Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Elantra First Impressions

Comments

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    This may have been previously discussed (I didn't read back through all the posts), but after looking at a side view of the '07 Elantra, the wavy, curved crease that runs down the side of the body reminds me of the lines of the old (previous) Tiburon. To me, it seems like the '07 exterior design is almost a step back. The interior seems to definitely be improved, but I'm not sold on the exterior.
  • acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    To me, it looks wierd from the side, but frontal and rear views are a step-up.
    To me, I would eliminate it solely based on the side view. In my opinion, it's almost like Hyundai got it backwards with the Elantra...the '07 should have come before the previous generation (from an exterior standpoint).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    To me, the curved character line is one of the best styling features of the '07 Elantra. It makes the car stand out from all the slab-sided small cars.

If you look at the old Tiburon, the curves are more fender flares than the front-to-back "wave" on the Elantra. And the Tibby's curves are much more pronounced--over the top, IMO. I don't see any resemblence to the Elantra's sides except for the fact they both have some curves there.

But if you can't stand it, that's just the way it is. There are a handful of vehicles that I would nix just based on styling. But the Elantra isn't one of them.
  • geoelectricgeoelectric Member Posts: 10
    Dunno if you've seen it in person, but you should reserve judgment until you have. For some reasons, photographs don't seem to represent the styling well. The character lines are much more natural looking in person.
  • bill112bill112 Member Posts: 6
    Just drove an SE today. Have been reading reviews and am interested in making a new car purchase in the next month or so.

I liked the exterior--it's got a nice, updated look to it.

Interior seemed very well put together. Fabric seats were nicely done--I saw none of the wrinkles that another poster noted. Driving experience was generally good. Sat up a little higher than I would have liked, but I didn't try adjusting the seat lower--the option is there. Acceleration (automatic transmission) was decent for a car of this class. Nice turning radius. Brakes were good. Visibility was very good. Controls were very intuitive.

One note: After reaching the top of a long (~2 mile) grade, stopped to execute a U-turn. As I stopped, the car was enveloped by a cloud of blue (oil) smoke. Salesman said it was due to factory servicing in Korea and would burn off. Seemed a bit circumspect--particularly as the car already had 40 miles on the odometer--but I didn't see it again during the remainder of the test drive.

Electric-assist steering was very responsive--almost sensitive. But I got used to it quickly. Didn't really notice it much at all after a few minutes.

Very roomy cabin and huge trunk. No body side moulding on any model. Would suspect the sides will sustain a lot of parking lot dings.

Tons of features on this thing--safety and otherwise. There's even a fold-down center armrest in the back seat with cup holders. Kind of cool. For the price, I'm very tempted, particularly considering the warranty.

There were only two Elantras on the lot--a GLS and the SE. They hadn't seen any Limiteds yet. I told the salesman right off that I wouldn't be buying that day. He didn't care. He was great, not pushy at all and very informative. He was pleased with his own product. Offered to sale the SE at invoice.

Already own a Mazda 3S that I'll be keeping. In comparison, the Mazda seems more solid/sturdy/powerful. But the Elantra is significantly less expensive, has more features and...well, I don't want two cars of the same make.

Regards,
    Bill
  • geoelectricgeoelectric Member Posts: 10
    My cloth driver's seat (SE) has some wrinkles after 850 miles. They're not awful (though I have nothing really to compare to, this being the first new car) but it's plainly showing a little wear. It's possible that my next detailing will smooth them down a bit. Whatever the case, I'm hoping it's an early plateau.

Yes, door dings scare me too. I'm not actually a big moulding fan, aesthetically, but from a practical point of view it'd be nice.

