Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Rattles, Clunks and other odd Noises

Comments

• chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I don't see the problem with those GM badges, but I know others have criticized them also. Did the removal of the badges leave any mark on the paint?
  • dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    One of the main reasons I review this forum is to keep up on any information about my GXP. I dont rely on GM anymore for that information due to my last vehicle.

I purchased a 2005 Chevy Equinox in July 2004. It was a great vehicle to start out, but they i quickly found problems with it. The main one being with the heating system. After only a few thousand miles on it, I was browsing the Equinox forums, and discovered that many drivers had issues with their coolant. So, i decided to check mine, and it looked literally like chocolate syrup! needless to say, i contacted dealer about it, and they said that "GM" hadnt issued any service bulletins about it, so dont worry about it. After a few months of studying the forums though, i found that it was a coolant hose problem; they were manufactured overseas somewhere, and they didnt use the proper preperation to treat the hoses, and it was reacting w/ the dexcool coolant. After many calls to my dealer, they finally contacted the right people and replaced my hoses (all 7 of them!) to fix the problem. Of course, i traded that vehicle in June 2005 for my GXP though, and i've never looked back!

Forums like this are a great way to share information with actual owners, and keep the dealerships out of the loop. They are only as good as what GM lets them be.
  • sahoward1sahoward1 Member Posts: 19
    I too, have owned many cars and most have had minor annoyances. But... the GTP I traded in was my favorite car of all time...better than my previous Bonneville. That GTP was perfect and I loved it. The only thing that happened was it got up to 69K miles, so alas, I needed a new car. And I guess I thought I was going to like this blue-green crystal as much. And I guess I didn't think I was going to have to accept this stupid AC programming, especially since my salesman told me it could be re-programmed. I'm disappointed I didn't find a solution here, but satisfied that evidently none exists. One more question if you don't mind.... does anyone know how to get past CAC? Is there another level to take this?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "especially since my salesman told me it could be re-programmed"

You believe what a sales dweeb told you?
    - Ray
    Astonished . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Why don't you ask the Service Manager for the name of the representative for your dealership. Maybe he could help you. There is always the BBB (their number is in your manual). GM participates in the BBB. I didn't bother though when I was doing all my complaining about the hissing/humming because I figured I would get nowhere. My hissing/humming is so minor I just ignore it now since it goes off after 15 seconds and does not interfere with the performance of my radio/cd player. when my nephew listened to the hissing/humming sound he called it "static." But, my problem was I was fighting on "principle." GM was aware of the problem with the 2005 GXP's and yet put the same problem in the 2006 GXP's. I didn't even know I had this problem until someone on this forum told me I did. He said open your door and put your ear next to the speakers, you'll hear it. And he was absolutely right. I did! That's why I think this forum is great. Ray is very very helpful as is Robert Hammen, but we don't hear from him much. He helped me too alot re the tires. And he was correct. I have also written to two people at GM and received NO reply.
  • sahoward1sahoward1 Member Posts: 19
    I had been doing business with a small, country dealer since 1977, and yes I did trust them. I took my car in rarely and for small problems that were fixed promptly the first time. They even gave me a ride to work when I had to leave my car. Last fall they closed down; the father/owner became too ill and I don't think the kids wanted to work that hard. So the dealership was sold to Hundai. I miss their personal, friendly, honest service. Anyway, it's a lovely day here in New England and we're coming into AC season. Who knows what matters may concern us by September. I'm satisfied that if a solution existed for the AC (re-program or new sensor) someone here would have found it. I plan to write letters on this topic and if I get anywhere, I'll let everyone know. By the way, I think the snowflake default is far more annoying that the hiss or the GM badge.
  • billgxpbillgxp Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to hear the AC issue is ruining your GXP experience. I am not sure how carefully you read the owners manual or how much you have experimented with the system, so let me share these thoughts. I have a 2005 GXP with the manual climate control and the AC light did not come on all the time in the winter. A review of the owners manual for both the manual and auto climate control systems indicate that "the system will automatically turn off the recirculation and run the air conditioning compressor, unless the outside temperature is near or below freezing." when the selector is set for FLOOR/DEFOG or DEFROST. (In the case of the manual system it indicates 40F vs. freezing). Have you tried using the selector in the VENT, BI-LEVEL, or FLOOR positions and see if that continues to activate the AC compressor? The other important thing to understand is both climate control systems are very sophisticated pieces of equipment. If the compressor is activated it is by design and mostlikely serving its intended purpose. Maybe having the compressor on is more of a concern with higher fuel costs, but my guess is the effect is minimal (the car does have a V8). Also if you check further back in this forum there was a link posted that led us to more detailed info about the operation of the climate control system, specifically in regards to the parameters it follows during remote start. Hope this helps.

