Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Elantra First Impressions

Comments

• joe131joe131 Posts: 972
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking about sonata, but hoping the Elantra had 8-way also in Limited trim. I don't care much about the power, but I do like the duo-tilting seat cushion.
    I wonder why Elantra dropped its nice seat adjusters they had up through '06. If it was just to save a few dollars per car, I think it was a bad move. I have to believe most people prefer the 8-way and would pay a few dollars more to get it.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Since Hyundai's lowest priced car sold in the U.S. (Accent) has the dual-knob height adjuster, I don't think it's about cost. Maybe they've done some consumer studies and most buyers prefer the ease of the single-lever ajuster, which just about every other new car with a manual seat height adjuster has. I like the dual adjustments myself even it if takes a little more time to set them. Some people with low grip strength (or arthritis maybe) may have problems with the knobs.
  • ginns5ginns5 Posts: 16
    Side moldings - took my paint code, will be to match the car.Cost with frieght about $150.00
    Will check on the door lock thing, have heard that too
    And thought of trunk deactivate, haven;t found that button yet.
    The other thing I can think of is that some of these trunk lock release buttons take a long push before they engage, I suppose to prevent inadvertent activation. I have been fooled by this "feature" on rental cars before; I tried pushing the button and thought it was broken, and finally pushed and held the button a couple of seconds and it worked.
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    My dealer told me that the door locks cannot be programed on the 2007 Elantra. I hope they're wrong and you're right. Please let me know what you find out.
  • I'm curious, did you get a better price from the Round Rock dealership than the ones in San Antonio?
  • slip7slip7 Posts: 7
    Concerning an earlier post about rpms, my bad, I don't know what I was looking at. Checked this morning. The motor was spinning at 1600 rpms at 40mph in 5th gear without the motor bogging. I now have 500 miles on the car and am averaging 38 mpg on the interstate. The darned check engine light came on. Brought it to Autozone, and the code indicated that the idle speed had a problem. I cleared it with my code reader, and haven't seen it since. BTW, the electrically assisted steering is a thing of beauty.
    38 mpg, that's good for an automatic, especially with a new engine. What speeds do you usually cruise at on the highway?
  • slip7slip7 Posts: 7
    I have a 5 speed tranny in my Elantra. I observe the trip computer often and noticed hitting 42 mpg average at one time. I usually cruise at 70-75 mph.
    don't rely on trip computer for anything but entertainment
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    we own a 05 gt and find the trip computer very accurate. We check the mileage manually and it is the same as the trip computer. We have 51,000 miles on the car Even our 03 GT trip computer was good.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Posts: 130
    You're lucky. My 05 GT Elantra trip computer is about 4-5 mpg too optimistic. Today with manual calculation I got 29.88 mpg and computer showed I average 34.1 mpg. 4 mpg off.
  • nodulenodule Posts: 118
    Well,
    After finally test driving the new 2007 Elantra SE and seeing
    the MUCH improved interior and the smoothness of the ride, I
    decided to trade in my 2005 Elantra GLS Moonlight Blue and
    purchased the ELantra SE in Quick Silver Friday afternoon at
    Hyundai City in Burlington, NJ. After much haggling, the dealer
    gave me $8650.00 for my 2005 ELantra with 26900 miles in
    perfect condition!
    The 2007 SE is a wonderful car and im enjoying if very much
    so far!
    Backy, your are correct. The Elantra does indeed seem and
    appear to be a better built car than the Kia Spectra. So
    I was able to look pass the girly exterior once I got behind
    the wheel. It
    feels and drives like a much more expensive car!
  • ginns5ginns5 Posts: 16
    The San Antonio Dealer traded one of his cars for the Round Rock car.I am very satisfied with the deal I got.I had the trim and mud guards put on today, look tremendous, body color is very close on the trim.They are downloading the door lock program and I should be able to get it put on the Elantra when I go back in a couple of weeks
    Congrats on your new car! Manual or automatic?

But silver is a pretty mundane color (although I happen to like it). Have you thought about a custom paint job for it, maybe in "girly" pink? ;)
  • Which dealership did you deal with and what was your out the door price? Was it an automatic or 5 speed?
    So you got $8650, but how much did you have to pay for the '07? Trade-in amounts don't mean much without full info on the deal.
    Backy....thanks, I think, for you sarcastic compliment. I
    thought that folks from MN are so nice, courteous and friendly??
    Anyway, I got the automatic.
    Joe131....Yes, I did get $8650.00 for my trade in and I
    paid 16,665.00 out the door price for the 2007.
    What was MSRP on the new car? What was price paid before adding tax and license?
    Most here will agree Backy is nice, courteous and friendly almost all the time. He is still practicing that walk on water thing though.
    Sorry if you were offended. My comment about the pink paint was meant all in fun... did you notice the wink at the end?
    Yes, I just now see the wink..thanks Backy. No offense taken.
  • and taken things too serious from time to time, eh?

The '07 Elantra is a good car nonetheless.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

Well, so far, after a full tank of gas and 5 days of driving
    my new 2007 Elantra SE, I have seen NO improvement in the
    MPG from my 2005 Elantra GLS. I think Hyundai's claim of
    28/36P MPG is wishful thinking! This is with very conservative
    driving in the suburbs of Central NJ
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Keep in mind a couple of things. First, it's not Hyundai's claim about fuel efficiency, it comes from the EPA. It's pretty widely accepted that, since they test under very unrealistic conditions, expecting to achieve what's on the sticker is usually going to disappoint.

The other thing is that with most vehicles fuel efficiency will improve as they get broken in.

So don't give up yet! :)
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    "The other thing is that with most vehicles fuel efficiency will improve as they get broken in. "

Nodule - hang in there...like our host points out, this happens a lot. I have a previous generation Elantra with the same engine, and mine cranks out 30mpg consistently in mixed daily driving, with 37-39 being the norm on interstate trips. I am approaching 90K miles, and mine is an automatic.
  • From my experience, it's easy to get 36 on highway. But not so easy to get 28 on local. I have been getting 26-27.5 on local raod with speed limits of 25-50.
  • nthenthe Posts: 414
    so what are you getting for mpgs? i'm getting 26-27 for with only city driving (no highways). My 07 LTD has about 2300 miles on it, but the mileage has been the same since the day i drove it home.
    Currently on my 2007 SE with just 500 miles, im only getting
    about 25MPG in suburbs...pretty disappointing so far,I guess.
    Not necessarily. If the Beta engine in your Elantra acts anything like mine did, you'll see a significant improvement in fuel economy over the next few thousand miles, and continuing improvement (but less) as the car gets older. I saw about a 15% improvement overall after the first couple thousand miles. Add that onto your 25 mpg and it's up around 29 mpg. Also, what are the temperatures where you live right now? Cars get lower fuel economy in cold weather for a number of reasons. So you are driving the car under the worst possible conditions for FE right now--brand new engine, cold weather, and suburban (vs. highway) driving. Don't give up yet.
This discussion has been closed.