Dunno about that blue smoke. I got mine with 200 miles on it, since it had to be driven in from upstate. But any oil smoke in a brand new car (particularly one that got its early break-in from test drives!) would scare the heck out of me.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Hyundai sprays something similar to cosmoline on the underside of their cars, above and beyond the rustproofing waxed-base undercoating, to protect the cars during marine shipping from South Korea. This material gets on the catalytic converter heat shield and the exhaust system, so it does burn off while driving for a time after purchase. How many miles does it take to burn off, I don't know, but the salesman's comment was valid.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    BMW cars always used to have a strange odor when new too.
    The problem with the Hyundai gorp is that it is so bad smelling and so long lasting that it permeates the interior of the car as it very s l o w l y burns off. The upholstery, foam, carpet and the other interior materials soak those vapors up so your car has the stench for a year or two or more. The most noticeable to me was a 2000 model. Later years, 2003,4,and 5 were nowhere near as stinky and not for very long either.
    I really kinda wonder too if breathing the stuff has ever been tested as to health effects on humans or animals.
    I got to drive a 2007 Elantra GLS AT for a couple of days this week; here are my impressions:

backy, "The Forums Test Drive Team" #189, 1 Feb 2007 6:46 pm
  • slip7slip7 Member Posts: 7
    Well I just bought an SE MT. There is a $500 rebate as of this writing. I could only get the dealer to knock off $200. I picked this car over a Honda Civic, Pontiac G5, Ford Fuzion, Dodge Caliber, Saturn Ion, and a Jeep Compass. The Jeep Compass came the closest, but a bit higher in price. The wife and I took a test ride in the Elantra just for giggles. I was pleasantly suprised. So much so that I bought one. I will give a full assesment after a while of ownership.
    Congrats on your new car! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. The SE MT is the trim I am most interested in.

One question: I read in Edmunds.com's review of the Elantra that the MT had some issues for them: "...the clutch take-up for the five-speed manual transmission is numb at best and grabs as it engages." However, all other reviews of the Elantra MT that I've read have been complimentary on the smoothness of the stick shifter and didn't mention numbness or grabbiness. What do you think about the MT?
    Smooth as butter. Honestly, It is the easiest car to shift that I have ever driven. I test drove a Honda Civic coupe that had a manual tranny and wasn't impressed at all. Jerky is the best way to describe it. I have been driving manual transmission cars for the last twenty five years, so I am a good judge. The Elantra is geared perfectly. The torque curve of this motor lends itself well to a manual transmission. I can be in 5th gear with the motor spinning at 2500 rpm's at around 45 mph and not feel the need to down shift. I only have 80 miles on the car so far, but this is one slick shifting sweet ride. I think it is going to make a fun commuter.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Is that a typo? 5th gear @ 45 mph = 2500 rpm's?
    Not a typo. Somewhere near this. I will have to recheck again for accuracy.
    I don't see how the RPMs could be 2500 at only 45 mph, in 5th gear. That would mean the gearing on the 2007 is MUCH different than on the 2001-6 models. It would also mean I won't be considering a 5-speed! If RPMs are 2500 @ 45, I can only imagine what they'd be at 70. The RPMs on the automatic, for comparison, are (approximate):

2100 @ 60 mph
    2400 @ 70 mph
    2700 @ 80 mph
  • ginns5ginns5 Member Posts: 16
    I bought a Red SE.Had to have it driven from Round Rock TX to San Antonio.Very hard to find an SE.Upgraded tires to a top line Goodyear 225 x 60,found the mud flaps front and rear in Rochester NY Hyundai dealer, found side moldings at Sportwing.com so the side does not get dinged by other doors(a real design flaw).Price paid was about where I wanted it with $1000 rebate (but know that was only to get the paper signed).Overall, very very satisfied.Little things - a light under the door lock switch and the window lock switch would be a help.Feel the manual is very complicated, do not like the layout of the service intervals in the service manual.Would like to have had struts hood and trunk, but!!.Be nice to tell you how to find the telescopic portion of wheel, which works well.Solidly built.Would like to find the speed initiated locking of doors, but hard to find if car has it or not.Only not working is trunk unlock from key fob.All else in working order.Good HVAC controls, but do not like to default to outisde air.(ala GM)Prefer to set my own.
    The telescopic wheel feature is one big reason I prefer the SE over the GLS (which doesn't have a telescopic wheel).