For anyone who might care, I found that when listening to a CD, if you want to fast forward or reverse the song you are listening to you can press and HOLD the up or down button on the left side of the steering.

No complaints about my GXP!!
  • gxpjoeypgxpjoeyp Member Posts: 38
    No but cuz im such a yutz sometimes,as i was removing the one on the drivers side,i managed to accidently put a nice 1" scratch on the fender,i feel like i wanna cry.....touchup time.
    Try Meguiar's Wax. You may be able to get the scratch out unless you took the paint off. See, that's why I wouldn't fool around with those badges. Actually, I know other people on this forum also don't like them. They don't bother me though. I'm too busy looking at the GXP badges to notice those little GM squares. I love them!!!
    i guess a good test would be have someone put their ear to the speaker, and have someone else push the Onstar button to activate it, and see if the hissing stops.

another test one could try would be to remove the fuse for the interior lights and/or the onstar to see if that has any effect on the hissing as well.

i would tend to believe it has something to do w/ the chime that plays when you leave the key in the ignition and open the door. doesnt that sound get produced thru the speakers as well? if so, isnt there a setting in the manual to turn this chime off? that could be another possibly of what is causing it.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    "Did the removal of the badges leave any mark on the paint? "

Nope!

• gxpjoeypgxpjoeyp Member Posts: 38
    only for me cuz im [non-permissible content removed] handy you know what i mean......
  • billgxpbillgxp Member Posts: 13
    tlauro:

Where did you get the "PONTIAC" lens logo for the third brake light??

-Bill
    the hissing sound cannot be heard normally just sitting in the seat. i just noticed mine the other day when i had the door opened. i thought id put my head down to the speaker in the door, and i could hear it. but sitting in the driver's seat, i couldnt hear a thing. i live in a small dead-end street neighborhood too, so there was no other sounds to be heard.

i dont think that it is as big of a deal as some people have made it to be, unless they can hear theirs while sitting in their seat. i fiddled w/ mine on friday, and found that it must have to do with the keyless entry system. if i sat there w/ my ear by the speaker and the door opened, i heard it, but after 30 seconds or so, it stopped. then, if i hit the unlock or lock button on my key FOB, the hiss would come back, and the "ding ding" sound also plays thru the speaker. if i had to guess, it sounds like this "ding ding" sound is just played extraordinarily loud, and when that sound isnt being played, all that can be heard is the "hissing". im pretty sure the manual gives instructions on how to alter the sound level of that entry "dinging". im not sure what mine is set to, but its plenty loud enough for me. maybe some of these other people have theirs set louder and can hear the hiss more than me.

one thing to check is to see if the "ding" sound can be turned OFF thru the programming set up in the manual. ill bet that would fix the hissing. On the downside though, there would be no entry/door lock alert noises either.
    Thanks for the tip about the seek/scan buttons on the left side of the steering wheel when you want to fast forward or backwards playing a CD. I tried it this morning. Works much better than the actual reverse or forward buttons -- they take too long. Thanks alot.
    I dont' mean to upset anyone in here. Im just saying that a lot of these problems arent really big enough get bent out of shape over.

