Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Versa Tire and Wheel Questions

2»

Comments

• longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    We are also looking at what the options are for a couple of teenagers. To be honest, these guys arn't car guys. ...sigh.

So then, what we have decided is that for these kids, we want a car that has the best reliablity and longest warranty on the planet.

They all love our Versa, but according to the newest info on reliabilty and 5 to 10 year warranty,..it will be a Hyundai.

The Elantra beat the Civic for top spot by 1/2 a point on reliability, but our new 2003 Honda Odyssey 3 year warranty seemed to run out overnight.

USE THE SLIDESHOW FEATURE TO ENLARGE AND SCROLL

http://picasaweb.google.com/longo3002/VersaPics
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The oldest wants the Elantra and her sister wants a Mini, which I doubt she'll get. We're also thinking that they should lease to start building some credit history and hopefully with full time employment around the corner, they can get what they want after the lease period is over. I want them to get a 1st car that's "cheap to keep" so that reliable transportation won't be an issue.
    Now we're also floating around the idea of buying a "retirement" condo in Orlando for them to live in and pay us rent until we retire in a few years. A win/win situation for us all we think. Looks like it's gonna be an expensive 6 months in our house. Ah, the duties of a parent go on and on...lol!

The Sandman :)
  • Just to let you know. I had this light go on. It turned out that I had a welding nail in my tire and had to have it fixed. My dealership was not able to fix punctures on the weekend so I went to Sears. They sealed the tire. When I left Sears the light was still on and they did not have a manuel. They said the light will re-adjust in a few miles and it did. No light going on since.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,914
    About my only "complaint" about my Versa was the Continental tires that came on it. I wasn't impressed with their traction, especially in wet conditions, and I pushed it to squeak 30,000 miles out of them. I would have changed them at about 20,000 if it hadn't been coming into warmer weather.

I've got about 8,000 on the Cooper CS4's I put on and they're definitely wearing better and have better traction than the Conti's

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I took a bit of time to closely inspect my Cooper CS4's yesterday. Over 9000 miles and they seem to holding up just fine as I approach the second rotation. The OEM Continentals were showing noticeable wear just 6 months and about 6,000 miles into their lifetime

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Finally got to put the new tires to the test in winter conditions. The Cooper CS4's are SO much better than the OEM Continentals were. Certainly a dedicated snow tire would be better, but I'm pleased with the choice.

• garydcrgarydcr Posts: 3
    If you put your heater on defrost most cars are disigned for A/C to come on automatically. This helps the defrost to defog the windshield more quickly and keeps A/C compressor lubricated inside during offpeak (winter) nonuse off A/C.
    Well I'm loving the Cooper CS4's I put on 27,000 miles ago. The OEM Continentals were completely shot at 30,000 miles, but these CS4's ride quieter, have better traction, and if tire tread depth is any indicator, are going to have about double the tire life of the Conti's.
    I had been using Kelly Navigator Golds on my vehicles for years, but they don't come in the Versa tire size so my good buddies at Tire Town put me onto the Coopers.

And if you're thinking I put a lot of miles on my car you would be right! Having a kid involved with AAU basketball will do that to you... in a hurry! I can't wait until she starts playing in college ;)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    AAU basketball. I haven't heard those terms of basketball usage for quite some time. Obviously it's a level of ball that's still alive and well, and probably just as competitive as the AAU League's that existed when my Dad played AAU and college basketball.

Good for you and for her, it sounds like a blast! ;)

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• Has Anyone Else had any luck resolving the constant replacement of hubcaps in the 2007 hatchback? I have lost my second one and haven't had the car a year. When I took the car in I thought since I had retrieved the hubcap from the ditch it rolled into, that they could put it back on. No! So if they can't superglue them I have to be on constant hubcap patrol and can never hit a bump again? I finally talked with the sales mgr there and he said I had to wait and come back in a month but they would take care of it. What happens next time? I feel super cool driving around without a hubcap for a month and chasing rolling hubcaps into ditches. The service guy offers me no direction or suuport, just asks me what have I have running over? He has to have heard this before.
    I have over 62,000 miles on my 2007 and haven't had any issue with the wheel covers at all, and trust me, I've hit some tank traps on the roads in PA!

• longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    Not sure how much of a DIY'er you are but here's my solution to the same problem I had with a wayward plastic wheel cover on my VW Jetta TDI.

There are several flexible 'fingers' around the inside of your wheel cover that get forced into the little groove on your steel wheel rims. They have the difficult job of hanging on for dear life while all the time, sudden road shocks, hurricane force winds from your forward motion, centrifugal force, and just plain bad luck, are constantly trying to rip your wheel covers off, and send them flying down the road like a big Frisbee. ;)

Take off the rims and mix up some small 'teaspoon' size batches of JB Weld, apply it to the back side of each of the 'fingers' to stiffen them up. Do all of them so you don't throw your wheel out of balance.