Awhile ago I remember seeing on the Web someplace a tech manual for the 2007 Elantra that showed settings for the automatic door locks. If it's anything like the Sonata, it requires the dealer to set them. So you might call the service department for your dealer and ask them about it.

On the trunk, have you checked in the trunk to make sure that there's not some switch in there that deactivates the lock button on the key fob? It could have been tripped accidently. I've seen other cars with that kind of switch; maybe the Elantra has one also.

Are the side moldings you got painted to match the car? How much did they cost?
    I love the 8-way adjustments on the older Elantra. Does an '07 LX have 8 way electric driver's seat? Anyone try one?
    Do you mean the Limited? It has the manual height adjuster just like other Elantras. I guess they want to give you another reason to move up to a Sonata. ;)

I can't think of too many power driver's seats in this class. I don't think the Civic or Corolla have one, for example. You can get the Jetta with a 12-way power seat, but the lowest list price for one so equipped is nearly $21k.
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking about sonata, but hoping the Elantra had 8-way also in Limited trim. I don't care much about the power, but I do like the duo-tilting seat cushion.
    I wonder why Elantra dropped its nice seat adjusters they had up through '06. If it was just to save a few dollars per car, I think it was a bad move. I have to believe most people prefer the 8-way and would pay a few dollars more to get it.
    Since Hyundai's lowest priced car sold in the U.S. (Accent) has the dual-knob height adjuster, I don't think it's about cost. Maybe they've done some consumer studies and most buyers prefer the ease of the single-lever ajuster, which just about every other new car with a manual seat height adjuster has. I like the dual adjustments myself even it if takes a little more time to set them. Some people with low grip strength (or arthritis maybe) may have problems with the knobs.
    Side moldings - took my paint code, will be to match the car.Cost with frieght about $150.00
    Will check on the door lock thing, have heard that too
    And thought of trunk deactivate, haven;t found that button yet.
    The other thing I can think of is that some of these trunk lock release buttons take a long push before they engage, I suppose to prevent inadvertent activation. I have been fooled by this "feature" on rental cars before; I tried pushing the button and thought it was broken, and finally pushed and held the button a couple of seconds and it worked.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    My dealer told me that the door locks cannot be programed on the 2007 Elantra. I hope they're wrong and you're right. Please let me know what you find out.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I'm curious, did you get a better price from the Round Rock dealership than the ones in San Antonio?
    Concerning an earlier post about rpms, my bad, I don't know what I was looking at. Checked this morning. The motor was spinning at 1600 rpms at 40mph in 5th gear without the motor bogging. I now have 500 miles on the car and am averaging 38 mpg on the interstate. The darned check engine light came on. Brought it to Autozone, and the code indicated that the idle speed had a problem. I cleared it with my code reader, and haven't seen it since. BTW, the electrically assisted steering is a thing of beauty.
    38 mpg, that's good for an automatic, especially with a new engine. What speeds do you usually cruise at on the highway?
    I have a 5 speed tranny in my Elantra. I observe the trip computer often and noticed hitting 42 mpg average at one time. I usually cruise at 70-75 mph.
    don't rely on trip computer for anything but entertainment
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    we own a 05 gt and find the trip computer very accurate. We check the mileage manually and it is the same as the trip computer. We have 51,000 miles on the car Even our 03 GT trip computer was good.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    You're lucky. My 05 GT Elantra trip computer is about 4-5 mpg too optimistic. Today with manual calculation I got 29.88 mpg and computer showed I average 34.1 mpg. 4 mpg off.
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Well,
    After finally test driving the new 2007 Elantra SE and seeing
    the MUCH improved interior and the smoothness of the ride, I
    decided to trade in my 2005 Elantra GLS Moonlight Blue and
    purchased the ELantra SE in Quick Silver Friday afternoon at
    Hyundai City in Burlington, NJ. After much haggling, the dealer
    gave me $8650.00 for my 2005 ELantra with 26900 miles in
    perfect condition!
    The 2007 SE is a wonderful car and im enjoying if very much
    so far!
    Backy, your are correct. The Elantra does indeed seem and
    appear to be a better built car than the Kia Spectra. So
    I was able to look pass the girly exterior once I got behind
    the wheel. It
    feels and drives like a much more expensive car!
    The San Antonio Dealer traded one of his cars for the Round Rock car.I am very satisfied with the deal I got.I had the trim and mud guards put on today, look tremendous, body color is very close on the trim.They are downloading the door lock program and I should be able to get it put on the Elantra when I go back in a couple of weeks
    Congrats on your new car! Manual or automatic?