If GM did know about the hissing problem, maybe they didnt think it was that big of a deal to go and totally redesign the entire speaker/keyless entry system to fix it. Maybe there werent enough complaints received for them to actually worry about it. My GXP is a 2005, and the only way I can hear it hissing is if i put my ear right next to the speaker in the door, otherwise I dont hear it. I havent checked this on the 2006 model, so im not sure if its the same or not. Have you tried adjusting the volume of the door chime? Im pretty sure there is a way to set that in the manual. Maybe that will help with your hissing sound.

I know how you feel about dealing with GM service, Chats1. I did enough of that when I had my Equinox. I wasnt directing that comment at you either, I was merely stating that it seems lately that subject keeps coming up over and over. I would rather read about good experiences and helpful tips about the GXP than read about complaints on GM's service dept. Its much better to be able to read about someone else's success in solving a potential problem, or sharing valuable information on here.

Also, when I commented about parents buying their kids cars, I wasnt implying that it is totally wrong for every situation. Its just that there are some kids out there that are not deserving of an expensive gift like that, and are already spoiled enough. They should be made to go out and get a job and learn to earn their money, instead of having everything handed to them. But, there are also a lot of other kids that actually do receive a gift like that. They are the ones that are hard working and deserve such a reward. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

There is always good and bad about someone's comments. They shouldnt always be taken as totally one-sided.

Im sorry if I have offended anyone in this forum.
    It doesn't have anything to do with the keyless entry system. And, I only hear it when I put my ear to the door speakers on either the driver's side or passenger's side and when I sit in the car before starting it I hear it either coming from the middle light or OnStar (I can't tell which); then it goes out. It's either coming from the light or OnStar which has a microphone and since your car is always being monitored by OnStar, the microphone is obviously still on even though you turned the car off. OnStar goes off after 48 hours if your car is not in use so that the battery is not drained. Your car is always being monitored. If it is, indeed, coming from the microphone in OnStar, the only solution would probably be to put a foil box around the microphone. Who's going to do that.

You're not at all upsetting me with your comments. That's what this forum is all about. Speak your mind!! I appreciate all the help I get and want to know of anyone's difficulties to see if I might be or could be experiencing the same problems. So far, this car has been wonderful except for the humming/hissing. I'll say no more. Actually, I didn't even know I had this problem, until someone raised it on this forum. I sent a comment back and said I don't have the humming/hissing in my car. I got a response back saying "Yes, you do. Listen to your side door speakers and mirror." I did, and he was right. So, see, I didn't even realize I had the problem. This forum told me I did. So you shouldn't criticize me for all my complaining. This forum brought it all on!! That's why the service manager told me to stay off this site!! Have a good weekend. Have to get some work done. Hopefully, I'll be able to cut out early. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate everyone's comments and help. I'm not sensitive and don't take offense. Chats1
    I didnt realize mine made the hissing sound until i read it on here too :) I decided to listen for it one day, and when i couldnt detect it, thats when i put my ear to the door speaker. What i tried though, with the door open, was to take the keyless entry FOB and press the door lock/unlock button, which makes the familiar "ding ding ding" sound come out of the speakers. While still holding my ear by the speaker, i sat and waited about 20 seconds, and the hissing finally stopped! To me, it just makes sense that the "ding ding ding" sound turns into a hiss after it gets "played". Try recording anything at a low volume level and play it back loud enough so you can hear it clearly. You will definitely hear speaker hiss/hum once the main recording is over.

As for Onstar monitoring your car, i just dont believe that. Especially if you dont purchase their monthly plan. How could they afford to constantly monitor EVERY vehicle produced with onstar at any given time, even if people arent paying for it? True, if you turn the system on to call their service center, they can track you. And yes, if the car gets stolen, they can trace the locator in your system, but i highly doubt they would be monitoring that signal every second of the day for millions of cars that have Onstar installed in them. Besides, if it IS Onstar that is causing the problem, what does having the door be open or shut have to do with them? Onstar operates whether the door is open or shut. Doesnt the hissing sound stop once the doors are shut? (or the keyless entry dinging sound stops? hint hint, lol)
  • gxp4megxp4me Member Posts: 7
    Hey everyone ... I have a problem and was wondering if anyone has some input for me.

