Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Traction Control/STS/ABS

Comments

• I understand that a dealership visit may not be a viable option in addressing a vehicle concern. I see that the service lights have come on for your Traction Control and Antilock Brake Systems. We do depend on our technicians at our dealership service departments to diagnose the cause of any concern, and as such the diagnosis visit is the first step for our processes here.

Apart from this, we can do some investigation. For example, with the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN, we could look to see if there are any open safety recalls on your Pontiac. You can send us this information in an email, if you like, and we'd be happy to do so.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a small shop. I opened up the business so I can be one of the few mechanics that people can trust. I had two grand prixs come in today with the same exact problem. One was a 2004 other is 2005. The 04 I replaced the abs module as she told me she had already had all the speed sensors replaced. Same symptoms as yours. Did not fix it. No stored codes, and I tested the speed sensors while driving. Everything tested good. Even got the car to act up with the scanner hooked up and nothing. GM needs to do something about this. As far as the 05 I told her I would have to find out what the problem truly is before I waste her money. GM will not help all they say is you have to bring us the car to properly diagnose it. I am working on trying to find out the true cause of this and will post what I find so people can get their car fixed the first time and quit throwing money away.
  • towertower Posts: 5
    OK folks, here is my update:

I contacted GM (Christina) via email and shared details, she informed me that there was no recall. I had also contacted the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center and opened a case. Christina became aware of this, and handed me off to an "agent". I spoke with my assigned "agent", who informed me that GM would likely assist with the repair, so he convinced me to take the car into the dealership for precise diagnosis and repair. I was encouraged by the conversation, and thought wow, the new GM really does care.

Although the hub bearings were previously identified to be making noise and thus in need of replacement, the secondary diagnosis upon further investigation was the simple ABS wiring harness was corroded all the way through. Upon replacing that part, the issue was solved. I requested the old part, which upon inspection, had water all through the inside of the harness casing. To me, that meant the design was flawed, and that added to my case.

Without going into the specific resolution, here is my advice for any of you who may be affected by issue you believe shouldn't be present. If your vehicle has low mileage or is otherwise just out of warranty, I would rate your chances of GM assistance to be good. If your car is older, maybe not so much. I will say that it took over 2 months to gain any satisfaction, but I did in fact get my repair issue addressed, and GM did in fact finally deliver on their earlier promise.

Bottom line: provided you have great patience (dealing with being handed off from agent to agent, not getting return phone calls, being over-committed to based on actual performance, etc.), and are willing to be actively engaged in seeing it through, and your situation aligns to the above details, it would behoove you to follow Christina's advice and contact them to discuss the matter. She stayed engaged from afar with my issue, and served as another point of contact, which I found to be of value.

Hope this helps, and thanks Christina (and GM) for your help.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    Tower,
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and conclusion. You are very welcome, I am happy I could be of assistance. I would like to provide a little more information on why you may speak with a few different agents. There are different levels of Customer Assistance Representatives with different tools to assist customers. This is due to the wide variety of situations. I apologize as this can be frustrating; but this is why I wanted to stay in contact with you and make sure everything was taken care of for you. Anyone who would like to email me please feel free. I am happy to look into your situations, recalls, dealer concerns, and any feedback you would like to provide.

Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • burtonzburtonz Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I have the same exact issue as above (#145), with my 2004 Grand Prix GT. I have the ABS activating at random braking times, for NO reason. The traction/ABS lights are lighting up like a Christmas tree. I changed the RH Half Shaft after investigating a very loud grinding noise. The RH boot had a hole in it and grease was everywhere. That ended up NOT being the noise issue, so I changed the LH as well. The grinding noise finally stopped after changing the LH, and so did the ABS acting up... briefly. About a month or so later, the ABS is acting up again, as described above.
    Before spending a fortune on the dealer to tell me that it is not acting up when they drive it, I'm wondering if a relay has gone bad. Unfortunately, I'm not an electrician so my play is to start changing them and see if that works.
    After being jumped on by my wife (she drives the car) I'm on the internet searching - and found this site. Please help me with a cheaper and quicker fix than going to a dealer.
    Apparently I'm not the only one with this issue and I'm sure GM knows what the issue is. Please let me know how to fix it.
    Thank you,
    Burtonz
  • esh83esh83 Posts: 1
    I've have the exact same problem with my 2007 Grand Prix GT. ABS and Traction control light come on. When i make a tight turn it seems like the ABS would kick on then off. Brought it to the dealer, at the time i had one of those Progressive Insurance driving monitors plugged into the computer. Dealership couldnt find anything wrong with my car, and told me to remove the monitor..i took it offbut it didnt change anything. :( My car stops just fine, so i havent brought it back in.
  • If you were interested in us following up on this with you, please send us an email with more information (including your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have fixed the 4th grand prix today. Same problem abs kicks on usually at low speeds or while turning. Traction control light comes on but no codes. The Front speed sensor Harness has been the problem on all the grand prix. 2002 thru 2007. All of them have been on the left front. Good luck.
  • I am having the same issue. on my 2006 Grand Prix GXP left front Wheel sensor bad. ABS, Brake and Trac control lights are on. go off from time to time. had wheel hub replaced and didnt fix issue. dealer told me after they replaced it that it probably the cable now. So a flaw in the design of the cable from what I am seeing by reading this forum. Has a recall been issued on it yet? Anyone have any luck getting GM to replace when out of warranty? Can you please tell me the part number for the cable? Also direct me to any documentation on replacing the cable?

Thank you!
  • Can you please check to see if there are any open recalls on my vehicle? Also is there anyway you can help me in getting the left fron ABS wireing replaced on my vehicle? I had wheel hub replaced and still have the same issue.
    Vin is 2G2WC58C161183150

Thank you!
  • lm04lm04 Posts: 2
    I have had the issue for months now. I have brought my car the the dealership where they could not diagnose the problem but offer a repair suggestion of $1000 plus to fix so I brought to another repair shop that finally got a reading off my car and said it was my sensor so I replaced both sensors but the problem still exists. I am amazed to see so many people have the same issue as I do. The 8 of VIN number is 41264723 and my car has $71K miles on it. I woudlliek to know if htere are any recalls on my car.

Thank you
  • Good morning,
    At this time, you don't have any open recalls on your Grand Prix. Also, just for your own information, you do still have an Emissions Select Component Warranty that is good until 12/15/2012 or 80,142 MI, whichever comes first.

