Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission Problems

Comments

• I definitely feel your pain my friend and I definitely agree that GM should stand by their product. I am afraid that we are STUCK with it. My wife's 2006 Grand Prix GXP had to have the transmission replaced at around 80,000 some odd miles. We went the Jasper route also. I saw on another forum that someone had the same problem and GM reimbursed them about 1/2 the cost. I followed the steps that he mentioned to me and was told by Pontiac customer care that if we had used a certified GM service center we MIGHT have gotten something from GM but since we used a local shop & Jasper tranny we were just out of luck.

My wife loves her car and I am like you I don't want to keep sinking money into an endless pit. Please keep me informed if you find out ANYTHING helpful.
  • Acura is suppose to be a luxury car . It makes no sense that they are making cars with terrible transmission problems. Most of these problems may be because the tranny filters are not servicable as they are built tight into the transmission.

We may need to take up this matter to President Obama and deal the situation just like what Obama did it with Toyota's unintented acceleration. This was going on since 1999 and they keep dumping cars with trasmission issues.
  • When on the interstate,with speed of 70 mph or over,the car starts kicking in and out of over drive sporadically causing the tack to jump between 1 and 3. Please if anybody knows what is wrong please help.
  • I had a similar experience on my GXP and GM changed the transmission. Mine started off like that and progressed to all speeds, I'm not convinced its not a computer problem and the slipping in and out of overdrive is not a symptom of the bad cptr that progresses to kill the transmission. My new trans is a little over a yr old and it's starting it again. If u have a ck eng light look for code po328. Good luck the trans cost me over $3300!
  • It has not done it in any other speeds, just when i am traveling on the highway and at speeds 70 mph or more, also have noticed that it sometimes does it when i am traveling up hill on the highway. The tac meter jumps up and down. I don't have a check engine light,never had one on or come on since it started doing this..... Just wanting to know if anybody knows what is wrong with it and if anybody knows how to fix it?????
  • markg16markg16 Posts: 14
    edited January 2013
    That's exactly the way mine started too. Subtle at first...then worse at slower and slower speeds. Eventually your Torque Converter will explode internally....destroying your entire transmission.

You are #334 that I know of so far.....and GM will screw you.
  • We have a 2006 Grand Prix GXP. Tranny went out. My best advice to you is have a GM service shop do the work. Contact Pontiac customer service and see if they can reimburse you for some of the repair costs. My wife had a local service shop do the work. We contacted Pontiac customer service because another person on this website said they got half their cost back. We were left with the whole thing just because GM didn't do the repair. GM DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS! The transmissions have been a big problem on several of GM's products but they will not do a damn thing about it. I work for Toyota and they aren't without their problems. Everyone knows about their recalls but they will take responsibility and stand behind their product. GM should have shut down and not gotten help from the bailout. I have driven and owned GM products since I was old enough to drive. That's all my parents owned also. But I don't believe I will own another one after all of the grief I have experienced and by the messages I continue to get from people suffering the same trouble we did.

Good luck to you and I hope they will help you with your problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Sorry to hear about the troubles you're having with your Grand Prix, robrulz! Have you made any progress on this since your last post?
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • ann75ann75 Posts: 4
    i have a 2006 gxp that had same problem last year at 75000 miles. Car was never driven hard. I contacted GM and I had to take it to a GM dealership for inspection but they did replace the tranny with a $1000 deductable. My problem started on the highway first then on hills and was starting to do it in lower speeds when i got it fixed. It has been a year and I plan to trade the car soon before I have any further problems
  • No.... I haven't made any progress on what the problem is or how to fix it. I have had people tell me that it is the transmission and it will get progressively worse over time and i should take it to a GM Service Center. I took it in when it first started doing this and they told me that it was the throttle body... I had them put a new one in and it didn't fix the problem, i am still having the same problem and it is getting worse and to make the problem worse my warranty has ran out now and if it is the transmission i can't afford to fixed it now. I wish they would of fixed it properly the first time so i wouldn't be still dealing with this issue now. All i want is to know what exactly is wrong with it and how to fix it.
    robrulz,
    If you were planning on returning to the dealer, we can look into this further with them. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation).

