Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Steering/Suspension

Comments

• gearrgearr Posts: 21
    power steering is a hydrolic unit and it is high pressure if a valve stick in the steering unit or the pump it can burn the fluid.
    Gearr
  • So, are you saying that rather than just change the fluid, the dealership should have looked to find the cause of the burned fluid? Since all they did was the fluid flush, I may still have a problem lurking in the power steering?
  • gearrgearr Posts: 21
    Yes thay should have but a flush may have fix it.
    do you still hear the same noise?? if so take it back to them.
    Gearr
  • Obtained my 06 GP-GT in May 2007 with 4300 miles by orig. owner, Caddy tradein..Not excited about a low-tech Pontiac, but the price was great for a loaded GT..Traded in a 2002 Olds Intrigue, owned since new, and had accumulated 119,500mi..it was my 3rd Intrigue and the best one..Had a 98 Intrigue which GM bought back after 26k mi. and the second one was a 99er which I kept for 75k mi. The 99 and 2002 had the alum, blocked 3.5,4valved V-6 which was a great runner, trouble-free, and smooth compared to the 3.8 2valve-iron blocked. Since I had owned 3 previous 3.8 GM cars I knew going in what to expect from the SC3.8..coarse and thristy.

The Pontiac has already required the repositioning of the ISS shaft which firmed up the sloppy steering, however the inside outer tread of both front tires are starting to chunk up meaning that the alignment was screwed up when the shaft was relocated
    some 1300 miles ago. Car shows 14k as of today. All tires are nitrogen-filled with approx. 34# cold PSI..

My 2002 Intrigue needed a right front hub assy @ 95k miles, didn't emit any strange noises, was having warped rotor problems and the Chevy dealer found the problem.

I will keep the Pontiac for a couple years if it doesn't cause too much grief. My heavy mileage days are behind me..Good Luck with your GT.....
  • We'd a'll like high tech at a low price, but that ain't happen.... No timing belts to change, 100K brakes, parts I can buy at the local parts store and install with no special tools, etc. Give me my 131K mile, low tech 3.8, '04 GP that gets 30mpg all day long, Pontiac all day long!
  • Price was the only reason I got the 06 GP-GT, $16,400, stickered @$30,250, it averages about 22mpg in town driving, and maybe 27 out on the Eway. It will loosen up and mileage should increase. Glad you enjoy your 04 GP.
  • I just purchased a 98 Grand Prix GTP. It has 136,000 miles. I'm beginning to wonder if this was a really bad decision. The car seemed in great shape at dealer. It had a little too much play in the wheel but not bad. After driving a few days, I'm noticing quite a pull to the left and a really rough ride. I heard a lot of good things about the 3800 in these cars and thought the miles wouldn't be a problem. I hope an alignment will take care of the problem.
    Any thoughts??

Thanks,
    Laura
  • I have the same problem with my 2006 grand prix. And the steering wheel feels loose and makes a whining sound - kind of like when a string of carpet gets caught up in the vacuum cleaner.
  • I took my car to the garage today to find out why it is steering so hard. Turns out to be what people told me it probably was. A worn out rack and pinion. What I am wondering is until I can get a new one installed, will anything else happen to the steering other than the wheel being stiff making turns? Garage said nothing would but I would feel better having more opinions.
  • :) Pontiac Grand Prix 3800 V6. This one stumped me for a couple of days. Losing fluid but could not find source of leak. Wife drove car to work and called me complaining of squeaking and groaning under hood. She drove it home and I traced sound to power steering pump. Removed cap and filled to proper level. This was temporary. Source still needed to be found. Started engine, turned wheels and fluid started flowing onto ground. Shut engine off and crawled under car, after jacking up of course. Found pin hole in cooling return line. Apparently GM improperly installed, missing one of the holding brackets. Each time wheels were turned, force of hydraulic pressure made line jump. It was rubbing against transaxle and eventually wore through. The cure. JB Weld 4 minute patch. Hardens to the strength of steel. Saved the cost of replacing entire line.
  • Hey guys, can someone help me with my 04 GP? Just lately, when I turn a corner, I feel a chucking or bumping in the steering wheel? It doesn't do it all the time yet. What is that? Hubby says something to do with rack/pinion, or ball joints? Anyone out there ever had this happen with the steering wheel? If so,
    is it costly to fix, or what? Thanks so much. With the bad economy right now we can't afford expensive car repairs. Know what I mean?????
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Posts: 427
    Do you feel a bumping or chucking in the steering wheel??? Well it's very simple, your ISS shaft needs to be replaced..My GT has only 30k miles and the original shaft was repositioned at 13k, replaced at 25k and just replaced @30k..all under warranty.

My previous experiences with this shaft was with 3 Olds Intrigues, 98,99,and 02. GM repurchased the 98 Intrigue after 26k miles, the 99er went through 2 shafts in 75k miles, and the 02 went 120k miles with one replacement..

I paid for 1 shaft on the 02 Intrigue and it was around $260 at the Chevy dealer. The Olds dealer quoted $420, and I have no idea what my local Pontiac/Buick/GMC outlet wants..I have been assured that I will be taken care of w/o costs in the future after warranty expires..

I purchased 4 new Kankook tires from the dealer plus a remanufactured wheel, so the onus was on the dealer to deliver a shake-proof car at all speeds..Tires were road-forced balanced, and it is coming around to perfection..The price I paid for the whole deal was super cheap and if the tires wear out in 25k miles, I really don't care..

Pontiac is not a great car in this day and age, but It was a cheap buy for me with 4300 miles showing, and it's ability for brisk travel, carrying 4 adults with great a/c, leather, sunroof, and other goodies..My 09 Mustang Bullitt isn't too comfortable for 4 adults..The Pontiac was a tradein for a new Caddy STS..

Any play in your GPGT steering wheel is due to the faulty ISS..Tie rods ends and strut bushings were good on mine, no shake @120mph, outside and inside mirrors give clear images at all speeds now..

Life is simple, watch for frt bearing wear on high-mileage cars, for I did replace the RH frt assy on the 2002 Olds Intrigue around 100k.
  • Completely lost all power to the Power steering system. No indications of issues, no error codes, no bad fuses, fluid level is full.

Any ideas???
  • lvyleslvyles Posts: 1
    HELP! My '06 Grand Prix has been making some very strange front end noises. It started in November and it was only left hand turns...now, it's ALL the time and gets louder when I accellerate. It sounds like something is rubbing. The dealership replaced the steering rod in November but it has not fixed a thing. I'm concerned that it could be the drive shaft. Any clues??
  • I am having a problem with my 06 GP with 45k miles. It feels like a popping or a clicking when turning at low speeds. I don't have any problems at higher speeds or when driving straight. Any ideas what this might be? I appreciate any help
  • Sounds like it could be the power steering pump going. I have an '04 GP with 90K on it and the pump went out. Cost about $60 for the pump and $140 for the install. Good luck!
  • Sounds like it could be the power steering pump going. I have an '04 GP with 90K on it and the pump went out. Cost about $60 for the pump and $140 for the install. Good luck!
  • can i change just the shocks to get a stiffer ride?
  • jnice05jnice05 Posts: 2
    Ok every time i hit a bump in the road it feels like my car slides its hard to explain and every little bump is shaking the car and it shouldn't. My car has about 95k and it was bought used. Do u think its the rear multi link system or my front struts or the coil springs?
  • jnice05jnice05 Posts: 2
    Ok every time i hit a bump in the road it feels like my car slides its hard to explain and every little bump is shaking the car and it shouldn't. My car has about 95k miles and it was bought used. Do u think its time to replace the rear multi link system or my front struts or the coil springs or all?