Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• I am picking up my first MB 2002 E320 today 3/30/02.Can anyone tell me about CD changer for my E320? My dealer wants $850.00 he said this is invoice. If you have information please let me know.
  • The CD changer on my 1998 E320 failed shortly after the warranty was up. My local MB dealer directed me to a nearby independent store who fitted an Alpine changer (model ALP CHMS620) which looks similar to the one that was removed.
    The cost was $275 including installation with a 12-month guarantee. Seems to work fine.

In my opinion the Bose audio system on the E series is good but not brilliant, and does not warrant spending $850 on a CD changer.
  • cwradiocwradio Posts: 2
    A local dealer has a 2001 new E320 on the floor. The car has the sports package, heated seats, bose system w/ 6cd changer. Black ext/ charcoal int. Any idea why a 2001 would still be around (fifty three actual miles)? Any idea how steep the discount should be based on your experiences?
  • savlisozsavlisoz Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone!
    I am looking to buy a 1994 0r 1995 E320.
    I have been in love with this car for as long as I can remember.
    I have found one, a 1994 with 54k miles, lady driven. Black with silver bottom panels.
    They are asking for 14K dollars. I think it's a good price. Can someone give me some pointers as to what I should look out for on these cars? Are they realiable? Is there a way to tell if it has traction control or not?
    I await your reply.
    Thank you!
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    Best advise is to take the car to an independent MB mechanic and have a thorough inspection. Even after it gets a passing grade, plan for expensive maintenance. After all, it's an 8 year old car and Mercedes parts and labor are on the high end of the scale.
  • schnops33schnops33 Posts: 3
    I've been told that the new '02 E320 I purchased is not compatible with all CD changers because it has fiber optics cable connection. Does anyone know where I can buy a compatible changer besides the dealership who want an arm and a leg for one? Please provide model no. if possible.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Posts: 505
    schnops33:

Jeez, you could have bought (bid on it) one on eBay two days ago. It had been removed from an S class 2 days after being installed. I think it sold for under $200 with the fiber optic adapter. You might check eBay from time to time. Almost any CD player (Alpine for sure) will work if you can get the fiber optic adapter elsewhere. I just won an auction on eBay for an uninstalled Alpine CD changer for under $150 w/shipping. It is supposed to have the warranty card with it too. I've got a 96 E which does not have the fiber optic but it does have the special adapter for MB already installed. My current CD changer has stopped working; so I needed a replacement.
  • schnops33schnops33 Posts: 3
    Thanks, Microrepair. Too bad I missed that sale. I'll check Ebay occasionally for another. You say any CD will do if it has a fiber optic adapter? Will the sound quality be the same as one that's an OEM Benz CD?
  • I went with Becker for my '02 430. I paid about $300 for it; it has the M-B logo on it...works just fine. I believe that Becker makes the OEM Stuff for M-B. I went through Perzan Auto Radio in Philadelphia (mail order). Here's the site for Becker: http://www.beckerautosound.com/. I couldn't paste the dealers site, but it's easy to get to. Also, you might want to try calling Becker directly - if they ask, you may want to say you're a dealer, then you get the dealer price (it's very good). (I let my tongue slip, but got the same price through Perzan). Since you spent the money to get the Benz, no need to save the $100 for non-OEM stuff that may not really work. The Becker stuff comes w/ warranty and it is made for the Benz. It is ridiculous that a 70K 4-matic 430 comes without a CD Changer isn't it??
  • Hi my name is Khurram and I just bought my first MB, a 1997 Black on Black E320 with only 30,000 miles for 24,000 excluding tax. We just had our first child...a baby girl...and I wanted to go all out so I picked my wife up from the hospital in a limo and the E320 was parked with a big red bow on the driveway :)

So far I havent had a chance to really review the car, I will say that other then seeming a little sluggish even compared to my Montero...the ride is a dream....Im definitely torn apart by my love for my wife, the new baby...and the E320...especially since it will be my wife's car and shell do most of the driving in it!
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    Which years are the better ones. When I compare 1987 300E to 1995 E320, I see a world of difference and also improvement eventhough basic design of the old(er now that 2003 E series are out)goes back to 87.

Do 96-up series drive and handle significantly better than 94-95's. The look of the 94-95 gages remind me of my dad's 1973 MB 220. I have so much good memories from that car. With its 2.2L 4 cylinder engine,4 speed maunal transmisson, and manual sliding sunroof, I used to push it at 100-110MPH all the time. I loved that car.

