Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have spoke with GM Customer Service and they didn't offer any help. My car is a 2005 Grand Prix with 97000 miles and they told my the I would have to pay for a new transmission out of my packet. I think that there are so many people with grand prix having the same problem the gm should help us. Maybe that other person has the right idea about a class law suit!!!
    This is not right!
  • My nephew bought a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix which now has 82,000 miles on it. The car ran fine until recently the transmission started slipping. We brought it to a shop and they said it needed to be replaced or rebuilt for around $2,800.00. He is an 18 year old college kid left with no parents...is Pontiac doing anything about this or is he going to be left with no car now too?
  • I am trying to help my 18 year old nephew out, he is trying to put himself through college and has neither of his parents to help him. He came to see me over the weekend and the transmission in his 2007 Grand Prix is slipping so bad he can't drive it. We brought it to 2 places and both told us it was blown and needed to be replaced. It just started acting up a week ago and now we are being told it needs to be replaced?!?! There are several service bulletins as you pointed out. If Pontiac isnt addressing this I will join the suit. This kid has enough against him he doesn't need to be screwed by Pontiac now too. Please contact me.
  • I have contacted Pontiac several times and they don't care about this problem that is happenning to many grand prix owners. I am so sorry that this is happeing to you. I wish they would take care of this. I have to take my car in to get the transmission replace too,. and they told me is going to cost me 2,800. I hope we can all get together and do something about this...is just not right!
  • Ezurawek,

Thank you for your post. We can look into the situation further (see if any recalls are associated to your nephew's vehicle specifically/help you work with a dealership towards resolving this concern). Please email us with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi! I have a 2005 Grand Prix with the same transmission problem: slipping, long shift, the computer codes are a dictionary of transmission problems. Sarah, I will send you my information. Needless to say, I need a new transmission. I'm shopping for another car now. I'm 48 and since I was 16 I've owned GM vehicles. Unfortunately, it's become too much for me to continue to deal with these kinds of reliability problems.

The other day a guy in a 2005 Grand Prix pulled up next to me at a red light and asked how I liked my Grand Prix. I said it has a transmission problem and needs to be replaced. He replied "me too!".
  • I had the same issue. I ended up having the electrical hub replaced. Its the fuse box located under the hood to the left. Mine would get moisture in it from heat or humidity and the contacts were rusty and made my cars electrical systems respond with varying DBs. Had it replaced (GM part) for about $400....no problems since.

Good Luck :shades:
  • tom_ntom_n Posts: 2
    I'm on my third Grand Prix. For others with hard downshifting problems on OLDER 2000-2002 models, I found a bottle of Lucas Transmission Treatment worked pretty well.
    UNTIL THIS TIME.
    I own a 2008 GP GXP, and when I come to a stop sign and stop, then restart, the transmission is slow to go back into first gear. It hangs momentarily in neutral before slamming into low upon accelleration. Not real good for the transmission, and clearly leads to bigger problems. I would like to knnow specifically what controls these downshifts, and how to go about fixing it?
    Also, I wish I had a dollar for all of you complaining about GM transmissions.
    Safety organizations forcing recalls obviously think there is no danger in having your transmission malfunction in the middle of an intersection! Come on, GM! Where is your recall???!!!
    Tom_N
  • Surprise Surprise Another Grand Prix 2005 transmission problem ! I had mine in within 2 years and now with 79000 it's doing it every time the engine shifts as you go faster. GM should look into this problem !! Maybe this is why there are more foreign cars in America --- I have called dealership and will advise what is said..
  • Looking forward to the update, jzeimer. If we can be of any assistance in the meantime, please email us more information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 05 Grand Prix here, 106k miles. Trans started shifting hard into 2nd and 3rd gears yesterday, had it looked at this morning. Trans needs to be replaced. Who can I contact about this? Thanks.
  • Just for my own information, was this diagnosis done at your dealership?

If you're planning on working with a dealership towards replacing the transmission (I understand this may not be for everybody) and would like to have Customer Assistance help in the process, please email us more information (including your name, contact information, mileage, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I would get a 2nd opinion because it sound like your trans. Need a
    (trans. Control module)
  • Did you get any answers on what this is or any solutions? I have a 2007 and it does the same thing. It isn't everytime and some days more than others. Of course when I took it in they could find no codes and it wouldn't do it on the 10 minute test run. I'm at a loss.
  • hurtsmywallethurtsmywallet Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I have a 2001 Grand Prix GTP Special Edition- I bought it new. The dealership supposedly put a new transmission in when the car had about 35,000 miles on it (still under warranty). September of this year the transmission went out, had it rebuilt at a transmission shop approx $2700. After, it still shifts hard and they think its the computer. Great!

