Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Traction Control/STS/ABS

Comments

• Can you provide a email , I would also like to know if I have had any recalls. Also is this a known problem with this car and is there a permanent fix out there?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,082
    Hello Spanishfly05,
    My email is socialmedia@gm.com. Please email me, and I will get some information from you to check on any recalls and answer your questions. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • csciutocsciuto Posts: 3
    I just had the exact same issue happen today on my 05 Grand Prix GXP. I have had 3 of the 4 wheel hubs already replaced and my 100k powertrain warranty just lapsed recently (I just broke 105k). I am curious if anyone can verify if they had the brake like come on as well during this. Money is tight in my household thanks to my wife being laid off and I'm trying to NOT pay for a wheel hub replacement (my luck, the one hub I didn't replace went bad).
  • grady4grady4 Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 3.8 grand prix gt with the abs and traction control lights that come on frequently. Is this a safety issue ? The car has 144,000 miles on it but is in great shape otherwise. I dont care if they are operational at this point, but I dont want to damage anything else or get into an accident. Can you answer this?

thanks, Chris G
  • chipmosschipmoss Posts: 3
    I had the same thing happen to my 04 Grand Prix GT. I took it in to get it checked and they told me that it was the ABS pump/module. Once I changed the pump the brake light went off, and the Service Variable Effort Steering light came on. The other two lights (Service ABS and Service Traction Control) remained on. A few other forums say that the harness that goes to the sensors on the wheel hub assembly can go bad and that could be the cause of the lights coming on.
    Any idea on how much the pump/module costs? I'm probably going to take it in to get fixed early next week. I've been out of town and haven't gotten to it yet.
    They have different pumps at different prices ranging from $450-$1250. The one that fit my car was the $1250 one, but I found a used one on Ebay for $100. You just have to check to see which one you need. The bad thing about it if you get it new is the fact that it is a dealer item (only sold by GM). But what i did is when to the dealership and got the part number for the one that fit my car and went searching the net until i found one.
  • a_reigha_reigh Posts: 1
    My 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP recently started popping up codes as well telling me to service my ABS system, service my traction control, service my braking system, service my effort variable system, service my stability control system, and now I can't get three lights to go off on my dash. This is a very upsetting issue my car has had nothing but problems from the day I bought it. I completely agree with you about contacting the dealer b/c when I put my car on the scanner it said this was an electrical problem and they now want me to replace my whole computer and then re-program the stupid car! This is the last pontiac I ever buy. Have they told you what's wrong with your vehicle?
  • jodrum79jodrum79 Posts: 1
    My 2004 Grand Prix GT had an issue with the ABS. I had it checked last summer (2009). Came out that the right front speed sensor was messed up. So I was wondering what speed sensor it was! I replaced the hub, and some other sensors having to do with the speed...none did the trick...so i replaced the speed harness on the right front. It worked...for a while. It seems this is an issue again. I checked it to see if it was ok and it seemed to be fine. However, the computer is now saying that there is an issue with the left rear speed sensor as well! I don't know about this...I mean, if so many people are having this issue...how does a recall work on this? I've seen posts on carquest having to do with this also. It seems to be a common problem... Here's the link: http://www.carquest.com/common/downloads/partsTechBrakeCQB%2004-12.pdf

