Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Tires and Wheels

Comments

• mmstidhammmstidham Posts: 3
    I know they are genuine because I am taking them off the car personally. It was totalled by the insurance company. They are the Chrome 5 spoke with the socket head cap screws on either side of every spoke. I'm paying $100 for the set with tires.
  • chats1chats1 Posts: 158
    that's cheap because each tire runs about $250 plus because I just checked, and the wheels alone are about $1,000 each.
  • Hey im thinking about geting a new grand prix gxp. I want to put at least 3000$ into, but i dont want to waste my money, on it and only get like 10hp, i want to get at least 20, or 25hp gain's. What do you think i sould get?
  • gxpjoeypgxpjoeyp Posts: 38
    Well first if your gonna spend 3k on upgrades to the motor you will definitely get a whole lot more than 25 hp,you could probably get 25 hp by adding a cold air intake for under 500.00,maybe a chip for another 10-25 hp or throw on a supercharger for 3-4k and get up to 125 more hp,your options are not limited.smaller pulley is another choice.,but with the way the torque steer is now,huh, good luck keepin that gxp goin straight.

gxpjoeyp....2700 miles and lovin it...so far i hit 105 with a lot more to go.....
  • blckthreeblckthree Posts: 153
    Good luck pushing another 50 or more hp out of the GXP, the transmission and differential will be pretty much at their limits. The engine has the potential, but not without somehow increasing the strenght of the rest of the drivetrain.

Mike
    I didn't think Tire Rack had these exact tires. When I looked at their website a while ago, I couldn't find them. Also, I don't think I would want tires delivered to my home. It's much easier for the dealer to get them, if needed, and mount them. I'll be sure of getting the exact tire. I know my brother gets his through Tire Rack for his 95 Impala SS. I do have their catalog.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    "It's much easier for the dealer to get them"

Just offering info.

And Tirerack will drop ship directly to a dealer for mounting.
    - Ray
    Thanks for the info. Chats1
  • Hi,
    I have a GP GT 2003 (3800) - (P225 60R 16) wheels and I'd like to buy winter rims for my winter tires, therefore I could do the switch myself in the spring and the fall.

I would like to do this the right way and make sure that I do not damage my rotors (e.g. if improperly tightened), etc...

As far, what I know:
    - Tighten wheel nuts in a crisscross sequence.
    - Wheel torque (100 ft lb), from my car manual/guide.
    - Rotation, from my car manual/guide.

Questions:
    i) The work (rims switch) will occur on the ground. Should it be done when the car is elevated (hoist) ??

Reason: I read (somewhere) that it made a difference for special rims, like chrome rims.

ii) The Tires/Rims will be balanced initially, and I'd like to know if I should have them balanced every time I put them on (once a year), or for example every 2 or 3 years is good enought ??

Thanks in advance,
    Mike.
  • rmozolrmozol Posts: 124
    I just saw this post. Did you guys get your questions answered? I need some winter wheels FOR my 2006 GXP.
  • I'm ordering tires today for my wife's GXP. Tire Rack has a special $194 for the front tires. They currently offer Bridgestone Blizzak tires in the same (rare) combination of 255/45/18 front and 225/50/18 rear for winter driving, although most posters on this site say they drive fine with the regular (summer max performance) Bridgestone RE050A.
    I'm sticking with the summer tires year round, as we live in Atlanta, and snow is rare.
    I live in WI, so I KNOW we'll get snow. I'm going to wait and see myself. I also have two Conti M&S, in the same size, that I had on the back of my Infiniti for the winter. I'll put those on if the stockers are too bad, otherwise, I'll use them for the dragstrip!
  • i got a decent set of winter tires (i live in MI) but i want rims.. i will need to buy new tires in 2 years if i drive on them until then.. so i was thinkin that i buy a new set of rims and tires and change em before winter.. so i want some 18" maybe 19" black machined rims for my car but im not exactly sure how big i can go without messing with the suspenion or anything. any ideas?
    Depending how good or bad the stockers are, I'll actually go smaller for winter wheels and tires. Tire Rack shows that 17" will fit, plus, there's a LOT better tire selection, winter wise, for 17" as opposed to 18". As far as geometry, as long as you stay close to the diameter, and offset, you won't notice a thing. I'll drop down to a 215 width, so it will bite all the better. I know I'll lose some traction on dry, but in snow, it will dig a lot better.
  • Sorry guys, random gal question... my manual does not specify what psi my tires should be at... They are 17inch firestones... i drive a gt... any info please email me at luvon01@yahoo.com

Ciao!
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 793
    Aritzie,

Every vehicle sold in the US has a vehicle placrad that lists the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size. The placard is usually located on a doorpost or in the glovebox.

I happen to have a book that summarizes this info by vehicle, and a 2000 Grand Prix didn't come with 17" tires, only 15" and 16". I can only assume the rims are from a later model. This changes everything and the pressure needs to be recalculated. Assuming you are using a P225/55R17's, the size the later models used, then the pressure would be 30 psi.

If the size is different, then I'll need to know what the size is.
  • mike189mike189 Posts: 23
    i have a 2001 gtp special edition coupe,the special edition package comes with chrome wells,on day i noticed my car not riding like it usually does,i work for a bmw car dealer here in new jersey so i put the vehicle up in the air removed the rim ,i figured a bad tire valve,,,,,,,,,wrong the rim had corrosion on the inside of the valve seat,amazingly all four rims had damage ,i was pissed,my car is cleaner then some people houses,i never use acid to clean them ,so i called gm ,they advised me that i do have a gmpp ,xtended warranty,which covers all with no deductible,i didnt think rims would be covered,i had to bring the car to a dealer of my choice and they would send a rep to see it ,the rep couldnt believe it ,he took pictures and gave approval ,btw eac rim was $450.00 within 4 days i had new rims,my car has low mileage and is well taken care of as the rep commneted ,good thing i had the gmpp ,btw i wax the rims when i have the wheels off,it does help keeping them clean ,so if you see you start loosing air pressure in your tires ,check the rims ,according to a friend its common with chrome rims