Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Problem Codes/TSBs

Comments

• sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    GM has TSB for warranty brake service which covers all GM vehicles 1999-2007. It's 00-05-22-002H, last updated June 20, 06. Google the number to find it on alldata.com. It is about 20 pages long and covers brake pulsation problems. I had this problem several times on my 2004 Maxx LS, due to improper torquing of wheel lug nuts. Problem was most noticeable when stopping from highway (like to pay a toll or exit an interstate road). Dealer had to turn the rotors each time to resolve problem. I began to torque the wheels myself anytime they were removed for rotation/service. I never had problem again. Turning of rotors to correct lateral runout is covered under original 3/36 warranty.
  • Just curious if anyone knows if GM has put a redesigned steering gear in these cars or if they are just putting the old design back in?

I have had this done and it solved the clunking noise (even though it is not what I was complaining about, but I did have the nose and feeling of the front end was going to come off). My concern is that it is going to continue to happen over time. Anyone know?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    My service manager told me that it was a redesign, to eliminate the (travel) play in the unit. I don't know exactly what the redesign is. They may have put some bubble wrap in there to keep the rack from hitting the pinion. :surprise:
  • Thanks,

That makes me feel a little better about it.
  • Update:

Have about 4,000 miles on the new steering gear. It has loosened up a bit and "clunks" a bit turning in/out of the driveway. However, it remains much much quieter than the original - especially on gravel or rough roads.
  • Thanks for TSB. This has been recurring problem on my '04 maxx as well, and for the same reasons.

Will see if dealer will understand what the bulletin is, and if they will do anything.

Does the TSB mention parts that GM actually replaces, or is it merely an advisory that the disks will warp due to bad wheel torquing?
    It is 10 pages long and covers many issues, basically what will and will not be covered under warranty. For warped rotors, they will only turn the rotors to correct the problem. However, if turning the rotors causes them to go below minimum thickness, then they will replace them. TSB does not include any part numbers.
  • 04 Maxx, 4/06- clunk, Dealer="link or bushing, front stabilizer shaft at control arm both R&R or replace". late 4/06 still present. "With in normal range". Lived with it until 7/06 and told them TSB. They replaced rack and pinion gear assembly, power steering replaced, Great! Until...Mid August. Now worse. 11/06 returned to dealer and guess what? See first 4/06 again! (Also had a leak in the passenger half shaft)Fixed leak, Clunk worse. The car has been in 9 times for various fixes, the only one staying is the clunk. OUCH!
  • mybooomybooo Posts: 92
    I usually get 5-6000 miles before I hit 10% on the Oil Life Monitior. Well, in the last week it has dropped almost 30%, and just this am it dropped 5% in 30 minutes. I have 3000 miles since the last oil change. My MPG remains the same, no rough idel, RPM's all seem to be normal - about 2k at 65mph, nothing out of the ordinary. Anyway, the dealer says there is nothing they can check. Any ideas on what might cause this? Our driving habits, etc are the same that they have been since we bought this car 1 year ago. I reset the monitor to see what will happen. ANY ideas? THANK YOU!
    Just a thought, would a bad thermostat do this? It seems like maybe the engine is running a little cold, but I am not sure. THANKS!
  • bhw77bhw77 Posts: 101
    Hi guys,

How can I get that TSB 00-05-22-002H without subscribing to AllData?
    Turning of rotors to correct lateral runout is covered under original 3/36 warranty.
    Dealer told that rotors are covered 12/12 and
    tried to charge me for repair. Never happened thou...
    I got the latest TSB (002H)from the free www.alldata.com/tsb site, but that site no longer lists TSB issued prior to July 2006. GM updates this TSB in June each year to add new model year. I also, get my TSB from www.infotraxx.com. For 14.95 you can access all the TSB for your car for one year. They are in PDF format and you can save them to your computer for future reference. They currently only have TSB issued through May 2006. They add new ones a couple times a year. The latest one they have is 002F from June 2005 (when they added 2006 GM models).
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    What model year and engine (likely 3.5L) do you have? If you noticed this on a specific ignition cycle had you recently done a remote start or had a short engine run cycle before driving it when this happens?
    I have the 3.5l, 2005 Maxx, and did a remote start (after market remote starter) - the car ran for about 5 minutes, engine temp a bit under the half mark. Never had a problem up until now. But, I rest the oil life monitor, and Since yesterday am (about 60 miles the oil life is down only 2% - it is now at 98%. I did a remote start this am - high 20's for the temp again, and knock on wood everything seemed normal. My oil life did not drop any on my way to work - about 10 miles. Yesterday it dropped 5% in about 30 minutes. Thanks for any ideas!
    OK, UPDATE: It was down in the 20's, heavy frost last night, warmed up the car for about 5 minutes before I left this am. Temp gauge goes to a little below the half mark (side not - this is where the temp goes even on an extended trip - we went on a 200+ mile trip this weekend and only dropped 2% in about 250 miles). I dropped 10% in less than an hour this am. RPM and mpg remains normal. So, question 1 - does this sound like a thermosat prob? and question 2 - Can the service dept. hook a scanner up and see if the thermostat is bad - even with a "warm" engine? THANKS for any tips!

Larry :-)
    Well, here is what is going on: Only on extreme cold mornings does the oil life drop. So, took it to the dealer, car is not throughing any codes, they have no idea what could cause this. They said all check out ok, did an oil change and they said oil looked good. I know something is up, as it is not normal to loose 10% of your oil life in less than an hour. ANY ideas? THANKS!
    Curious if you did a remote start or some brief engine run prior to driving when you saw the % drop?

If so you might be dealing with a software issue.

To your knowledge has dealer recently updated software in engine controller? There is likely an update although it would have been done per a TSB to address a long crank condition and not your complaint. However it might also resolve your complaint. If I can find out more I will
    Yes, I this has happened when I remote start. I do not know about any software flash, I did have the car in in August and they worked on the steering tsb. Maybe they did something to the software then? I have an aftermarket remote that the dealer installed when we bought our Maxx if that makes a difference. THANKS for the info! It gives me something to suggest to the dealer!

NP but they certainly aren't going to tie the oil life complaint to a PCM reflash from anything in a TSB.

This condition was probably always present, not due to anything they did - just takes certain conditions to show up.

What I was saying is there there is a potential that this might be cleared up with latest calibration.
    OK, I have not remote started my car since last week, and all is well. So, I am going to try the remote start next week and see if the oil life drops. I suspect it will. If that is the case, then I must need to be reflashed?