So now the Service Variable Effort Steering light pops up and I'm thinking it has to do with the Service ABS System light.
  • ohiogtpohiogtp Posts: 3
    i have a 99 gtp with 177,000 and it still runs great but i have gone threw 3 front left hubs in 2 years well just recent ive had the abs light come on along with the trac control light. so i take it in and get it scanned and the codes were speed sensors in both front hubs so i replaced both fronts. now the traction control light kicks on usually when i am pulling in or backing out of a parking spot. any ideas on this? im starting to think its my traction control mod?
    Judging from everything that I have been seeing on a lot of other forums, I would say try replacing the speed sensor harness. Many people have said that was the trick to the ABS and TC lights. They have them on eBay new for around $24-$45. if that does not work for you let me know and I will try to find other solutions. God Bless!!!!
    ok thank u im gonna try it this week and let u know
  • oates1906oates1906 Posts: 1
    Chipmoss! I need some input! I'm new to this forum and I see that you're putting out some good information from what I can tell. Just recently I seem to have started having some of the same problems described in earlier posts with my '04 Grand Prix GT. These include the ABS light on, Traction Control disabled, and Service Variable Effort Steering in the DIC. I'm not sure what direction I should head w/ this. Any advice that you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a wonderful day!
  • I have a 2008 GP and the ABS & Traction lights also both came on. I have 75k on the vehicle. I had my mechanic check it out prior to taking it to the dealer and he thought it could be wheel sensor as well. He also noticed that the plug to the left ABS wheel sensor was full of water. I took it to the dealer as I have a full warranty still on the vehicle and they replaced the left hub assembly n/c problem solved for about 2-3 days then the lights came back on.(it rained) They now tell me that they want to replace the harness however surprise surprise it is not covered by my warranty. I pulled the wheel off myself to have a look and low and behold the harness was full of water again. (it rained hard the other day again) I have cleaned out the harness and so far the lights have not come on. (day 1) Water is a conductor of electricity and I figure that it is causing the harness to short out when it gets full. This looks like a GM defect to me and I even called GM customer service to complain and was told they would call the dealer and get back to me in a day or so. That was a week ago and still no call to me or the dealer. I am going to see if the lights come back on over the next few days as there is no rain in the forecast, and I will report back what I find. Other should have a look at their harness as well and make sure that it is not wet.(inside the plug it self)
    oates1906 ive been doin the same thing on my 99 gtp its nuts ive calle my local dealer to order the new male ends that plug into the speed sensor on the hub and they wanted $95 a side! i found some on ebay for about $30 shipped waiting on them to come in to put those new ends on each side and pray that fixes the problem because a whole new speed sensor harness cost $2200 from the dealer :mad:
    Hello Sweetride1,
    I apologize that no one has gotten back to you. Can you please email me your service request number and your VIN number so I can look into this further? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • My ABS and Traction control lights come on every time I operate my vehicle. I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, and would love to have a car that I feel safe driving. If anyone can help me to try to fix this without spending a fortune in the shop, I'd greatly appreciate it. Maybe this is why they don't make Pontiac anymore.
    Hello Jerdog44,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Have you had anyone look at the vehicle to have it diagnosed for the concern? Thank you,
  • mikeodomikeodo Posts: 4
    I have had my abs light come on a few times. After reading your messages I bought speed sensor cables from Car Quest in Glendale Arizona for $28.00 for the right side and $28.00 for the left side. I also purchased the speed sensors on line at carpartswholesale, both sides for $41.14. I will be installing them this weekend. I will let you all know how it turns out.
    It all seams to be fairly simple. I found at about.com instructions on how to install the new wiring harness.
    jerdog44
    Look what I posted just below your post.
    I will let you know what happens to me with my efforts to cure the problem.

Mikeodo
    Could you send me the link to that? I took mine to the dealer that last replaced my driver front hub and they confirmed it was speed sensor issues. They wanted $125 to diagnose which one and then who knows how much to replace. I told them to not do anything further. I need to replace the front pads so I guess I'll do what you do, if it works. Please keep us posted!
  • gjw467gjw467 Posts: 5
    I can't believe that GM can not do anything about this problem, this is a defective part if water is causing the problem with it. What happens next winter are we all going to have to replace these parts again because of wet roads. The parts should be protected from weather. Mariah what is GM going to do about this problem. Pontiac owners are paying alot of money and taking alot of time fixing this problem. Mine happen at just over 50,000 should I expect it again. I only want to buy American cars but if they cannot be supported by GM I don't think my family and I will have any options but to change that. I sent you an email requesting information on this problem. Please let us know what GM intends to do about this.
    Thank You,
  • gjw467gjw467 Posts: 5
    They charge over $300 to replace the sensors.
    I THOUGHT I HAD A EASY FIX (MESSAGE # 5?, I HAD TO REPLACE THE HUB AND WHEEL BEARING ON THE FRONT LEFT. YOU CAN HEAR THE BEARINGS IF YOU MAKE A SHARP TURN. THE SPEED SENSOR PICKS UP A SLOWER SPEED THAN THE OTHER WHEELS AND PRESTO ON GOES YOUR LIGHT. IT COST ABOUT $400.00 DOLLARS TO REPAIR AT A LOCAL GARAGE IN PEORIA ARIZONA. MY LIGHT WOULD GO ON SOMETIMES AND SOMETIMES NOT. THIS IS BECAUSE THE WHEEL BEARING MOST OF THE TIME WAS RUNNING FREE. WHEN IT STARTED TO BIND THE LIGHT WOULD GO ON. I ALSO HAD THE BRAKES FEEL LIKE THEY WERE GRABBING WHEN I TRIED TO STOP THE CAR DRIVING VERY SLOW. I KNOW ALOT OF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT A FIX THAT COST THAT MUCH, BUT THATS' JUST LIFE.
    I JUST WANTED TO SAY THE SPEED SENSOR DID IT'S JOB BY TURNING ON THE LIGHT. IF THE LIGHT DID NOT GO ON I MIGHT HAVE DROVE THE CAR UNTIL THE BEARING COMPLETELY LOCKED UP AND OR THE WHEEL COME COMPLETELY OFF. MY CAR HAS 107,000 MILES ON IT. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE LOW MILEAGE THE WHEEL BEARING MAY NOT BE YOUR PROBLEM. I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU OUT THERE. IT DOESN'T HURT TO ASK GOD FOR A LITTLE HELP ALSO.

