Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Traction Control/STS/ABS

Comments

• My mechanic individually tested each speed sensor. My rear passenger side one ended up being one that did not work. Like I said, it has been replaced but the problem is still occurring. Like many others on this forum, changing the speed sensors hasn't worked in many cases. With all that has already been looked into, the ABS Computer Pump module is ultimately all that it could be. The speed sensor that was broken did bring up a code in the diagnostic scan and is why my mechanic thinks it's most likely the pump module. He said that b4 we even changed the speed sensor but thought we should start with the least expensive alternative first. I can't wait till this problem is gone!!!
  • I am also have the same problem with my 06 grand prix, with the stalling and the ABS.

The stalling only happens when i use command start, and my ABS doesnt come up on the dash behind the steering wheel, it come up on the communication panel, the one above the stereo, not sure if every grand prix has that, and when it comes up there it doesnt stay on long. when it comes up it just states " service abs system"

Im bringing my car to the GM dealer ship as i put extended warrenty on the car and these to problems excisted before, i guess i will see what they say... :lemon: LOL
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    alapierre,
    How did things go at the dealer? Has your issue been addressed?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • aschoenaschoen Posts: 10
    Yeah so I've been having the same problems as alapierre......probably for longer. I was just wondering, Michelle from GM Customer Service, why is it that of all the people having the same problems with their grand prix's, that you are just now, and only, asking this person if their issue is resolved? I have spent over $1300 trying to fix the stalling and abs problems and my issues are still not resolved. I'm not trying to sound rude I'm just frustrated with the fact that my car is STILL not fixed . Even worse, the lack of responsiblity GM claims for these issues. If you will read through these forums you would see that nearly every single grand prix owner is having these same two problems; many of us spending A LOT of money to fix them with no resolve. Obviously I'm frustrated. Im just bothered that after the many posts I've made, I have never once been replied to by GM to ask how things are going. The only difference between the last person and myself is that they said they would be taking their car to the dealer. I'm guessing its safe to say on behAlf of everyone....why isn't GM doing something about this?
  • is the link you provided about a recall? i would love to have this problem fixed for free... please let me know! i have a 2004 grand prix
  • I wholeheartedly agree! Not only is this problem evident in this forum but in talking with quite a few GM owners (not only of Grand Prixs) I have discovered it is a problem in Corvettes (not sure what years) and other GM models - and has been for a while. What was finally diagnosed as being the problem on my car (I still haven't fixed it due to the cost (over $1000)), is that the ABS computer control module has gone bad/failed. My car is only 6 years old (2004 Grand Prix) and it seems to me that this is clearly a defective module that GM continues to put into its cars. A recall is definitely the answer but my guess is that GM doesn't care enough to do it. GM says it is a changed company but that appears to be a ruse. I can't afford to get it fixed and can't affort a car payment, so I had the module disconnected and have regular, but no ABS brakes. I will never buy another GM product.
    aschoen,
    To start, I'm unsure who you spoke with before but my name is Christina. I apologize you have not received any acknowledgement from GM. I understand that you are not taking your vehicle to the dealer. I understand that seems like a small difference to you; however, in order for GM to look into this and try to assist you, you would need to take your vehicle to the dealer. If you would like to do so, please feel free to email me with your contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN, and current mileage.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • No offense, Christina, but if GM would address this issue that has effected thousands of owners by issuing a very needed recall, aschoen, or anyone else,wouldn't have to spend money to find out what is already known. Part is defective. :lemon:

