Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Climate Control/AC

Comments

• tyrodtyrod Posts: 1
    I have the same problem that many people have had with debris and junk plugging up the drain resulting in a soaked floor and even worse, a soaked foot! It seems as though the problem arises when I use the AC and defrost.

I took of the tube that leads into the engine and it was fine, clear as a whistle. So I tried shoving something up the pipe that the tube connects to and it went in a few inches but then came to a dead stop. What would work, in theory, is to hook up a drill and drill through the debris. The bad thing about that would be that the engine is in the way for any kind of drill.

Is there any way to unplug the debris from the inside? Or would it be possible to drill a hole in the area that it collects in and let it drain out into a bottle or something? Or do you have any other ideas?
  • HELP The climate control does not work all the time and i live in Canada and is rely cold and without heat i can't drive
    HELP PLEASE
  • Did you ever find out the reason for this problem?
    I have the same problem with my 98 GTP.

LP
  • Hey guys,
    Today I went out and started my car (2001 Grand Prix) to let it warm up. I turned the defrost on to high #5, and went inside for a few minutes. When I came back out, the blower was no longer running, but the knob was still on #5. All other settings, 1-4 still work but not 5. I believe numbers 1-4 run through the step transistor, but for the high setting, it by passes the transistors and goes straight to the relay. Could my relay be bad? Or the switch? Where are the relay and switch located?
    I also have been noticing a small whining noise after driving my car for more than 30 minutes. After shutting it off and starting it again, it goes away. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • Unfortunatley I can't answer your question! But I am having the opposite problem with my 01 Grand Prix.

1-4 are not working, but 5 is! Is this caused by the step transistor? Do you know where the step transistor is located and what it looks like?

Thanks.
  • Same problem with my 01 GT, only 1 and 2 speeds don't work, rest are fine. Just started happening this weekend, anybody have any idea's yet.

Thanks!!!
  • I have a 1998 4dr GP GT. It recently started to squeal and now vibrates and reves the engine anytime i put the heat/ac on and it's very loud.
    It does not matter if i put the fan on high or low. It keeps vibration and squealing.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thanking you
    Adrian
  • Is this prevalent when idling?? May want to check the Idler Air Control Valve (IACV).
  • I have a 2001 GP and there is a fuse box on the right side of the glove box. Remove the plastic box and there will be fuses in there. There is a 30amp fuse for the HVAC/HI on the lower section. If that fuse is blown, speeds 1-4 will work, but not 5. I am having a problem that with that same fuse in there, my 5th speed won't shut off, even with key off and removed. Any ideas?
  • My blower only works on 5. Help! I'm roasting to death. Any ideas or help would be appreciated!
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    It is probably a resistor on the fan control board- I had the same thing happen to my Canyon. It was fixed under warranty and the invoice stated they changed a resistor.
  • qi2001qi2001 Posts: 1
    I have exactly problem today, only level 5 is working. Wondering how much they will charege me ? :sick:
  • In the switch for your ac/heater blower are resistors. They tend to go out after so often. The only way, that I have seen to fix them, is replacing the a/c head unit. Unless, you know someone who is real good with electronics and can take it apart and replace them. I mean real good with electronics!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The usual suspect is the blower resistor assembly. It's located under the right side of the dash, just to the left of the blower motor. Remove the rear screw, loosen the 2 front screws, and slide the resistor out.
  • Do they have an aftermarket version of this resistor or is it a Pontiac part only? Thanks for the help!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Aftermarket are available.
  • On a 1999 GP i got the rear screw, I can see one of the front screws there gold. Any pointers? Tried dropping the fan but a harness of wires prevented that.
  • My '06 does the same thing. I don't think it makes a difference unless you get one of the warmer days when it might turn on the A/C when you didn't really need it. On those 50-60 degree sunny days, I make a habit of turning it off, because I have felt it kicking out air conditioned air. Not sure why it isnt like other GM climate control systems where when you turn off the A/C, it stays off until you turn it back on.

Mike :)
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    “when I use the auto climate control and set the cabin temp to a comforable 70 degrees the air condition (AC) light always comes on.”

I’m not sure I’d use the term ‘normal’ – but I never use the ‘Automatic’ setting – and the A/C light comes on probably 95% of the time when I start the car. Thus it appears to be operating as designed. I have not figured out why it does ** not ** come on occasionally.

In the Summer (here in Hot-Lanta) I turn it off when I don’t think I require (or desire) de-humidification. I happen to like fresh air – and almost always, even in Winter, have my moonroof in the vent position. Now, when it is cooler, particularly in the mornings, I just have trained myself to always turn it off - again unless it is quite humid and the inside of the windows requires running the condenser.

Just as I adjust the Temp, the steering wheel angle (I set it all the way up on exit), etc. when I start the car.

- Ray
    Still, at this advanced age, able to learn new habits . .
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Whenever the HVAC is defogging it turns on the AC compressor do dehumidify the air blown at the windshield.