Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Collectibles--Make Your Prediction

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
edited March 5 in Ford
It's a tricky business, but let's give it a try.
Which modern cars do you think will receive the
reverence, care, and big buck price tags from the
next generation of car collectors? What makes your
pick so special?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Comments

• GTRocksGTRocks Posts: 48
    Grand National is on its way I think.

85 Mustangs I think - last year of the carb

Mustang SVO - only turbo mustang

Calloway Corvettes

Supras
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
    Hmmm....interesting list, but I think I'll be in my grave before a japanese car makes the classics list...they just don't seem to have the rarity (they make a LOT of 'em) or the power to really get attached to American culture. Look at the 240Z, as good a candidate as any Japanese car...you can still buy 'em dirt cheap all the day long. Not a good sign.

Calloway would be the only one I could firmly agree on.....if price were the sole determining factor, Grand Nationals are not gaining in popularity or collectibility anymore...a fading star, perhaps temporarilly.

• GTRocksGTRocks Posts: 48
    You might be right about the Japanese cars. I picked the GN because you see some ads on occasion that are still asking a "high" price.

I think of the Mustangs (yeah, I'm biased) because they already have an excellent following. I've been to some shows (Ford) and have seen quite a few of the 85's shown. Little early to be showing them in my taste, but I think that shows the demand, or interest at least.

Every (2) 240Z I've seen in the past 10 years has been beat to hell. I'm not sure they'll survive to make collector's items.

What do you pick?
    Well, let's hear from some other folks and I'll add some as I think of them, okay? Maybe I need my eyes opened a little.

• weslwesl Posts: 53
    Sad to say but I can think of very few cars that will become collectors items later on. Of course you have Morgans and TVRs that are still produced but only time will tell. Of the more popular cars, the rarer the better. R code 93 Cobras, any respected tuner cars like Saleens, Lingenfelters, SLP Pontiacs if they are supported by the factory. The Prowler, Viper, etc. Cars are mass produced in such great numbers as to make them uncollectible. Sure, people may be interested in a 63 Cadillac 4 window sedan but do you see any interest in the Seville 30 years from now? I doubt it. The rule is always open top before closed and special body styles before sedans. Anyone care to discuss future restoration costs of modern cars? For all you guys who invision storing your 93 SC400 or saving that E320 for 40 years down the road can forget it. Anyone hear have a "modern" collectors car stored away? That is all I can think about for now. Later, Wes.
  • Quite a few GNs have been stored. Especially the GNX's. There were also a good deal of the 25th anniversary edition of the Mustang stored. But I think they fell apart anyway. That one has certainly become a flop. They are still asking for a premium for that "sticker" package though.
    I think limited production is a key factor in any possible future "classic" status, but it has to be more than decals.

• SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Old VW Bugs seem to be riding the wave of the NEW BEETLE. Prices for old bugs in good condition are rising. If you have one, sell it NOW.

Old Series Land Rovers

BMW 2002 tti

Any race car with HISTORY

Two words. . .Harley Davidson. Actually appreciates when you ride it off the lot.

So few "specialty" cars are produced now, I can't think of a single car built after 1985 that IMO will gain any great value.

Great thread, lets keep it up.
    Yeah, Sporin, it's usually the rule that a popular new model often brings up the value of the older cars of the same make, especially if it's a spectacular debut (like it or not) such as the new VW.

Harley is an interesting case, although not a car case...the value is strictly based on mythology and marketing, not on engineering merit or quality...kind of like a Morgan I guess, is a comparison that comes to mind.

• Well technically they're trucks, but I think the Land-Rover Defender 90 and (in particular) the Defender 110 will certainly be collectables in the US. Most all of them have appreciated since they were originally purchased. Dealership price for a D-90 was $30,000 (before they were discontinued in the US), now they're sold for over 40,000. Dealer price for the 1 year they sold the 110's was something like $50,000, the last time I saw one for sale it was $150,000.
  • C13C13 Posts: 390
    Funny thing about Harley, isn't it? They're mass-produced, their technology is about as low as you can get, there's a zillion of em on the road, but they have a captive audience of fanatics to whom none of this matters.

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then I guess value is in the wallet of the beholder. There are enough people who want those instant antiques that they are actually worth money. It's like tulip bulbs or beanie babies.
  • I know something (not a lot) about Morgans, a big cheese at work (Dir. of Engineering) has a restored Plus 8 Morgan that he races in some sort of Classic division. He's very competitive (and the Morgans are the class of that field) in his division. I'll look into this further. The Morgan is not really cutting edge stuff, but it does seem to be a good basic design. Just my opinion. Shifty, right again, the doors don't look right on the car above to be a Morgan. What about a Citroen as a collectible, I am really taken by the looks of this French sedan.
  • One has gottabe the Fiat 124... if only because there will be so few left that have not rusted out!
    Can be a nice little car, the 124. Most just fell victim to budget-minded owners and poor service. It would be a great little car if you found (as you say) an unrusted one. Pretty good parts supply, very competent handler, good power, and decent creature comforts. My favorite is the 2.0 liter fuel-injected turbo, but it's not the most durable of the bunch, since some of the parts were outsourced in Spain at that time.

