Posts: 124
    I worked as a ford tech back then and had to replace a few gem modules This unit supplied the grounds for a wide array of acc,s We also had a recall on deck lid wiring to lights in the rear.
  • Does this sound familiar? Any suggestions?
    My lights dim on their own when I'm driving in the dark, my battery light has been going on and off for two years now, it stalls and idles real low when I'm at a stop (always enjoyable during rush hour), I've had 3 alternators, and 3 batteries put in in the 3.5 years that I've had it, it just overheated this past weekend, my dashboard has been clicking away for the past month or so and today, the ABS light flicked on and off. I'm taking it to a Ford dealer on Monday because Firestone has replaced all the electrical on it and can't figure out what's going on. I am tempted to trade it in this weekend instead of pouring more money into it. Would this be a wise move?
    I bought it to save gas money, but I guess the Ranger that I had before would have actually been a better money-saving option in the long run. The Taurus I had before the Ranger was a pile, too. I'm pretty sure I'm done with Ford cars after I unload this gem...
  • Hey girl; I don't recall if the side flash w/the turn signals on that year or not, but if they do, your brake lights go through your turn signal switch first and then out to the correct sides in use. you may have a short in the switch or 1 of your stop light bulbs could be shorted to the tail light side or you could have a pinched wire anywhere in between. Now that your totally confused hope that helps you.
  • This sounds like the issue I have been dealing with the past 6 months. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Thanks

Steve
  • Are you still having the same problems? Make SURE your battery cables are clean & in good shape, if not, replace them first. MakeSURE you have a good ground to the engine & from the engine to the body. If you have a good mechanic he should be able to load test the cables with a carbon pile tester. Test both + and - cables, you should not have over 0.5 volt drop in either side. If he needs to know how to do this, just send me an e-mail.
    Cliff MacCartney
    clifford20@comcast.net