I did not go to the GM dealer because of all of the previous times I did they usually made things worse. Once I took it in and got it back-the cruise control didn't work after that. Then the window had problems and they replaced the rubber around the bottom, had issues forever, took it back in and was told I needed a new window motor and it would cost over $500. I went home and ripped the rubber out, thing worked fine (till the button shorted out-replaced that and the window motor still works, hmmmm) Another time I took it in 3 times for an oil leak-paid every time and it still leaks today. Had the power steering pump replaced and now it is going bad again. -Those were all at the dealer. Now for some reason, I get to fill it up every few weeks with a FULL bottle of coolant. Fun stuff. I loved this car when I bought it. Guess I know why they stopped making Pontiac.
  • Ed - no, I got an email from GM asking for more information; which I provided about 2 weeks ago. I have not heard anything back since then. I have to figure out my next step because my nephews car is just sitting in my driveway since he can't afford a new tranny.
  • Ezurawek,

I'm sorry for the delay on our end. There may have been some confusion on our end as two of us are responding to the emails we receive from Edmunds. Have you heard from Christina at all? Again, I apologize for the confusion and want to make sure that you are assisted.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Sarah. As of today I have not been contacted by Christina regarding this matter.
  • I am so very sorry about this. If you're willing, please re-send the email to either the address on my profile or to socialmedia@gm.com.
    Thank you for your patience,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Now why would GM replace your transmission???? They are in the business of selling new cars mandated by smarter folks with the insight of knowing how to design and produce cars which you should have had in the first place..Otherwords, the old GM was a loser and now under the guise of Govt Motors, tough luck..$2800 is probably 1/2 of the Grand Prixs value..Let the car have a new owner by hook or crook..

Yes, I have a 2006 GPGT showing 64k, no tranny problems, but it has had its share of ilks..5 batteries, 3 steering shafts, 3 sets of tires, and new engine mounts..Picked this car up in 2007 with 4k miles at 1/2 price. I really don't have any complaints, but the first sign of a tranny glitch it will have a new owner..

The 260 hp S/C V-6 is fun, and the sunroof is a Fla must have, runs on a diet of "Royal Purple oil", changed every 6k miles, tire rotation at same interval, rebalance if necessary.. The car is vibration-free at flat out top end..Brake are original, never touched..

Having owned 54 cars to date, this GPGT is okay, not great, and will remain in my garage for awhile longer..Having owned 74, 76, and 77 GPs with big block V-8, those were fun cars, and took the abuse well..

If GM replaces any trannies on the cars owned by posters on this forum, I would certainly like to know.. Best of Luck..Happy Motoring.. next car is a 5.0 GT Stang..
  • Okay, you want to hear about them replacing one here you go. I called GM Corporate, because I wasn't getting anywhere with CUSTOMER SERVICE. The executive office, was a different story. GM rebuilt my tranny & paid for my rental AT NO CHARGE. 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear were completely burnt, by no fault of mine. I guess the threat of suing might have helped also. Apparently if you want something done first you need to go over customer service's head & be a [non-permissible content removed], got my tranny rebuilt! :D
  • ezurawek,
    My advice to you is to call GM world headquarters, DO NOT waste your time with customer service. You can find the number on the internet. This is a problem with the GP that GM needs to take responsibility for.
  • tom_ntom_n Posts: 2
    Hey bbaisden. Would you please post the contact information for the individual you contacted at GM Corporate? If you would, we can all get something done and you will be everyone's hero!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    I'm sorry, but we don't permit posting names or contact info for individuals. If there is a publicly-available corporate number, it's fine to post that here.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Good Work!!!!! I see where you had a warranty policy that expired a few weeks before the tranny gave out..You were a concerned automotive owner by purchasing an extended warranty and timing wasn't on your side, however, by climbing the corporate ladder and showing the great "American Spirit", you wiped out the dissenters.

I had a 1998 Olds Intrigue GLS repurchased by GM back in 1999, using only email and fax contact..Refund was full purchase price less $800 for 26k miles..Great deal. Did that on a 26 ft sport boat in the late 70s, whereas the original engines were removed from the questionable hull and installed in a new hull 2 yrs later at no charge..the engines had only 33 hrs of running time over 2 yrs..

The GXP is a quirky car with the truck V-8, 4 spd auto and two different sizes of tires/rims..Looked like a "money pit" on tire replacement..

Enjoy your refurbished GXP, Happy Motoring................
  • drvettedrvette Posts: 99
    edited December 2011
    Many posts here regarding the same issues, hopefully some of the following will help, someone at least..

