Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Elantra First Impressions

Comments

• z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Posts: 101
    UPDATE: I just got back from a test drive, and the SE I drove had Kumho Solus KH16 tires. Looks like a good tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Solus+KH16

BTW, the 16" flangeless alloy wheels are really nice!

The electic power steering is not nice. It's light at all speeds, overly sensitive at highway speed, and has almost no road feel. Other than the steering, the car handles nice -- it's not "floaty" like Hyundais used to be. The car is very solid and quiet, but the engine is rough when you push it.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Tell us more! Especially how it compares to the Gen 3 Elantra (if you have driven it) and other cars in this class.
  • That's what I was thinking, too -- bring out the new car now, then change the powertrain a few years down the road to curb any major reliability issues. But maybe Hyundai's not thinking that way -- look at the Sonata. Two new engines, new car, new assembly plant. Now that's risky!
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    Kind of, but think about it: Keeping the Beta longer for the Elantra make sense because it is already tooled, the factory is familiar with it, yada yada yada.

In the case of the new factory, why tool up for an old engine when the workers there are no more familiar with it than they are with any other one?
  • I had the privilege of getting to drive one of the two Elantras that made it into the nearest Hyundai dealership in Austin, TX. I was very impressed with the vehicle in the test drive. The one I got to drive was the GLS with the preferred options package and automatic. I have been researching this vehicle for a month online, even went to the Korean website to get details of things that won't make it to the USA version.

The vehicle is "rock solid" quiet, and a pleasure to drive. Pictures don't do the vehicle justice. One of our vehicles is a 2005 Camry LE V6, and not only is the new Elantra equal in cabin space, it is just as quiet when being driven. The engine seemed to have plenty of pep to me. I inadvertently got it up to 75 in a 60 zone and didn't realize it. The steering feedback seemed fine to me. We plan on purchasing an Elantra Limited in a few months, when it will be possible to get one WITHOUT a Sun roof! You need a sun roof in Texas about like Minnesnowda needs another snow flake in winter.
    Not sure why you wouldn't want a sunroof in Texas. I'd think it would be pretty useful 7-8 months out of the year, and also cracking it in the summer to let heat out when parked. But then I'm a fresh-air guy. I had the windows open on my rental last week in Austin even though temps were close to 90.

How was the handling of the Elantra vs. the '05 Camry? I hope it was crisper, and the ride not as floaty as the Camry's.
    The deal with sunroofs in Texas: There is a shade that keeps the sun from coming directly into the cabin, sure, but there is a small air space between the shade and sunroof itself which gets hotter than he||. That little pocket of hot air bleeds through the shade (which isn't very well insulated) and into the cabin. A sunroof heats up a car quite a bit.
    After the interior hits 150 degrees from the sun pouring in the car's eight other windows, what's the difference? ;)
    That's what window tint is for. Seriously.
    Except on the windshield, and (in many states) the front side windows.

I suppose you could put heavy window tint on the sunroof glass too, right? :)
    Look, I'm just telling you the way it is. In Texas, in the heat of the summer, a sunroof results in a net heat gain in the car, both when parked and when driven.
  • This old guy is thoroughly confused by this mess in the Hyundai Elantra section. What on earth happened ???? Why ??? This has to be one of the biggest messes I have ever seen. What happened to the normal comments, etc that have been here? What happened to: MPG,hatchbacks,etc and the other "regular" questions? If someone has to look through multiple pages of lists to find anything, the whole thing will fall apart.
    Just my opinion. van ?????????????????????????????????
  • Two Elantras (black and gray) were at a local dealer this morning as I did my drive-thrus of various lots. I was VERY impressed with this vehicle. It looks nothing like the Corolla and the interior was very upscale. Frankly, I like the interior far better than the Civics as the Civics emerg. brake looks intrusive and silly when engaged and the two-tier dash is awkward. The Elantra also looked very spacious with high quality materials. I loved the black dash with faux aluminum trim. The buttons were very large and it just looked more expensive than the $16k on the window. The interior IMO is executed much better than big-brother, Sonata. The exterior is very Lexus IS like. A huge upscale improvement for this car and this is going to reestablish the Elantra as the top seller for Hyundai.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Those discussions are still there. Everything is on one page at this link: Hyundai Elantra. If you go read my post at this link pat, "2007 Hyundai Elantra" #1248, 17 Oct 2006 9:14 am you'll see the best way to keep up with new posts now.