Just recently I noticed that there seems to be a rattle coming from inside the drivers side door. It just started recently and isn't very loud but it is annoying since your ear is like right there.

Anyone have any ideas? :confuse:

THANX

Frank
    GXP4Me
    No, I haven't heard any rattling in my door. But, I believe I did with one of my GTP's. The dealer fixed it. What dealer did you buy your car from, since you're from South Jersey? Take it back to them. You're under warranty. I bother my dealer all the time if I have a problem. They're used to me and are a great dealer.

Now, I had a inch and a half long and half inch wide piece of sheet metal in my rear tire. When I got home the other night I heard this loud hissing. Computer came on halfway to the gas station telling me to check pressure. I already knew. I went straight to the Amoco station and they didn't think it could be plugged. They plugged it and it held. They told me to come back the next night for them to check the air. No air leakage at all so the plug is holding. They suggested buying four new rims and four new tires to have on hand!!! I said no, but was thinking, what are you nuts?? That could be an easy $4,000. I did call Bridgestone though and they didn't have the right size of our tires in their computer. They had for the rears REO50, not REO50A. The guy said they would have to track the tire down and it would take 2-5 days. He also said it must be awful in the snow; I said the car performed this past winter superbly in the snow. He was surprised. I said I do not want winter tires. He said I would never put winter tires on that car anyway. I just am writing this for everyone's info, if you're interested. Chats1
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    keep in mind you need to reference the TPC code on the tire when replacing the stock Bridgestones, not just that it's a 050A

"I did call Bridgestone though and they didn't have the right size of our tires in their computer. They had for the rears REO50, not REO50A. "
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    I now know the hiss/hum that some of you have been complaining about... I went to get something out of the GXP the other night. It was dead silent in the garage and I open the door and as I was looking around inside for what I needed, I heard a faint "sssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" sort of like a radio that is in between channels, but very faint. It lasted for maybe a minute or so and then stopped. I must admit, that some of you either have excellent hearing or yours is definitely louder than mine. It is definitely something to do with the radio or OnStar. Since my radio/stereo was turned off, I suspect it was OnStar. It doesn't bother me any, but for conspiracy theorists - Big Brother is using OnStar to keep track of us! ;)
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do know about that TPC number and I mentioned that to him also. I know it is important because that shows that it's a genuine GXP tire. I would completely check all the numbers anyway before I had any tire mounted. I think I'll stick to the dealer though. They said only one day to get the tire; Bridgestone said 2-5 days. Ugh!!! My tire's fine though; the plug worked; no leakage. Thanks.
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    Ive got a rattle in the headliner around my sunroof on the gxp. It seems to be worse when its in the tilt position, or when the cover is open. Does anyone have or had this problem? If so, what was the cure?
  • pckeenanpckeenan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT and have noticed a high pitched whining noise that increases at low speed accelerations. I've also noticed that when accelerating at low speeds, the engine drags/shutters.

Not sure if these two are related or separate problems.
  • boyonfireboyonfire Member Posts: 2
    If the rattle is by the actual moving roof section, it might be one of the tracks are slightly loose. If it is a new car it should still be under warranty right, so just take it back to the dealer and ask them when you get some time.

pckeenan, is it a whining noise or a hissing noise?
  • car_issues1car_issues1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 gran prix gt with 78,000 miles on it.

I have had a few sensors go bad and have replaced them no problem.

Over the last few months my car has been making these thumping or clunking noise in the front. I happens when put it into gear an move forwards, backwards, and turning the steering wheel while doing both of these. It also sometimes happens when I am braking. Haven't taken anywhere yet since I don't what is wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with the car that I know of except for the noise.

