Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Elantra First Impressions

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    i think both are unneccessary, but i know which one i prefer. I like figuring out my mileage, how fast i need to be going to get it is even less useless than the two things that my post is titled with. But a temp guage is a lot nicer for me; not checking stations or waiting for a digital sign to come up on the free way. There it is on the dash plain and simple.

A trip computer would sill lead me to calculating my own mileage, even if its just one off, so its like an unneccessary step; most people wouldn't look at their temp guage on their car and then tune into a station to hear it again, but A LOT of people will look at their trip computer and then re-figure it out all over again anyway. It seems like to much of a hassle for something that can range from slightly off, to very inaccurate.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,732
    Consider that measuring your own fuel economy at the pump doesn't tell you everything you might want to know. For example, suppose you want to know what the fuel economy of the car is when cruising on the highway? With a trip computer, that is very easy to measure. Much harder to measure accurately at the pump, because some of the miles won't be freeway cruising, and you will probably have to use two different stations with the inherent differences in pumps. So you will not get an accurate measure that way.

Since we are on the subject, I haven't found car thermometers to be very accurate.
    Since we are on the subject, I haven't found car thermometers to be very accurate.

Same goes for trip computers. I hear more complaints about that than about thermometers.

I drive mostly freeway anyway; what i'm getting driving JUST on the freeway seems a little nit picky and imo nerdy, even for somone who is into fuel economy. :blush:
    Here we go, degenerating into name-calling rather than sticking to the subject...

Maybe you think it's "nerdy", but I see questions all the time on Town Hall re "what mpg does Car X get when cruising on the highway?"

You probably see more complaints about trip computers because people care more about trip computers than about thermometers. I don't need some device to tell me how cold or hot it is--I can feel it. But I don't have a built-in mpg meter, so I find those useful. And kind of fun. Maybe that's "nerdy" too. I don't care.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    both actually unneccessary but since I have them I find them useful and both are extremely accurate. They both are great on trips to different areas. Other unnessary stuff: automatic windows, automatic transmission, power steering, brakes, sunroof, radio, cruise control, anything larger than a 4 cylinder engine, a/c, auto-dimmer rear-view mirrors, fog lights, and alot more. They are great things to have tho-but unneccessary.
    Brakes are uneccesary? :blush:
    I am sticking to the subject. I never called anyone nerdy. I said the act of being so picky about 'x car getting x milage when you drive it in an x way', nerdy.

We are still entitled to opinions right? Even if someone else dislikes them?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Yes, we are still entitled to opinions. My opinion is that we should be talking about the car and not each other. And my opinion is bigger than yours. ;)
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    POWER BRAKES BUT IF YOU WANT THE FLINTSTONE CAR NO. I love having the trip computer in my elantra-something the civic did not have or offer.Then again there are things I like in the civic. the way it shifted, the locking gas and trunk inside the car. I do not see very many new elantras so I am still used to the old style. When I did look at them I was impressed with all it did have inside. I was hoping they would get a 4-door 6-speed. Maybe, someone in hyundai land is reading this forum and will take my hint.
  • We just purchased a 2007 Elantra SE manual.
    After looking at practically every other small car, and test driving several, we choose the Elantra. It was not because it is the best car in any one area, but the sheer balance of performance, economy, safety, comfort and features. I have not driven a small car that is as quiet, including the Civic or Corolla. It seems like Hyundai has done their homework.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Congrats - enjoy and keep us posted! :)
  • edowadoedowado Posts: 10
    $16500 out the door including tax, license, and registration for a brand new, fully-equipped 2007 Elantra Limited w/ Sun & Sound Package.

Logged miles: 0 to test drive; still sitting on dealer lot awaiting our pickup from dealer trade.

Initial impressions:
    - great looking exterior, except for the fixed AM/FM radio antennae (built into window on XM equipped models).
    - colors wanted like seattle blue are very hard to find. settled for the second choice, only laguna sand color in LA and Orange County, CA. dealer traded.
    - like all the interior ammenities from lighted mirrirs to heated seats to sunglass/dash holders.
    - no XM standard as advertised. but available on *later models. boo.
    - did notice the ripple effect on the new leather on a car with 32 miles on it.
    - smooth, a little sluggish as expected acceleration compared to my 2003 Sonata LX V6 (161hp), yet quiet for a i4 compared to my sis' 2003 Corolla Sport.
    - inquired with two local Hyundai service managers about speedometer/odometer issue (see Elantra threads) and they have heard no such reports. will personally observe and see.
    - thought this was a new engine, but it seems now it's just the same engine from earlier 2006 model.
    FWIW, the 2007 Elantra uses the Beta engine from the previous generation, but with many tweaks for improved fuel economy and emissions. You may have noticed the 2007 is rated 4 mpg more than the '06, and the '07 is available as a PZEV--is that what you got, since you are in CA?