There are many qualified mechanics certified on GM at other places than the dealership. It ridiculous to say the dealer is the only one who can diagonose this problem. Why doesn't GM step up like it should? We all know the answer to that one - MONEY out of THEIR pockets isn't something they want to do but its okay for us to spend money out of OUR pockets.
    edited March 2011
    ecugirl81,
    I apologize for you your experience. I will say that GM needs to hear the customers to know there is a problem occurring. I understand you have spoke of your problems on here, but until recently, GM wouldn't be aware of this. I am proof that GM cares to hear their customers. They have put many of us out on forums to help customers like you get to someone who could be of assistance. My name is Christina and I work with customers here on Edmunds. Recalls are formed partly by customer complaints to GM Customer Assistance (the telephone number is in the owners manual). Anyone that is experiencing concerns that are unresolved at the dealer, are encouraged to contact myself via email or GM Customer Assistance via the 800 number in your owners manual. I understand that there are many mechanics that are certified; however, GM only accepts the diagnosis of a GM dealer. This could be for many different reasons; however, most companies do the same thing. GM dealers have a contract with GM, unlike independent mechanics. If you would like please email me with your VIN, current mileage, and concerns. I will do my best to assist you and your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    realmcnew,
    If you would like to send me your VIN I can look to see if there is open recalls for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 2005gxp2005gxp Posts: 1
    gm customer service, i have under 50k and original owner, i have the same problem, can you advise how to get this fixed.. thanks denise..2005 gxp
    I'm sorry Christina and i wasn't trying to be rude about the whole deal. I know there is nothing you can do personally to resolve my issues, let alone, the hundreds of others on this forum who have experienced the same two problems. I do believe, however, that one of the last people on here said it right talking about GM. I did call a GM dealer and they wanted $100 just to look at my car. Even worse, the man I spoke to cut down the mechanic I've had working to fix my problems, not even knowing who he was...just simply because it wasn't GM. My biggest problem.....is that even if I do take it to GM, I am just about willing to guarantee that I am not going to get a free or cheap "fix". The man at GM said to me himself that my stalling and abs problems are not common....I beg to differ!!! This is just one forum and look at all the IDENTICAL complaints. They speak for themselves. I know I will be charged to "fix" my car even if the "fix" doesn't work (just as the many who have taken theirs to the dealer and not had their problem fixed). Whether it's fixed or not I will still have to pay $100 to "diagnose" my problem and then a higher than average bill for the repairs.
    I would hope as a GM customer service rep that you could pass on the stress we all feel over our problems...not that I expect you can do much. GM is about money, otherwise they would have already fixed this!
  • I have the same ABS traction problem; lights came on. I took to GM dealer 3 months ago and it was fixed for over $600. Now 3 months later, the lights were on. The dealer said each wheel has its own Hub and I would have to replace the other front wheel hub for another $600; total cost @$1300 and I don't know how long the lights will stay off. Pete

Christina I sent a separate email regarding the problem. I hope you can respond and assist
    I am currently assisting Christina on the forum. Are you still experiencing this concern? I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do so I will need the VIN as well as your name, address and phone number send to me via email. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • gjw467gjw467 Posts: 5
    I did everything Christine is telling you to do and got no where. I was told there is no recall on my car and GM was sorry. That was the end of it. I'm still having front end problems but I cannot afford the rates the GM dealers charge just to tell you what it is let alone the cost of the repair. All I know is I will never buy another GM and I don't think anyone else in my family ever will again. We have all been dedicated GM owners but times have changed now.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Posts: 427
    I am staying away from them for the lack of talent and most are Buick/GMC dealers under the new Govt. Mtrs..In replacing parts, the service dept will pick the oldest design in their inventory and it will probably be the same engineering level as your failed part..so it will have a limited life..

Been there on "Steering Shafts" commonly known as the ISS, 3 in 30k miles, however @55k it seems to be working..3 batteries in 30k miles, and seems to be okay..Service uses the "first in-first out theory..2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Been thru 53 autos in my life, all Big3 except 2 Porsches..Current GM car is a 2006 Pontiac GT, purchased used at local Caddy dealer w/4300 miles..Traded in a 2002 Olds Intrigue w/120k mi., purchased new, and also had 2 other Intrigues, 1998 and 1999..The 99 and 02 were great little cars, the 98 was repurchased by GM after 26k miles due to steering and brakes issues.

I would not expect too much help from any GM dealer on the extinct Pontiac line, except high money grab..I was using the local dealer, however after 8k miles on Hankook tires purchased and balanced by the GM dealer the rear tires flat spotted due to alignment problems which the dealer had checked previously as OK..Dealers are too lazy to reslot the struts, however I have found that Chevy dealers are trustworthy..had the same problem with the 02 Intrigue and the Chevy dealer after 70k miles reslotted all 4 struts and after another 50k miles all was still in alignment..so I was shafted twice by the Olds/Caddy on prior aligments..