If anyone has any ideas what it is, it would be a lot of help.
  • pat2007pat2007 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Grand Prix SE has been doing the same thing. It doesn't make the noise when changing gears, it makes the clunk when I am backing up/turning right or left and moving forward/turning right or left. I have had the bearings replaced, the struts/shocks (new tires -needed those anyway, alignment. I have had the car in a tire shop (mistake) as well as a personal mechanic and they cannot determine what it is. If you find out what may be causing this, please let me know. Thanks.
  • pat2007pat2007 Member Posts: 2
    I've had this noise in the front (more to the front right) of my car for some time. It only makes the noise (sounds like a loud tin can noise or something that is loose) when I am accelerating. It stops when I take my foot off of the accelerator. I've had dealerships, personal mechanics look for the noise - they cannot duplicate it (of course) and cannot see anything loose or anything that may be making the noise. Would anyone have any ideas?
  • chriscafepresschriscafepress Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys...got a quick question...

I have an 05 GP. Everything is great except for one thing.

At 1000 RPM I can hear a vibration from what appears to be right in front of the glovebox. Does anybody know what this could be?

It only happens when holding steady at 1000 RPM?

Thanks in advance!
  • 07supercharged07supercharged Member Posts: 2
    Ok not sure if anyone else has had this problem. When I reach the speed of about 70 mph on up I can hear a howling sound now I am not sure which direction this is coming from, but I have narrowed it down from the front window cowl to the back rear, maybe a tire or something. My window cowl is actually loose. Now I was told this is the way all GP are made. So far in the mean time it is driving me nuts. I thought it might be comeing from the cowl maybe the wind is hitting it at a angle so that the faster I go the louder the noise gets. Has anyone come across this?
  • 07supercharged07supercharged Member Posts: 2
    I have a 07 Grand Prix GT. I wish I could help you with this. Unfortinetly I am having the same problem when I am backing out of the parked position or pulling out while turning the wheel I can feel and hear a rubbing or clunking sound come from the front tires. The dealer said that they can not find what is wrong with it. Anyone else having this problem?
  • mike189mike189 Member Posts: 24
    as a owner of a 2001 gtp special edition coupe,i can say you made a great choise in vehicles,but did you ever think that the dummy in the mustang or cobra wishes he had what you have????/mustangs and cobras are cheap cars,quality wise,they have no class,they all look and sound the same ,nothing i mean nothing special,they are a dime a dozen,thats why they sit on dealers lots .better yet,go into edmunds and look at the forums on mustangs,i laughed my butt off,they hve more problems then the beatles have hair,no grandprixs attract another breed of people,people with class,that just wont settle for anything,because if you did ,you would have bought a mustang to begin with ,and you are too old to play with toys,you have a great car,smile you earned it,and i say it with pride,mustangs suck,over priced escorts with a v-8,wowwwwwwww ,im scccaaarrreeeddddd
  • msmishmsmish Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 Grand Prix and wanted to know what is that annoying whining noise I hear when I turn! Does anyone else have this problem? As I continue to drive it subsides but it still bothers me. :confuse:
  • kevin41kevin41 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 06 program Grand Prix in December with 28xxx and have enjoyed the car. But of course after the 36,000 mile warranty goes by problems arise. First as summer came on I notice the engine becoming sluggest and surging as you give it gas. It idles smooth and seems to run down the interstate fine. Then the steering became a issue, when you turn it feels like something is giving and kind of a elastic feeling. Called the dealer and he thinks its the steering shaft????? I'm coming back to GM from a bad experience with a 96 cavalier that was a lemon. Had great luck for the last 10 years with Ford and decided to give Pontiac a try. If anyone has had similar issues please let me know, really like the car but seems like alot of problems right off the bat.

