Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• I also am a little disappointed in the mileage I get with my 07 maxx although to be honest it is also dependent on my driving habits. Speeding along on relatively flat highways at 120kmph the computer shows about 9.8 to 11 liters per 100km. When I slow down to about 110-112kmph it drops to 7.2 to 7.6 liters per 100km. I have informed my wife that trips out to the east coast will now take an extra 1 or 2 hours. What bugs me though is that the car I traded in, a 2000 Impala LS with a 3.8 liter motor would show typically 7.5 to 8.5 liters per 100km at 120kmph. The higher milage ratings of the maxx was one of the selling points to my wife.
  • slringeslringe Posts: 1
    My 05 Impala also got better gas mpg then my 05 Malibu Maxx. I get 19.8 to 22 in the city. Seems like I am always filling her up. Highway it does get better about 28-30. Is there anything I can do to get better mpg? I checked the air cleaner, it was clean.
  • IMHO the two most effective ways of saving gas are to make only long trips and to flow with the traffic. Don't try to be the first at the next red light and try, within reason, to use the brakes as little as possible.

All the energy destroyed by braking you will have to make up using gas.

My brief experience with rental Impalas showed me that with a light foot it is possible to achieve 30 MPG in mixed traffic (50% highway, not more than 65 MPH, 50% city, stop and go).
  • Hi all, we continue to be amazed by our '06 Maxx fuel economy. We are getting 30 MPG (measured by amount of gas taken at refuel divided by miles travelled) on I-95, with and without AC running. The computer display shows 31, so it's pretty close. We have an LTZ with the 17" wheels. We keep tires inflated, car tuned, etc.; and drive gently. Around town we average 24. Pretty darn good for a big car with V6 and automatic trans.!
  • Before I forget, the '04 Malibu Maxx LS I used to drive up here in Portland managed to get around 26 - 28 mpg on the freeway, but only 18-19 mpg in the hills of Bull Mountain (a series of 500' high hills which force cars up and down up to 30 degree slopes).

I've seen several Maxxes up here. The snow required a change to a Subaru. ;)
  • ssanssan Posts: 5
    I own a 07 Maxx In Buffalo NY, it has never achieved the 20+ mpg that everyone claimes. We have owned it since new... As of recently with the 10% ethanol blend we (my wife and I) have noticed the mileage dropping as low as 14 mpg!!! Granted this is around town with the AC on etc. On a road trip to Florida we avg about 22 mpg on the highway... the car only has 35k miles and yes the tires are the correct size, new air filter etc... not sure if anyone else has heard of any other malibus like this or can help? Thanks..
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 390
    My wife has an '06 V6 Malibu and was initially getting 29- 30 on her daily commute to Rochester from the burbs (about 25 miles mostly 490). She changed jobs a few years ago and now it's mostly back roads with a mix of driving and she still gets better than 24-25. Something is indeed wrong. (The only time she sinks to 20 is in the winter with warming up the car with the remote and stop and go), It might be worth the $ to have a Chevy dealer put it on an analyzer.
    This is what I have been told by many after some back and forth with the dealer trying to plead my case it is going in next week lets hope something shows up...
    Well nothing is going on that would show up the dealer said they next step would be to pull the plugs clean and regap them. Also a possible fuel system cleaning. This all sounds great for a minimum of 300 bucks... the car does have 35k miles on it but the fact still remains that after 35k miles a car really should not be going through an issue like this. I have run a few tanks of fuel system cleaner through it no big gains there so I am not sure what else the dealer will do that will make big gains to see the mid 20's that this car should get. Also If the plugs should only be replaced after 100k miles has anyone else had to clean and regap them by 35k?
    Sorry to hear nothing found yet. My wife has just over 50K on her original plugs.
    (I'm assuming they are iridium, like my Mitsubishi is in order to get 100K (both V6s have hard to reach plugs on the firewall bank, so it pays to use iridiums to service less.). I'm surprised the analyzer could tell the plugs were firing correctly with the pulse display. How's the power ? (I know clogged catalytics can hurt both mileage and performance)
    The power is the same as it always been since new which seems fine so as a basis for comparison I would say that that is not the problem. Dealer said everything came back to spec and now they would pursue the plugs like I had mentioned... after that they seemed to be reaching for a solution...I am reaching as well I realize we do mostly around town driving but in Buffalo NY traffic is never "real' bad. Our other vehicle is a v6 explorer and even that gets 14-16 around town so for the malibu to be getting similar something is off.. Dealer also checked for computer updates etc. Just not sure I want to start spending hundreds of dollars for experimental fixes. On the other hand I would like to solve the problem but at this point solutions seem vast and many!
    edited August 2010
    I guess I'm out of ideas on this. If you've stuck with stock tires( no reason for odometer difference) and the analyzer came up clear I don't know unless you're a severe lead foot driver. (I know I am compared to my wife, but not that big a difference) Hope you find it as we've always bragged to our friends about how good her Maxx is for an auto V6 when it comes to MPG.(she's got the power when she needs it with no apparent sacrifice in MPG). I don't think they made any big changes in '07 vs the '06 3.5L engine. I would have thought their tests would have revealed stuff like a stuck choke with all the things the computer measures.
  • I recently bought a 2006 Malibu Maxx with 41,000 miles. Yesterday I did some freeway traveling and was pleasantly surprised when my mileage per the DIC read over 32 miles per gallon for the trip. The route included hills, flats and some traffic so the mileage is a good representation of expected future freeway mileage. When I bought the car the DIC read 24 mpg and this is most likely the combined mileage the car gets. :)
  • malexbumalexbu Posts: 169
    I love my 2006 Maxx but the DIC number is about 2 MPG better than the reality. Record fuel purchased and the distance between the fillups, divide the latter by the former -- you'll get your numbers and tnen we can compare them with mine. :-)
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I had 2004 Maxx LS. Averaged 24-25 MPG mixed driving (calculated by me). Also, could go 5-6000 miles between oil changes per Oil Life Monitor. That car was totalled around 30,000 mi (no injuries). I replaced with 2006 Maxx LTZ, which has same engine, trans, steering as the 2004. The 2006 lifetime MPG to-date is only 20.4 (calculated) and oil needs to be changed every 3000 mi per OLM. DIC on both overated MPG by 2.0 mi.
  • malexbumalexbu Posts: 169
    Your data on the 2006 is close to mine 2006 LT: 2 MPG DIC overrating, OLM readings equivalent to about 3500 - 4000 miles between oil changes, recent (this sping and summer) real MPGs being 22-24, at the average speeds recorded from 24 to 42 MPH.
2»