Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Steering/Suspension

etcbetcb Member Posts: 42
edited September 2014 in Pontiac
I own a 2005 GXP and have experiences clunking noised from my steering column (began noticing about 22K miles). The dealer said it was a design defect and that a "grease kit" would fix the problem. Needless to say that "band aid" approach did not work and now the car is back for the 2nd time to fix the problem. Now the dealer is going to relace the steering box assembly which is suppose to be a new design. Funny this wasn't done the first time. By the way, I had the same issue on my 2004 GTP which I had traded-in for the GXP.. Beside the sterring issue, there has been no other problems. Fingers crossed!

Comments

• bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    Did you get the extended warranty, or the basic included?

Thanks,
    Bubbaman (Gary)
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    After dealing with a cadillac dealership with warranty issues, and now a pontiac dealership with warranty issues, i've come to the conclusion that about 80% of the time, the dealerships are "parts changers", and NOT troubleshooting technicians. Maybe they just dont have the time to properly troubleshoot a problem. Ive had situations time after time, where they said they fixed the problem, and no! they changed a part, hoping to fix the problem, shove it on out of the service bay knowing darn well it still wasnt fixed. Im not so sure the tech's i've delt with in the past few years can even read a schmatic.
    P>S> i just had that lube done on my steering a month ago because it was clunking. Thanks for the info. Im sure it will re-appear.
  • etcbetcb Member Posts: 42
    Covered under 36K warranty
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    I had the same issue with my '04 Bonny GXP. The dealer replaced the intermediate steering shaft, and the clunking/small vibration I heard/felt at low speeds is gone. The advisor suggested they would lubricate (I guess what your dealer service guy did first) to see if that worked. While I was describing the issue to the service advisor, one of the repair techs piped up with the solution. If it's any consolation, I had the same issue on my '03 Aurora.

If you should go over to the Aurora boards, you will see a lot of posting by Hammen. He is quite the GM guru, and he was one of the posters that steered (pun intended) me to the correct solution. Good luck and I hope your fix works.
    All,
    On the highway, how much vibration do you feel in the wheel? I feel a little, almost like it is slightly out of balance, only at 60+ mph. I only have 1000 miles, 1 1/2 months old. I am taking it in on Friday to dealer for a check.

Thanks in advance,
    Gary
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    none and I've had it up to about 100mph.

latest mileage: mixed 50/50 driving about 21mpg
    hwy speeds were ~70mph with misc in town and to work 0 to 45mph.
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    I'll ditto ocmike3. I have absolutely no vib. in the steering wheel. The thing is rock steady at very high speeds.

my mpg is hard to keep up because my right foot just wants to go down.....

My oh my, this car generates some serious interest. Most people can't seem to figure out what it is. I get guys in BMWs and Audis slowign down and speeding up to see what this lowly GP is doing looking so sharp. And the V8??????
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "On the highway, how much vibration do you feel in the wheel? I feel a little, almost like it is slightly out of balance, only at 60+ mph."

None.
    - Ray
    Very sensitive to such . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • bob97bob97 Member Posts: 16
    My 97 GP would vibrate at speeds on certain highway surfaces (and not on others), but so far not a wiggle from my GXP.
  • dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    I sometimes notice a slight wheel vibration first thing in the mornings on my way to work. personally, i think its from having the tires only inflated to 30 psi, and if its cold out and sitting all night, it almost feels like a "flat spot" on the tires. once i drive a few miles though, it seems to go away.
    Dealer checked on Friday and said it needed a balance. May have been that way from start and now that the tires have "settled in" needed a balance. How long are folks getting before they need a balance? Will see if fix is permanent.

Cheers,
    Gary,

PS Last tank city/hwy (40/60) mix 23.5 MPG on mid grade.
    All,
    Drove my GXP again on the freeway and I still think I feel a vibration in the steering wheel, ever so slight, not like out of balance, just feeling every bit of the road. I don't remember this when it was brand new and just had the dealer say it was out of balance last Friday. So what do folks feel with the wheel when they drive. I cannot be sure but feel it even a little when not on the highway. What do others feel? Any ideas? Will probably take it back to the dealer. Only 1500 miles so far.

