Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• jef587jef587 Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Grand Prix GT and the bulb in the passenger headlight keeps going out. I've replaced it 3 times in the last 2 months. I've read about condensation buildup causing problems...could this be the answer? I noticed the last time the bulb went out that the high beam still worked, but it didn't last for long. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the high and low beam come from the same bulb? Could it be a simple fuse issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!
  • dlc2dlc2 Posts: 10
    I had the problem of not being able to remove the key from the ignition, and traced it back to the shift console. A wire had broken off the plug going into the Brake Interlock solenoid. Any idea how to remove the metal clip left in the plug so I can re-insert the wire?
  • Can anyone tell me what may cause my Low Oil Level light to come on just about every time I start my 2002 GP GT???? The weird thing is that if I turn the car off and start it right back up again, it doesn't come on and it seems to only come on when I start the car and typically when the car has not been running for a while.
  • I had the same problem with my 02 GP GT and if you look on the right side of the shift column below the ignition, there is a round plastic plug that you can remove, and then you just insert a screwdriver up there until you feel the back of the ignition and press on it softly until the key is able to turn back. I had to do this on my car for about 6 weeks on and off, and now it has not happened for about a month. Otherwise, my mechanic told me that it would only cost about $100 or less to replace what it was that was causing the problem.
  • Hello, I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix and all of a sudden the radio and power windows have stopped working. I have checked the radio fuse and the PWR window relay and they both seem to be good. Any ideas... Please HELP...
  • rja00rja00 Posts: 1
    Hi

I just bought this car from a police auctions
    runs great

I just have a quick question
    the digtal lights for the speed and dash lights do not work when I turn the lights on at night

and the low cool antifreeze light blinks but it has plenty

or then that the car was a great buy better then a car payment this car had been sitting since march 07 and it started right up
  • Did you ever find out about the blower staying on all the time even when the key was out of the ignition? I just purchased a 2004 GT and it has the exact same problem. The blower stays on high constantly. I have to unhook the battery cable to keep it from running down the battery.

This seemed a little different than the other models where the blower would not work on the lower settings.
  • Unfortunately no, and as a temporary fix I removed the panel underneath the passengers side of the dash board to access the blower which I was simply connecting each time I needed air, less hasle than having to disconnect the battery considering the battery location. The bad part was that upon reconnecting the blower the motor would go from a stand still to full speed and within a few short days the gears inside the blower got stripped. So now the blower motor itself is dead and I will need to purchase another motor just to get back to the point of trying to figure out why it won’t turn off. None of the advise given on this forum has really addressed this particular occurrence but it does seem like I’m not the only one experiencing this issue. I have concluded that it’s not a relay or resistor.
  • I was able to fix mine. It seems that the water leaking from above in the passenger cabin intake is probably the culpret. There is a deflector that can be installed to keep it out.

To fix the problem, you will have to either install/replace the modulator that goes to the blower. In your case, it sounds like you will have to replace the blower moter too (sorry to hear it burned up). The modulator isn't that expensive but it is a dealer item. The dealer should also be able to get you the water deflector.
  • My windshield wipers are working but when you turn them off they go to the vertical position. Quite annoying when trying to drive down the road. Any ideas??
  • The problem started when the 2003 Grand Prix SE consul shifter bypass button had to be used to shift out of Park. The consul shifter now works without using the bypass button after using it several times but the service engine light will not reset.
  • Hi I am having the same problem with my 2003 grand prix se. Only I still have to use my shift release button. How did you fix that. To reset try turning your key so you have all power do not start pump your gas a few times then start. Not sure if it works but I read that on one of the many sites I have been on.
  • Thank you SO much!

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with this problem. I recently installed a trailer light wiring harness so I just knew that was the problem. Unfortunately I spent an hour disassembling the whole thing only to find that the problem wasn't solved.

I did a yahoo search "only the center brake light works" and found this forum. I walked out to the garage, turned the hazards on then off and the probem was solved!

