Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Audio, XM and Onstar

Comments

• chats1chats1 Posts: 158
    I have always continued the OnStar coverage because of the personal calling and you have to have one of the plans to get the personal calling which I find a lot easier to use while driving than my cell phone. It used to be a priority when I purchased a new GTP (have had 3) and now the GXP, but I don't know anymore. And, also, I have never had to call them for any breakdowns, but knew if I got stuck with my car, they would be there. But so far, all my Pontiacs have been great and I never had any problems, except for the 99 GTP which my nephew got from me and a few months ago it caught on fire in the engine area and the car was totalled. He didn't care though because he already had an Infiniti and was satisfied with what he got from his insurance company for the car and then bought a used Laredo for work. But, he had it for 7 years while in school. But with my problem on Saturday, I think I may go back to Triple A. We'll see. They probably keep sending you letters because they are looking for customers. Their attitude leaves a lot to be desired. It seems I'm always complaining about something, right? But I wanted everyone to know what happened and that is what this forum is all about. Chats1
  • rmozolrmozol Posts: 124
    Have any of you guys gotten those flyers for XM renewal for $77 for a year? I have until July 31 to decide. I like it, but not sure if it's worth the money. Secondly, the OnStar isn't worth it either. I THOUGHT that I had the one with directions, but found out I didn't when I used it to ask for directions. I had the complete package on my Cadillac, before this car, so assumed it had the same thing. I do like the cell call from it feature though.
  • tlaurotlauro Posts: 504
    I agree. I don't use nor will I subscribe to the Onstar Plans. I'd rather have AAA that follows the subscriber regardless of the car driven. I can use it when out of town in rentals or even a friends car. Cell phone wise, I have a nice one from Cingular and again, don't want a plan that's tied to my car. Nice features, but the value isn't there for me.
    No, I haven't gotten any $77 renewal from XM yet. Mine is up in Nov. I am going to wait until the last minute to renew, even though I don't think it's worth the money either. But, one of my law clerk's father's waited until the last minute and got it for $5.11 a month. I think waiting is best for both OnStar and Satellite, if you want them. Chats1
  • blckthreeblckthree Posts: 153
    I'd sure like to get one of those $77 renewal certificates! I would jump on that in a minute. I love my XM. It has become a priority for me in any future purchases. No XM, no buy, for me anyway.

O&A Rock!

Mike :)
  • cudaccudac Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why you cant connect a ipod to a 2003 grandprix. And you can with all other year models. thanks.
  • Hello All,
    I recently purchased 2004 Grand Prix, everything was fine until one day cd player stopped working. I can not even put a cd in. Nothing stucked in it, i have no idea what is goin on, anybody can help me?
    oh bu the way i am a new user, i hope i am posting this question at right place.Thanks all.
  • Have 02 grandprix, back speakers quit working apprx. 1 yr ago. Occasionally passenger back will work. Have been told everything from connections to amplifier,to computer. any answers, thanks.
  • rob1997rob1997 Posts: 5
    How many speakers do you have in the back?
    If you have only two then it you either have a bad radio or wires.
    If you have four speakers like I have then you have a low Hz amp. under your glove box you also need to check.
  • abc1923abc1923 Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. I am thinking about changing my factory installed Cd player with after market cd player. I have heard that that would damage car's alarm system.Has anyone changed their Cd player, ran into any problem? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
  • og512og512 Posts: 2
    I just bought a 05 GTP and I have the 6 speaker RDS system that plays MP3 cd's. I was wanting to get the XM satelite service. Do I just go to the dealer and ask them to add it on or do I need a different factory head unit?
  • Does anyone know how to remove the factory radio from a 2006 grand prix?
  • I have a 2006 Grand Prix with a radio that occasionally skips for a second or two. It's intermittent (no pattern that I have noticed). Other than that it plays very well. Any ideas as to whether there a setting that can adjusted or if thais may be wiring or antena problem would be appreciated.
  • My GTP's radio controls started acting funny. Now, when I hit volume up...it just keeps going up...and the same for volume down. ALSO -- randomly, the volume will go up or down on it's own. Does anyone know how to fix this? What part is needed or anything? It's getting to be very irritating!!! THANKS!!!
  • kbakkenkbakken Posts: 1
    2005 Pontiac Grand Prix

When an afternarket radio is installed, there is a bypass unit/adapter that you can buy to keep the factory beeps, as the beeps originally go through the radio. You can also get an adapter to bypass and relocate the stock radio to somewhere else (like the trunk) to retain these features. I have the first of the two.

The problem is that I think the radio keeps the date information in it. When you set the date on the DIC (Driver Information Center) with an aftermarket stereo, it displays only for a few seconds, then goes away and displays dashed lines where the date would normally be displayed. You can do this as many times as you want, but still, the date does not display permanently like before, when the stock stereo is installed.

Is there a way to get around this without having to get an adapter that bypasses and relocates the stock radio? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • harold18harold18 Posts: 2
    we have OnStar,but it is not activated,and it is on the analog system that is no longer available,but the phone will not turn off,and it continues to dail out GM told me my headers were gone,because the radio will not play,can someone tell me what the problem is?I would like to have my music back,my 2004 is dead without it.
  • harold18harold18 Posts: 2
    I found out that if you disconnect the battery cables and leave them off at least five mins. then reconnect,the phone on onstar stops dailing,and everything is fine,also.....,if you let the phone continue to dail out it WILL run down the battery,but once charged everything will work as it did before.The dealership wanted $95 for a diagnostics check,and told me it was my headers on my stereo,and that this would run me $150 to $200 to get it fixed.
    LIARS I would have spent major money,for them to disconnect the battery cables and reconnect them.Oh and in a 2004,pontiac gran prix,the fuse boxes are as follows; one under the hood ,on the passengers side panel,and two is on the passengers side,inside the car as you open the door look on the side of the dash.
  • I have a 97 GT. I have the Delco AM/FM/Cassette/Equalizer deck in the dash with the 12 CD changer in the trunk and Steering Wheel controls and HUD. I have two problems:

It appears that the bulb is burnt out in the display. How do I get to it to replace it?

The CD Player is only reading 4 of 12 CD's and has troubles starting even on those 4. Has anyone had the same problems? Any advice? It is an expensive item to replace and I would like to repair it to save money if I can.
  • evanbakadievanbakadi Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what an E20 message is on the CD player? I insert a CD, it makes some noise, then the I get an E20 error, and the CD ejects.

Anyone know what this error is?

Thanks!
    The CD player may need service -- to be cleaned. I believe I had gotten that code once on one of my GTP's and that was it. chats1
This discussion has been closed.