1.Service Bulletin Number : 08-07-30-016
    DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION ON MH1, MN8, MT1, M15 TRANSMISSION SLIPS, WILL NOT SHIFT OR MAY OVERHEAT, SES/MIL MAY BE ILLUMINATED, DTCS P0218, P0894 SET

2.Service Bulletin Number : 080730002

4T65-E MN7, M15 AND M76 FRONT WHEEL DRIVE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY RECONDITIONING, DTCS P0741, P0742, P0757, P842, HARSH SHIFTS OR SLIPS. *PE

3. Service Bulletin Number : 070730012
    4T65-E TRANSMISSION SLIPS, NO DRIVE/REVERSE, TCC SHUDDER, NOISE WITH TCC APPLIED. *KB UPDATED 08-15-07. *KB (DIAGNOSIS & REPLACE TRANSMISSION, IF NECESSARY).

4. Service Bulletin Number : 3657

HARSH SHIFT, NO POWER AND SES/MIL LIGHT ON WITH DTC P0742. *KB

Print this list, take it to the "Best" GM dealer nearby, regardless if they ever sold your make, take a sack of Apples for bribery, and ask for the head of the service dept.
    See if he KNOWS the TSB that applies to your vehicle.

Don't forget the apples, ya catch more flies with honey than bitching!!

You may consider taking some 'Eye-Candy" with ankle strap high heels, it never hurts.
    [coming from an ex-technician, I KNOW]

If No joy is obtained, go here and add your complaint at the bottom of this page also, note the GM Cust Ser e-mail at the bottom, try local fix's first.
    http://www.pontiacproblems.com/tsbs/Gra
    n...

One reader resolved similar issues by removing corrosion from the under-hood fuse panel, drivers side.

Remember that GM put the same driveline into many other cars, get any TSB # I posted, and Google it, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Edmunds explains TSB's
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-can

Here's another email that might come in handy if nothing else works.

gmcustsvcsarah
    sarah.gmcustsvc@gmail.com

Remember that "Recalls" are mailed to all owners of those vehicles
    TSB's are usually NOT addressed unless you complain,, and I might add, complain "in-time"

Worst option, file a complaint here
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Hope this mess of a message can be deciphered by the NSA/CIA for you :)
    DrVette
  • The links got all skewed when I c&p them

Anyway, here's a couple important ones.

How Can a [TSB] Technical Service Bulletin Help Me?
    link title

List of TSB's from 1966 - 2009
    link title">link title
  • A masterpiece of info and it gives hope to those who insist that GM is poised to fix anything that involves a major cash outlay..Out of warranty out of sight!!!

Maybe if one has had a GM dealer maintain the car over time it might offer some talking points.. One experience of mine was my wife's 91 Caddy Touring Sedan where the engine was replaced free of charge around 60k miles due to "piston slap." Clearly out of warranty, however the dealer had addressed this problem several times during the warranty period.. While the new engine was being installed, I bought her a 96 Caddy Sedan Deville at another dealer and broomed the 91 Caddy after 50 miles of test driving couple months later..

Pontiacs are history so anyone getting upset due to problems with your Grand Prix should forget about GM fixing it "free." The 3.8 engine is a cast-iron relic, however the supercharged 260 hp is a funbeast on the freeway..Stoplight zip is not its strong point and just might shorten the tranny life..Having owned 4 cars with the 3.8 V-6 std engine, I will say they are reliable and totally trouble free..however gutless..

No tranny problems.......................
  • Ok let me say this was my first Pontiac Grand Prix- Grandfather had retired from GM, Grandmother has driven a Grand prix as long as I can remember-Im 40+ now. My transmission probably started slipping over a year ago. Took it to a GM dealer ask for someone to drive it and run the codes. Didnt drive it and no codes. And could not be bothered to answer questions. It would only act up once in a while so no worries ( I thought) . So called GM to see if there was any issues wow just like the Government major run around. No one could help. So on Monday Dec 19, 2011 I am driving home from work and the transmission goes out on me. I am now stuck with a car that I cannot drive nor can I afford to pay to have the transmission fixed. What issues are there? Is there any recourse? Or am I stuck with a lawn ornament courtsey of GM? Cause from what I can tell this is a common issue>
  • drvettedrvette Posts: 99
    edited December 2011
    I must correct One incorrect statement,

"Pontiacs are history so anyone getting upset due to problems with your Grand Prix should forget about GM fixing it "

Any GM product dealer can warranty the Pontiac brand.
    Just last week I called my pal who is pretty high up at a GM new car dealership and gave him some bad news.

I told him that none vehicles they sold, gave me any thrill.
    Also that I was planning on buying a Chevy Cruze

He lowered his voice and told me that Chevy makes a good car.

I then asked about service, since the Chevy dealer here is pitiful, no wrong word,,, err, there isn't a word to describe this dealer.

Anyway, he said they would honor warranty gladly for me or anyone with a GM vehicle regardless of where it was purchased

Hopefully there are other fine dealerships like this one.

DrVette