I see rippled leather on a lot of high-end luxury cars. The leather in my '04 Elantra is very tight and smooth-fitting, but Hyundai got knocked on that sometimes ("it's leather, but it looks like vinyl") so maybe that's why they went with the looser leather for '07.

Keep us updated on how it goes. Seattle Blue is my favorite also, with the beige (cloth) interior. I'll bet it looks really sharp with beige leather. :)
  • edowadoedowado Posts: 10
    Yes, PZEV in CA.

Good point about the leather. My 03 Sonata's leather is all vinly...

Looks like I'll be sticking with the Laguna Sand color.
  • I got my '07 Limited about 3 weeks ago and am pretty happy with it. However, when I go over a rough road service or a series of road bumps I hear something rattling or loose coming from the front driver's side. I brought the car in and they checked and tightened all the suspension bolts but I still hear it. Brought it back and they checked under the dashboard but of course on the way home I still heard the rattle. I am about to bring it back and wonder if someone has any ideas of what to check or possibly has had a similar experience. It sounds like it is coming from either the engine compartment or possibly in the cowl area.
  • nthenthe Posts: 414
    if the noise is in the glove box then it is from the dampers. the early built 07 elantras dampers were too small, and there is a tsb about it.
  • As an update to my front rattle noise I brought my car back and had the service manager take a ride with me. To my amazement it did rattle on some bumps and he heard it. After having several other mechanics test drive and inspect the vehicle, it was determined that the left front strut assembly was defective and they ordered a new assembly. They told me they overnighted the order and hopefully this will solve the problem when it's installed.
  • harlqnharlqn Posts: 18
    I bought my Elantra SE in Jan 07 (San Diego area, so it's the PZEV). It has about 3000 miles on it right now.

The MPG calculation actually comes up about 1 MPG short of my calc (based on trip odo). I reset the computer after each refill and use the same gas station. My typical driving is about 40/60 hwy/city, accounting for rush hour traffic and I tend to get 27-29 mpg per tank. I've had a couple 90/10 hwy/city tanks which got me up around 32-33. The mpg has increased about 1-2mpg since it was originally purchased, so I think there is a little something to post-break in improvement.

However, I will have to test my speedometer to see if it has the problem others have reported.

As for the original topic, I couldn't be happier with it. I'm 5'8", yet the Civic still felt cramped to me. I was even considering just living with that and making the plunge. However, after test driving the Elantra, just to "cover the bases", I was wowed. The biggest difference is the interior room. No cramping A-pillar like the Spectra, much better handling than the washy Corolla, and a lot less $$$ than the Civic (the SE's features fall somewhere between the Civic LX and EX). The Mazda3 and Sentra didn't do enough for me in the bang for the buck department, which was actually my biggest buying factor.

I won't list the final price, but I completely recommend the Costco auto buying program. The Elantra's price was under invoice where the Civic would have been even more over invoice (Costco prices are an adjustment to invoice price and the dealer is required to show you their invoice). That was before the $500 factory rebate (the dealer is currently displaying a $2000 rebate on this car). I had enough room left in my budget that I decided to add Lo jack with early warning because I would be up a major creek without a car.

I'll have to check about the alarm and the double button-pressing. The alarm that's installed has a control module near the steering column with 1 button. That button is supposed to be the difference between arming and not arming; while the only difference in pressing the FOB button 1 or 2 times is the horn. The alarm is by Karr.

The road noise level is more than acceptable. Under hard acceleration (which I tend to NOT do), the engine is a bit rough and the shifts are quite jarring. But what engine in this type of car isn't? The last car I spent any time in was a van, so anything would be better as far as handling. However, I would definitely put this car on par with the Civic, with the Civic having a stiffer ride, but not as stiff as the Scion tC. The Elantra's brakes are wonderful. They're a bit grabby when cold, but there is no noticeable fade. If you're not used to a sensitive brake pedal this would be a big adjustment.

