Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• sfc400sfc400 Posts: 2
    my car will run fine until you turn on the lights,radio and air then the car will die going down the road. I use to have a 97 grand am and it was the alternator on it but the person I bought this car from said it was electrical some where in the wiring.Any suggestions!
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    By die going down the road, do you mean it is 100% fine, good power, and then all of a sudden stalls out? Or does it seem to loose more and more power as you turn on more accessories (lights, radio, A/C) until it stalls out... more gradually, so to speak?

What if you only turn on lights and A/C and try to accelerate fast? Is all the power there?

How long has this been going on? It's not typical for an alternator to get weak and stay weak for long periods. If it's dying, it should die totally in a couple hundred miles or less.

I assume no "battery" or red charge light is glowing on your dashboard?
  • x_itx_it Posts: 1
    I've noticed others are having the same issues with the power windows. I've replaced the motor in the sun roof and the driver side window and have decided to avoid using the others as much as possible for fear of them getting stuck while rolled down and also for fear of forking out more money. (They've already displayed their gears "slipping.") Also, the autodimming feature of my rearview mirror has recently malfunctioned and now I have a liquid bubble effect in the middle of my view. Annoying.

My current issues are with other electrical aspects of the car that I've been dealing with, but am now making an attempt to find a solution to. All around the same time, the digital clock/radio display went out (I can only read it when the sun is shining on it..oddly enough), the windshield wipers halt in "midwipe" (and I have to turn them off and on several times before they land back under the hood), my speedometer has taken on the intermittent function of my windshield wipers, and when it's not working, my odometer ceases to function...also the cruise control ceases to function periodically. I have noticed a few of the disruption in functions occur when I hit a bump in the road..like the speedometer, odometer, and cruise control. Anyway, I was just curious if these problems were indicative of some specific common problem and if so, is there a solution on the side of inexpensive?
    Thanks,
    X_it
  • please help me!!! i have a 98 grand prix which i love!! love it even better now that it's paid for!!! but for several months i have had NO HEAT or a/c. no big deal until now when it's getting cold. has stock rear window defrost that's on the same panel but that doesn't work either. had the problem awhile back where the nob for the force didn't work except on high. replaced some part the dealership suggested and it work. but no nothing works. if anyone has any suggestions please help!!!! :cry:
  • So when you try to turn on the heat, nothing happens? Like if you listen carefully, you can't hear the engine fan starting or anything?? The only problem I've had is if I have just the vents on cool, the a/c will turn itself on every now & then. But other than that.... I know what you mean about the car tho-I love mine too-I almost hate to admit there's something wrong with it!
  • when i turn any of the knobs nothing happens. no noise from the fan that i can hear. and the rear window defrost button doesn't work now. for awhile it would work occasionally but i hasn't in several months. my husband is no help with the problem and i can't afford to take it to the dealer. if i knew what was wrong i could find someone to fix it but i hate just taking in something and saying" i don't know what's wrong". they always make me feel like a dumb, helpless female.
  • And you know what dumb, helpless female means?=female gets screwed over. Yeah I would think It'd be something with the electrical/wiring(easier solution than something being wrong w- the fan) just bc the other buttons in that area don't seem to be working either. Do you have the dual-zone climate thing? Just curious. I'm gonna ask my mech. buddy about your problem and maybe fiddle w- my GP to see if it is (hopefully) just wiring. I'm meeting w- him in the next couple of days so I'll keep you posted. Don't freeze in the meantime!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Also, when I meet w- him I'm going to replace the tranny fluid and check for metal shavings in the pan-(if there is the car is in bad shape) due to the shifting thing. Again, if anyone knows something about this please let me know!!
    (thx for the good luck comment)
  • thanks for the help. my hubby figured it was the wiering, like i have a short or something but did he do anything about it? NO!!! and yes it seems that when i don't know what's wrong with the car i always get screwed. on my old blazer i think a shop actually tampered with a part while fixing another just so i'd have to end up back there. they denied it of course but that part was fine when i took it in and two days later gave out. too bad for them my brother actually knew how to fix it. so after that experience i am always careful when taking in a car. good luck at the mech- i've had the metal shaving thing in a car before. always a bad sign.
  • Hey sorry its been awhile I'm still waiting to meet with my friend (i told u he was a mechanic!)lol So we're thinking tomorrow so as soon as I know anything, I'll let you know!!

At least its warm out now!--wait, where do you live? I'm in central Minnesota ;)
  • emurnemurn Posts: 4
    yeah, it's not too bad here now. my hubby also has a guy from work who's had several gp's trying to figure out what's wrong. hopefully the indian summer will last a bit longer!!! :)
  • Hey turns out I was pretty close to being right!! He agrees it's definitely something with the electrical...prob. a circuit fuse, although he wasnt too helpful with a solution. I know there is a fuse box inside the glove compartment...maybe if you fiddle with the one that corresponds to the heat and blower panal??
    Mentioned your problem to my Father in law who is a retired part rep. for GM and he was convinced it was a "blower regulator" i believe thats what he said. but that's just based on a common replacement part in grand prix.
    well, now that i've confused you royally, i hope this helps ;) !!!
  • I have a 95 grand prix and for some reason my brake light won't work,I have no manual so I can't look anything up. HELP PLEASE!!! :confuse:
  • My battery charger says the alternator is out on the wife's 2001, I've changed a few in my day (never on this car, it's been perfect!) but here's the problem...
    everything was unhooked leaving the lower "pivot" bolt loose, I then realized it has a spring holding tension on the alternator. If I pull the final bolt, how do you "set" the spring to replace the alternator. Any help or links to information or repair sights would be a huge help.
  • Lights in both radio control buttons on the steering wheel have gone out on my 1998 Pontiac GP. I tried to pry off the buttons or pull the assembly out of the wheel but no luck. I was afraid to force it and risk damage. There is nothing in the owners manual about replacing these bulbs.
    Does anyone know how to replace them or if they can even be replaced?
  • Under you dashboard about 10” above your parking brake paddle is a diode. It about 3” X 1.5” X 1.5”, rectangular shape and it has cooling fins. Just unplug it.
  • HAVE YOU FIX THE PROBLEM.