Kevin
  • ajohn79ajohn79 Member Posts: 2
    Tell me you found out what this is! I've been having this same issue. I've narrowed mine down to coming from the front drivers side, but can't find what it is. My howl generally kicks in around 70mph, depending on the wind conditions. On windy days it can start at 55mph. With no wind, sometimes there's no howl at all at 100mph. It's to the point now that I'm going to have to get rid of the car if I can't fix the problem.
    Sorry but so far I haven't. I've been told that it could be my power steering going out. I've had so many other problems with this car that I haven't had the chance to check it out! I'm so disappointed with this car that I can't stand to drive it.
  • chinagbudchinagbud Member Posts: 1
    I have the 06 3800 as well and I'v been having the same problems. First was the steering popping noise during turning at low speeds, I've been told the steering box needs to be greased or replaced. As for the surging during takeoffs, it happened to me today for the first time, freaked me out. I let the car cool off , then made sure the spark plug connectors where tight. I drove again and it was fine. The surging is electrical. Also, I noticed when the sluggish takeoff was happening, the battery was only charging at 12.5 volts, it usually charges at 14. Maybe thats another problem. Let me know if you find out anything else.
    Well i found out alot. I took it to a Pontiac dealership and had to have my steering box replaced. Ever since then there has been no noise. The sluggish problem turned out to be my catalytic converter had to be replaced. Also had to replace my computer. Next it was the O2 sensors! Had them changed twice within the last 4 weeks and engine light continued to come on! So finally the diagnostic tests showed that my Mass Air Flow Sensor needed to be changed. Just got that done today so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong with this car. It seems to me that once one thing goes out, everything goes out! I've put over $5,000 in this car over the last 2 months (parts and labor)! I can understand that eventually I was gonna start to have problems due to high mileage but I wasn't expecting all of that. Made sure everything was serviced at the right time and changed my oil every 3,000 miles faithfully. I'm so disappointed in this car now. Good Luck with yours. :sick:
  • wikiwiki Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2007 GP used w/ a good 26000 on it and the first thing I noticed was that weird sound coming from the front tires. I know it's not the engine compartment noise or even the engine itself because I stopped accelerating and the noise was there. I didn't notice this when I test drove the car because I was trying some of my cd's at the time and it covered that weird noise. It's not much but it's just there. I didn't buy a 4 cyl camry or a 4 cyl fusion because the engine noise was invading the cabine, but this is also bothering me. So, if you're looking for an answer, I guess I'm not your guy. I'll post it here if I get one.
  • dmaddodmaddo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Grand Prix CompG with the same problem. Took car to dealership for service, found out whinning sound was power steering pump going out. The sound would not go away with fluid level at proper level, so dealer went ahead and replaced the pump. Hope this helps...
    This might be the same problem that I just had fixed on my GXP a few months ago. I could hear and feel something in the steering shaft that felt like something was loose. I took it to the dealer, and they said it was the Independent Steering Shaft (ISS). While they were working on it, I researched it on the net, and found a lot of GM vehicles were having this same problem. The "cheap" fix was to just relube the shaft with a thicker grease to keep the clunking noise to a minimum. This shaft is a shorter piece that connects the steering shaft to the steering box. The "clunk" is the necessary space needed for one shaft to slide in and out of the other shaft. Luckily my dealer replaced this shaft instead of relubing it, and I have not heard or felt the sound since! Hooray!
  • johnny_rottenjohnny_rotten Member Posts: 12
    Just thought you all might find this useful.

Bulletin No.: 01-02-32-001J

Date: June 08, 2007

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Clunk Felt/Noise Heard From Steering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front Of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Lubricate or Replace Intermediate Shaft As Appropriate)

Models:
    2001-2004 Buick Regal
    2005-2007 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse
    1997-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
    2000-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
    1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    1997-2005 Pontiac Sunfire
    2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to include I-shaft part number (P/N 25829293) for the 2000-2005 Monte Carlo. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-0011 (Section 02 - Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360°of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.

Cause

This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft which results in a slip stick condition possibly resulting in the clunk noise.

Diagnostic Tip

This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern.

Engineering Investigation shows that numerous steering gears have been misdiagnosed and replaced. The investigations shows that if the technician incorrectly diagnoses the steering gear as the cause of the noise and/or clunk during replacement of the steering gear, the technician may cycle the I-shaft, distributing the original grease in the I-shaft. This distribution of the original I-shaft grease may temporarily eliminate the I-shaft clunk so that the technician believes the noise and/or clunk is corrected with the steering gear replacement and returns the vehicle to the customer. After the customer drives the vehicles for several miles and dissipates the original grease, the noise may return.

Attempt to duplicate the customer's concern and isolate the I-shaft by following the procedure below:

Locate a large area (parking lot) where the vehicle can be turned in a tight circle.

