Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Oil Questions

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Just prior to letting my 530i go back at lease end, I had an UOA performed on it. At that point the Mobil 1 0W-40 had just over 9,000 miles on it. The UOA came back indicating that the oil was a little less than two-thirds gone (based upon a VOA that I had performed at the same time). With that in mind, it's pretty obvious that these engines can in fact go the full 15,000 miles. That said, I'm not that much of a fan of the BMW oil (although I have no scientific evidence to back that up), and as such I was in the habit of yanking it after 5,000 miles and then running the remainder of the service interval with Mobil 1.

Given that my now extremely high annual mileage precludes me from leasing a new BMW, I'm in "lurk" mode for the perfect 2000 528i 5-Speed with all of the trimmins. Obviously that car will be outside the warranty and free maintenance period, and instead of paying for a UOA every so often to confirm the oil's continued effacacy, I'll just target 10,000 mile oil changes and be done with it. The current plan is to pick up a car with relatively low mileage (60K-70K), and then drive it until the quarter of a million mark.

Said another way, if you change your oil at 5,000 mile intervals, it is an absolute certainty that you will be throwing away oil that would otherwise still be good for another seven to ten thousand miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jeep53jeep53 Posts: 49
    HI ALL. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSES TO MY QUESETION. I'M IN THE THINKING STAGE OF BUYING A 2001 OR 2002 BMW 330CI CONVERTIBLE. THEY REALLY HOLD THEIR VALUE FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN SO FAR. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO OWNS ONE OR PLANS ON GETTING ONE? I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW THE CAR IS GENERALLY. THIS WOULD BE MY FIRST BMW. I'M LOOKING FOR A FUN CONVERTIBLE WITH A BACK SEAT(NO MATTER HOW SMALL).

ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS!!!
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,353
    Just a quick unrealted question to Shipo.

What is the max mileage between changes on your DGC?

Regards,
    OW
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "What is the max mileage between changes on your DGC?"

Actually we have two, both with the 3.8 liter engine. One has a recommendation of 6,000 miles and the other has a recommendation of 7,500 miles. Using Mobil 1 0W-40, I'm using a target 10,000 mile OCI with both vans.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    Hi Jeep:

I think you should be posting here for a quicker answer:

BMW 330ci Related Topic

Of course you can check back here, too, in case someone with that car pops in--but we'd like to stay on topic with OIL.

• bgcbgc Posts: 10
    Service engine soon lite came on. We had some icy and cold weather in New York last Friday, while driving home the lite came on. Brought in Monday. HERE IT COMES There seems to be a software issue with the program that causes this lite to come on at very cold temperatures. Tech showed me bulletin, BMW is creating new software to alleviate this condition so for now they cancel out the message and when the software issue is resolved the car goes back in. Well at least Spring is here.
    I assume the software is cheaper than a dipstick. Unbelievable continues...

Regards,
    OW
  • bgcbgc Posts: 10
    Called BMW Customer Relations after I dropped the car off on Monday. Relayed info concerning the issues I had with my 328xi. Here is a review,
    1. Took delivery of new 2007 328xi Loaded Sticker 45,000.
    on Dec. 27
    2. Jan. 6 in shop till Jan. 22 for valvetronic and relay
    3. Jan 24 back in shop till Feb. 5 for a new DME
    4. Feb. 16 to Feb. 17 for oil sensor
    5. March 19 to March 20 Software issue
    Molly at customer relations was unbelievable she understood my utter frustration with this car, she spoke to dealer and regional rep. Tuesday afternoon I get a call from my servive rep that regional approved taking back the car and getting me into a new one. Going today to order. Thank You
    Molly and BMW North America.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,666
    WOW!!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Excellent! Good on you!

Regards,
    OW
  • As I mentioned in a previous post, I just bought a 2006 330i with 24,000 kms on it.

I have heard conflicting opinions on how often I should have an oil change done. The service manager suggested every 12000kms, but I feel that is far too high.

Thoughts?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Every 12k-17k miles (19000-27,000 km) or one year (which ever comes first) should be fine. Your car will tell you when to take the car to BMW for an oil change.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    Trust the factory engineers. They are real smart and went to school a long time.

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    Every 12k-17k miles (19000-27,000 km) or one year (which ever comes first) should be fine. Your car will tell you when to take the car to BMW for an oil change.

The one year mark is not okay according to the dealer, Rather, it's when the car tells you the oil change is due.
    The dealer is lying to you. Who do you trust - a dealer who wants to make money off an out-of-warranty oil change - or a manufacturer that wants to protect their brand?

Who loses by you getting an early oil change? You lose cash/time, the dealer makes extra money and BMW is none-the-wiser of the dealer's duplicity. Who loses if you don't get the extra-undeeded oil change? The dealer loses extra money.

BMW has a multi-billion dollar product-line to protect. Do you think they'd advise you to avoid oil changes if they were really necessary? The e46 came out in 1998 and with it came BMW's engine system that monitors your oil and pushes you to get a change at appropriate times. 9 years later have you ever met an e46 owner/former-owner who had engine problems attributed to following BMW's oil change schedule? no, you haven't. BMW might know a thing or two...they did design the car and they've got about a decade of experience following the once-a-year oil change schedule.
    I'd be worried if I followed the advice of the dealer and the car itself. Frankly, I don't know who to believe.

But... since I lease it may end up to be someone else's problem.
    If you leased, then follow the manufacturer's specifications to a tee. Your BMW should only cost you for the following during your lease:

gas
    insurance
    tires
    payments

That's it. You should not have a single dollar of maintenance expenses on a leased BMW. Follow the manufacturer. The dealer is a liar and he is looking to make money off you.
    ..........The dealer is a liar and he is looking to make money off you.

Not sure I follow you, if the dealer is advising me NOT to have the oil change till the car "tells you" to.
  • I suppose I would agree then.

Further to the oil change issue - Castrol Syntec Racing is reccomended.

Though I have been told Mobil One is the way to go also. Opinions?