If you have questions, drop me an email or post them in the Forums Software discussion. We don't want to disrupt the conversation here.

Everything's going to be fine. I promise! ;)
  • Are the models arriving now equipped with the standard XM. Ihave a Pilot with XM and want it in my daughters car too. I am getting an Elantra Limited or and SE with sun and sound package. Fully equipped the car isn't much over $18k. This is a steal.
    The two Elantras I saw on the dealer's lot the other day didn't have XM and the sales rep said it would be "soon". Also hyundaiusa.com has the XM and MP3 features flagged for "late availability"--whatever that means. But I expect it means cars arriving at dealers right now don't have XM.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Has anyone seen a SE model or any 2007 Elantra with a manual transmission?
  • Both of the ones I saw in NEPA were automatic.
    If it helps, there's a closeup of the shift console at hyundaiusa.com. Looks like a classy shift ball, but I see a reverse pull-up ring has been added for 2007.

The web site was recently changed and now you can "build your own" there--a lot more info than what was there pre-release.

This is the config I'd be most interested in also--SE with stick--assuming the shift action is at least as good as it was on my '01 Elantra. Did you notice that 5th gear is quite tall--taller even than 4th gear on the automatic. I am hoping that translates into relaxed highway cruising and good highway fuel economy for the stick.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    We got to test drive a beige se with manual transmission. The reverse pull up ring was very easy to use. Reverse is now near first gear. Shifting seemed to be alot smoother than on our 05. the dealer had 2 other 07's both gls with automatic.a red and black one. Overall were quite impressed with it. We asked about getting one with a sunroof. They told us that with that package it came with heated seats.
    Can you compare the shift/clutch feel to any other cars besides the '05 Elantra, e.g. have you driven a Mazda3 or Civic stick? Did you notice how high the revs were on the freeway? How about engine noise? One thing I noticed with the Gen 3 Elantra is that the automatic was quieter and lower-revving on the highway (by about 10%) than the manual.
    The shifting on the new elantra was as good as on our 05 civic. We plan to test drive the mazda's this weekend so I will give you my opinion then. We used to own a 1991, bought new, Mazda MX-6 GT with manual. When we sold it, it had almost 250,000 miles on it, with the original clutch,engine, turbo. It was great for racing other cars on the highway even with all the miles it had. We used nothing put regular gas even tho it called for premium. No problems.
    As good as a '05 Civic? That is very good to hear--the Civic has one of the best stick shifts in the class, if not the best (the Mazda3's is pretty darn good also IMO).
    we test drove the mazda 3 today. I thought the shifting was a bit too stiff. I guess once you get used to it, it would be o.k. The civic seems to be the best but the new elantra can now compete with it. We also test drove the mazdaspeed 6. That was excellant but the price tag was not.
    What did you think of the ride and handling of the Mazda3 vs. the new Elantra? From reviews I'm expecting the Mazda3 will have a big advantage in handling, with the Elantra the smoother ride.

I'll bet the Mazdaspeed6 was a mite quicker/faster than the Elantra. ;)
    I agree totally with the reviews on the Mazda's 3 handling and the elantras smoother ride. The dealer for the mazda wanted $500 over invoice. Never would I pay that.You are right with the mite.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    You would not pay $500 over invoice? :surprise: :sick:

Why not? Dealers and salespeople need to make enough money to eat!
    we have never paid anything over invoice and we have bought numerous new cars. I sure we have done our part to feed the dealers and salespeople along with the service and finance departments.
    I meant to say $500 over the sticker price that is on the car
This discussion has been closed.