Again, thank you!!!
  • Hi, I should have said that the reset light started to go out when the oil was due to be changed after approximately 1 to 2 minutes, not 5 to 10 seconds like it is suppose to after it is reset. I have tried to reset it many times. My shift release started working after 3 to 5 weeks of using the bypass button. I read that it you jiggle the shifter and try lifting up on it that it may start working without pushing the reset.
  • I tried to do the little trick they recommended to do, but I found out my hazard light switch is stuck all the way to the bottom and it won't go back up! Does anyone know what to do about this? I'd hate to have to pay a lot of money for that one little problem but I really need my brake lights :cry:
  • danh6danh6 Posts: 1
    I turned my car on the other day and was driving when I noticed the DIC(Driver Information Center) and my headlights were flashing on and off. Then both shut off. I had to manually turn the headlights on. The DIC and Headlights do not start at all now. Then I turn my heater on and it is dead. I try all positions 1-5 at all different settings. Try my heated seat and it does not work. The radio works fine, I can charge my cell phone, and the car works fine otherwise.

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with around 55k miles on it. I checked all the fuses. I searched the Internet and this site. I could not find any forums where someone was having all these problems.

I just lost the transmision 5 months ago on this car and can not afford another $1500 to fix this problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated. It is snowing tonight and I have no heat.

Dan
  • Suddenly last week, my ABS and Trac Off lights decided to stay on when I started my car. I can sometimes get them to go off by turning the car off and restarting, but not always. Our mechanic had the car all day and can't find anything wrong.

Any suggestions or advice before I take it to the dealership?
  • washfordwashford Posts: 2
    Dan,

Did you get your problem resolved? I have a simliar problem with my 2001 Grand Prix. My brother thinks it is the ignition switch.

Larry
  • kobillokobillo Posts: 1
    i have a 01 gp gtp sc and just had both lights turn on. heard that the wheel hub speed sensor goes bad after 100,000 so i had them replaced but the lights dont want to turn off and cant afford to put more money into this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions it would help me out alot
  • The heads up display on my 2004 Grand Prix just quit working the other day without warning. Naturally I checked the fuse. This is my first car with HUD so I'm somewhat clueless as to what all the system is even comprised of. Anyone have an idea where to start and how hard are these to change? Thanks.
  • I just bought a 2006 Grand Prix, but the FOB doesn't work. The Pontiac dealer says its about $40 to program the FOB, but I imagine there is some way to do it myself. Can anyone help me? It is the basic V6 model and it does have the remote start feature. Please help me.
  • bettie2bettie2 Posts: 4
    Here is a website I used to program my fob, hopefully you can do it yourself I thought it was pretty easy to follow. Good luck!

link title
  • krayziekrayzie Posts: 1
    i feel like a fool for posting this but i have had my 2005 grand prix for a year now and i have no idea where the interior light is and how it works
    any help would be good help
    thanks
    JOe
  • tpfuquatpfuqua Posts: 2
    My 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT low oil light comes on and stays on when the engine turned off. It does not come on or flash when the engine is started. Thanks for a possible solution. Tom
  • tpfuquatpfuqua Posts: 2
    My 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT fasten seat belt light and sound alert comes on after the engine is turned off and I have exited the car. I have fastened all the seat belts. The lights and tone stay on after the door is closed and locked. They eventually turn off. Thanks Tom
  • This morning my remote unlock would not work.
    I then noticed a list of things did not work:
    Power windows
    door chime
    door locks
    interior lights
    radio

I checked some of the fuses all seemed fine. any ideas?
  • Hello,

No matter what, unless I pull the fuse in the passenger side fuse box, or the J-style fuse #26 under the hood my parking lights and tail lights will not go off what so ever. I've tried turning them off from the head light switch to no avail.

The problem started when I was installing a wired FM modulator (for ipods etc...) it was night time and I mistook the "Dimmer?" wire (solid gray wire 4th from the end on the top row) in the radio harness for an accessory wire because when I'd turn the key on I'd get power and vice versa when I turned it off. So I wired everything tapping into that wire for power. The next morning when I finished the installation the modulator didn't work, nor was that wire getting any power. I found that that wire only got power when the headlights were on. I finally did research to find there is no acc. wire in the radio harness and found the correct wire to tap into in the fuse pannel.

Everything worked fine, but the parking lights and tail lights won't go off. I uninstalled the FM modulator and put everything back to factory state and still the lights won't turn off.

Since then, today:
    *I unhooked all 3 inputs to the BCM
    *Totally unhooked the Headlight switch
    *swapped out all of the relays in the fuse box under the hood
    *checked all fuses
    *unhooked the harness mounted above the fuse panel
    *pulled the panel of wires under the fuse panel (they have a bolt in the center)
    *unhooked "yellow" harness on each side of the dashboard

Nothing in the car works now because I"ve unhooked everything I could think of, it won't even start but the parking lights are still on

Ideas or suggestions?