I wouldn't try to put more than 4 adults in there (5 may even put you over the car's weight capacity), but those 4 are quite comfy. All of the controls are well-positioned and smooth. There are a couple switches that I wish were back lit on the doors, but otherwise, the console and gauges look great (as long as you don't still wish for the days of dashes without idiot lights).

The front door interiors (near the bottle holder) are a little prone to scuffing, but I'm still trying various methods of taking care of that. I haven't had any problems with a basic mini-to-mini aux audio cable, but Hyundai did send me the one with the huuuge (whatever it is) inline with the cable right out of the blue. I haven't had any seat cloth issues like the other poster, and no wrinkling beyond what you would expect after 3 months of commuter use.

This car is definitely NOT all things to all people. However, if you're looking for a good car in this price/size range, definitely consider the Elantra.
  • mrcellusmrcellus Posts: 52
    This is what I have been looking to read for awhile now since the new 07' elantras have been out for a minute now. Hopefully, the speedo problems are all worked out and any other bugs but I have not heard of too many others. This is why a Chevy man is moving over to Hyundai- this post alone hits the nail right with the hammer. Good heads up about the Costco purchasing program. Thanks Harlqn :).

MrCellus
    The road noise level is more than acceptable. Under hard acceleration (which I tend to NOT do), the engine is a bit rough and the shifts are quite jarring. But what engine in this type of car isn't?

the r18 in the civic. ;)
  • tmporttmport Posts: 19
    I test drove a manual transmission Elantra SE today, after having tested a Sonata and Versa recently.

I was really impressed with the interior of the Elantra: more attractive than the Sonata, with lots of useful storage. The A/C seemed reasonably efficient (temperature was in the mid-80s, and the car had been sitting in the sun). The interior space is excellent, including the back seat, but the trunk is disappointingly small. I guess that's the tradeoff for a larger back seat. I also really liked the manual adjustments on the seat and the wheel (tilt/telescope on the SE). It should be easy for pretty much anyone to find a comfortable driving position.

As for the transmission itself, it was hard to get a good feel on such a short test drive and with several other people in the car. The clutch seemed smooth and light, not grabby as a few online reviewers have complained. The shifter itself was pretty good, though a little notchy, and not as satisfying as the shifter on my old 1994 Nissan Sentra. But again, it's hard to get a good feel on a short test drive. I definitely need to drive it a few more times.

For those who own Elantras with manual transmissions, what do you think of them? Is it easy to drive in traffic? And is the highway noise as offensive as a lot of reviewers have suggested? I really like manual transmissions, but I'll be living in the DC area, which has a ton of traffic. Am I crazy not to get an automatic?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    I prefer manuals in traffic. Also it depends on your commute. Some are not that bad - if you have to go over a bridge at the wrong time it could be bad though.
  • I have a 2007 Elantra SE Manual with over 2500 miles and love it.
    It is very easy to drive in traffic due to the power of the engine and the shift ranges. I can go as slow as 20 mph in 3rd gear and still have adequate power to accelerate. 5th gear is good down to between 30-35 and still able to accelerate. I don't know why anyone would complain about road noise with this car, it is the most quiet in the class. Everyone that rides in this car notes just how quiet it is.
    I believe that the only reason people feel the Mazda 3 is more sporty is because it is quite a bit louder. ;) There are times when driving over 70 that it would be nice to have another gear, but that is just perception. (~3000 rpm @ 70 mph.) I previously owned a 2002 Honda civic that seems like a piece of junk compared to this Elantra. If it were not for the mid 30's mpg average of the Civic, I could not have tolerated driving it. Alas, an errant driver totaled that car. We looked at most cars in the class and did not like the 2 step dash of the Civic, or that we needed to go to an EX to get a split folding rear seat. The Civic is almost as quiet as the Elantra, but feature to feature would cost about $2000 more.
    pricewise you are correct, the civic costs more similarly equipped, and the elantra has features not available on the civic.

tests have shown that the elantra, as quiet as it is, is only marginally quieter than the civic, so nothing to write home about there.

the reason people KNOW the mazda 3 is sportier is because it IS. it has nothing to do with being louder; just look at the more aggresively bolstered seats, sporty interior, and aggresively tuned suspension.
  • Perhaps the Mazda 3 has more of a sporty feel, but it comes down to what a person feels is more important, comfort or something else. My brother has a 2006 Mazda 3 and if we go golfing together we cannot take his car because you can't get 2 golf bags with pull carts in the trunk, his bag and cart hardly fits. It is a fine vehicle, the Elantra just fits my likes and needs better.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Must not have the hatch. That will easily fit the golf gear with the seats folded.
  • For those who own Elantras with manual transmissions, what do you think of them? Is it easy to drive in traffic? And is the highway noise as offensive as a lot of reviewers have suggested?

