Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Honda CR-V Maintenance

Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
The Edmunds Maintenance Guide hasn't been updated for the '07 CR-V yet. Maybe they are trying to figure out what to put in it.

The free maintenance BMW models have an Inspection I or II service (MB is similar iirc), and I think those inspections are triggered by the "wrench" light. The guide lists what items get serviced or replaced on the BMW inspections - maybe the owner's manuals do too? Otherwise those owners are in the same canoe as CR-V owners.

Comments

• fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    I agree with you a 100% my reply was meant for isellhondas because he thinks that a service history is the same as a maintenance schedule.
    Also according to the Honda service dept. if you follow a written schedule it would make the maintenance minder useless, you can't do both.
    That is why there is no hard copy of a maintenance schedule.
    As a retired mechanic I have been doing my own maintenance for over the last 35 yrs. using common sense and a written schedule.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I think what we want to see is the maintenance minder calling out the maintenance events as appropriate (based on actual driving conditions), but we want to know what the maintenance events are going to be, about when they will be, and about how much they would cost. That's not asking for a lot.

Independent of the maintenance minder, it would be nice to know that there is an air filter replacement recommended at some point, a fluid change at some other point, etc. I am kind of surprised rough guidelines are not published somewhere -- seems like an oversight. Without a real guideline, I think using the 06 model's normal maintenance schedule is a good way to get an idea about the requirements for the 07. For some drivers, the maintenance minder might come up with a lighter schedule, for others a more severe schedule. But it would be good to know a nominal schedule in some way.
  • bravedavebravedave Posts: 100
    EXACTLY :) I aggree with you 100%. Also, using the 2006 as a guide is prolly not a bad idea. Thank you...
  • MB & Audi discontinued their free maintenance programs. BMW and Land Rover are pretty proud of theirs & have kept them; I want to say that Saab and Jaguar offer free maintenance on at least a few of their vehicles, if not all of them. Personally, I think free maintenance was a pretty spiffy feature that Audi and MB were foolish to get rid of. I know it's expensive, but that's a significant and tangible benefit to owning those luxury vehicles, especially since a huge number of them are leased.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    I still do not see any substantiation from your reply about how you KNOW (not guess, not philosophy of the black box) that the data is not maintained.

I don't think anyone outside of a Honda software engineer would know.
    From the owner's Site, still no mileage for each. This this list, you could take your 2007 to someone other than the dealer for maintenance. Just keep the documentation.

Maintenance Minder A Scheduled Maintenance
    Recommended service for your 2007 Honda CR-V:

Replace engine oil*1

*1: If the message "SERVICE" does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.

Independent of the maintenance items in the information display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.

Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).

Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 only if they are noisy.
    ------------
    Maintenance Minder B Scheduled Maintenance

Replace engine oil*1 and oil filter

Inspect front and rear brakes

Check parking brake adjustment

Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots

Inspect suspension components

Inspect driveshaft boots

Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)

Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids

Inspect exhaust system#

Fuel lines and connections#

*1: If the message "SERVICE" does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.

#: See information on maintenance and emissions warranty on page 262 of your owner's manual.

-----------
    Maintenance Minder 1 Scheduled Maintenance

Rotate tires
    ------------
    Maintenance Minder 2 Scheduled Maintenance

Replace air cleaner element
    If you drive in dusty conditions, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

Replace dust and pollen filter
    If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

Inspect drive belt
    -------------
    Maintenance Minder 3 Scheduled Maintenance

Replace transmission fluid

------------
    Maintenance Minder 4 Scheduled Maintenance

Replace spark plugs

Inspect valve clearance
    --------------
    Maintenance Minder 5 Scheduled Maintenance

Replace engine coolant
    --------------
    Maintenance Minder 6 Scheduled Maintenance

Replace rear differential fluid
    The owner site still has the message about the initial oil change:

"Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."
    I highly recommend that new 2007 owners register their VIN at the Owners Link:

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda

They will send e-mails in case of recall, etc.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Yep. And in my 1998 Accord, and in 2000 Civic, I left the original oil in for the recommended 7500 miles. The story will be the same for the 2006 TL.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Same thing with our TSX -- the dealer advised us to wait for the first 10K oil change and not to change it sooner. I believe the break-in oil has Molybdenum disulfide added (moly grease is also use when assembling the engine, and mixes into the oil). This makes the oil look blacker than normal, and I am sure many people think it's dirty and change it too soon, negating the wear-in benefits of moly. I am glad to see Honda is noting this on the owner site now.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    Ah...nothing is "free".

They simply roll it into the price of the car.

Sounds good though!
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 only if they are noisy.

When an intake or exhaust valve becomes noisy it means the valve clearance is too much and it can be adjusted before it takes a toll. However, when a valve clearance becomes too tight, there won't be any noise, but if kept unchecked and gets worse it could cause a burnt valve, more than likely an exhaust valve. This doesn't apply to the six cylinder engines. Just my two cents worth.
    Valves very seldom move to the tight side, this applies to all engines.
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    "Valves very seldom move to the tight side, this applies to all engines."

After doing several thousand valve adjustment in twenty years I respectfully disagree - extech2
    I have been doing them for over 42yrs. 4, 6 and 8 cyl. How many have you found that were tight with out somebody putting them there. Not too many. Customers only complain when they are noisy.
  • Hi All,
    Just Completed my first 3000 Miles on my 07 CRV. Please suggest when do I get it done my first Oil change and service.

Your suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Regards
    Ram
  • calviccalvic Posts: 6
    I too disagree, I personally have seen new engines with valve lash to tight!!

JJ
  • The 2007 CR-V has a maintenance minder built into it, that monitors your driving habits and conditions (temperature, etc.), to determine the best time to perform each maintenance cycle. If you press your trip odometer button a couple of times, it will eventually circle around to where you'll see the "oil life" remaining. That percentage gives you an idea of how much time you have left, before you'll be notified that your CR-V is due to service.

In general, you don't want to change it before that number gets down to 15%, at which time, it will also let you know what other services need to be performed. At 3000 miles, you're probably running somewhere around 50% (depending upon your conditions, of course).

If you check the owner's manual, it provides a pretty good explanation of the process, and what types of messages you can expect to see.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Hi All,
    Just Completed my first 3000 Miles on my 07 CRV. Please suggest when do I get it done my first Oil change and service.

Your suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Regards
    Ram

I can read the OWNER's MANUAL to you for a small fee. :D

If I just spent $25,000 on a car, I would make sure that I operate properly, just like Honda engineers intended for it to be operated.
    "can read the OWNER's MANUAL to you for a small fee. "

Since there is no maintenance schedule in the owners manual for 2007, I don't see how reading it would help.