The extra strength of the JB Weld material will force the little grabbers' to hold in the groove better, push on each finger to see where it bends the most and lay on the JB Weld at that point.

(I like the JB Weld with the 5 min. set up time best)

The hubcap will be a little harder to get on as the plastic fingers are now much tougher to bend, but once the wheel cover is hammered back on, that's the end of your problem.
  • dr_tazdr_taz Posts: 1
    The issue with Versas wheel covers falling off is a defective design. They fail by high cycle fatigue compounded by thermal ageing. The plastic standoff posts supporting the small diameter outer ring thermally age from a ductile mode to a brittle mode. High speeds, rough roads, and tires with less spring in the sidewalls accelerate the failure. The force transmitted by the vibration fatigues these posts which get weaker with age -faster in warm climates than in cold. The rear wheels will normally loose them first due to the stiffer suspension in the rear. I lost one rear at high speed in Northern CA on a medium rough road, it spun off, jumped a fence, and did a swan dive into a small aquaduct. I removed the remaining three and found several fatigue cracks in the other rear, but not in the front yet. The other rear came loose at ~25,000 miles (the first one failed at ~23,000 miles). Once it starts, they fail quickly.

The dealer replaced two of them without a hassle. But, wouldn't replace all 4. Only solution, other than doing a epoxy reinforcement job, it to replace them with decent aftermarket replica covers. They can be had for $40 to ~$60, set of 4, at Amazon.com. Covers only on for ~3,000 miles, but the retention is via spring steel tabs - much more vibration resistant.
    I guess experiences vary. My 2007 Versa has 78,000 miles on PA roads (not exactly the Autobahn) and no wheel cover issues at all. Tires rotated every 5-6000 miles so the covers are off and on. No signs of cracks yet. Certainly the wheel covers CAN crack, and can be cracked if you're not careful during removal/installation, but design defect?

• ravenmanravenman Posts: 4
    DEFINITELY a design defect! I've lost 2 in the past 3 months and I've been very careful on rough roads and going over bumps. The stock hubcaps are junk and Nissan charges the dealerships $60 apiece for them! The dealership said they would "find one around here somewhere" if another came off, but I think I've had enough of the flying hubcaps. I'll get a set at Walmart or an auto parts store and they will probably stay on considerably longer.
  • Really? I have 15k on mine and I've had all four fall off. Two while driving and 2 came off at the dealership I bought it from, but since they are no longer affiliated w/Nissan they can't do warranty work to replace them. Since no other dealer believes their wheel covers are defective, they won't replace them unless I pay 65 dollars a piece for them. I will NEVER buy a Nissan again!

We've always run all-season tires, and we've done quite well even in the worst of winters with the manual trannies we prefer. But this year, the wife's office moved a little further away and she has to go through some pretty rural areas so we decided to try out some Nokian snow tires for her Versa and I am really impressed with the traction in the snow as well as how quiet they ride on dry roads. And as far as i've been able to tell, there's very little hit on the mileage. Since these should last us at least a couple of seasons and I also drive a Versa, I'm thinking that next year we get a new set of them for her car and I run the set she currently has. I'm thinking we may be able to get by buying a new set every third year.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,316

I didn't know you got some Nokians, Sneakers. We got some WR-G2s on the Outback last winter and liked them so well I put some on the van. The ones on the Outback have seen a lot of use the last week with two late night drives in the snow.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

@Stever@Edmunds said: I didn't know you got some Nokians, Sneakers. We got some WR-G2s on the Outback last winter and liked them so well I put some on the van. The ones on the Outback have seen a lot of use the last week with two late night drives in the snow.

Ya, I'm really impressed with them, especially the quiet ride. And they only cost me about $40 more for the set of 4 than the Cooper all-season we normally run on. So I figure this will extend the life of those as well.

Mine are "all weather" so I'm just leaving them on year round. We don't do near the miles you do so mine will likely age-out by the time yours "tread out". They really helped wet traction on the van in summer rains.

I forget what model tire we got (I'll check when she gets back) but ours are snow tires and while they ride well enough to run all year, my gut is saying they might wear a bit faster than the all-seasons. We'll see.

edited December 2013

Yeah, mine seem plenty good enough even for the ~200" of snow we can get here, but when it's really bad out, we don't have to drive nor do we have a commute. Hard to beat dedicated snows when you really need to be able to get somewhere. I sure don't miss swapping tires or rims twice a year though.

@Stever@Edmunds said: Yeah, mine seem plenty good enough even for the ~200" of snow we can get here, but when it's really bad out, we don't have to drive nor do we have a commute. Hard to beat dedicated snows when you really need to be able to get somewhere. I sure don't miss swapping tires or rims twice a year though.

Ya, I get the "good buddy" discount on tire pricing but my tire store bud stopped storing certain customers summer/winter tires. Business just got busy and they needed the space. So I have my own tire rack in the basement! :)

2»