Thanks,
    Gary
    bubbaman999, when you drive on the highway, does the wheel shake back and forth if you take your hands off of it? usually when the front wheels are out of balance, the steering wheel will shimmy, giving you a sign. i recently sold my 87 vette, and it had very wide tires on it, front and back. the steering wheel really vibrated a lot, mainly due to the tire size. since the tires on the GXP are wider in front than the back, maybe part of your vibration could be related to that.

if it was me, and it bothered me that much, i would take it to my dealer, and have a mechanic drive it to see if they think the vibration is abnormal. usually if someone that knows how suspensions and things work can experience what you experience, chances are they can pinpoint the problem if there is one.
    Thanks,
    Yes they "fixed" the balance last week and unless I am on absolutely smooth flawless road I feel every vibration, even not on the freeway. It didn't do that when right off the lot, now has 1500 miles. Have an appointment for thursday, they may put new tires on thinking but will let you know. By the sounds of other folks they don't "feel" the road on their cars.

Thanks,
    Gary
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    " they may put new tires on "

NB: The key to getting the same tread design/compound is the GM "TPC" code on the tire - that's how you know you've got the same construction.

- Ray
    Presuming you want exactly the same tire & not a generic brand \ size RE050A . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I wonder if you're seeing the same issue I've had with my Bonneville.

Even after getting a new set from GM under warranty and a new set out of my pocket, it's still not totally smooth. You can see the last episode of this saga here.

This issue has been reported by owners of other cars as well, such as the Bonneville's siblings, the old STS and Park Avenue. It seems that as these cars got a stiffer chassis, this issue flared up.

As the vibration is not all the time in my case, I wonder if it's something else...

Good luck.
    Thanks for the info. They looked at the car Thursday and then they drove several on the lot and said that the car seemed normal. They were not planning to do anything. Checked the balance and they wrote it off as a "high performance car" with a good road feel and excellent handling. Don't know what to think, the vibration is slight and varies based on the road surface. Maybe I am being too picky, but my 03 Civic SI that was $17K didn't have any vibration at all on any surface. My 1999 Impala LS didn't either? I will look that link and thanks again for the info. Will keep you posted on its status. I have a long vacation coming up in July and see if it drives me nuts.

Thanks,
    Gary
  • radams1radams1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a leak in what appears to be steel tubing in the return line of my Power Steering system. The problem is that the line does not show up on any of the parts dealers parts list that I have visited. It is about a 3/8" OD steel line that has 3 or 4 waves in it a couple inches apart and about an inch or two high. It is clamped to the underside of the vehicle and makes a loop then the input and output turn upward where they connect with the return line from the rack and to the return side of the pump. What is it? can it be replaced without the other two lines? Or, does the whole shabang come as a unit ? Can I omit it and run the return line directly to the rack?
    Thanks for any help,
    radams1
  • sthomas6568sthomas6568 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a 1999 GP SE-3800 with 85,000 miles. As it was used I have no record of repairs. Giving the car a once over I find that the rear tires are wearing very thin on the inside tread. Is it possible to have the rear wheels aliened? The car seams to have been very well maintained and may have replacement struts in the rear.
  • denoakdenoak Member Posts: 2
    I am a new 1996 grand prix owner. The car continuously "bounces" in the rear. Even after new struts and tires were installed. Is the fiberglass mono spring a replaceable and serviceable item? Could that fix my problem?
  • denoakdenoak Member Posts: 2
    Sthomas,
    on my 96 grand prix, when I installed the rear struts, I had to have the rear wheels aligned. I did a 4 wheel of course.But yes, the rears are alignable.
    Hope that helps.
    Denoak
  • midfieldrulzmidfieldrulz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GP with 75,000 miles on it. I've had zero problems with it, but just recently noticed a slight tapping/twinging type vibration that I can feel through the steering wheel when I make turns. It occurs mainly when I'm making a slow turn onto a side street and it doesn't make any difference if it's a left or right hand turn. With each turn I can feel the vibration 2-3 times during the course of the turn. Also, it doesn't make any difference if I'm braking or not, I feel it both when braking during a turn or not. The car tracks straight as an arrow and I'm not seeing any premature tire wear. Any ideas at what this might be or how to check it out?
  • swimmerman272swimmerman272 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a (used) '99 Grand Prix GTP 4 door. It is an AWESOME car. I have a problem though; if I get on the gas in a lower speed turn (<30 mph) then the remainder of the time the car is on, the power steering system makes a very loud moan when I turn the wheel at a low speed (accelerating or not).

After some lame research on some random forums, the best idea I can come up with is that it's the power steering pump? I dont know though, I am not too familiar with that noise... :confuse:
  • bobthebikebobthebike Member Posts: 11
    My '04 had it's steering box replaced at 35K and regreased at 97K. Considering how flawless the rest of the car has been, this small item has been a non-issue in my book!
  • pebbles13pebbles13 Member Posts: 1
    I am researching issues with the noises my 2004 Grand Prix is making when I turn. It is almost like a slight vibration and makes an awful noise. My tires are not the problem, however I suspect it has something to do with my power steering and now reading the issues on this site, I think I'm right. Any ideas as to what can be done? Has anyone had this problem fixed? What was the outcome?