IDEA TRYING GETTING THE IGNITION SWITCH WIRES REPLACE ABOUT 100.00 BUT THEY CONTROL ALL WHAT YOUR SAYING IT WORKED FOR ME.
  • :lemon: :sick: For the past few months i have trouble starting the engine. I brought the car to the car dealership and they replaced the fuel flow regulator. The car still didnt start properly. It actually got worse and stalled out on me a few times while i was driving to work... WHAT IS GOING ON??? Again i brought it to the dealer ship and they said it could be the fuse box... that is a bunch of BS!! I finally brought it another pontiac dealership and they diagnost the problem as a computer glitch... there is no way im going to spend that much money... IM DONE WITH GM FOR GOOD!!!!
  • tbird85tbird85 Posts: 1
    I went to turn on my wipers, and the driver side first started wiping over past the windshield and running into my
    rearview mirror, then stopped working altogether. The passenger's side works. It's a 2007 and it shouldn't have problems yet. Did I kill it?
  • girevikgirevik Posts: 9
    The only break light I have working in my 2000 Grand Prix GTP is the center one. I tried to replace the bulbs in yesterda but it still didn't work, so I guessing it must be an electrical issue with the wiring (the other tail lights and blikers work fine).

I'm not much of a car guy - is there any chance this is something I can repair myself, and assuming it's going to take a trip to the dealership does anyone have an guess as to what it might cost?
  • ace2clace2cl Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Grand Prix with the same identical problem. I too would like some info on this.
  • bcarson1bcarson1 Posts: 4
    I had a problem with my car leaking water in through the cowling above the AC/Heat blower motor. I have fixed the leak and replaced the blower motor.

When the leak was present my door locks would lock and unlock while I was driving and sometimes they wouldn't lock when you put the car in gear, and they would not unlock when you shut the car off.

Now they don't lock while I'm driving, but they also don't lock when you put the car in gear and if I lock them they don't unlock when I shut the car off. Is there a specific fuse that might have corrosion on it or something like that? I can't find a fuse for just power locks. There are fuses for security, pass III and so on...
  • ribscarsribscars Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Grand Prix GT,Does any one know how to program the key fobs(keyless entry)remotes.
  • brightguybrightguy Posts: 5
    My 97 pontiac would not start, even with 12v at the starter, I cleaned the two plugs on the fender going to the crusecontrol, starten right up. :)
  • brightguybrightguy Posts: 5
    In The back of the manual(haynes), the last schmatic shows a box (for)daylight running lights, and the same thing with the box gone for no dlr;s.Got me where the boxs is but it needs to be removed and wires put back together.
  • duane9586duane9586 Posts: 1
    I am trying to locate the relay for the secondary air injection system, any help would be great. thanx
  • I have an '03 GT & the drivers heated seat continued to heat after the switch was shut off. The next morning I had a dead battery. I took the fuse out. Any ideas on what's wrong?
  • Did you ever get this working? What did you have to do? I'm having the exact same problem. Thanks.
  • My windshield wipers on my 98 gtp work fine when turned on, but when they are turned of they go staight up to the verticle position and stay there. Any ideas?
  • I had the exact same problem for two days on my 2002 Grand Prix V6 3.8L last year, with only the center brake light working. I looked at the wiring, etc. but could not find the problem. Just as suddenly the problem went away for about one year but I never knew why the two brake lights worked once again.

Last week the same brake light problem reappeared with center light OK and turn signals working but the two main brake lights would NOT work when I pressed down on the brake pedal. The two brake light bulbs did light up when I used a remote function like locking or unlocking the car or opening the trunk. I then searched most of the web and found one person who suggested a solution that he said sounded silly but that worked for him. I tried the solution and it also worked for me.

Seems the problem has to do with the hazard and signal switch and some kind of short. I noted many more messages on the web describing the same problem, some with even more symptoms.

Solution: My hazard signal switch was stuck in the down or off position. I carefully jiggled the switch with light upward pressure. The hazard switch button broke free after a few seconds and the 4 way flashers engaged and worked without problem. I then clicked the hazard switch on and off about three or four times. Now my brake lights work fine. It has been 5 days and the brake lights are still working without problem. Try this simple solution and see if that solves your problem. It saved me a lot of money at the dealer. My internet research says total cost to fix this problem at the dealer is about $600 ($350 labor and $250 parts). The part is a multi function or combination switch and includes turn signals, hazard, cruise control, etc. Hope this helps a little.
  • chele5chele5 Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix...150,000 miles.

Randomly, but typically when the engine is first started, the ac/heat/fan/rear defogger and the headlights won't turn on. (The car has a built in sensor for the headlights to turn on automatically at dark. If I turn the light on manually, they work fine.)
    The other evening, I was driving and the headlights randomly shut off (this was a first) - but again, when I turned the nob, they turned on.
    I have had it to the dealers twice now and they have checked the connectors and can't find anything wrong.

Other random (electrical?) items - the passenger side stereo speaker will stop working and then work again....the "mute" button on the steering wheel when pressed, will mute the radio only for a second and then the radio starts playing again....the LCD display on the car stereo system works most of the time, but randomly won't at others.

There doesn't seem to be a common thread to any of this, day/night, heat/cold, wet/dry/humid/snow.....does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong and what can be done to fix it? I can live without a lot of things but the defrosters in the winter aren't one of them.....please help...thanks!