GOOD LUCK
    P.S. I WILL BE CHECKING THE FORUM FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND HOPEFUL SOLUTIONS TO THESE PROBLEMS.
  • aboykinaboykin Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have a 04 grand prix that a/c heater blower won't turn off can someone help with this? I'm not sure if it's the blower motor or ignition switch i already replaced the resistor. From what i been reading.
  • lancerecruitlancerecruit Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    I bought this 2001 GT with 60 miles on it in 2002. I had/have this same problem (my ABS light was on, Trac light was saying "Trac Off", and the red Brake warning light on the dash was on!) Firestone ran a diagnostic test and the code said Front Right Sensor was bad. I have replaced both front hubs, both outer tie-rod ends, both rotors and the brakes. I also made sure that the brake fluid was full (adding the fluid turned off the "Brake" warning light that was on the dash).

I contacted GM customer service as I am SICK of spending money on this problem!!! Their answer was, "SORRY, THERE IS NO RECALL ON THIS RPOBLEM FOR ANY OF THESE CARS, BUT, WE WILL HELP YOU SET UP A TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE IT INTO A DEALER AND HAVE DIAGNOSTICS RUN WHICH WILL COST YOU $105.00!) They would not even pay to have the diagnostic test run. So, do not rely on GM Customer Service to help you and they WILL NOT pay for anything as they said there are no recalls for this reoccurring problem!

PS, my ABS light is STILL ON! I will never buy another GM product.
  • lancerecruitlancerecruit Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    I bought this 2001 GT with 60 miles on it in 2002. I had/have this same problem (my ABS light was on, Trac light was saying "Trac Off", and the red Brake warning light on the dash was on!) Firestone ran a diagnostic test and the code said Front Right Sensor was bad. I have replaced both front hubs, both outer tie-rod ends, both rotors and the brakes. I also made sure that the brake fluid was full (adding the fluid turned off the "Brake" warning light that was on the dash).

I contacted GM customer service as I am SICK of spending money on this problem!!! Their answer was, "SORRY, THERE IS NO RECALL ON THIS RPOBLEM FOR ANY OF THESE CARS, BUT, WE WILL HELP YOU SET UP A TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE IT INTO A DEALER AND HAVE DIAGNOSTICS RUN WHICH WILL COST YOU $105.00!) They would not even pay to have the diagnostic test run. So, do not rely on GM Customer Service to help you and they WILL NOT pay for anything as they said there are no recalls for this reoccurring problem!

PS, my ABS light is STILL ON! I will never buy another GM product.
  • I have been having this issue in driver front side since Feb. 2010. I've had the ABS sensor and bearing in this wheel replaced twice; also all 4 wheels' brake pads, rotors and caliphers replaced; parking brake replaced. My mechanic (not dealer) is master mechanic and has 3 other mechanics in a forum working on this - no luck yet. Also there was an issue with wiring for the AC compressor which run beside/near the sensor - it was worn and mechanic thought it was arcing over and making sensor go off. I get lights daily, plus the grinding/grabbing of the brakes. Does anyone think this might be computer malfunction, i.e. sending false signal to ABS system? My mechanic is going to try to find used one to see if it helps. Any suggestions by anyone would be so appreciated. About to drive it off a cliff and I live in North TX - no cliffs nearby! thanks! :sick:
  • HEY EVERYONE! I posted this above (#60)..."2001 GT with 60 miles on it in 2002. I had/have this same problem (my ABS light was on, Trac light was saying "Trac Off", and the red Brake warning light on the dash was on!) Firestone ran a diagnostic test and the code said Front Right Sensor was bad. I have replaced both front hubs, both outer tie-rod ends, both rotors and the brakes. I also made sure that the brake fluid was full (adding the fluid turned off the "Brake" warning light that was on the dash)."

After doing all that, my friend and I bought a new right front sensor wire harness on Amazon for $29.00! We changed out the harness last night (took about 45 minutes) and the light is off! After inspecting the old harness once we removed it, we found that the wires had cracked or broke apart about 4 inches from the sensor connector that connects to the hub sensor. After replacing this harness, the light immediately went off and has stayed off. Take off the wheel, unhook the sensor connection, follow the wire harness to the chassiss just under the radiator. You will see where it splices into the main harness. Cut the old one out and splice the new one in! That simple! You can email me at lancerecruit2002@yahoo.com if you have any questions.