Thanks!!!
  • hwelch73hwelch73 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem with my 04 Grand Prix. It whines when I turn. It's worse the colder it is outside. Sometimes it makes a horrible clattering noise when I first start it. I think it's related to the power steering, too but I don't know exactly what. I can't seem to locate the power steering pump or the fluid so I can check the level of power steering fluid.
    To make it as easy as possible, just take it to the dealer. They are aware and it isn't an expensive fix. I'm now at 110K miles and the car just keeps getting sweeter.
  • montana_catmontana_cat Member Posts: 26
    My 1999 GT is whining when I turn too. The first time I noticed it was on a day back in February when the temperatures were in the single digits. It would whine when I took a corner fast and then whine for a while after that.

It was kind of cold yesterday morning, and it did it again, and continued to do it throughout the day.

Has anyone discovered what exactly the problem is? It went to the dealer today, but it didn't whine for them, so they didn't have any answers.
  • nickkokonickkoko Member Posts: 1
    does anybody know the answer to this? Wheels turn great to the right but hard to the left.
  • gp1311gp1311 Member Posts: 2
  • gp1311gp1311 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Grand Prix, and was wondering,how do i get the steering wheel cover off, so i can get the stereo control covers off. I didn't notice any screws anywhere, just that it won't come off. If you guys know of how to get them off, please let me know.
  • sveeder50sveeder50 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone get this figured out? My 04 is doing the same thing. A couple of buddies that know a lot more than i do about cars both thought that it was the power stearing pump. Can anyone back that up?
  • msmishmsmish Member Posts: 7
    Please tell me that you had someone fix this problem for you?! Please let me know what it was cuz i'm having that same problem and that is one annoying noise!!!!!
  • redline82redline82 Member Posts: 1
    Hi...I have an 02 GTP...I notice a significant vibration when i accellerate on the highway at high speeds and when making turns at high speeds...it seems to be getting worse...wheel bearings gone? It only does this when the car is hot...i have had my wheels balanced and it continues getting worse...
  • nickrnickr Member Posts: 1
    I have (had) the same problem at 50k. All you need to do is add power steering fluid. Some vehicles from the plant had low levels added and since then, the remaining has purged out. The resevoir is behind the alternator. Once you add it, turn on the car, turn hard left and hard right and the noise will be gone!!!
  • mels1229mels1229 Member Posts: 4
    I just took my '06 GT with slightly less than 30,000 miles (still under warranty) into the dealer this morning for service with 2 symptoms.
    1: Loud whine when making sharp left turns, nothing when turning right.
    2: Constant whining noise when driving, sort of sounds like an airplane propeller

I had a feeling that #2 was a hub bearing issue, because my '02 GT front hub bearings went bad and made the same noise. However, I thought I must be wrong, since the '06 isn't even 2 years old yet and doesn't have that many miles on it.

Well, my diagnosis was correct - left front hub bearing is bad. They also told me that my power steering fluid needs to be changed because it is 'burnt'.

My questions:
    1. Isn't it a bit early for a well maintained vehical with less than 30,000 miles on it to have problems with a hub bearing? I've taken it to the dealer for all maintenance/oil changes, etc. since I bought the car new in Jan. '06.
    2. Does it sound odd that the power steering fluid would be bad at this point? The dealer was sort of evasive when I asked if it had gone bad prematurely. Of course I have to pay for the fluid change, since it is considered a maintenance item and isn't covered under the 36K mile warranty.
    That's total Bull****! How can someone manage to "burn" power steering fluid on their own in a 30,000 mile car?? cant be done! thats a sign of a bad dealer if you ask me. In my opinion, there are many dealers available to choose from. I have always been treated like royalty at my dealer, probably because they know that if they tried to pull some lame excuse for not fixing something when the car is still under warranty, that i would take my business elsewhere!

Im trying to support GM as best I can, but if thats how they want to lose their business and declare bankruptcy, It will slowly start to become a reality in the next few years. Ive always owned GM vehicles but am not against the idea of switching to another brand of vehicle if I get bad service from a dealer.
  • jbarber2jbarber2 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this fixed?