I'm sorry to hear that the replacement of the sensors did not remedy the issue you're having with the traction control. When were you in at your dealership? We'd be happy to give them a call and follow up with them about your visit. Please send us an email with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, a link to this post as my coworker Christina who answers incoming emails will need the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I am having the same problem with my 2004 grand am, I have spent over 800.00 on the brake system and i am still having the same problem, when my light doesn't come on, my brake peddle shakes, then goes all the way to the ground, then i hear a loud noise. But when the abs light comes on, i dont have a problem with the car.. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? I have taken the car to 3 different dealers
  • :cry: hi sorry to be asking this, but there seems to be a problem with my car.. I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT and when it shifts down into overdrive, it drives fine, but when I give it just the slightest bit of gas it acts like it is running out of gas, but if i give it more gas to kick it out of overdrive it runs like a dream what could this be.. also my stereo has quit working, along with my ON*star thru the car itself, I can bypass the stereo speakers in the car and the radio works, but the onstar dont, any help would be greatly appriciated(spelling)
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • tav19tav19 Posts: 1
    I replaced the harnesses for the speed sensors in both front wheel assemblies. This is a common fix and most garages will fix everything else, I.e. hubs, shafts, etc. before replacing these harnesses. All my ABS/traction contro/stability system issues disappeared as soon as the harnesses were replaced. Found the fix after much searching on the internet
  • davidt11davidt11 Posts: 1
    I have replaced the electronic brake control module on my 2004 grand prix GT with on from a 1999 grand prix se. Will that work or will I have to get a new one please let me know, thanks.
  • maddi24maddi24 Posts: 1
    My women has a 2000 grand prix, 3800 v6 and the LR (left rear) wss (wheel speed sensor) was not reading. i have replaced it and everything seemed to go well, but now the abs light doesnt go off. i have cleared the codes with my scanner and the low track light comes off then turns back off again. any ideas whats going on. ????
  • I have a 2002 Grand Prix GTP with the aftermentioned ABS light & TCS lights on. I searched for hours looking for a proper way of diagnosing this issue. Came upon this site, went though 17 pages, & no one has the proper way of diagnosing. Even the GM reps won't help you. They all say, send me your vin etc, etc. Even the dealers are hit & miss with the repair. People just don't know how to diagnose any more. If the scanner doesn't tell them exactly the problem, they don't have a clue. I gave up looking on the internet for the answer & decided to look for myself
    I am old school. It does not have to be difficult. It's nothing more than nuts, bolts & wires. It's not that hard. But you do need a digital multi meter to diagnose it.
    Each wheel has a AC gernerator that is used to tell the ABS brake module what that wheel is doing. These sensors are nothing more than just a coil of wires with an input & out put lead. Either they work properly, are open( broken wire) or are shorted to ground. Unplug each one & check the tresistance in them. If you have one that is different than the others----- youve found a problem Resistances values need to be 800-1600 ohms.
    Once you've confirmed the sensors are all good & the lights are still on, there are other issues. You need to check the wiring from each wheel sensor to the ABS module. Again very easy. Plug all the wheel sensors back in, & then unplug the main plug at the ABS module. Remeber each wheel has it's own set of 2 wires that tell the module what's going on.
    With the pin end of the plug facing you you want to check the wiring to each wheel. There are VERY small numbers moulded into the corners of the plug. Looking at the pin end of the plug the numbers start at 1 in the upper right side ending in 11 upper left side. The last row starts with 20 in the lower right & ends at 30 in the lower left.
    #2 & #3 pins Right rear wheel
    #4 & #5 Right front wheel
    #20 & #21 Left Front wheel
    #22 & #23 Left rear wheel.
    Again check the resistance for each wheel at these pins. They should all be very close to the values you got at the wheel sensors alone. If there is a reading that is out of place, then the problem is in the harness, now you have to find it, but at least you know which area to be looking for.
    If all your wheel sensors are good, & all your harnesses are good then you need to be looking at the ABS module itself. I'm sure theres a way of diagnosing this also WITHOUT a scanner ACCURATELY, but I didn't have to go that far because I found the issue in the left front wiring harness under the rad. A wire had broken. Repaired it, lights are out.
    If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try & help you out, so you won't get it royally from your friendly local GM dealer or corner garage that BOTH don't know how to diagnose something.
  • dlbuehlerdlbuehler Posts: 2
    Also make sure your post connection at the ABS control module is clean and no corrosion. I ran all the continuity tests and everything checked out. Was about ready to have the control module replaced when I noticed some corrosion in the bottom of the connection box on the ABS unit. Went to O'reilly's and for $7.95 bought a can of electrical connector cleaner. Scrapped lightly with a small screw driver and spraying down to remove the corrosion, let it all dry and then used dielectric grease on the pins. Put back together and so far so good. Thanks 'liteweight' for the trouble shooting info on the wires coming out of the ABS box or I would not have found this.
  • I had the same problem with my Grand Prix where the hub was replaced to fix the ABS/TCS warning light issue and both ABS and TCS engaging. The fix cost $760. My car is a 2007 Grand Prix with 75,000 miles on it. I did write GM about it in regards to compensation and they offered $175 in store credits. I've owned a 2006 Buick Ranier which was an absolute lemon. I also own 2011 Traverse (under warranty) that's having the same fuel guage problems that the Buick had. I've owned 15 GM vehicles over the course of 33 years and the Traverse and Grand Prix will be the last GMs I ever own.