But silver is a pretty mundane color (although I happen to like it). Have you thought about a custom paint job for it, maybe in "girly" pink? ;)
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Which dealership did you deal with and what was your out the door price? Was it an automatic or 5 speed?
    So you got $8650, but how much did you have to pay for the '07? Trade-in amounts don't mean much without full info on the deal.
    Backy....thanks, I think, for you sarcastic compliment. I
    thought that folks from MN are so nice, courteous and friendly??
    Anyway, I got the automatic.
    Joe131....Yes, I did get $8650.00 for my trade in and I
    paid 16,665.00 out the door price for the 2007.
    What was MSRP on the new car? What was price paid before adding tax and license?
    Most here will agree Backy is nice, courteous and friendly almost all the time. He is still practicing that walk on water thing though.
    Sorry if you were offended. My comment about the pink paint was meant all in fun... did you notice the wink at the end?
    Yes, I just now see the wink..thanks Backy. No offense taken.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    and taken things too serious from time to time, eh?

The '07 Elantra is a good car nonetheless.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Well, so far, after a full tank of gas and 5 days of driving
    my new 2007 Elantra SE, I have seen NO improvement in the
    MPG from my 2005 Elantra GLS. I think Hyundai's claim of
    28/36P MPG is wishful thinking! This is with very conservative
    driving in the suburbs of Central NJ
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Keep in mind a couple of things. First, it's not Hyundai's claim about fuel efficiency, it comes from the EPA. It's pretty widely accepted that, since they test under very unrealistic conditions, expecting to achieve what's on the sticker is usually going to disappoint.

The other thing is that with most vehicles fuel efficiency will improve as they get broken in.

So don't give up yet! :)
    "The other thing is that with most vehicles fuel efficiency will improve as they get broken in. "

Nodule - hang in there...like our host points out, this happens a lot. I have a previous generation Elantra with the same engine, and mine cranks out 30mpg consistently in mixed daily driving, with 37-39 being the norm on interstate trips. I am approaching 90K miles, and mine is an automatic.
  • acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    From my experience, it's easy to get 36 on highway. But not so easy to get 28 on local. I have been getting 26-27.5 on local raod with speed limits of 25-50.
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    so what are you getting for mpgs? i'm getting 26-27 for with only city driving (no highways). My 07 LTD has about 2300 miles on it, but the mileage has been the same since the day i drove it home.
    Currently on my 2007 SE with just 500 miles, im only getting
    about 25MPG in suburbs...pretty disappointing so far,I guess.
    Not necessarily. If the Beta engine in your Elantra acts anything like mine did, you'll see a significant improvement in fuel economy over the next few thousand miles, and continuing improvement (but less) as the car gets older. I saw about a 15% improvement overall after the first couple thousand miles. Add that onto your 25 mpg and it's up around 29 mpg. Also, what are the temperatures where you live right now? Cars get lower fuel economy in cold weather for a number of reasons. So you are driving the car under the worst possible conditions for FE right now--brand new engine, cold weather, and suburban (vs. highway) driving. Don't give up yet.
This discussion has been closed.