Turn the steering wheel to the right and/or left all the way to the steering lock, then off the steering lock a 1/4 turn. Drive the vehicle approximately 5 km/h (3 mph) in a circle, preferably over rough pavement or seams on the road surface. If a clunk is felt in the steering wheel, the MOST likely cause is the I-shaft - not the steering gear. Continue with the correction.

Correction

Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.

Replace the existing steering intermediate shaft using the service procedure found in Service Information. The remaining vehicles listed below will still need to have the current I-shafts re-lubricated. New I-shafts will be released later in 2007 for some of the remaining vehicles.

Remove the intermediate steering shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the shaft with a Steering Column Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098237. Follow the service procedure listed below.

Remove the steering intermediate shaft from the vehicle. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in the appropriate Service Manual.

Fully extend the intermediate shaft by pulling the two shafts apart.

Apply the grease supplied in the Steering Column Shaft Lubrication Kit in the aluminum end of the yoke opening. Direct the syringe tip as deep as possible into the yoke and dispense the full content of the syringe.

Install the rubber stop plug from the Steering Column Shaft Lubrication kit into the yoke opening.

Secure the rubber plug by swinging the upper yoke 90°. One ear of the yoke should press the rubber plug in.

Make sure the intermediate shaft is being pressed over the ears of the solid shaft.

Use a hard surface to ease the collapse of the intermediate shaft. It is best to use a pumping action when collapsing the shaft. Collapse the shaft as far as possible.

Remove the rubber stopper plug from the yoke end of the shaft.

Slowly extend the intermediate shaft apart.

Inspect the intermediate shaft for a minimum of 5 mm (0.2 in) (a) of grease on the shaft splines.

Repeat Steps 4-9 if less than 5 mm (0.2 in) of grease is on the shaft splines.

Before installing the intermediate shaft in the vehicle, make sure to stroke and extend the intermediate shaft at least 15 TIMES to completely lubricate the internal surface of the slip joint.