Mine does the EXACT same thing. If I turn hard right at all it gets stuck in whine mode, and its like that until I turn off my car and restart it. It also makes some kind of engaging noise right after I put it in drive and begin to move forward.
    This doesn't sound like the exact same thing my car was doing. My car only made the noises when the car was moving. After replacing the left front hub bearing (under warranty) and doing a power steering fluid flush (cost less than $100), I have had no more problems.
  • montana_catmontana_cat Member Posts: 26
    Hi jbarber2,

We added more power steering fluid, as it was somewhat low. My still makes the noise when I cut the wheel hard. But adding power steering fluid did get rid of some of the noise. It hasn't been loud enough for me to justify another trip to the dealer. I'm wondering if it is a temperature thing and if it will act up again now that the weather is colder.
  • gearrgearr Member Posts: 21
    power steering is a hydrolic unit and it is high pressure if a valve stick in the steering unit or the pump it can burn the fluid.
    Gearr
    So, are you saying that rather than just change the fluid, the dealership should have looked to find the cause of the burned fluid? Since all they did was the fluid flush, I may still have a problem lurking in the power steering?
  • gearrgearr Member Posts: 21
    Yes thay should have but a flush may have fix it.
    do you still hear the same noise?? if so take it back to them.
    Gearr
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Obtained my 06 GP-GT in May 2007 with 4300 miles by orig. owner, Caddy tradein..Not excited about a low-tech Pontiac, but the price was great for a loaded GT..Traded in a 2002 Olds Intrigue, owned since new, and had accumulated 119,500mi..it was my 3rd Intrigue and the best one..Had a 98 Intrigue which GM bought back after 26k mi. and the second one was a 99er which I kept for 75k mi. The 99 and 2002 had the alum, blocked 3.5,4valved V-6 which was a great runner, trouble-free, and smooth compared to the 3.8 2valve-iron blocked. Since I had owned 3 previous 3.8 GM cars I knew going in what to expect from the SC3.8..coarse and thristy.

The Pontiac has already required the repositioning of the ISS shaft which firmed up the sloppy steering, however the inside outer tread of both front tires are starting to chunk up meaning that the alignment was screwed up when the shaft was relocated
    some 1300 miles ago. Car shows 14k as of today. All tires are nitrogen-filled with approx. 34# cold PSI..

My 2002 Intrigue needed a right front hub assy @ 95k miles, didn't emit any strange noises, was having warped rotor problems and the Chevy dealer found the problem.

I will keep the Pontiac for a couple years if it doesn't cause too much grief. My heavy mileage days are behind me..Good Luck with your GT.....
    We'd a'll like high tech at a low price, but that ain't happen.... No timing belts to change, 100K brakes, parts I can buy at the local parts store and install with no special tools, etc. Give me my 131K mile, low tech 3.8, '04 GP that gets 30mpg all day long, Pontiac all day long!
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Price was the only reason I got the 06 GP-GT, $16,400, stickered @$30,250, it averages about 22mpg in town driving, and maybe 27 out on the Eway. It will loosen up and mileage should increase. Glad you enjoy your 04 GP.
  • itzallmyfaultitzallmyfault Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 98 Grand Prix GTP. It has 136,000 miles. I'm beginning to wonder if this was a really bad decision. The car seemed in great shape at dealer. It had a little too much play in the wheel but not bad. After driving a few days, I'm noticing quite a pull to the left and a really rough ride. I heard a lot of good things about the 3800 in these cars and thought the miles wouldn't be a problem. I hope an alignment will take care of the problem.
    Any thoughts??

Thanks,
    Laura
  • directorgal51directorgal51 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2006 grand prix. And the steering wheel feels loose and makes a whining sound - kind of like when a string of carpet gets caught up in the vacuum cleaner.
  • whitehot8whitehot8 Member Posts: 1
    I took my car to the garage today to find out why it is steering so hard. Turns out to be what people told me it probably was. A worn out rack and pinion. What I am wondering is until I can get a new one installed, will anything else happen to the steering other than the wheel being stiff making turns? Garage said nothing would but I would feel better having more opinions.
  • floydafloyda Member Posts: 1
    :) Pontiac Grand Prix 3800 V6. This one stumped me for a couple of days. Losing fluid but could not find source of leak. Wife drove car to work and called me complaining of squeaking and groaning under hood. She drove it home and I traced sound to power steering pump. Removed cap and filled to proper level. This was temporary. Source still needed to be found. Started engine, turned wheels and fluid started flowing onto ground. Shut engine off and crawled under car, after jacking up of course. Found pin hole in cooling return line. Apparently GM improperly installed, missing one of the holding brackets. Each time wheels were turned, force of hydraulic pressure made line jump. It was rubbing against transaxle and eventually wore through. The cure. JB Weld 4 minute patch. Hardens to the strength of steel. Saved the cost of replacing entire line.
This discussion has been closed.