Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    grandprix24,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with your dealer of choice? If not, I would recommend starting there. Please keep me updated.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 05 Grand Prix Basic model and I've experienced many problem i.e. engine harness, water pump, throttle body, tie rod, hub bearing etc.. On top of that I've had to maintain regular maintenance. Last winter I started noticing the trans slipping. Also, when the temp is below 50 degrees the car will not go in (D)rive; I have to put it in reverse first or wait until the car heats up. I would definitely be interested in re-cooping the cost of having the trans re-built, being that I will have to invest in that very soon.
  • I also have a 05 Grand Prix Basic model, and I am having transmission problems I was told that I have to have mine re-built pretty soon! It is going to cost me about 2,800 I am interested in what you are saying!
    lkcollins,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? Do you have this work done at a GM dealer? Please feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have noticed at times it does not go into drive if I am moving backwards at all. I am talking less than 1 mph. I use tap shift for braking and it hesitates dropping in to first, from 25 mph. I have had the car for 14 months and it has about 97,000 miles. Has anyone notice this before a big problem?
  • I have a 2001 GP GT. I had the same problem.
    CHECK THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER. Mine was clogged and caused the engine and transmission to run rough, not shift well, not accelarate, all of the issues you are experiencing. Alot cheaper to replace a CAT than a tranny.
    tiretroll,
    If you think you are experiencing concerns I would recommend speaking with the dealer and having the car checked out. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • My 2005 grand prix when changes from second two third it feels like is going over a bump. The dealer told me to wait until the whole thing goes bad and get a new transmission, and another mechanic told me I have a problem with one of my valves and maybe the cluctch, and the pump need replacing. I wish I would really know what is really the problem!
  • tiretroll,
    I had all the same problems that you are experiencing. The more I used the tap shift the worse the trans got.
  • I have a 2004 Pontatic Grand Prix and once in a while the REDUCE ENGINE light comes on, I lose power and can't accelerate pass 30 MPH. Everyone tells me its the catalytic converter - Please help or how can i check the problem.
  • I have spoke with GM Customer Service and they didn't offer any help. My car is a 2005 Grand Prix with 97000 miles and they told my the I would have to pay for a new transmission out of my packet. I think that there are so many people with grand prix having the same problem the gm should help us. Maybe that other person has the right idea about a class law suit!!!
    This is not right!
  • My nephew bought a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix which now has 82,000 miles on it. The car ran fine until recently the transmission started slipping. We brought it to a shop and they said it needed to be replaced or rebuilt for around $2,800.00. He is an 18 year old college kid left with no parents...is Pontiac doing anything about this or is he going to be left with no car now too?
  • I am trying to help my 18 year old nephew out, he is trying to put himself through college and has neither of his parents to help him. He came to see me over the weekend and the transmission in his 2007 Grand Prix is slipping so bad he can't drive it. We brought it to 2 places and both told us it was blown and needed to be replaced. It just started acting up a week ago and now we are being told it needs to be replaced?!?! There are several service bulletins as you pointed out. If Pontiac isnt addressing this I will join the suit. This kid has enough against him he doesn't need to be screwed by Pontiac now too. Please contact me.
  • I have contacted Pontiac several times and they don't care about this problem that is happenning to many grand prix owners. I am so sorry that this is happeing to you. I wish they would take care of this. I have to take my car in to get the transmission replace too,. and they told me is going to cost me 2,800. I hope we can all get together and do something about this...is just not right!
  • Ezurawek,

Thank you for your post. We can look into the situation further (see if any recalls are associated to your nephew's vehicle specifically/help you work with a dealership towards resolving this concern). Please email us with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi! I have a 2005 Grand Prix with the same transmission problem: slipping, long shift, the computer codes are a dictionary of transmission problems. Sarah, I will send you my information. Needless to say, I need a new transmission. I'm shopping for another car now. I'm 48 and since I was 16 I've owned GM vehicles. Unfortunately, it's become too much for me to continue to deal with these kinds of reliability problems.

The other day a guy in a 2005 Grand Prix pulled up next to me at a red light and asked how I liked my Grand Prix. I said it has a transmission problem and needs to be replaced. He replied "me too!".
  • I had the same issue. I ended up having the electrical hub replaced. Its the fuse box located under the hood to the left. Mine would get moisture in it from heat or humidity and the contacts were rusty and made my cars electrical systems respond with varying DBs. Had it replaced (GM part) for about $400....no problems since.

Good Luck :shades:
  • tom_ntom_n Posts: 2
    I'm on my third Grand Prix. For others with hard downshifting problems on OLDER 2000-2002 models, I found a bottle of Lucas Transmission Treatment worked pretty well.
    UNTIL THIS TIME.
    I own a 2008 GP GXP, and when I come to a stop sign and stop, then restart, the transmission is slow to go back into first gear. It hangs momentarily in neutral before slamming into low upon accelleration. Not real good for the transmission, and clearly leads to bigger problems. I would like to knnow specifically what controls these downshifts, and how to go about fixing it?
    Also, I wish I had a dollar for all of you complaining about GM transmissions.
    Safety organizations forcing recalls obviously think there is no danger in having your transmission malfunction in the middle of an intersection! Come on, GM! Where is your recall???!!!
    Tom_N
  • Surprise Surprise Another Grand Prix 2005 transmission problem ! I had mine in within 2 years and now with 79000 it's doing it every time the engine shifts as you go faster. GM should look into this problem !! Maybe this is why there are more foreign cars in America --- I have called dealership and will advise what is said..
  • Looking forward to the update, jzeimer. If we can be of any assistance in the meantime, please email us more information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service