Reinstall the intermediate shaft into the vehicle. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in the appropriate Service Manual.
  • frozenjefffrozenjeff Member Posts: 2
    I have all of these same problems. 2006 Grand Prix with 50,000 miles. I have the clunking that no mechanic can figure out, but I will have the dealer try the above solution. I also have that battery volt problem, Ive tried this. I got a battery brush, cleaner and protectant and cleaned up the battery and the terminals really good. Now this seems to keep my volts up. Maybe a dealer battery is just dying already, I never really heard anything about GM delco batteries before, but you never know. If anybody has battery problems with a different kind of battery, sears die hard, walmart, autozone, etc, let me know as it might be another flaw with the car. Also, my car is very sluggish, and this helped. I did this at my last oil change. I put a motor flush in it, ran it for 5 mins and drained the oil. I also put a slick 50 syntec in it becuase it has teflon in it and it is good to put one in at 50,000 miles because they warranty your engine, esp if your like me and your warranty ran out and I only ever put synthetic blend oil in my car because I have used the cheap oil for all my old cars and the dealer told me to put this in because it improves gas milage. I did not believe them, so it was saying I was avg 24.4 miles a galon when i bought it, well i did my first oil change and put cheap oil in it, and my avg mile dropped to 21.6, so now i stick with syntetic blend. I also cleaned my fuel injectors and throttle body at 50,000 miles and you should have seen how dirty thaat was, not it drives like brand new. But the problem I have is like my gas pedal sticks and when you let off the gas and go to push it slightly it don go and then it goes and gives alot of gas. What should I do for this? I can stand going slow it sticks and then takes off, sometimes it shifts really odd too, I didnt read anything about transmission problems, but if anybody has had transmissions problems let me know too. I really think I am going to purchase an extended warranty because it seems like this car has alot of problems, so if you go to carchex.com they are actually not priced very bad, for about $100 dollars down, and $100 a month for 11 months there after you can actually get like a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty and that isnt bad priced, i think that is what i am going to do since i cant afford to trade it in with a loan on it andchance losing more money and ending up with a bigger car payment and high car insurance. What do you all think
  • frozenjefffrozenjeff Member Posts: 2
    I have all of these same problems. 2006 Grand Prix with 50,000 miles.It was an amazing to drive car when I first got it. It was a GM Certified car i bought with 11,000 miles on it, previously was a rental car. Now I am gettign all these problems. I have the clunking that no mechanic can figure out, but I will have the dealer try the above solution. I also have that battery volt problem, Ive tried this. I got a battery brush, cleaner and protectant and cleaned up the battery and the terminals really good. Now this seems to keep my volts up. Maybe a dealer battery is just dying already, I never really heard anything about GM delco batteries before, but you never know. If anybody has battery problems with a different kind of battery, sears die hard, walmart, autozone, etc, let me know as it might be another flaw with the car. Also, my car is very sluggish, and this helped. I did this at my last oil change. I put a motor flush in it, ran it for 5 mins and drained the oil. I also put a slick 50 syntec in it becuase it has teflon in it and it is good to put one in at 50,000 miles because they warranty your engine, esp if your like me and your warranty ran out and I only ever put synthetic blend oil in my car because I have used the cheap oil for all my old cars and the dealer told me to put this in because it improves gas milage. I did not believe them, so it was saying I was avg 24.4 miles a galon when i bought it, well i did my first oil change and put cheap oil in it, and my avg mile dropped to 21.6, so now i stick with syntetic blend. I also cleaned my fuel injectors and throttle body at 50,000 miles and you should have seen how dirty thaat was, not it drives like brand new. But the problem I have is like my gas pedal sticks and when you let off the gas and go to push it slightly it don go and then it goes and gives alot of gas. What should I do for this? I can stand going slow it sticks and then takes off, sometimes it shifts really odd too, I didnt read anything about transmission problems, but if anybody has had transmissions problems let me know too. I really think I am going to purchase an extended warranty because it seems like this car has alot of problems, so if you go to carchex.com they are actually not priced very bad, for about $100 dollars down, and $100 a month for 11 months there after you can actually get like a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty and that isnt bad priced, i think that is what i am going to do since i cant afford to trade it in with a loan on it andchance losing more money and ending up with a bigger car payment and high car insurance. What do you all think
    Junk is right! Well my gas pedal also started to stick and would eventually just take off. It also was sluggish. Come to find out i needed to replace the carburetor! Needless to say i was very angry. It seemed like every other day my engine light was coming on. All my sensors were failing. Loved this car in the beginning. Drove perfect but after 50,000 miles it started acting up. Dont know why. Made sure I kept up all the maitnence on the car. Flushes, injector cleaned, tune up; and its still breaking my heart! Making some kinda weird noise when i accelerate. Like something rusted somewhere. So i wish u the best of luck. If you here anything new let me know so i can be prepared! LOL
  • ajohn79ajohn79 Member Posts: 2
    This car is really falling apart on me. 2004 with 55K. Check engine lights, weird noises, funny thumps. Looks like it'll be better to just replace it at this point.
  • stephen67stephen67 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Grand prix has been making a creaking noise when putting into drive. If I put my foot on the break while in drive and goose the engine it makes the noise too. Resently it started making it when excelerating and breaking. Does this sound like the bottom engine mount???
  • tightnuptightnup Member Posts: 1
    depending on the milage and the delivery date of your car the control unit and the catalyst should have been covered under the 8 year 80,000 mile federal emissions warranty. if you had it done at the dealer they should have advised you i would contact them if you fall under 8/80 if you had it done at an indepedant shop`you maybe out of luck
    k
  • jpeter01jpeter01 Member Posts: 1
    After researching this issue with my Pontiac Grand Prix (04), I was happy to read about the same problem being experienced with the steering.

I also get a "service variable effort steering" message displayed.

I took it to the dealership, and they told me it was due to worn front wheel/hub bearings. After replacing both, the problem did not go away.

I then took it to Gerald's Tires to get an all wheel alignment, and the mechanic said that it could be a problem with the intermediate shaft in the steering column.

Did the dealership charge you for the replacement....was there a warranty issued for this problem.....?