• I am the proud owner of a 06 Gxp with 103k miles.It looks really good sitting in front of my house.I've had it for less than three months and its been diagnosed with a bad trans. :mad: I usually do research on a car before I buy but this time didn't.Big mistake on my part.I googled trans problems for this model yesterday and boy was I hit with a brick in the head.I'm glad I came across this site because I see that I'm not the only one with a head wound.When I put it in reverse it goes but when I shift to drive it may go until I come to a stop light.I have to turn it off for a few minutes and then It may go a few feet and repeat.I can't afford a transmission seeing that I'm on the third month of my payments.Dealership couldn't help because I didn't purchase warranty,so I will keep checking back here for any ideas.
  • drb10drb10 Posts: 5
    This car not only has transmission problems, I had to put a new one in last year 2005 Grand Prix, the brakes are an arm and leg to replace. But I love the way it runs.
    edited January 2013
    I feel your pain fleetwood90. I bought my 2007 GXP new...so I didn't have the advantage of websites like this.

The worse part is GM's total disregard for their customers. I've been a GM man for 35 years...owned at least 17 brand new GM products....but thanks to the way they treated me....and all of you....I will never buy another GM product...ever.

These GXP's should have been recalled years ago....and repaired 100% by GM. But those losers refuse to do anything about it.

Here's the website to report GM and their lack of action on this huge problem

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
  • My wife today reported to me she had an Automatic Transmission problem shifting into a higher gear than it should have with a lot of noise at low speeds, forcing her to limp home through our subdivision. I immediately took a look, turned it on, popped the hood and checked the trans fluid. Last month I checked the fluid, it looked like the fluid level between the Full and Add holes on the stick. Today it looked over full, and rather bubbly. The Trans operating temp was stable at 201'. Then I took for a test drive. 10 minutes of subdivision driving, then onto the highway and then returned home through the sub again. No problem found.

Next I came to this forum, and I am amazed to find so many folks having this exact issue, so I know my wife experienced something, likely transmission slippage, possibly due to the computer not knowing how to deal with a possible change in transmission performance, and started acting like a beginner learning how to drive a stick.

The GP has only 69K, purchased 2 yrs ago under 50K. I'm a loyal GM buyer, currently there are four other Pontiacs in my driveway:

1999 Grand Am SE/2.4L with 302K. Owned since 2001 at 45K. Best car ever, it has original everything, until 285K, ran like a champ. Then the water pump finally sprang a leak, which my Good Year shop replaced along with the timing chain. Never ran well after that. Good bye Good Year.

2004 Grand Am SE/2.2L with 129K. Owned since 2006 at around 45K. Not a lucky car. That same year, Tropical Storm Erin caused flooding and destroyed the engine. So the engine was replaced, and then died again at 127K when my daughter burned out that engine not changing oil. The engine was rebuilt for 3K, and it remains a decent car, hope to get my moneys worth out of it.

2004 Grand Am GT/V6 with 99K. Owned since new. Running great, not much to say about it except it is sexy.

2008 G6/V6 with 80K. Owned since 71K last year, and is quite sharp.
  • ann75ann75 Posts: 4
    This is how my problem began. I had trans replaced at 75000 miles last year. GM did assist with cost but you have to call their customer service and have it checked out and done at GM dealership. It has been a chronic problem with these cars. Should have been a recall done
    dblake78250,

If you would like for us to help get you set up to get this checked into by a dealership, or want for us to follow up on any visits you may have already made, we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• savvytsavvyt Posts: 1
    I am also having he same problem with my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. What is GM doing about this problem in so many of its cars?
    Not a thing.

A decent company would have enacted a recall and paid 100% of the repairs.

GM on the other hand refuses to accept responsibility for this overwhelming problem.

Please file a complaint with NHTSA at this address:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
  • NOT A DAMN THING. THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT! ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY DON'T EVEN MAKE PONTIAC ANY MORE. I WISH I HAD FOUND THIS SITE BEFORE I BOUGHT THE ONE WE HAVE.

The only thing I can tell you is if you have a transmission replaced - better do it through a GM certified shop like the dealer. My wife had a local mechanic replace her tranny with a Jasper tranny. We contacted customer relations for GM and tried to see if we could get some compensation but since a dealer service shop didn't do the work, no luck. The dealer cost to replace the tranny was practically the same as the shop my wife used. So check prices and be smart. The Jasper tranny comes with a 100,000 mile warranty btw. Good luck with it. I just gave you more help than I got from GM. lol pathetic car company.