I am not a stop-light jockey, however I do travel fast on the interstates and demand "no shake", so balance+alignment are vital..and at rotation time if the car is smooth, I never rebalance..If shake develops then we check for a missinng weight for they are marked when installed..

In reviewing the recent problems owners are having on this forum, I will chuck the car immediately for it is not worth pumping any amount of money into a dead model..I got this car for 1/2 of original MSRP in June 2007..Pretty car with sunroof, leather, chrome wheels, and Monsoon..black w/tan interior..Only real concern with the car is a front end creak when acceleratoring from a stop..which disappears after a few miles..I live in Venice, Fla and the car never been exposed to snow or pot-holed roads..

Let's face it, the GPGT is a warmed over Chevy Impala with maybe a better suspension, and the supercharged V-6 is fun at the higher speeds and gets the triple-digit test on every interstate venture..comes alive after 60 mph..

My other car is a 2010 Mustang GT w/track pkg...bought used w/1365 miles..

The best Grand Prixs were back in the mid-70s, had a 74, 76, and a 77. LJ coupes with big-block V-8s..great road beasts..
    aschoen,
    No problem, I would just like to assist you in getting this resolved. I do understand that they want you to have a GM dealer look at the vehicle. This is just a standard operating procedures so we can get technical information and try to resolve your concerns and find a resolution for this. I understand you would prefer a independent mechanic; however, it has to be a GM dealer due to the fact they are contracted with us. There are many different reasons for this. I apologize for any inconvenience. But these cases with Customer Assistance are monitored. The more people that have a case for a particular issue the more attention the issue will get.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • UPDATE: GM customer service Lucy called me, as a district manager responsible, said that "due to the age and mileage of vehicle" would not be able to assist me at this time. I asked, "so if the ABS lights go on again, we can assume it is not due to the age and mileage but a manufacturer's defect?" She replied, "you are free to call us back at that time". So I told her "most people on the Edmunds blog are upset paying for one service on the vehicle around $600 and then having to come back repeatedly for different wheels." I said, "if I knew what I do now, I would have just kept driving with regular brakes instead of potentially paying $2500 to keep the ABS light off. And once you pay for one wheel, if you don't pay for the next you feel like you wasted your first $600. "
    gjw467,
    I apologize you did not get the resolution you wanted. Every case is handled on a case by case basis. I recommend anyone who is experiencing concerns contact, myself or GM Customer Assistance. This way we can look into your specific situation and address your concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    So...In the last week I have taken my car to a GM dealership. They ran their own set of diagnostics. I was told that the speed sensor/hub that has been replaced in my car (twice) is an aftermarket part and is not reading the speed of my one wheel properly. Little do they know that my mechanic also replaced one of my rear speed sensor/hubs also, with the same model part, and there was no comments as to that one not working. I am not saying that GM is trying to get my money because the guy who helped me with my car at GM was honest and didn't beg me to have them fix it....just said it's good to at least get diagnostic done at GM. Anyways, he told me that in order to even find out if the problem is something other than the speed sensors....that I would have to change this front speed sensor...for a third time. After that we can tell if is really something else. In other words, I have to spend $500 on a factory/GM sensor and hope that it is really the problem and resolves my problem. As I said before Christina, I have already invested about 1500 into this car. It's rediculous to know taht I am being told I must spend another 500 and "hope" it fixes the problem. The ABS grinding sound and feeling has trickled off but the lights are still on. The only reason I was able to resolve my stalling problem was from finding this forum and others who had the same problem. CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY!!!! it worked!!!! i spent over 400 trying to resolve that problem and not one mechanic...at 4 different shops...ever even thought to do that. I'm past frustrated....esp considering GM told me unless I wanna spend another 2000 its time to look at another car..... No recalls, no discounts, no free replacement to an obviously common GM/pontiac problem. Makes ya wonder if this is why they stopped making the pontiac to begin with. Any advice? I'd be glad to hear it