• Now there is a joke of a collectible. Let me say though in defense of the 124 it honestly was one of the cars of my desires when I was a new driver and looking for something a little exotic, cheap, and economical. I ended up with a very nice, at least originally, Chevy Nova Wagon and you should see what I did to that poor car. It's still in my parent's barn awaiting restoration though!
  • A word to the wise: Mile stones in design and or mechanical innovation are usaully the ticket to the "classic" nomenclature. The Grand National, although mechanically interesting, is not stylistically a very important car. Think about how many young guys grew up dreaming about a GN!
    This was a car driven by aging hotrodders who finally had enough money to purchase some juice.
  • Markin-

Frenchies are great but they're were also way too plebeian in this country. Mechanics on these "basic" transportation cars were a nightmare and I'd bet that most of the money you spent restoring these cars wouldn't come close to being recovered at sale. Nice car but not a very good bet.
  • Honestly, I don't have the necessary skills to be restoring cars. But as far as recovering expenses on car restoration, I can't imagine any car as an investment, more like an expense. It's just that some are more expense than others. You should do it because it interests you, (or you need the therapy).
    Good point,markin, as long as you know that going in. Also, I'd like to encourage people to restore cars that are potentially fun to drive and own and not nightmares to repair, so that they don't get discouraged. Some cars are almost unfixable--how frustrating for the first-timer!

The 124 is no joke as a collectible...while I agree they aren't worth much in the U.S. (yet), a nicely restored one in Europe will bring much more than a restored Nova (although the Nova is pretty darn bullet-proof for every day driving). This is because it's a open car, of course, and sporty and fun to drive, which are a few of the characeristics future collectibles ought to have.

• Most modern cars are rendered uncollectable due to electronics and impossible to reproduce die castings.Imagine a 1990 BMW in 2020 with a burnt out computer and a bust cambox .Junkyards here are already filling up with similar modern stuff rendered beyond repair by electronic failures.Cheers from bonnie Scotland.PS go for a 62 eldo or MK2 jag.
  • The much maligned Pontiac Fieros. Not great cars from a mechanical design standpoint, but good looking, in my opinion, fun to drive, and they're getting scarce.

My personal favorite for styling was the first model year, the '84.

Opinions?
    My opinion is that they are not maligned enough, but more power to ya.
    Condemned to obscurity, I fear, but perhaps, perhaps, the model years with the v-6 and 5-speeds, being an improved car with a speck of fun designed into it, might be saved by a few loyal followers. I don't expect it to have any value,however.Generally speaking, if a car was not much loved when it was first introduced, it does not suddenly become beloved later on, as in "oh, no, millions of us made a mistake and we're sorry!". Another undeveloped and abandoned GM car with great promise, like the Corvair. Life is really cruel in the automotive world.

Funny thing is, I really like Corvairs. Nostalgia might be a factor. My father had a few and I logged a zillion miles in em. I like the styling of the later ones too.

I could never understand the Fiero having any appeal to anybody since the X1/9, Lancia Montecarlo and the MR2 did the cheap mid-engine thing so much better. The 914 too, when viewed in competition with those cars (as opposed to Porsches) is pretty good as well. Why buy a Fiero when you have all those other choices? But then I know, people like what they like.
    Some people think, I guess, that being American made they won't have the problem they might have with a Porsche or X1/9, you know, that it would run as well as a Vette or a Camaro, but I don't think it generally worked out that way. Also, the Fiero is a BIG car if you really measure it, and that was appealing to some people in a two-seater, but more people wanted their two-seater to be small and agile. I think it was a car that tried to do too many things and ended up not doing any one thing very well.

• SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I worked wih a guy who had a really nice Fiero GT with the smoothed out body and the V6. I think it was the last model year (when they finally got it right). This car was a lot fo fun to drive. The thing with Fieros is that due to their "uncool, junk" status, they can be bought on the cheap. I have seen some in my area for sale in the paper for way less then $5k. not bad for a mid engined, rear drive, 2 seater.
  • I'm new to this list, but I think the Pontiac Special Touring Edition (STE) that came out in the 86-87 time frame will some day be a classic. It had some nice features like the on board compressor to load level and with accessories such as a hose and air output, that would allow the inflation of flat tires or other objects needing inflation. It has a digital dashboard with sensors for many things like head lamps, window washer levels, etc. It had fog lamps, electric door locks, electric antenna & trunk release, cruise control and radio controls on the leather steering wheel, pigskin suede leather seats, reading lamps, map lamps; door, trunk & hood open indicators, low fuel of course. It did not have outside temp indicators or fuel efficiency calculations but it seemed to be ahead of its time at a reasonable price. I don't know why they made so few and discontinued it.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,762
    I keep two of these tucked away in the garage and bring them out for a romp once in awhile.

They can be bought cheaply and are a well built kick to drive!

The rotary engines will go 200,000 plus miles unless you are unfortunate enough to ever overheat one...they don't like that!

I'm thinking about selling both of them and looking for the best 88-91 RX7 convertable I can find.

They are very fast and will outcorner almost anything. Don't make the mistake of trying to drive one if the road is icy!
    Yes, I think the last Fieros GTs with V-6 and 5-speed Getrag trans might gain some collectible status in the future, but not the older 4 cylinder cars.

The Pontiac STE, I'm afraid I can't agree...being a 4-door car is one liability, since rarely does a 4-door anything gain collectible status of any real value, and being a GM product of the 80s doesn't help, this being about rock bottom for the company as a whole. My guess is "doomed to obscurity".

RX7s definitely, but slowly...I'd say the later turbos and the convertibles have a better chance of being saved and restored than the plain older coupes, which are plentiful.

This discussion has been closed.