I know 94-95 feel much more solid than newer E's.
  • Hi guys,

I am the proud new owner of an E320 here in Toronto. Got an excellent deal up in Sudbury (paid about 2k off MSRP). It is silver with black interior. Very nice car...

Any questions about it fire me an email
    Nick
    nk1@rogers.com
  • Hello, my name is LavelleC. I just bought a 1997 E-420 (52000 mi) Silver w/ Black interior w/ xenon lights, hands-free cellphone and CD changer. I bought it on E-bay and flew from my home in Washington state to Long Island,NY to pick it up. Drove it back across the US. I love the car. My previous cars were Toyota, Mazda, Volkswagon, Ford, Chevy and there is no comparison. I have been reading all the Mercedes Town Hall posts for about a year (anticipating my purchase) and saving the informative ones under classifications (like oil changes, etc.) Thanks to everyone for being such a great source of information. I also bought Zaino before purchasing the car and hauled it on the airplane with towels, etc. so I could apply it on the car before driving it back. I also would be very interested in DIY maintenance posts.
  • jbariljbaril Posts: 25
    My name is John and I owned an 87 300E back in 99, then traded it in on a 01 Accord (yecch), which I traded in on a 00 Hyundai Sonata (better), which I traded in on an 01 New Passat GLS-V6 (wonderful car, but...), which I traded in yesterday on my 94 E320 with 94K, imperial red with parchment. Am I nuts or what?

Anyway, just put new Michelins on it which changed the ride entirely (the dealer had Continentals ContiTouring 195/60/15 on the front and some crappy BFGoodrich tires 195/65/15 on the rear).

Well, at least it came with a 12K/12month power train warranty, plus I like this dealer and they've been around for 25 plus years in the metro Denver area, selling pre-owned Mercedes.
  • retnavretnav Posts: 25
    At post 55/16 Oct 02/ nkoutsoukis reported buying a new 2003 E320. I currently own an Acura RL (2000) and am considering buying a new E. My Acuras have had minimal problems. I am interested in current E320 owners experiences with their cars and are they, you post 55, happy with your car. The problems board lists just enough problems to make me want to explore with current owners their feelings. Thanks in advance.
  • i have my 2003 e320 for about 2 weeks now and love it so far. glad i bought the sport package but still wonder whether i should have gone with e500 instead. well, can't have it all ...
  • ebl99ebl99 Posts: 1
    For "retnav" and others considering an MB E, I have a '99 E320 bought new and have had absolutely no problem. The "alert" system first advised me of maintenance at about 11,000 miles and the second at 22,000. The only charge was for material used. We have fine dealer with pro service. I had driven Cadillacs or Lincolns for the last 35 years. America first, you know. Kids talked me into the Mercedes for safety, they said. As an OLD former fighter jockey it sort of made sense. I have not regretted it a moment and plan to replace it, when the time comes, with another. For what it's worth, the 320 is exactly the same as the 4 or 5 except for $$$ and engine. If not totally on the highway all the time, like 30-50,000 a year it would be hard to justify the extra cost. Now, if I were driving that much, it would be the "S" for sure. What a car!!! But, around town, the E turns and handles much easier, has tremendous zip. I had a ticket reduced from 115 to 65 in a 55 by explaining I had a new fabulous car and I just had to see how it would do. He spent 10 minutes asking questions about it, talking about his motorcycle and asked me to please hold it down on his watch. I HAD NOT REACHED IT'S MAXIMUM. So, for this old goat with a child like mind it has been a joy. Just be sure you get TWO (2) windshield wipers or don't go out in the rain. Keep the faith, keep 'em flyin' and gig 'em Aggies.
  • beepabeepa Posts: 12
    Well "New" owner, not new car. My name is Andy and I hail from Western Mass. I just purchased a 1999 Mercedes-Benz E320 4MATIC AWD Sedan w/26K. This was a HUGE decision, mainly because for the last 20 yrs. or so I've owned trucks, vans or an SUV (all domestic). My wife's past few cars have been Volvo's, Audi's and presently, a 98 BMW 528. After getting over the hump of not buying another truck, I test drove Saab, Acura, Lexus and lastly, the E320. It was love at first drive! I told my wife, if I'm going into a car, this is it! I'm purchasing a 5yr/100000mi extended warranty because of the stories I've heard, with regards to costs for repairs and I'm not wealthy. The car is fully loaded, even has Satellite Navigation. I'm picking it up tomorrow and will post impressions and/or issues later.
    Nice to be aboard.......I hope!