I have a 2007 Elantra Limited with a 5 speed. The first comment we made driving away from the dealer's lot was 'smooth'. My wife and I absolutely love this car. It is easy and fun to drive, has plenty of power (I'm not talking about numbers here, but practical use), and it is extremely comfortable. We have driven from CT to VT and back in one day (roughly 500 miles) and we were ready to go out again at night just to drive the car somewhere.

Shifting is smooth, controls work very well. I should mention we have had the car for just over 4 months and it now has 8000 miles on the odometer. It runs very well.

Noise - those reviewers are being overly picky about this issue. Consider this: they drive all types of cars in the most strenuous conditions for a living. The Elantra is not as quiet as a Cadillac Sedan DeVille, but it doesn't compete with that car, either. The 2007 Elantra is not any louder at highway speeds than my 1996 Corolla, and is MUCH quieter than the 1999 Civic it replaced. It is also more quiet than my mom's CR-V. Seriously, if the reviewers were bothered by road noise, they should have turned up the very nice stock radio system - oh wait, the car does that for you! (speed sensitive volume)

The only truly negative aspect of this car is the gas mileage - my car averages 28-30 mpg, a far cry from the 38 claimed by Hyundai. (I've heard many say that mileage improves with engine wear, but it's not going to improve by 10mpg). Just for the record, driving the way I do, I still achieve 40 mpg in my Corolla with 179K miles on it.

Anyway, I love the Elantra. Even with the negative features, this car still has the best value for the money. For $16.5K, I got a car with heated leather seats, ABS, 6 airbags, 6 speaker stereo, 16" alloy wheels, steering wheel mounted controls, comfortable smooth ride, large interior volume, large truck with large opening (major drawback of the Mazda 3), long warranty, etc. BTW, that price was during a time when there were no rebates, so I'm sure you could get a much better deal now.
    FYI: Hyundai doesn't claim anything about gas mileage--that's the EPA's job. And they don't claim 38 mpg: estimates for 2007 are 28/36, and that drops to 24/33 (25/33 for the automatic) with the new 2008 ratings, which are supposed to be more accurate.
  • 2rotor2rotor Posts: 3
    Exactly. Not only does Hyundai not make the claim of 38mpg, they don't (and wouldn't) claim a 36mpg "average", as that's the highway rating only. The owner that crows about a 40mpg average with their Corolla clearly doesn't "get it"... And comparing a 179,000mi Corolla to a new, larger and heavier (than ANY Corolla) Elantra is making comparisons that don't make much sense.

Speaking of not making sense, what's with the owner that is disappointed with the trunk space? Which competing car is it that whallops the Elantra's 14+ cuft? Not to mention complaining about this AFTER purchasing the car, as if the trunk shrank after it rolled off the lot...

-2Rotor
    Well, I was the person who mentioned that the trunk was "disappointingly small," though I'm not an owner...yet. ;)

At any rate, I was wrong. I did another test drive, and the trunk is plenty big--I think the sun was in my eyes the first time I checked it out. This time I drove an automatic, and it was great, providing plenty of acceleration as I merged onto a highway on an upslope.

My problem now is choosing between the Elantra, Sonata, and Spectra5. I was quoted $13,400 for a new 2006 automatic Spectra5 w/sunroof and ABS, and I'm pretty sure I can negotiate the price down to $13,000. At Fitzmall in Maryland, near where I live, I can get an Elantra GLS w/preferred package and automatic for a no-haggle $14,850, and a Sonata GLS w/ automatic and Premium Package for $15,850. All of these prices are before tax and tags.

Setting aside the Sonata, I'm having a hard time figuring out why I would pay an extra $1500 for the Elantra, especially considering that the Spectra5 is better equipped and has five doors. It gets worse gas mileage, but it's significantly cheaper to insure than the Elantra.

Sigh...choices, choices.
This discussion has been closed.